New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: RoR - IC thread

1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: RoR - IC thread

Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    The cowled figure takes a few steps and leans forward...
    Spoiler: Skill checks
    Show
    (1d20+7)[14] Perception vs. Disguise
    (1d20+6)[20] Knowledge (Local) or (1d20+2)[4] (Knowledge (Arcana)
    All meant to identify this character and discover anything meaningful about her. (I do not plan to share this info in-character.)

Quote Originally Posted by Subucula View Post
    Merek finally makes it to the door, closing it behind him just as Laurel gets to naming the missing ingredients...
    Show
    (1d20+6)[26] Knowledge (Local) to identify Merek and anything known about him or his monastery.

Quote Originally Posted by Untarr View Post
    Turning towards Flynn. Part of the reason you are here is how much you seem to know about everything around here. Between you and me, we have to know enough to at least get started. So, what do you got?
    "I am certainly glad this isn't going to just be you and me, then; all you seem to be good for right now is blustering and yelling. Hush up and listen a bit," Flynn says condescendingly. "I have some ideas, but nothing concrete yet."

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrindalame View Post
    A very petite figure with dark bronze skin and hair in hues of fiery autumn reds looks up from tending patients...
    Show
    (1d20+6)[24] Knowledge (Local) to identify Kith (specifically race and class)

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    My ol' grandma brought in an awful lot of odd smellin' things before she went and sold her sight to that witch...

Well, unless you folks have any more questions to drag me away from my patients, I'm going to get back to it...She answers any further questions from the table.
    "So we are getting you elderwood moss, pickled rat tail, and iron bloom mushrooms...Where exactly can we find all of these? Do we need to talk to this so-called "witch" of which you speak? Do you happen to know where the oldest tree in the forest grows? How about any nearby abandoned dwarven mines?" Flynn asks Laurel, being careful to keep clear of the splattering gruel from her table.

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "Flynn! Lee! Look at this! What in the-? How did-?"
    "Lucas, get up and stop embarrassing yourself. This little lady is a gnome, probably some sort of healer helping Laurel," Flynn says to his closest friend. Turning back to Kithlyn he says, "Please excuse my clueless colloquial companion's crude composure. He's usually not this rude. My name is Flynn. Pleased to meet you."

You have my word that I am no stranger, but I have reason for discretion....
    Flynn raises his eyebrows slightly, ever more curious about the mysterious stranger. "Without that hood I might be able to get a better look at her. She must be from around here somehow..." he mumbles to himself.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Lucas, get up and stop embarrassing yourself. This little lady is a gnome, probably some sort of healer helping Laurel," Flynn says to his closest friend. Turning back to Kithlyn he says, "Please excuse my clueless colloquial companion's crude composure. He's usually not this rude. My name is Flynn. Pleased to meet you."
    Lucas stands up quickly, handshake forgotten, and feels his face burning. Now that Flynn mentions it, she does look like some of the halfling tinkers that occasionally came through town. Embarrassed, he punches Flynn lightly on the shoulder. "Shut up! I just forgot for a moment, is all."
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Folding his arms and grimacing at the hooded figure.

You are going to have to give me more than that if you expect for me to believe that A, you actually know something, B, you aren't going to try to kill us, and/or C, that you will actually be useful once this gets started. The only people here are the people you are going with, if you are going. Which, right now, is a pretty big IF. We either learn now, or you can go back to whatever hole you crawled out of. Like I said before, I'm not keen taking strangers with me on hunts. This,
    pointing his thumb at Flynn
    is already more than I bargained for.

Turning to the gnome he sticks out his finger towards her.

If Laurel trusts you to work here, then that's good enough for me. If she doesn't need you, well then get your stuff ready.
    Last edited by Untarr; 2014-07-15 at 11:25 AM.
    Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: questions
    Show
    [roll0] Perception vs. Disguise
    [roll1] Knowledge (Local) or [roll2] (Knowledge (Arcana)
    All meant to identify this character and discover anything meaningful about her. (I do not plan to share this info in-character.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Flynn isn't able to quite get a decent look at her face, but recognizes the way she speaks as being from the side of town that's more formal in etiquette.

