New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 32 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: RoR - IC thread

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Hollow's Last Hope- IC

The small village of Falcon’s Hollow is a wild place. Nestled in the shadow of Droskar’s Crag, the people of Falcon’s Hollow are hearty and stern. Theirs is a life of hardships, broken only occasionally by a handful of festivals and the infrequent merchant caravan.
    They face constant adversity from both the wilderness and the wiles of man. Wolves nip at their heels and cutpurses ply at their pockets. It is a testament to their strength that they even manage to survive at all.
    —Pathfinder Chronicles

The town of Falcon’s Hollow is a rough community wholly owned by the local Lumber Consortium, Falcon’s Hollow
    rests on the edge of Darkmoon Vale, a blunt, sawdust-choked stop on a winding trade route. Home to fewer than 1,500 humans and a smattering of other races, most of the townsfolk care only for the paltry coins paid for their backbreaking work and what simple comforts they can buy. A few, however, understand that what’s bad for one is bad for all, and so the community thrives on a tenacious mix of greed, debauchery, and stubborn self-reliance.

While it could never be said that Falcon's Hollow was a pleasant or safe place to live, things have become worse of late. In the past week, many of the town's residents have fallen ill, suffering from a bloody, hacking affliction. Local remedies and prayers alike have proven useless, as the town's most venerated elder just succumbed to what is being called "the wheezing death" last evening.
    Last edited by Farmerbink; 2014-12-26 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Why can't I effing change the thread title?! D:

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hollow's Last Hope-IC

Spoiler: @Rob & Starnes
    Show
    The day has (finally) come. Flynn is to be released, again- this time with a caveat: He is to accompany Lee on an errand. Given his only alternative is exile, Flynn begrudgingly accepts. Without much further explanation, and little punishment beyond a few nights on a stone slate of a bed and a few nights slightly less hungry than usual, it's hard to feel bad for stealing that ham in the first place... Well, we'll see...

Lee opens your cell, unlocks your handcuffs and with a scowl barks, "alright, come with me!"

Spoiler: @Starnes
    Show
    (Lee is standing before the local deputy, Thomas Cooper) Well, son... You think you can handle him? I don't want to see his face again without your assurance that this issue I Laurel's is fully contained, understand? Hell, I don't want to see his face either way, but since you're sooooo suuuure he's not that bad a guy at heart, YOU get to deal with him now! You better hope your instincts are as good as you think they are, or you could be in for some trouble! (He hands Lee the key to Flynn's cell) Get that no-good ruffian out of my sight, out of my jail, and Godspeed to you! Heh heh.

After releasing Flynn into your custody, you make a beeline for Laurel's "alchemy" shop.

Spoiler: @Ian
    Show
    (Lucas is speaking with his father) Well, that "friend" of yours gets out today, you still sure about this? A voluntary conditional exile is still an exile if you don't complete the condition, and I for one, don't trust this Flynn character to not stab you in the back as soon as you hit the treeline! Still, you've had your standards with the watch, so I suppose they think you're ready at least, and you've come of age. Just remember, son, there's a world of difference between a grown-up boy, and a man. Part of that is who he associates with. I won't stop you, but I don't like this. Be safe, son.

Having already said a temporary goodbye to Megan, you head to Laurel's alchemy shop, where you've been instructed by Lee to meet them, should you plan to go through with this fool's errand.

Spoiler: @Adam:
    Show
    You've been up all night. All three of you have. In the brief hours before dawn, you were present when Elder Thornbalm breathed his last. The man always meant more to you than you let on, ever since he set that broken shoulder and forced you to take the bed rest you needed to heal. The man might as well have been your father, for all you've been through, but you wouldn't let yourself cry. Not in front of Kendra. She may be a woman, but she's the one who broke your arm with that cheap shot in the first place- but she has effectively taught you to never let down your guard. Still, she doesn't have to be so strict about everything. You never did see why the old man liked her so much...

Elder Stonestaff comes back into room, his eyes dark with fatigue. "Something must be done, my son. This blight is something we lack the tools to combat. While I cannot condone her professional pursuits, Laurel claims to have some insight regarding curing this disease. Go to her. See if she can help."

You do.

