New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Question Hengeyokai Battle Dancer Build Help

So I'm the only one at my table who knows how to optimize at all thus I picked a crap class with little support, the battle dancer from the Dragon Compendium. The lack of handbook for this class (which doesn't surprise me) has made me desperate for helping out with options for a battle dancer. I already have a few ideas of what would be optimal (although my DM would have my head on a pike for Warshaper). Here's the road map for what I have planned so far:

1) Taking at least eleven levels of battle dancer for pounce. I have already thought about a dip into Barbarian, but it doesn't have the character at all.
    2) I don't want to take any levels of binder or Totemist. I am not comfortable using them yet (although I love Paimon.)
    3) I want to take at least one level of Thief-Acrobat for fluff reasons, which means a dip into something (thinking about a two-level of Feat Rogue.)
    4) No Tome of Battle. I use ToB too much because it's fun and balanced. And that's cheating.
    5) I am a Tanuki Hengeyokai, because I actually have a picture of her drawn by a friend.

And the circumstances:

1) Level five.
    2) Any WotC-approved books are allowed, but Dragon Magazines aren't.
    2a) That means setting-specific material too.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Hengeyokai Battle Dancer Build Help

If everyone at your table is optimizing, Battle Dancer is going to be no fun. I couldn't tell if you meant you're already a level 5 battledancer or if you're starting at 5th level total, but either way, I'd get out now. Take two or three levels of Rogue into two levels of Monk, and you can get Invisible Fist for immediate-action Invisibility for 1 round, every 3 rounds (and you keep evasion). From there, you can build sneak-attack damage with Flurry of Blows TWF using monk weapons or something like that (Wraith Strike item, maybe continuous, if needed). You can also dip in PrCs all over the place for more Sneak Attack, if needed, or take Unearthed Arcana's generic Warrior for bonus BAB and 5d6 sneak attack in 2 levels.

Alternatively, you can go SAD Charisma, and take levels in Paladin, Cleric, and/or Bard, getting Cha to saves, attack, damage, AC, turning, etc, with spell support. Since Slippers of Battledancing basically require skirmishing, you can also take Scout, then use Cleric/Paladin spells or items to get you 10 foot movement every turn as a swift action (Knight's Move is nice).

Or you can do both.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Default Re: Hengeyokai Battle Dancer Build Help

It's a crime to be a melee hengeyokai and still not dip Warshaper. A crime, I say!
    Since you're already using OA stuff, I'd dip Blade Dancer. Those skill bonuses are so tasty.