New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Soltengrebbe, beast of Drezen [Wrath of the Righteous spoilers!]

Hey folks! The party I Dm for will reach Drezen in a session or two, (Sword of Valor module) and I'm thinking ahead.

The first mythical trial by the module is to kill the mythic chiemra, Soltengrebbe. I'm worried that it might be a bit too weak. My party aren't optimizers, but they have dealt nicely with the challenges the module presents, even after some significant upgrading I've done (You can see the sig).

I'm wondeing if anyone else played this scenario, and how they fared. At what level did the party face the chimera? How did they fare? Where did you have them meet it? Did you use it as it is, or an upgraded version?

I'm aiming to make this a very tough fight. I'm not sure where and when they'll meet her, that depends on the events at the siege I guess. But I hope they'll gain 7th level before they do.

I was thinking of upgrade the mythic trial a bit. My current ideas:
    - Add a giant template (Addition to strength, con, sizes of natural weapons). and possibly an advanced template. This will make it a CR 11 (A serious challenge for 7th/1st level party I hope). The idea is to truly make it...the BEAST of Drezen- high hp, high melee damage, with the mythical power used mostly for save and rending. I think facing a huge beast might also prove to be impressive.

- Perhaps replace her with... a dragon? I think a young adult brass dragon (Made demonic by some demonic influence),with perhaps just 2 mythical tiers, to keep it CR 11. Better attacks, defenses, even some spells (Mirror image? Invisibility?). Either that or perhaps a young copper dragon, giant template (just so it'll be large), and 4 mythical tiers (Again, making it a CR 11). I prefer it's slowing breath to the Brass sleeping breath, as it doesn't take opponents fully out of the fight. I'm bit worried that his might be an overkill, with how tough dragons are said to be. I rarely ran them. However, a dragon fight is always tense and memorable!

Any other ideas?
    Last edited by Kol Korran; 2014-07-11 at 03:03 AM.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Soltengrebbe, beast of Drezen [Wrath of the Righteous spoilers!]

Small edition: As a chymera, she has the following feats:
    - Ability Focus (mythic breath)
    - Improved Critical (bite)
    - Improved Initiative (Mythic)
    - Iron Will
    - Vital Strike (Mythic)
    - Weapon Focus (bite)

I'd like to change the bite focus and perhaps improved critical to something more... fitting. First thing that comes to mind is power attack of course. Also multi attack, that for some reason isn't mentioned in the original stat block. I'll need to check up on that. Any other ideas? especially good monster feats? Maybe something using it's many heads, it's breath, or possibly it's huge size?
    Last edited by Kol Korran; 2014-07-11 at 06:47 AM.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.

Thanks for reading!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Have you looked at Scorpion's updated statblocks? There's a thread in Paizo's WotR forum containing the HeroLab files for them. Goes some of the way towards evening the score.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    Have you looked at Scorpion's updated statblocks? There's a thread in Paizo's WotR forum containing the HeroLab files for them. Goes some of the way towards evening the score.
    Thanks, I've just downloaded it and took a quick look. It seems good, and it sems to fix some of the problems with some stat blocks. I'll look into using it as a base. I think I may use his Soltenbergge, but perhaps add the "giant" template to it. Will see.

Thanks!

1. Special projects:
    2. My campaign logs:

Thanks for reading!