New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Default Natural weapons master

So what classes/feats would be good for a half dragon half minotaur that wants to focus on using his natural weapons mainly? Saw a feat that grants a tail attack to a char with dragon blood. So that would be good I suppose?

Spacehamster to infinity and beyond!
    Last edited by Spacehamster; 2014-07-11 at 11:18 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Natural weapons master

You want Totemist from Magic of Incarnum. The Dragon Tail feat is in Races of the Dragon. Add Prehensile Tail (Savage Species/Serpent Kingdoms) and the tail can wield a weapon/shield. The "Dragon Tail" soulmeld can be found in Dragon Magic, and that adds a tail sweep attack.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Rend.
    If you've a DM that will let it run character HD, or if you just have sufficient Racial HD, the Feral Template from Savage Species is nice.
    Also, a shoutout to Black Blood Cultist from Champions of Ruin, though it's heavily Grapple based, so that's on you if its useful.
    Half-Dragon will qualify you for Rapidstrike and Improved.
    Barbarian for Pounce, always nice. Also helps qualify for BBC.
    A +1 Valorous Necklace of Natural Weapons could help if your charging a lot.
    That's all I got for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    What legacy do we leave, after all, but those quotes that others have sigged?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jergmo View Post
    What do you do when you fight an undead that turns into a spider that's filled with spiders that turns into spiders after trapping you in magical webbing? You scream, and you never stop.
    'Prax' is fine.

Take your forklift safety seriously, kids. You'll lose, every time.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

For natural weapons there are really three main choices: Totemist, as mentioned, druid, and warlock. Druid will have big problems with all that LA you've got there, and the warlock's claws probably can't be used with the half-dragon's natural weapons.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    For natural weapons there are really three main choices: Totemist, as mentioned, druid, and warlock. Druid will have big problems with all that LA you've got there, and the warlock's claws probably can't be used with the half-dragon's natural weapons.
    Fangshield ranger is also an option for natural weapon users. Best as a 2-6 level dip on a build, it lacks some (but not all) of the best spells for natural weapon use at the druid's disposal in exchange for getting a number of useful bonus feats and more skill points. I cannot recall whether or not minotaurs have scent, but if they do that track bonus feat from ranger is extra tasty.

Spacehamster: in general, natural attacking classes focus on gaining natural weapons and then using the ones they gain. Often this works since they can enhance natural weapons they already have (druid is great for this, and ranger's not terrible), but in the case of totemist and a number of other natural weapon users you're often not gaining much mileage out of already having natural weapons since your class features give you better natural weapons than the ones you'll enter with racially.

Honestly, you don't even need to take a class focused on natural attacking if you're a race that has them naturally. Grabbing levels in barbarian, martial initiators like warblade and swordsage, and even monk, ranger, or fighter can be powerful on these builds. Getting one level in barb for pounce from spirit lion totem barbarian then nabbing some fighter levels to grab the essential ubercharger bonus feats is not a bad build path to take. Dip one level of monk for improved unarmed strike and greater unarmed damage that way you can attack with every attack you get as part of your manufactured weapon routine's iterative attacks then follow up with all of your natural attacks (if you wield a weapon then doing this is harder). A Fangshields ranger/scout with swift hunter, one level monk and one level barb is going to be pretty solid at using natural weapons.

Or you can just go full druid and cast spells that make your natural weapons stronger than everything I mentioned.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Thanks for all the suggestions! :) will investigate when I get home from work, btw is there anything that you can get that gives you full STR dmg bonus with the secondary natural attacks? :)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacehamster View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions! :) will investigate when I get home from work, btw is there anything that you can get that gives you full STR dmg bonus with the secondary natural attacks? :)
    Monks get full Str damage on their offhand unarmed strikes. And Bloodclaw Masters (Tome of Battle) get full Str on offhand attacks if it's a Tiger Claw weapon, which includes claws and unarmed strikes.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Monks get full Str damage on their offhand unarmed strikes. And Bloodclaw Masters (Tome of Battle) get full Str on offhand attacks if it's a Tiger Claw weapon, which includes claws and unarmed strikes.
    Does secondary natural attacks count as offhand strikes? Meaning that 1 level monk gives you full str dmg bonus to the secondary nat attacks?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Does secondary natural attacks count as offhand strikes?
    Generally, no. Secondary natural attacks can't be offhand attacks. But Bloodclaw Master (and Shifter claws) are somewhat of an oddball exception, where you can use a claw as an offhand attack.

