New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default TCG RPGs & A System to Bind Them...Anyone have one?

Before continuing, read the Yu-Gi-Oh folder. You read it? Good. Now, here's what I'm thinking.

The last time I built a mini-system to do something similar, the PCs didn't have specific cards, just a deck archetype and two skills for dueling, one for following the rules as written, and one for...well, pulling a Yugi and saying "Screw the rules, I'm the Pharaoh". I did this in an older version of Fate, and Deck Type was basically an Aspect you could buy more check boxes and use more times as the game progressed.

I want to rebuild this type of game, but this time I'm wondering if instead of Yu-Gi-Oh, I could just make a poorly-defined simulationist trading card game that's basically written-down Calvinball. Even better, to have the players duel things out with index card copies of their decks.

So, to recap: I want a ruleset, or some help tinkering with Fate Core, that will let me play an inconsistent trading card game where the card's stats are thrown out the window in favor of both Rule of Cool and External Consistency. What's out there besides FATE that could have this be a main feature, and still simulate the characters themselves doing stuff?
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: TCG RPGs & A System to Bind Them...Anyone have one?

For Fate, I'd try to come up with a list of "attributes" for your deck, represented as skills. Things like Power, Defense, Trickery, Recovery, stuff like that. (Hell, maybe just grab the approaches from Fate Accelerated Edition). When you make a BS move that relies on a powerful monster, attack with Power. When you set up some convoluted combo, Create and Advantage using Trickery. Stuff like that. You could then attach a few Aspects to each deck, say a High Concept ("all-out Dragon offensive") and a Trouble ("slow to set up"), to help the decks feel distinct.

I'd also consider having your Deck as a separate skill ladder from your normal one, especially if you wanted a lot of non-dueling action.

---------

A Calvinball-style TCG mechanic would be a lot harder to model with actual cards. You'd need to start with a full set of normal cards, then mix in "rules" cards that change how the game is played.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

There's solution nubmer one; off to build. Thanks Grod!

My main line for a "Calvinball card game" was from the original text of Maiki, the Magical Mist. A card game where there were some basic rules - Creatures, Spells, Equipment, maybe power levels or some such - but the special abilities are non-mechanical and were resolved with what amounts to debate, with more talent at arguing made you a better player AS WELL as some cards just being blatantly better (the pinnacle being 5 cards, one of each "effect type" [magic, blessings, martial arts, genetics and mind powers] being literal wild cards). Synergy between your cards, however, is by far more important (Computer-Managed Robot + Ghost in the Machine =...); original thought was characters get a certain amount of cards and would define "relationships" between them, but that's kind of weirdly subjective, even for this kind of thing.
    Last edited by JBPuffin; 2014-06-23 at 12:10 PM.
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JBPuffin View Post
    There's solution nubmer one; off to build. Thanks Grod!
    No problem. Post it on the homebrew forum when you're done; I'd love to see how it turns out.

My main line for a "Calvinball card game" was from the original text of Maiki, the Magical Mist. A card game where there were some basic rules - Creatures, Spells, Equipment, maybe power levels or some such - but the special abilities are non-mechanical and were resolved with what amounts to debate, with more talent at arguing made you a better player AS WELL as some cards just being blatantly better (the pinnacle being 5 cards, one of each "effect type" [magic, blessings, martial arts, genetics and mind powers] being literal wild cards). Synergy between your cards, however, is by far more important (Computer-Managed Robot + Ghost in the Machine =...); original thought was characters get a certain amount of cards and would define "relationships" between them, but that's kind of weirdly subjective, even for this kind of thing.
    Ehh, I don't think games that resolve by debate are a good idea. Especially something as competitive as a card game.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use