Spoiler: Merek
    Show
    [roll3] Knowledge (Local) to identify Merek and anything known about him or his monastery.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Merek is well known, if not well liked around town. He is the last remaining initiate of the local monastery around which Falcon's Hollow was built. As more and more initiates found themselves "unable" to live up to the rigors and demands of the lifestyle, he became more and more condescending towards the townsfolk in general, whom he now considers almost universally beneath him. The monastery has fallen into a sad state of disuse, with only 4 remaining monks (other than Merek) in the village. You've heard snippets of rumors all morning that one of the elders of the monastery died early this morning.

Show
    [roll4] Knowledge (Local) to identify Kith (specifically race and class)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kith is a gnomish inquisitor. She is relatively new to the area, but it's well known that she's an amateur herbalist and has been functionally apprenticed to Laurel in the last few weeks.

5. - Top - End - #35

NecromancerGuy

You are going to have to give me more than that if you expect for me to believe that A, you actually know something, B, you aren't going to try to kill us, and/or C, that you will actually be useful once this gets started. The only people here are the people you are going with, if you are going. Which, right now, is a pretty big IF. We either learn now, or you can go back to whatever hole you crawled out of. Like I said before, I'm not keen taking strangers with me on hunts. This,
    pointing his thumb at Flynn
    is already more than I bargained for.
    During Lee's tirade Flynn mocks him constantly, making hand-puppet actions and rolling his eyes. A moment before being referenced he stops and stands still, waiting for Lee to face away again before deliberately biting his thumb at the lawman.

After Lee is finished Flynn turns to the hooded figure and says, "Well, if I get any say in the matter, I would suggest that we need all the help we can get. While he may have never felt the need to hide his face in public, I most certainly have. Why don't you share what you know with the group; then we can determine your potential value to the company."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, she says, I recall from my reading that rat tail root is only thought to be found in Ulizmila's hut. Unless one subscribes to the popular fiction that she (and therefore her witch's hut) are mere legend, it is sure to be found deep in the forest. I'm confident that I can identify the root if we are able to locate its mysterious housing, and from what I've seen of your faces, that makes me as necessary to this errand as any two of you. The hint of a smirk slides back onto her face, still shrouded by the folds of her hood. Furthermore, I am well versed in the art of armed combat, and my training frequently took place in the woods, so I can assure you that I am more than capable of protecting myself. You have nothing to lose by my presence, and indeed, the success of your venture to gain.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Laurel turns around to face the group, prepared to begin answering Flynn's questions.
    "Err... umm... Well, the elderwood mold... There's gotta be an "oldest tree in the forest" out there somewhere. Damned if I know where. The rat's tail and mushrooms are gonna be tougher... Oh! Way up north, past the forest, people say there used to be a bunch of dwarves. Right at the foot of the mountains. Everyone agrees they're not there anymore, but I bet their forges are! That's gotta be the best bet for ironbloom anywhere around here.
    " At the outburst from the cloaked figure, her eyes visibly widen. "
    I guess I hadn't put as much thought into it, but it seems the old witch's hut would be a decent place to look for the rat tail root, too! I 'spose I should have thought o' that myself, but it seems this secretive lady has a better eye for certain things than I do. Makes sense, I always heard is was some sorta... commonent? Competent? Err... that ain' right. com.. com... Oh bother, it don't matter what the word is, she knows where it's at, so go get it!
    "

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrmm, it's as good a start as any. Whatever, you can come as long as you don't try an' git yourself or anyone else killed. He grins and winks at her And we'll just see how handy you are in the woods, miss Turning around, Lee heads out the door.

Y'all better get comin' if you're comin'. Damned blight ain't gonna cure itself.

Spoiler: Survival
    Show

(1d20+6)[24] Survival check for not getting lost and/or avoiding hazards if applicable
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The figure carefully navigates out to follow, keeping the hood and cloak wrapped tightly around her.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Merek sniffs at Lee, and follows him out the door.
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

Given leave to do what she loves most...to travel and find secret things, Kith swiftly packs up her backpack and rejoins the group just outside the shop. Although she knows their task is a serious one, with serious consequences should they fail, she walks with a cheerful spring in her step. As she walks, she tries to think of any places she's been where they might find these three ingredients...or the witch's house.

Spoiler: skill check
    Show
    Knowledge: Local Does Kith have any ideas where to start their search?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Head slightly reeling from his recent embarrassment and sudden influx of new personalities, Lucas rushes out behind Lee and the others. "Lee?! Flynn?! You know where we're going?"
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

North into the forest. I think I know where that hut is, but I want to be sure before we head out. In the interest of time, I want to have a solid lead on the other two locations before we get too far away from town.