Meaning that 1 level monk gives you full str dmg bonus to the secondary nat attacks?
    No. Monks get full Str damage on all unarmed strikes, and those have different rules than secondary natural attacks. Unarmed strikes are treated similar to manufactured weapons for determining how often you attack with them (they get iteratives), but are treated as natural weapons for most everything else (although there is a somewhat long list of weird corner-case issues).

Sorry, I think I may have confused you. A better answer to your question would have been, "No, secondary natural attacks always get 1/2 Str bonus, but there are a few exceptions where you can use a natural attack as an offhand weapon and still get full Str bonus on damage."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

If you can get some Warshaper in there, you'll be able to grow more natural weapons and bump yours up a size category.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Changeling Totemist x/Pouncebarian 1/Warshaper 1 is kinda amazing for natural attacks (does Totemist get a source of pounce? You can drop the barbarian level, then).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    (does Totemist get a source of pounce? You can drop the barbarian level, then).
    Yes, through the hand bind of Sphinx Claws.

The Barbarian dip is still worth considering, though, to save on Chakra binds and to give you Rage(/Whirling Frenzy/whatever).
    Last edited by Karnith; 2014-07-12 at 10:44 AM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post

Sorry, I think I may have confused you. A better answer to your question would have been, "No, secondary natural attacks always get 1/2 Str bonus, but there are a few exceptions where you can use a natural attack as an offhand weapon and still get full Str bonus on damage."
    I was under the impression that how much damage a natural attack gets doesn't actually have anything to do with whether it's primary or secondary. Looking at monster entries for certain monsters you'll see things like claws with full strength, bite and tail with 1.5 strength. None of the attacks get diminished str returns. I was basically under the impression that whether you get full or reduced or bonus str on a natural attack depended on what monster you were and what the attack was (bite and tail attack almost always get 1.5x, claws get .5x or 1x, slams almost always get 1x, etc).

Edit: Also, for any build I suggest you find a way to get improved unarmed strike. One level of monk or a monk's belt or just taking the feat all work, but you want it. Improved unarmed strike on a natural attacks build is basically just a feat that gives you 1-4 bonus attacks. Totally worth it.
    Last edited by Kennisiou; 2014-07-12 at 11:05 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Oh btw does prehensile tail weapon attacks get more attacks from improved and greater two weapon fighting?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

You may want to add Snap Kick. It stacks with natural Attacks
    Sorry for the bad english guys, i'm trying hard to learn.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kennisiou View Post
    I was under the impression that how much damage a natural attack gets doesn't actually have anything to do with whether it's primary or secondary. Looking at monster entries for certain monsters you'll see things like claws with full strength, bite and tail with 1.5 strength. None of the attacks get diminished str returns. I was basically under the impression that whether you get full or reduced or bonus str on a natural attack depended on what monster you were and what the attack was (bite and tail attack almost always get 1.5x, claws get .5x or 1x, slams almost always get 1x, etc).
    The rule is that the primary attack (or a pair of identical ones) get Full STR to damage. All secondary attacks get 0.5 STR to damage. If the creature only has one Natural attack it gets 1.5 STR to damage. The entries of indidvidual mosnsters may be false or the monster in question has rules that overwrite this general rule (under Full Attack)

The King of Smack might also interest you.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-07-13 at 04:15 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

So does anyone know if you get two weapon attacks with prehensive tail if you get improved two weapon fighting? :)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

