New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Would a few drinks relax the players more and allow for greater immersion?

So, I've used alcohol as a prop twice now in my 1.5 years of DMing (both times I gave the player an "exotic" drink, which wasn't really exotic, just rare and most of the people at the table never tried it), where a given NPC would toast with the characters and I would prepare shot glasses with the drink. Eager players took two or three shots, but nobody got close to being drunk, neither was that the point.

That being said, the players were more relaxed after those two scenes and tended to laugh more. I wouldn't say they were tipsy, but they were definitely in a slightly better mood (which was even before really good), so I've been thinking about including this kind of thing more often, though I'm not sure how often. The youngest member of the group has 20 years, so no problem there, but I don't want to make the game about drinking either. With all of that on the table, what do you guys think? Does anybody play regularly with alcohol, perhaps setting a bottle near the table along with the soda, snacks and whatnot, so that players can freely drink, so long as they, obviously, don't overdo it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Would a few drinks relax the players more and allow for greater immersion?

I don't think its abnormal to allow players a few drinks while playing. I've been known to have a couple of beers while playing or DMing. Not necessarily to get into character, but just because D&D is a social event, and if someone wants to have a few, have a few. Normal social rules apply though. Don't get too drunk, don't steal someone else's drink, and prb shouldn't drink around a recovering alcoholic.
    Check out my Campaign World, Hiltmarch
    http://www.obsidianportal.com/campai...ikis/main-page

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Somewhere, Conan the Barbarian refuses to weep, and instead curses Crom for permitting WotC to botch his class so badly.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Would a few drinks relax the players more and allow for greater immersion?

I think it depends on the players, but it can't hurt to try it. :)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I love playing with booze! It often leads to some crazy role play. We had a half-orc barbarian who just got out of jail and he couldn't find a girl anywhere, so decided to rape our party gnome. Later he bluffed his way out of it, claiming he had some kind of a mental disorder and was out of his meds. Needless to say, the poor gnome was traumatized for life and even hired a guard. I think A FEW (don't want anyone throwing up on the table) drinks help people relax which results in scenarios like this not being weird.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Drinks during a game?

Only if they're medieval. Like Ale, or wine, if they're playing nobles.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Annay View Post
    I love playing with booze! It often leads to some crazy role play. We had a half-orc barbarian who just got out of jail and he couldn't find a girl anywhere, so decided to rape our party gnome. Later he bluffed his way out of it, claiming he had some kind of a mental disorder and was out of his meds. Needless to say, the poor gnome was traumatized for life and even hired a guard. I think A FEW (don't want anyone throwing up on the table) drinks help people relax which results in scenarios like this not being weird.
    Profoundly inappropriate stuff like this makes me incredibly glad that I'm not a female trying to find a gaming group.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

For us it depends on the flow of the game and the mood of the players. A couple rounds of beer/cider/wine is not at all abnormal for us. As much as anything I think it is the physical actions of handling the bottle that seem to drive as much of the additional role-play though as amount consumed seems to not matter very much.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Depends on the players and what kind of drinkers they are. I've seen booze loosen people up. I've seen it distract people who stop roleplaying and start drinking. And I've seen it have no effect whatsoever. I say try it and see what happens.

Personally I fall into the have a beer during game camp.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Raphite1 View Post
    Profoundly inappropriate stuff like this makes me incredibly glad that I'm not a female trying to find a gaming group.
    When I look back at it now it seems a bit stupid, but we had lots of laughs back then. I play with my girlfriend a lot (quite often with alcohol involved) and with her I behave myself.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

It depends, if your players are having problems relaxing and getting into character a little bit of a buzz might not hurt, but if they're having other issues it wouldn't help. I'd make sure that anything calculation wise they need to do is as pre-done as is possible, to the point of writing up tables where things are added, especially if people are heavy drinkers. Also heavy drinking can ruin a game so I'd try to keep it light, the best way to do this is to supply the booze yourself, and then not supply enough for everybody to get completely lit.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raphite1 View Post
    Technically no indication was given as to the gnome's gender in or out of character. But let's not derail this thread discussing it, it seems to have been one of those rare cases where no one was particularly bothered.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Two of my real life groups definitely have drinking during the sessions, including the one at my house. Usually it's just some beers or mixed drinks like Rum'n'Cokes. Some nights get a little "funnier" than others, but for the most part it never is a distraction.

Although, not that long ago, we were playing a pirate-themed game and there was a whole lot of rum consumed. Luckily it was a very short-term game and it didn't matter if things got a bit off-track here and there.

I do not, however, prefer to partake in similar mind-altering methods while playing. Morality of whether or not one should do so aside, it is far too distracting from my experiences. Several of my past players would and it ended up dominating the table (both in focus and in smell) for those that were not 'participating'.
    "There's a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont
    "I fight... so that you don't have to."
    - Templar Thomas Marshall
    "I am not a warrior." "Very soon... you will be."
    - Conversation between Ahmad ibn Fadlan and Herger the Joyous

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erasmas View Post
    Two of my real life groups definitely have drinking during the sessions, including the one at my house. Usually it's just some beers or mixed drinks like Rum'n'Cokes. Some nights get a little "funnier" than others, but for the most part it never is a distraction.

