New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cool and/or Explanatory Names Are Overrated - In Character

"Why do you get to make up both what you call us and what we call you?" Hellen asks, pointing out how clearly one sided the statement was. So your name is monster then? I'm Hellen.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Firbolg in the Playground

"I tell you what you've called us, and what we call you, as you pretend not to know. You choose to call us monsters. I don't know what you call yourselves. Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs, apparently." He seems to ignore the second part of the question.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Reeling from the impact, Aeris gets up, and staggers off a bit, leaning heavily on the tree, before drawing his longbow.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"I personally like invaders, we should keep that as a name 'Sperr the invader'. Besides who cares about WHAT race of you invaded and ruined yet another part of untouched nature? It's not like it matters. Besides he is in a cult judging from the mark on this forehead."

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tjallen View Post
    "I personally like invaders, we should keep that as a name 'Sperr the invader'. Besides who cares about WHAT race of you invaded and ruined yet another part of untouched nature? It's not like it matters. Besides he is in a cult judging from the mark on this forehead."

"Yeah, I suppose so. Guess it's just business."
    Hellen agrees somewhat reluctantly.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"But what do you call yourselves? And what's wrong with being called a monster? Some people call me like that, out of awe and fear, and that's good!"

Magnus grows impatient with each wasted second, but tries to compose himself and sound polite to get the information that he needs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The heck, maybe knowledge checks will work to identify him after all.. Whichever works:
    Arcana: (1d20+5)[24]
    Religion: (1d20+5)[24]
    History: (1d20+5)[20]
    the Planes: (1d20+5)[19]
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

7. - Top - End - #307

"We call ourselves 'people.'" It speaks the last word as if it expects you not to know it. "We do not know what monster means, we don't know what is wrong with it."

Magnus:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Historically, in many societies, warriors were distinguished by their weapons, and the loss of one's weapon was considered to be like losing part of oneself. This string might represent the bond between warrior and weapon, and/or serve to keep it close.

The mark is very well a status symbol, showing that he could survive such a thing being torn into his forehead, and possibly distinguish his role or family within whatever society he comes from.

You guess he is a humanoid or, perhaps a monstrous humanoid, from his appearance, and how these things are common in humanoid/monstrous humanoid societies.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"This is almost priceless. So being the third side of this conflict I vote we recruit this guy and have him show us to the lighthouse and in return we help them wipe out the other invaders before leaving, I want that title just for us."

Looking around at the group Sperr adds:
    "Also I am just about out of spells."
    Last edited by Tjallen; 2014-09-28 at 11:58 AM.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

"Why are we trying to kill anything? We came here to explore the magic of the lighthouse shouldn't that be enough?"
    She did have problems of her own after all, and the sooner they finished with this the sooner they could... or might this be able to help... "On second thought, if we help you flush out these 'invaders', then would you be making us all the richer for it?"
    Spoiler
    Show

That's what we're missing, someone to demand money from the one side for killing the other!

10. - Top - End - #310

He looks around confusedly. "How can you back up your claim? What makes you invaders unlike other invaders?"

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Hellen shrugs. "How can you back up your claim that you aren't they either? You're alive and we're talking, isn't that enough?"

12. - Top - End - #312

He looks even more confused by Helen's continued speech, not seeming to understand its rhetorical nature. "If we were invaders, we wouldn't be fighting ourselves. I am alive, two of my kinsmen are dead. You are talking to me, and about me, determining how you'll use me. You have weapons ready. What makes this different that an attempt at sabotage?"

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"That it's directed at the 'invaders'? Hell, we might go to them with the exact same offer if you manage to annoy our leader too much." Sperr motions towards Aeris. "Hell, if not for him you would be as dead as your monster friends."

14. - Top - End - #314

"This is-" He stops himself and thinks for a moment. "Very well then, you will wipe out the invaders if we do… what exactly?"

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"I think you misheard, I said we would HELP you wipe out the invaders, after all fighting from ambush seems to be our strong point and not yours. And this all hinges on Aeris agreeing. And whatever terms the rest of the group sees fit to place." Sperr is wearing the same amused smile he wore most of the evening before.