Spoiler: @James:
    Show
    Your father is at work. Your mother is entertaining some manager's wife. It's the perfect time! You sneak to Laurel's apothecarium to see what these potions and such can really do. You're surprised to see many people in a line to get inside, but resign yourself to patience. After some time, standing quietly, trying to remain unnoticed, you get inside and duck into the corner.

Spoiler: @Amber:
    Show
    You've been in Falcon's Hollow for a few months. You quickly made friends with the local apothecary based on similar interests combined with a lack of desire to compete. She took you on as an apprentice, and you have been VERY busy the last two weeks since the blight appeared. You're spending yet another day attempting to treat ailing patients with balms and elixirs that experience tells you won't help. It's hard to stay excited about it...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: RoR - IC thread

Creeping ivy and full window boxes cover the facade of the rugged-looking, two-story shop bearing a faded sign "Roots and Remedies." A line of more than twenty townsfolk-some with pale, wheezing children, others perpetually near tears- stretches from within the store, across most of the walkway. A burly man wearing a stained apron stands in the next doorway with a rag over his mouth, angrily shooing people from his doorstep, pushing the back of the line further into the street.

Spoiler: All:
    Show
    The six of you arrive on a pitiful scene. Amber and James have already gotten inside via one method or another. The other four approach at largely the same time.

Ready go!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Right before they reach the shop, Lee turns to Flynn and says aloud with a hint of twang and optimism.Well Flynn, I hope I'm right about you. Certainly have have a chance to prove your worth now.

Seeing the line, Lee takes the lead and addresses the man in the apron.

We're here to see Laurel. he says with a grim look on his face.
    Last edited by Untarr; 2014-07-14 at 11:48 AM.
    Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Untarr View Post
    We're here to see Laurel. he says with a grim look on his face.
    The large, irate man scoffs loudly. You and the rest of this trash, too! Can't ya see I'm no froofy woman mixin' false hopes in a mockery of a good 'onest shop!? 'Sides, you're walkin' about on yer own two like there ain't nothin' wrong with 'em anyhow! What do ya want with that old hoax?

'Sides, he gestures next door, to where the line stems from, she works over there! You come talk to Wilifred if you want a nice, juicy ham! I don't wan' none o' these sickly types around my meat! It's the best you'll find 'ere in Falcon's Hollow, and I won' have it gettin' tainted with no disease! Now move along, if yer not here to do business, I've enough trouble keeping the blight offa my doorstep without you dragging attention to it!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Look here you son of a bitch. I was trying to be nice, but if you want a fight, I'll see that you get a fight. standing to his full height, Lee leers down at the man.
    After staring for a moment, he continues in in a soft voice full of barely contained mirth, his fists clenched.

You better hope that "hoax" has a solution for this blight, or pretty soon the only thing being sold in this town will be death. Have a nice day.

Not waiting on a response, Lee turns around and heads through the other door. On the way there he politely picks his way through the line smiling as best he can.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

As Lee passes the back of the line, a croaky voice peeps out, 'Ey! I been waitin' fer half a hour! Why're yew so SPESHUL? and another voice follows, "Hey, my boy is DYING at home! Wait yet damned turn!!

Almost instantly, the line dissolves into little more than a mass of limbs and refuse as the people at the back of the line press forward, and the crowd erupts into jeers and yells. As the back of the line presses forwards, the front of the line frantically tries to press their way through the door. Quite suddenly, Lee, Lucas, and Flynn are pressed upon by a throng of people pressing ever forward, pressing backwards from the front, and largely- loudly- going nowhere fast.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Flynn takes his time getting his gear situated before following Lee out the jail-house door. He watches passively as the butcher and the lawman exchange heated words, a smirk on his face. "Those are good hams," he mumbles, thinking back to the last time he stole several meals from that store. He then shakes his head in amusement at the overblown threats Lee levels at the man.

"I think you both need to develop a sense of humor," he says, following the big man through the crowd of sick townsfolk. "You can find plenty to laugh at when people die if you look in the right places. It's all a matter of perspective. Take me, for example: if I died while under your responsibility, many of the stuck up pricks in this hell-hole would have reason to laugh. If it happened wrong, you could even be blamed for it; then even I would have a reason to be jovial..."