Pausing briefly to check his pack and remove his bow from its case, Lee continues.

First, we are going to stop into the lumber camp and talk to a few of the people there. They spend more time in those woods than anyone else. If anyone around here would know where to start, it would be them.

Spoiler: Knowledge Local
    Show

(1d20+4)[15] vs Ulizmila's hut
    (1d20+4)[20] vs OOOOOLLLDDDEESSSTTTT Tree
    (1d20+4)[15] vs Dwarven stuff

Spoiler: @ Rogers
    Show
    I'm assuming there is some sort of lumber camp or headquarters that Lee would know how to get to. Unless those knowledge checks reveal something, he'll insist on heading there first.
    Last edited by Untarr; 2014-07-15 at 09:39 PM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: @Starnes
    Show
    Once James' character mentions Ulizmila by name, you recall something you heard regarding the witch who lived "just south of the lake," in the woods. You also know where said lake is, and that it's not tremendously large.

Spoiler: @Amber:
    Show
    In general, when you want to perform an action or skill check that involves a roll, you can type "[ roll ]1d20+whatever[ /roll ] (without the extra spaces) to make a random role through the GiantITP forum servers.

In this case: (1d20+6)[21] -I already forgot the +3 more for it being a class skill, so accounting for that I've changed the results beneath- will serve for your knowledge local.

edit: You recall having heard that there was once a thriving dwarven monastery at the foot of the southernmost mountain in the Jagged Teeth- a mountain range running East/West about 4 days north of Falcon's Hollow. The mountain range forms the northern, and eventually (many miles away) western, borders of Darkmoon Vale (which is the name of the wooded region wherein Falcon's Hollow lies).

You can also confirm that Ulizmila's hut is supposed to be just south of the lake.

15. - Top - End - #45

NecromancerGuy

"Wait a minute, what's the hurry? Ugh!" Flynn throws his hands up in disgust at the hurried exit of his chaperoning officer. "Laurel, we will do our best. One last thing: is this witch dangerous? What should we be prepared to face when we meet her?"

Flynn waits only barely long enough to hear the herbalist's reply before dashing out the door to keep up with the others. "What a bunch of fools, rushing into the unknown without trying to get as much information ahead of time as possible...None of them would ever last on the street..." he mumbles angrily.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Laurel starts laughing uproariously at Flynn's question. IS she DANGEROUS?!? BAAAHAHAHAHA!! Have you ever heard of a witch that WASN'T dangerous?!? Of COURSE she's dangerous! My granny traded her EYESIGHT for 3 months apprenticeship! She's a WITCH, for crying out loud!

The howls of incredulous laughter follow Flynn into the street, where he has little difficulty catching up with the group.

The group makes for the nearest consortium lumber camp to the lake which serves as the source for the River Foam. Since that is supposed to be near where Ulizmila lives.

Spoiler: Dm screen
    Show
    (1d20)[10]
    (1d10)[1]

About halfway between Falcon's Hollow and the lumber camp (about a 12-hour trip at speed of 20):
    Spoiler: Lee or spot/survival dc 18
    Show
    At the west edge of the road, a set of deep goat-like tracks leads away from the hard-packed surface of the road.
    Spoiler: DC 20 survival to follow more than 20 feet- Starnes passed
    Show
    The tracks appear to have been made by a creature walking upright, lead several hundred feet off the road, and approach a pair of dense thickets- separated by about 20 feet of clearing between them. From a safe distance (about 200 feet away), the tracks appear to lead right down the middle between them.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

As the group travels, she speaks in a quick, lively...and slightly squeaky voice... I don't think I ever bothered to introduce myself properly...I'm Kithlyn Stormspark. You can call me Kith. She looks up at the sky, and surveys the landscape around them, and flashes a huge smile. I love traveling. Isn't it just lovely? The road...the sky...the fresh air... seeing new places, meeting new people, learning new things... Just wonderful! She stops briefly to examine a perfectly ordinary looking rock and looks under it. See this neat rock?

Spoiler: perception check
    Show
    (1d20+8)[25] Is there anything ACTUALLY interesting about this random rock or under it?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: reroll
    Show
    (1d20+8)[28] stealth

Yer a talkative one ain't ya? Well, as nice to meet you, I'm Lee. I ain't really a lawman, I just help out when I can.

Pausing as she examines the rock.

