New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Default How to shape a devastated city?

Here is the story: A Very Large Merchant City got cut off from most trade partners in the World due to the Cataclysm. Prior to this event this was a bustling merchant hub with all sorts of guilds, temples, nobility, several non-humanoid notable characters (dragons, lammasu, etc.). Worst of all, powerful spells got dissipated and can no longer be cast, but luckily this was not a floating city.

What would the effects of such an event be? Good clerics managed to set up several "milk rice producers", basically permanent "Produce food and water" constructs and do try to maintain order, but that seems like a lost hope. Many of the gods also died in Cataclysm, so things took even darker turn. In centuries, pantheon will rebalance, but it will take time.

How should I properly shape a setting for a campaign in such a city?

thanks
    Last edited by Balor01; 2014-07-14 at 08:07 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How to shape a devastated city?

Quote Originally Posted by Balor01 View Post
    Here is the story: A Very Large Merchant City got cut off from most trade partners in the World due to the Cataclysm. Prior to this event this was a bustling merchant hub with all sorts of guilds, temples, nobility, several non-humanoid notable characters (dragons, lammasu, etc.). Worst of all, powerful spells got dissipated and can no longer be cast, but luckily this was not a floating city.

What would the effects of such an event be? Good clerics managed to set up several "milk rice producers", basically permanent "Produce food and water" constructs and do try to maintain order, but that seems like a lost hope. Many of the gods also died in Cataclysm, so things took even darker turn. In centuries, pantheon will rebalance, but it will take time.

How should I properly shape a setting for a campaign in such a city?

thanks
    Did arcane magic also die in this cataclysm?
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Cities are grown on trade. Take the trade away and they die quickly. The dominant theme to start with, once immediate survival is secured, is emigration. There will be a lot of people who become unemployed virtually overnight. Unless someone manages to soak up all this excess labour, they will need to leave, even if the food is free (free food could put landowners out of business, btw., unless they manage to adapt to the situation). People still need clothes and housing, and they will want hope that things will improve for them. The city will enter a rapid downwards spiral as reductions of the economy means loss of population, which again leads to economic drops, etc. This will continue until the city recovers its economical equilibrium.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, short term, massed violence against those who have goods of value (merchants, vendors, rich folk), which ends in either the death of the upper and middle classes (and most of the people capable of keeping the city going), or militery control (and a loss of much of the population of the city).

If the city was unprepared for the loss of magic, or panic was too bad, or the right kind of cataclysm happened, fire might claim huge swaths of the city. Basically, there would be dead zones where only the most desperate venture, surrounded by a ring of super-poor and desperate, surrounded by the rest of the city.

A few months in, if enough of the population died, or if order was never meaningfully restored, plagues will ravage the city as the dead putrefy and start to ruin the water supply. More dead, and if possible, people will begin fleeing the city for the countryside if feasible. A few months from there, the city is a ghost town, occupied by looters, people who need to hide from other people, and predators.

Oh, and if magical races survived, those who feed off of humans, literally or emotionally, will FLOCK to the dead zones of cities.
    I use my Avatar at work as a Sepia Snake Sigil. You put it somewhere where the other players will inevitably find it and focus on it, requiring them to pass it off to another. If you manage not to focus on it, you don't have to take it.

I bet you just focused on it, didn't you?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

What's the nature of the cataclysm?

Wild magic zones? Random planar breaches? If some areas permit spells of level x, I assume control of such areas is desirable. Factions fighting for them, alliances etc.

Maybe part if the city collapsed into the underdark or lower parts were sucked through portals to the plane of earth/pandemonium.

Adventures to go find the lost temple of x where 5th level spells can still be cast, go find the nobles house after it fell into a chasm and recover (or destroy/modify) the deeds proving who owns a particular desirable location.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.