Dodging an angry look from the lawman Flynn wraps his face in a wet cloth, smiling bitterly behind his make-shift mask. "Let's get this errand started so I can get out from under your thumbnail. Shall we?" he asks, gesturing for the lawman to go inside first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Quite suddenly, Lee, Lucas, and Flynn are pressed upon by a throng of people pressing ever forward, pressing backwards from the front, and largely- loudly- going nowhere fast.
    Flynn pulls his mask close, trying not to breath the same air as all the infected people around him. "Well, now you've done it!" he yells at Lee.

Turning to the crowd he raises his voice loudly over the rabble, "Hold your horses! The lawman is here to help find a cure! Back up already!"

9. - Top - End - #9

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Intimidate Check
    Show
    (1d20+4)[16] (Untrained)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Look, let's just get inside and get this started. This is only going to get worse as it spreads.

Stopping before the door, he turns around to the crowd.

Y'all know I ain't much for talking. We can help you, but if you tear apart Laurel's shop or kill the ones trying to help you, then what good have you done? The best thing you can do now is remain calm and stay out of our way so that we can solve this.

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    Even though it's going to fail horribly.

(1d20-2)[3] Diplomacy
    Last edited by Untarr; 2014-07-14 at 02:50 PM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Just as the crowd quiets down to hear what Lee has to say, Merek arrives at the scene, pushing his way through the sea of limbs.

Did no-one ever teach you wretches how to stand in line? he exclaims to no one in particular, while muscling his way through the crowd. Listen to the lawman and make way for your betters!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Just enough people hear Flynn's cry and Lee's plea to give the crowd pause. Just a moment later, as voices start saying, "what do you mean, FIND a cure?! My ma said that Laurel would be able to help!" the trio slips through the door into the musty interior, followed closely, by the monk who pushes through the frail masses behind them.

The smell of burnt air and spicy incense chokes the air in the cramped, mud-tracked shop. Bunches of friends herbs hang from the surprisingly low ceiling, amid dangling pots, herb presses, alchemical apparatuses, and glassware clearly more exotic in nature. Pouches labeled with names of rare plants, jars of colored glass, and all manner of dried, preserved, or jellied animal parts fill shelves and tables doing double duty as displays and workplaces.

As you step inside, a rail-thin woman with a damp purple rag over her nose and mouth, her hair pulled back in a tight bun behind severe-looking spectacles presses in between two seated townsfolk, moving towards the door. A pot loudly bubbles over with thick gray broth near the rear of her shop as she speaks. Just what in the nine hells is all that racket? Can't you see I'm pressed beyond the breaking point here?!? Noticing their state of dress, she turns to face the trio. Is all this your doing? Can't you see these people are ill? I expect more from a man of the law, Lee. This is troublesome enough without anyone riling them up further.

Spoiler: Laurel
    Show
    You all recognize Laurel, the eccentric herbalist.

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGuy

Is all this your doing? Can't you see these people are ill? I expect more from a man of the law, Lee. This is troublesome enough without anyone riling them up further.
    "Yeah, Lee. Way to go," Flynn snidely quips. "Hi Laurel. Word is that you can make a cure for this plague, but need someone to go fetch the ingredients. We're here to do the legwork."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A cloaked and hooded figure turns from its close inspection of some small bit of preserved greenery in a sealed jar to watch as Laurel dresses down the 3 newcomers in the apothecary. Through the haze of the poor lighting and steaming broth, all one can see past the tightly-held cloak and hood is the barest hint of a smirk.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Hi Laurel. Word is that you can make a cure for this plague, but need someone to go fetch the ingredients. We're here to do the legwork."
    Laurel wrinkles her nose slightly at the presence of Flynn, and glances from side to side, quickly assessing the gathered trio plus one. Word like that is exactly what gets this town into so much trouble, she sighs, slouches her shoulders and continues. I suppose it couldn't hurt. I have my grandmother's book, and I've brewed everything in it except for the final concoction. The thing sounds more like my old grandmother's hoojoo than any real medicine, but I guess it'd be worth a try? It's hard to get much worse than these folks, dying all over the place. She gestures around her at the infirm littering her shop. I mean, I guess it could kill people faster, but it's even hard to say that that'd be a downside, sometimes. Watching folks wither away is tough on the family... especially with...