I don't know about that rock, but those are tracks right there. he says pointing to the side of the road.

Odd ones too...

Following the tracks until he sees the thicket (200 feet), Lee pauses and addresses the group. Lowering his voice to a whisper...

Looks like some sort of creature that walks upright with hooves. The tracks lead between those thickets. We should move quietly and stay hidden to get into those thickets. I don't like the looks of this. I'm not sure what this could be. Anyone who thinks they can't move quietly should stay here. Any questions?
    Last edited by Untarr; 2014-07-16 at 10:31 AM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49

NecromancerGuy

Flynn watches and listens to the lively gnome, a slightly confused look on his face. After some time of her excitedly going on he says, "Kith, I have to tell you I don't think I have ever met someone quite so cheerful about so very little. If I had your disposition, I somewhat doubt I would have made it to this point in my life - I would either be happier with less or died of starvation...Either way I am pretty sure I wouldn't be figuratively shackled to Lee here," he nods in the direction of the driven lawman leading the company.
    ---------------
    Looks like some sort of creature that walks upright with hooves. The tracks lead between those thickets. We should move quietly and stay hidden to get into those thickets. I don't like the looks of this. I'm not sure what this could be. Anyone who thinks they can't move quietly should stay here. Any questions?
    Flynn rolls his eyes at Lee asking for questions and directing the rest of the group. The bard stops moving and looks around closely before doing anything else...
    Spoiler: Skill Checks
    Show
    Bardic Knowledge regarding the description of the creature that made the traps (1d20+2)[17] (Knowledge of anything besides Local/Geography - if it is Local add 4 to the result)
    (1d20+3)[8] Stealth - After the first round I would stop moving entirely, hoping to either take 10 or 20 on the check eventually...
    (1d20+7)[18] Perception - to see either the creature or find anything else to give us clues about what we have encountered

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+5)[24] Perception. I hate doing this on a phone...
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: perception check
    Show
    [roll0] Is there anything ACTUALLY interesting about this random rock or under it?
    Spoiler: Amber
    Show
    sadly, no. But you probably would have seen it if there had been!

Spoiler: @Starnes:
    Show
    perception, plz

Spoiler: Dm screen
    Show
    Spoiler: NO LOOKY, CHEATERFACE!
    Show

You thought there'd be something useful here, didn't you? Damned dirty bastard.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Lee, and perhaps others, creep up to the edge of the thicket, using tall grass as concealment until they reach the thicket. He moves back towards where the tracks led, slightly more open, and can't shake the feeling that he's being watched.

When he gets back to where the tracks should have led, he finds nothing. Backtracking, towards the road, the tracks seem to have disappeared! Not a trace of anyone or anything passing here can be found, aside from the groups own footprints. Search as you might, you are all unable to find either the tracks again or any creatures but yourselves in either thicket or the clearing between. The whole time, a sense of being watched dominates your thoughts. After a time, you collectively give up, and head back to the road.

Strangest of all, what felt like just a few minutes must have taken hours! When you arrive at the road, the sun is much lower in the sky than it was when you left, leaving you all to decide how to make preparations for the impending nightfall (now no more than 3 hours away, while the lumber camp is still about 6).

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As the group travels, she speaks in a quick, lively...and slightly squeaky voice... I don't think I ever bothered to introduce myself properly...I'm Kithlyn Stormspark. You can call me Kith. She looks up at the sky, and surveys the landscape around them, and flashes a huge smile. I love traveling. Isn't it just lovely? The road...the sky...the fresh air... seeing new places, meeting new people, learning new things... Just wonderful! She stops briefly to examine a perfectly ordinary looking rock and looks under it. See this neat rock?
    The smirk on the cowled figure's face slips into a vague sneer.

Spoiler: reroll
    Show
    [roll0] stealth

The cowled figure loosens a curved blade, previously hidden beneath the folds of the cloak, in its scabbard and crouches in preparation to follow into the thicket...

Lee, and perhaps others, creep up to the edge of the thicket, using tall grass as concealment until they reach the thicket. He moves back towards where the tracks led, slightly more open, and can't shake the feeling that he's being watched.

When he gets back to where the tracks should have led, he finds nothing. Backtracking, towards the road, the tracks seem to have disappeared! Not a trace of anyone or anything passing here can be found, aside from the groups own footprints. Search as you might, you are all unable to find either the tracks again or any creatures but yourselves in either thicket or the clearing between. The whole time, a sense of being watched dominates your thoughts. After a time, you collectively give up, and head back to the road.