Spoiler: Sense motive!
    Show
    Sense motive to see if he plans on actually going to make a deal with us.
    (1d20+6)[26]

16. - Top - End - #316

"Help us how?"

Sperr:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You don't think he trusts you, but is willing to make a deal, assuming it is a good one. He is wary of you, and not sure whether he should trust you to keep your end.

Switching those skills next IG day is fine.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Well leading us to where ever they are at night and making sure we are allowed to do what we do. Slitting throats and calling animals in would be what we do. Your job would depend on how well you see in the dark, picking out targets who are using torches is pretty easy after all. And chasing a druid through a forest is not something easily done."

18. - Top - End - #318

"So we show you where they are, and you'll attack them?"

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"In a way that makes sure we are not the target of their counter attack hopefully. And you and your people will be there making sure we all get out of it alive on the off chance someone is less stealthy than we thought. But of course we will need more information on how they live, burning down their houses will be hard if they live in caves for example. And if it turns out they are dwarves or orcs we might have to ambush them just after sunrise instead of in the middle of the night. After all defending against a small group willing to target support structures is harder than actually fighting the group. But yes kinda."

20. - Top - End - #320

"How does your 'leader' feel about this, and what do you want in return?"

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Hellen shakes her head, confused. "We have no real leader. Why are you telling the people man that we do? Trust is built on truth, everyone knows this, so let us share it freely in the hopes that we can all avoid being eaten my a giant centipede together." Hellen shivers at the thought.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Our leader is Aeris over there and since Hellen seem to think otherwise, there is a chance she will be going towards the lighthouse, probably through your territory, by her lonesome. But as for what we want it's quite simple actually: We want to go to the lighthouse, big tower or something that emits light. So if you could lead us there without murdering us that would be great."

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Hellen, rather offended, turns to the small man. "If you wish to enslave yourself to another then that is your own business, but you should not think to speak fro a group in such an instance, else that would make you an oppressive and stifling little man. Something I would never to presume until it is proven."

24. - Top - End - #324
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Listening in on all of this, Aeris looks to the others, seeing which way the wind was blowing.
    "If we manage to ge rid of the invaders, are you willing to guide us to the lighthouse, and tell us of your history, your traditions? Nothing secret, but such things are interesting."
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sperr just waves at her dismissively: "I really don't see how you earned the rights to be heard, after all you didn't do much did you? Hell, Sper and Rocinante are more deserving at this point. So before you continue yapping, consider how to make yourself useful."

26. - Top - End - #326

"I would be willing to do so, if you don't murder any more of us, and the murderer makes restitution."

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"What do you mean with 'Restitution'"

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tjallen View Post
    Sperr just waves at her dismissively: "I really don't see how you earned the rights to be heard, after all you didn't do much did you? Hell, Sper and Rocinante are more deserving at this point. So before you continue yapping, consider how to make yourself useful."
    Agreeing Hellen replies "I'm not sure why he should think he'd be head either, but that's no reason to put the man down. Apologize."
    Quote Originally Posted by rweird View Post
    "I would be willing to do so, if you don't murder any more of us, and the murderer makes restitution."
    Hellen grimaces. She may not have entered this with the intent to take anything away from it, but she had merchants blood and could feel when an opportunity was there to be had. Towering over the man she added And these reparations. I think we'd also like something of value for our efforts as well. Naturally if some people are in it purely for the knowledge they seek they may choose to forgo such a reward, but for the rest of us, exterminating a whole peoples is a dangerous business and one best compensated well, especially when commissioned by another such peoples.
    Spoiler
    Show

Whichever Cha based scocial skill check fits best. (1d20+4)[11]

29. - Top - End - #329

"That, you would have to discuss with the families of those you slew. If you cannot come to an agreement, your life would be forfeit." Turning to Helen, his eyes narrow, and for a moment he tenses. Then he relaxes. "It already appears you aren't part of this deal, as you don't follow the others leader, and the deal is with him. We won't promise you payment, but you can take whatever you find on the invaders. If you don't want a part in this, leave, and have no part in this."

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"And suddenly I don't really care much for your people. I am not sure I can think of a single reason for me to stand trial for defending myself in a lethal way."