So anyway, I'd have tried this by now, also, but I'm missing three of the ingredients. I know, I know, I've a whole mess of other things, but you can't just go replacing one part with another and hoping it works the same. That's a great way to puke up your liver. or, well... make someone else do it, anyway.

So I'm gonna need three things. One is something called Elderwood moss, which I haven't the foggiest clue what it is, but granny says it "ooooonly groooows on the oooooldest treeeeee in the fooooorreeeeessst." She talks pretty slow, my granny does, but she's 'round 90 years old! You would too! I mean- err, right. Moving on. The second is a specially pickled root called rat's tail, which seriously sounds like hoojoo to me. Blugh.
    She shudders visibly at some mental image. Lastly, I need at least seven iron bloom mushrooms. They're stunty little things that only grow in the dark, and only on metal. I hear they're a delicacy among dwarves... Can't stomach mushrooms myself. I suppose if you bring those things back, I can brew this muck up and see if it kills someone, she says with entirely too chipper an attitude.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to work. These fools can't bandage a scraped knee to save their lives, much less deal with this blackscour taint!

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGuy

Laurel wrinkles her nose slightly at the presence of Flynn
    Flynn rolls his eyes at her.
    Elderwood moss..."ooooonly groooows on the oooooldest treeeeee in the fooooorreeeeessst."
    Spoiler: (Bardic?) Knowledge check
    Show
    (1d20)[12] (+6 for Geography or Local, +2 for all others)

a specially pickled root called rat's tail
    Show
    (1d20)[9] (+6 for Geography or Local, +2 for all others)

Iron bloom mushrooms. They're stunty little things that only grow in the dark, and only on metal. I hear they're a delicacy among dwarves...
    Show
    (1d20)[9] (+6 for Geography or Local, +2 for all others)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The cowled figure takes a few steps and leans forward when she sees Laurel begin to have an actual conversation with the three, straining to hear every word while (poorly) attempting to remain (somewhat) unnoticed.

18. - Top - End - #18

MonkGuy

Merek finally makes it to the door, closing it behind him just as Laurel gets to naming the missing ingredients.

I see I'm not the only one reduced to grasping at straws by this disease. he says, shooting a glance at Laurel's back. Am I to understand the Watch has finally woken up to the danger this plague poses?
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Knowledge Local
    Show

(1d20+4)[11] for Iron Bloom Mushrooms
    (1d20+4)[23] for Rat Tail
    (1d20+4)[11] for Elderwood moss

Scowl deepening at Flynn's quip, Lee barely contains himself as he listens to Laurel. Thinking quietly about what she says, he finally speaks after a few moments.

Glaring hard at the monk:
    Watch your tone boy. Its grating on my ears. The way you talked to that crowd, I'm surprised they didn't riot twice. I assume you are here to help as well? If so, start by keeping your trap shut. I ain't gonna die cause you piss off the wrong group of farmers.

Turning towards Flynn. Part of the reason you are here is how much you seem to know about everything around here. Between you and me, we have to know enough to at least get started. So, what do you got?
    Last edited by Untarr; 2014-07-14 at 07:38 PM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Knowledge (Arcana) for knowledge on the ingredients?
    Show
    Iron Bloom: (1d20+8)[25]
    Rat Tail: (1d20+8)[28]
    Elderwood Moss: (1d20+8)[13]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

A very petite figure with dark bronze skin and hair in hues of fiery autumn reds looks up from tending patients. Sensing a chance to travel on the horizon, suddenly she grins, hops over towards this new group, and cheerfully joins the conversation without being invited.

I bet these boys don't know the first thing about plants. And let's be honest, I'm not making much of a dent in helping around here. None of us are. But I'm great at finding things! Should I tag along and make sure they don't bring back all the wrong mushrooms?