Strangest of all, what felt like just a few minutes must have taken hours! When you arrive at the road, the sun is much lower in the sky than it was when you left, leaving you all to decide how to make preparations for the impending nightfall (now no more than 3 hours away, while the lumber camp is still about 6).
    The cowled figure gasps at the seemingly premature nightfall. Weren't we supposed to make it to the lumber camp before nightfall? In her confused and frightened state, her cowl begins to slip from her face as she frantically tries to get her bearings. In the brief moment before she recovers her cowl, her sharp blue eyes and shoulder-length black hair, tied back, are visible.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

The cowled figure gasps at the seemingly premature nightfall. Weren't we supposed to make it to the lumber camp before nightfall? In her confused and frightened state, her cowl begins to slip from her face as she frantically tries to get her bearings. In the brief moment before she recovers her cowl, her sharp blue eyes and shoulder-length black hair, tied back, are visible.
    In response to the question, Merek looks at the sun's position in the sky, at the long shadows cast by objects around him, and at his fellow travelers, and a small smile appears on his otherwise harsh face. Perhaps this will be prove to be a real challenge after all, he says under his breath.

Louder, so everyone can hear, he says: I guess it's time to make camp. I'll take first watch, once we decide on a suitable location.
    Last edited by Subucula; 2014-07-16 at 01:19 PM.
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

At the mention of tracks, Kith stops admiring the rock and goes to see what Lee is talking about.

Odd tracks? How mysterious!

As she turns her attention toward the tracks, she addresses Flynn, suddenly much more somber in her tone. The world is full of wonders, you just have to be willing to see them. You say that with my disposition you'd likely have starved...but I think you might have learned that kindness and beauty hide in unlikely places. Grinning again, and returning to her original perky tone I do think you are very right about not being...you say "shackled"? to Lee! Still, he doesn't seem so bad! He just found something interesting, and that's something of worth in one's companions! Count yourself a little luckier for his company!

Arriving by Lee to look at the tracks, she asks And which creatures do you know of that have hooves and walk on two legs?

Spoiler: skills check
    Show
    Knowledge: Nature (1d20+2)[5] Does Kith have any idea what creature might have made those tracks?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Survival Check to find Camp
    Show
    (1d20+6)[14]

Len insists on at least an hour more of travel before stopping. After that, he will search for a campsite while still trying to move towards the lumber camp

Lee cocky an eyebrow as he checks the sun's position. Quickly turning into a scowl he mutters angrily before heading off towards the lumber camp.

We need to get as far as we can before we stop. While we rest, the blight keeps growing. And it seems that something in these woods would like to see us delayed for whatever vile reason.
    Last edited by Untarr; 2014-07-16 at 01:30 PM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

As the group travels for another hour, clouds roll across the sky from the north. The sparse thickets of trees become more dense, and the grasses in between more patchy. Within the hour, the road becomes little more than a footpath between scattered patches of tall grass and small, scrubby trees. The party chooses to make camp for the night not far from the path, behind a small copse of trees on the lee side of a small hill.

Spoiler: DM Screen
    Show
    Spoiler: Still serious. Cheater.
    Show
    (1d20)[9](1d9)[9](1d10-1)[9]

I will need to know who has which watches, and perception check(s) for each. When you make camp it is (approximately) 8 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright. This is as far as we can go. Eat up and get some sleep. I think Merek volunteered for first watch. We'll split the night into three watches. I'll get the final watch.

Setting his pack down he rumbles through it, pulling out a bag of rations for himself.

Anyone know a song or a story to pass some time before we sleep?

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

(1d20+5)[21] Perception
    (1d20+8)[9] stealth

During Lee's watch he will attempt to sneak over to the hooded figure to get a look at her face.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

NecromancerGuy

[COLOR="#B22222"]Anyone know a song or a story to pass some time before we sleep?
    Flynn stares at Lee with undisguised annoyance on his face. "If you are offering payment for a performance, talk to me. Otherwise, you know I am only here because I have to be here..." he says before yawning and pulling out his patchwork bedroll and scrap-quilted blanket.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Now who lacks the sense of humor?

Lee shrugs and continues eating for a while before finally sleeping. If no one else volunteers for a watch, he asks Lucas to take it.
    Show