New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Pirates of the Aether III: Epoch of Epics

The Lady's Gambit

The ship hovers, heavily damaged, over the island. While the surface was buzzing with activity over the night, it now lies quiet. Anjou's cruiser, The Inevitable, floats nearby, it's blue banners flapping merrily in the light breeze.

Standing with the rising sun behind her, Anjou looks perplexed. She takes a moments to think about what she just heard. She raises a finger to speak again, but quickly puts it back down. "I assure you I mean you or your captain no harm. I've been under a lot of stress lately, and I fear for the safety of your crew. I consulted the Eidolon, and I received an ill omen..."

Stoneforge marches onto the deck. "I heard someone was suggestin' that we salvage what we ken from the ships down below. I put togetha a couple o' dingies to git ya down there, if anyone want ta volunteer."
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-06-28 at 05:57 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pirates of the Aether III: Epoch of Epics

"Master Stoneforge, good man, that's exactly what I was looking for." Bellamy takes the list with a smile and looks over it, ignoring the holier-than-thou Anjou. It was probably unfair of him to judge the warrior like this but something about goody two shoes types always bugged him. Someone else could worry about omens and dodgy dreams. Bellamy had some scrounging to do and that meant killing the undead.

"I think I'll fly myself rather than take your dingy though, if you don't mind. I remember the first time I met you and you nearly dropped one of your experiments on my head."
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Aimari, having caught wind that the captain wished to speak to her again, makes her way up from her cabin back to the deck, taking a moment to look down at the island still crawling with undead. Her anger rises ever so slightly, eager to be unleashed onto the pale dead flesh of the wights once again. But she does nothing, instead moving back away from the edge of the ship to head to the captain's quarters. On her way, Aimari gives the strangers' ship a somewhat annoyed look, clearly not fond of its presence.

Walking past one of the strangers speaking to someone of the crew, Aimari finds her way to Kieran's quarters before knocking on it briefly, standing silently in front of the door.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

'Come in'.

Kieran looks up as Aimari enters.

'Ah, Aimari. Greetings. Glad tae see you. How are ye feelin'?'

Kieran rolls up his charts.

'Master Saltfoot recommends a raid on the docks tae get the materials we need tae fix the ship. I want tae have one last talk with the meldshapers first, so I havenae made up my mind yet. If we do go, I ken it's a lot tae ask, but would ye be willin' tae accompany us one more time tae face the dread beasties?'
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

Raif Clearsight, Human Cleric, A Thorn in the Hand.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=420661

Kieran Swiftsure, Human Rogue, Pirates of the Aether.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=422092

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Aimari enters silently, closing the door behind her before turning back to Kieran.

"I am doing well," she says, listening silently again when he speaks of negotiating with meldshapers. She isn't especially interested - negotiations weren't really in the area of things that fit her abilities, unless they turned sour and ended up as violent confrontations. As he asks her about going back to the docks, Aimari nods. "It would be pleasing," she replies, no hint of joy in her voice despite her words.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran has a strange expression on his face.

'Aye, I can always rely on you Aimari'.

He rises.

'Ye ken, ye're nae so much older than me little girl would be. An' yet so often have ye saved me life or me ship. Like las' night'.

'I ken so little about ye...yet after all we've been through, I'd trust ye with me life in a heartbeat. Dinnae ye think that's strange?'

Kieran shakes his head for a moment.

'Sorry...nae mesein today. Didnae sleep too well maybes'.

He offers his hand.

'Thank ye fer savin' me life again, Aimari'.

Kieran straightens himself.

'This willnae do, will it?'

Then a thought occurs to him.

I wonder if any of the folks we rescued last night would be any use fer raidin' the docks. Fer sure, some o' them may want revenge. 'Tis curious how it moves some people...

Thinking back to a certain man he'd known so briefly, now lost to the horror below.

I wonder if ye ever did get yer satisfaction Gadashon?
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

With a knock on the captain's door Bellamy arrives. Barely waiting for permission to enter he pops his head in the small cabin and beams at the pair, "Oh sorry, captain. I thought you were alone. I was just going to let you know the plan for the raid. Master Stoneforge is preparing some dingies and has given me a list of what he needs. All we need is volunteers to mount the expedition. I thought that you might like to make the announcement. It'd be good for the crew to see their captain. I'll go, of course, as it's my plan."
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Aimari isn't sure how to respond to Kieran's words about her youth - she's always known of her talents, of the burning power within her soul. The thought of the captain having a daughter almost her age isn't unusual; she'd heard him speak of his past enough to know that he was a father. In the past, this had intrigued her, but the lack of active rage that he showed soon led to a ceasing of her observations - he lacked the instinctive understanding of the truth that had allowed her to grow into her power, that would allow an outsider to tap into the original source of all power. At his question about the unusual nature of his trust, Aimari shrugs.