22. - Top - End - #22

MonkGuy

Merek looks at Lee quietly for a few seconds. You are right. I suppose I could have handled them better, but surely some semblance of discipline is not too much to ask for. Regardless, I am indeed here to help. The elders... Elder Stonestaff believes Laurel's cure might work.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Subucula View Post
    Merek looks at Lee quietly for a few seconds. You are right. I suppose I could have handled them better, but surely some semblance of discipline is not too much to ask for.
    The cloaked figure seems to snort, and a second or two later seems to feign a cough.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrindalame View Post
    I'm great at finding things! Should I tag along and make sure they don't bring back all the wrong mushrooms?
    Laurel looks aside to her associate. That is an excellent idea! I was just wondering how they would know what the ingredients looked anyway! Come to think of it, I'm not sure I know how the rat tail looks, though I've seen the other a time or two before. Never collected it myself, though, or I could give you better information. My ol' grandma brought in an awful lot of odd smellin' things before she went and sold her sight to that witch...

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Spoiler: Rob
    Show
    Flynn is just kicking himself. He KNOWS he knows where these things should be. It' RIGHT on the tip of his tongue! But alas, nothing pertinent comes to mind.

Spoiler: Starnes
    Show
    None of the pieces are falling together, though you feel like I know some relevant things about the rat tail root. You just can't quite place what.

Spoiler: James
    Show
    You're quite certain that the rat tail root will be found in Ulizmila, the witch of the forest's hut. Rumored to be deep in the woods. It's precise location is considered either completely unknown, or simple folklore. The iron bloom does indeed have strong, widely recognized curative purposes, but you haven't the foggiest clue where to find a place like what has been described already.

Well, unless you folks have any more questions to drag me away from my patients, I'm going to get back to it. Don't be long, Kith! You know we haven't any time to waste! She turns her back to the group and begins to scoop the bubbling grey froth into glass jars, placing them sloppily on a table to her side without capping them, resulting in quite the pungent mess. She answers any further questions from the table.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As Laural turns to tend to her broth, the cloaked figure steps up, clearing her throat.
    I can tell from your faces that none of you have the foggiest idea where to start, so I'll do you all a solid and tell you what I know as long as I get to tag along. With that barest hint of a smirk, the figure leans gently against the wall and awaits a response.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A very petite figure with dark bronze skin and hair in hues of fiery autumn reds looks up from tending patients. Sensing a chance to travel on the horizon, suddenly she grins, hops over towards this new group, and cheerfully joins the conversation without being invited.
    "Ahhh!" Lucas jumps a foot at Kithlyn's sudden appearance. From his bulging eyes and the way he suddenly grips his spear, it's not hard to surmise that he's never seen a gnome before. "Flynn! Lee! Look at this! What in the-? How did-?"

I bet these boys don't know the first thing about plants. And let's be honest, I'm not making much of a dent in helping around here. None of us are. But I'm great at finding things! Should I tag along and make sure they don't bring back all the wrong mushrooms?
    Suddenly her words catch up to his ears, and they abruptly turn a dark shade of crimson. Mortified, he quickly stammers out an apology, kneeling down to be on a more even level with the newcomer. "I- I'm sorry, miss, err, ma'am, err.. I didn't- I don't- I mean, I've never- hoo-boy!" Taking a deep breath to collect himself, he reaches out awkwardly for a handshake. "Welcome to Falcon's Hollow. Are you new in town? My name's Lucas. Lucas Taggert."
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Lee gets the impression that he recognizes the young woman in the hood, but isn't able to place it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Where in the hell... looking at the hooded figure. Just who the... his head spins as the smallest figure comes from the patient area... and then when Lucas talks he finally seems to find his tongue.YOU! pointing at Lucas.

At least I know what kind of trouble you are. Now, someone tell me just who in the hell you pointing at the hooded figure and you, pointing at the gnome are. I don't just take strangers with me when I'm looking for things.
    Last edited by Untarr; 2014-07-14 at 11:13 PM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Knowledge Local
    Show
    (1d20+4)[20] to recognize James' character.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Seeming to realize that her identity is becoming a question, the hooded figure inclines her head slightly, causing the hood to more fully obscure her face, and pulls the cloak a smidgeon tighter. You have my word that I am no stranger, but I have reason for discretion. she says softly. Once we get out of public, I'll make myself known, and her voice takes a sharp, almost haughty edge, and not before.