So does anyone know if you get two weapon attacks with prehensive tail if you get improved two weapon fighting? :)
    With improved two-weapon fighting you either get two attacks with your off hand or with your tail. Improved multi-weapon fighting would give you two attacks with all three

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    With improved two-weapon fighting you either get two attacks with your off hand or with your tail. Improved multi-weapon fighting would give you two attacks with all three
    Ok so if i wield a greatsword with my hands and a battleaxe with my tail and have imp two weapon fighting i would get the extra attack? :)

Cant get multi attack sadly since dont have 3 arms, if a prehensive tail dont count as a arm that is?
    Last edited by Spacehamster; 2014-07-13 at 06:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok so if i wield a greatsword with my hands and a battleaxe with my tail and have imp two weapon fighting i would get the extra attack? :)
    Yup. Whether the marginal increase in damage over a greatsword and armor spikes is worth the investment is up to you.

Cant get multi attack sadly since dont have 3 arms, if a prehensive tail dont count as a arm that is?
    You are in luck:
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpent Kingdoms p. 147
    If you have two hands, your tail counts as a third hand for the purpose of the Multiweapon Fighting feat and all other feats for which it is a prerequisite.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, you can do that, but since the battleaxe is not a light weapon, your TWF penalties would be -4 primary/-4 offhand. You'd want to wield a light weapon in your tail or take Oversize TWF (Complete Adventurer).

It's not entirely clear how Multiweapon Fighting interacts with other TWF feats, though. While MWF appears in the 3.5 MM, Improved MWF and Greater MWF only appear in Savage Species, so it's not clear if they were intended to work with the 3.0 or 3.5 TWF rules.

My general advice is to treat TWF and MWF as interchangeable: if you take TWF, then somehow wind up with three or more hands later, you just swap in the MWF feats. For prereq purposes, I advise just treating MWF/Improved MWF/Greater MWF exactly as if they were their TWF counterparts.

As Andezzar was so kind to point out, yes it counts.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

If you don't mind being evil a level of Soul Eater (BoVD) is great for natural attack based builds.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Multi-attack says 3 or more natural attacks, more arms. Your a half-dragon minotaur. You have 2 claws, a bite, and a gore, you can take multi-attack.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Thayan Gladiator from Champions of Ruin focuses on natural weapons.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shieldbunny View Post
    Multi-attack says 3 or more natural attacks, more arms. Your a half-dragon minotaur. You have 2 claws, a bite, and a gore, you can take multi-attack.
    Multiattack =/= Multiweapon Fighting. One reduces the penalties for secondary natural attacks and the other is TWF for creatures with more than two arms and (generally) only works with weapons wielded in hands.

Hmm Improved and Greater Multiweapon Fighting only appear on d20SRD and not in the SRD document. Strange.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Well the char is made will be using weapons as normal, triple wielding 2 warhammers and 1 longsword, all huge sized due to large + strongarm bracers, now to a really noob question: during a full attack can you spread your blows over several enemies that are in your threatened area? Asking cause for fun I tok feat hammers edge that lets me knock ppl prone if I hit with both hammer and sword. So would be nice to spread the prone love.

Spacehamster to infinity and beyond

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Yup. Your attacks can be distributed among all creatures in your threatened area. The only problem is that with three "arms" you will either have more hammer attacks (2 hammers, 1 sword) or more sword attacks (2 swords, 1 hammer), so you will have excess attacks that cannot be paired with attacks from the other weapon.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Yup. Your attacks can be distributed among all creatures in your threatened area. The only problem is that with three "arms" you will either have more hammer attacks (2 hammers, 1 sword) or more sword attacks (2 swords, 1 hammer), so you will have excess attacks that cannot be paired with attacks from the other weapon.
    yeah aware of that but still at current level(9) thats 2 hammer and 2 sword that I can spread and hit ppl prone,
    and 2 is better then one. :) And thanks for the answer. :)