"You know I can be trusted to keep my oath, and you know that I will not miss an opportunity to unleash my hate on our foes. That this conflict has recently become personal is...of little relevance. But I have yet more reason to continue this conflict. Whether unusual or not, your trust is not ill-placed," the mage says. As the man offers his hand, she takes it, knowing the gesture but unsure if it was the usual method of repayment for saving a life.

"I do not know what one would consider a suitable response in this place," Aimari replies, as Kieran himself seems to come to the same thought as she. At the knock on the door, she turns towards it, nodding to the small head that comes into view as it opens. "I volunteer," she says as the small man mentions finding people for the expedition.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Before Bellamy enters, Kieran smiles at Aimari.

'Aye, I ken'.

He turns as Bellamy enters.

'Aye, good work Master Bellamy. I've been thinking, perhaps there are some amongst those we rescued last night that would welcome a chance tae have their revenge on the beasties'.

'An' I wonder if there are any amongst the 'shapers that would join with us in our endeavour - it's somethin' tae consider'.

Kieran motions to the door.

'Let's get to it - Erin should have the list o' the things that we need shortly'.

Kieran walks out onto the deck. Noticing Erin and the Anjou, he calls out to the latter.

'M'Lady, seek ye out me?'
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

"It was only tha' one time, lad... I think," mumbles Stoneforge. He gives a hearty laugh and a big grin.

Anjou does a curtsy. "I am pleased to see you again. I am afraid I spied an ill omen for your journey ahead. The ground is crawling with evil and chaos. It's almost palpable," she says. "I pray you heed my warning. I know you have no reason to trust me, but I speak the truth. I swear by the Eidolon..."

One of refugees from the island places his hand on Anjou's armored shoulder, interrupting her. "Excuse me, miss, but we have a good idea on what to do. There's an aerodome on the south end of the island. One of my buddy's checked it out with a spyglass when the sun came up. It looks like one opened it up to let out the ships out. That might mean those blasted critters never got inside. There's bound to be some parts you can scavenge."

Anjou gingerly remove the man's hand with her index finger and thumb. "T-that may be the case, but you may not like what you find down there."
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-07-16 at 09:28 PM.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

"If there are parts that we need then I'm positive that we'll like what we find." Bellamy smiles up at the tall woman. "Maybe you'd like to send a volunteer to help us and take any salvage that we can't use?"
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

'I fear that we must raid those docks m'Lady Anjou, though I fear the endeavour be perilous'.

'Simply put, we have nae choice in the matter - unless you happen tae have the parts we need, an' would be willin' tae trade them?'

'Simply put, we're dead in the aether until the repairs are done. How we've lasted so long is beyond me'.

'I ken that ye need our help - if ye would be willin' tae help us with our repairs - perhaps even our salvage attempt, the faster we'll be free tae give ye a hand oursein'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Anjou looks sheepish. "I can not send any of my men down there to die..." She takes a few steps to the side of the ship. Looking at the sun, she adds "I will aid you in your salvage mission, if that will make things go more quickly. If we're lucky, the dome may have kept out the undead."

"Let's hop to it, then!"
    Stoneforge ushers the crew to the skiffs. "How about the cap'n and his trusted lieutenan's take this one... for purposes." The first one is in pretty good shape. Obviously the good parts were invested in it.

Anjou eyes the other small boat. It's made of rotten wood, rusted nails, and halfhearted prayers. "I guess I'll get into this... excellent vessel." She sight, muttering, "The Eidolon tests me this dawn." You are sure she sits squarely on a loose nail in the poorly constructed death trap, but she barely flinches.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-07-25 at 07:58 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran smiles genuinely.

'I am very grateful for your assistance m'Lady. I shall owe ye a great debt when the day is done'.

Just as Kieran's about to follow Anjou into the second skiff, a thought strikes him.

'Master Stoneforge, do either o' these ships have names? Terrible bad luck to fly in a ship without a name'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

"If there is a vessel prone to spontaneous destruction it may be prudent for me to take it," Aimari comments as she sees the two available means of transport. "I can slow my descent if needed," she adds as explanation.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"Och, righ'. We 'ad a li'l vote over tha' question down below. That one," Stoneforge points to the first skiff, "is the Marshmallow. The one the good lady is in we call the Cruel Hand of Fate. Miss Aimari, I am offended you would think either of these fine vessels would eva cause ye any trouble. I've done everythin' I could to make the safest boats in the Aether seas. He give the Cruel Hand of Fate a firm smack. The wood gives and crumbles slightly. "While flyin', o'course," he says as he wipes bits of wood off of his hands.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

"Can I offer anyone a lift?" Bellamy smirks as he secures the straps of the saddle onto the giant bat.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran nods thoughtfully.

'They're both fine names - pass me some rum - I'll christen 'em'.

Kieran turns to the crew and says

'Alright, we're going tae get the salvage we need tae get the ship up an' runnin' again. We're nae lookin' tae be heroes here, but there is a chance we may tangle with the damned beasties again. I'm takin' most of the officers down. Lady Anjou has graciously agreed tae accompany us. If anyone wishes tae volunteer, now's the time. I could especially use anyone who might know the area'.

'Aimari, you're with me an' Lady Anjou in the Cruel Hand of Fate Erin, take command of the Marshmellow. Bellamy, no passengers, I dinnae want us tae be overburdened'.

Kieran moves over to Bellamy and whispers;

Spoiler: For Bellamy
    Show
    'Your responsibility is tae look after Lady Anjou. Whatever happens, ye an' she mus' make it back. If ye have tae make a choice - choose her. We need her folk onside'.

Kieran checks his pistols, his cutlasses, and requisitions a new harpoon from the quartermaster if able to.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Bellamy nods despite having no intention of protecting the stuck up high lady over one of his own, "Nobody dies today, captain. Not if I can help it."
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

A couple of the ship mates walk up. "We'd like to volunteer to crew the Marshmallow, sir," says Barry.

Jerry nods. "We'd like to get a little pay back with those beasts if you guys tangle with them again. Our comrades deaths will be avenged!"
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-08-14 at 06:54 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran nods.

'Thank ye, Barry, Jerry. Be careful'.

'Alright, ye all have yer orders. Tae the boats'.

Kieran climbs aboard the Cruel Hand of Fate and begins directing the crew to take it to the selected destination.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Erin nods in his draconian fashion and makes sure his sword is in hand. He follows the Captain to the boats, and does what he can to help get everything organized.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Everyone shuffles into their respective ships. Master Stoneforge gives a swift, sloppy salute as the smaller craft are lowered off the side of The Lady's Gambit. The winds is light and the sky is clear. The ships glide until the engines start with a rumble. The sun reflects off the aerodome's dome as you make your approach. It is comprised of large, sliding segments that fold away to let ships in. Arranged around the dome are smaller landing pads.

The peace is broken as a large bolt flies past Kieran's head. "Constructs!" screams Barry.

"But why would they be on? There ain't anything to shoot at?!" Jerry looks like he's about to wet himself.

Positioned around are anti-air constructs. Resembling overgrown arbalesters, theses are usually used to fend off pirates and leviathans. They flings bolts at The Cruel Hand of Fate and the Marshmallow.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    How about some sailing and piloting rolls?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran takes the helm, and calls out to Aimari.

'Aimari, spot the constructs fer me, an' give me a clear path'.

OoC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Looking for an 'aid another' from Aimari on the check if possible. Without the aid another Kieran's check is (1d20+6)[24]
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Erin peers over the side of the ship, looking for the constructs with his sharpened senses. As they begin the attack, he grasps at the sword on his back for a moment, and then calls out to the others.

"Keep the boat in the sky, we'll need a way back. Let's see if I can't give them a target."

With that, Erin stands up and leaps out of the craft, tucking his wings into his sides until he'll need them to catch his fall. As he does so, he draws his sword, ready for the inevitable combat ahead.

Spoiler: Aura
    Show
    Erin currently has Aura of Senses, granting +2 to Spot, Listen, and Initiative.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

The Aerodome

You manage to steer the ships onto a small docking pad. The Marshallow shudders and shakes up the crew. The two shipmates who followed you to the surface complain loudly. "ARGH! Why, Marshallow?! You're not soft at all! What have you forsaken us?"

The crew of The Cruel Hand of Fate, have a soft landing. The rotten wood of the wretched hull crumbles to protect your bodies from the landing. After touching down, it immediately collapse. Anjou sits, bewildered, amongst the debris. The guard golems stop shooting at the ships now that they have been "shot down."

Before you is a passenger door into the the aerodome. It appears to be closed.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Everyone in The Marshallow take (2d6)[10] nonlethal.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Bellamy and Bruce land near the broken Marshmallow. Despite his size the giant bat lands gracefully with hardly a sound. "Everyone alright in there?" he calls out as he slips out of the harness and slides to the ground.

"We'll need to disable those constructs before we take off, unless they only target people coming in."
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran offers a hand to Anjou to help her up.

'Are ye alright me lady?'

Kieran takes a quick look around.

'Alright, report in? Any casualties?'

Looks like the Marshmallow bought it...that's going tae make things difficult...
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

"Looks like nothing more than heavy bruising Captain."

Erin counted himself lucky to not be one of the members of the fallen ship.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Anjou looks a little shaken up, but she quickly regains her composure. "I'm fine. If any of your are injured, I can attend to you.

The deckhands complain loudly. Anjou gives them a cursory glance and says "Your wounds are only superficial. Now, what do we do about this door?"