Although, not that long ago, we were playing a pirate-themed game and there was a whole lot of rum consumed. Luckily it was a very short-term game and it didn't matter if things got a bit off-track here and there.

I do not, however, prefer to partake in similar mind-altering methods while playing. Morality of whether or not one should do so aside, it is far too distracting from my experiences. Several of my past players would and it ended up dominating the table (both in focus and in smell) for those that were not 'participating'.
    It's definitely not something you want to overdo, and probably one that's better if everybody is participating or if nobody does, at least that's been my experience.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I once had a player who, after drinking a stronger liquor than usual, got up from the table and wandered off, to return a few minutes later with a loaded and cocked hand-crossbow.

"Loaded and ready to kill!" he declared proudly, waving it unsteadily around. At that point the game came to a brief halt.

This was someone who typically had a glass or two of wine while we were gaming, nothing more. That particular night, some part of me had noticed he was drinking vodka or something similar, but I hadn't paid it much attention; I was focused on running the game, and it didn't really register that he was having something different.

The first indication was more confusing than anything. As we were roleplaying, he suddenly stopped, shuffled through his notes, and said, "You're summarizing remarkably well from last week."

I was puzzled. I knew for a fact the scenario was unfolding as we were playing it; I'd only come up with the last details on the drive over.

"Yes," he continued, and kept insisting that we'd actually been through the entire in-character conversation last week.

After that he got up, for no particular reason, and went into the other room where his wife was watching a football game. For a while he drifted back and forth between the gaming table and the TV room, and eventually wandered into the back, returning soon after with the crossbow.

As you can probably guess, this wasn't someone who could hold his liquor very well. He liked to sound sophisticated about his wines, and he had a collection of rum bottles and the like, but he tended to get sloshed fairly easily.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

My general rule when it comes to alcohol consumption during a game is to restrict it to breaks. If you want to drink a little before the game to loosen up or during breaks (including meal breaks), then go right ahead. But during actual game play, drinking isn't allowed. I find it's far too distracting, especially the stench. Plus there's the added factor that if someone spills a drink on the gaming surface then you risk having your books smell of whatever you're drinking.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cougon View Post
    My general rule when it comes to alcohol consumption during a game is to restrict it to breaks. If you want to drink a little before the game to loosen up or during breaks (including meal breaks), then go right ahead. But during actual game play, drinking isn't allowed. I find it's far too distracting, especially the stench. Plus there's the added factor that if someone spills a drink on the gaming surface then you risk having your books smell of whatever you're drinking.
    What are you drinking? If the stench is too bad to tolerate then clearly it shouldn't be going into your stomach... At least that's my viewpoint.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

My group has a hard enough time keeping on track and immersed. I think alcohol would completely break them out of immersion.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    What are you drinking? If the stench is too bad to tolerate then clearly it shouldn't be going into your stomach... At least that's my viewpoint.
    I don't drink at all, though some of my friends do. Oddly enough, even the smell of alcohol is enough to make my stomach turn, the taste does worse things to me. I suspect I may be allergic or something similar.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Regarding whether alcohol would relax and allow for greater immersion, more so than the group, it depends on the individual people and how well they tolerate alcohol. We routinely drink beers when we play, and nobody even comes close to being tipsy, though I can imagine that a couple of beers among other people might put them in a slightly altered state of mind.

It also depends on the maturity level of the group. All of the players in my group are over the age of 35, have been playing and drinking for years, and know each other quite well. In a younger group, alcohol might be a bigger draw and might be a bigger impediment.

Personally, I don't think that there's any harm in tossing out a few beer bottles, especially if it's a larger group, and seeing what happens. As you're the DM, you're well within your rights to determine how much alcohol is consumed.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I think it would lead, on the whole, to more disruption, though drunk gaming sounds like a fun idea for a one off as long as you know everyone and their limits.
    Like everything, you could make it a drinking game. Like, every time you drink a potion, you take a drink, and potions are the only form of healing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

It's definitely not a case of Gaming + Booze = Better Gaming.

It comes down to the group, as mentioned before. With some groups, a little bit of drinking is a great way to loosen everyone up and have a good time. With other groups, it's a terrible idea. I suspect it's related to their general actual maturity.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, it's just something for the individuals to decide if they're drinking alcohol or not.

I once ran the Tomb of Horrors as a drinking game. All dwarf party, with an artifact of the dwarven god of alcohol. Fail a check/saving throw/attack; drink a bit. When someone dies everbody needs to to finish their drink to resurrect the fallen. The party made it pretty far and was paying great attention to all the clues, especially considering the circumstances. That was fun and I need to do it some time soon again.
    Last edited by some guy; 2014-08-15 at 02:49 PM.
    Demiliches. Why'd it have to be demiliches?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by some guy View Post
    Yeah, it's just something for the individuals to decide if they're drinking alcohol or not.

I once ran the Tomb of Horrors as a drinking game. All dwarf party, with an artifact of the dwarven god of alcohol. Fail a check/saving throw/attack; drink a bit. When someone dies evertbody needs to to finish their drink to resurrect the fallen. The party made it pretty far and was paying great attention to all the clues, especially considering the circumstances. That was fun and I need to do it some time soon again.
    That would be the only way I'd play Tomb of Horrors. Oh, the accents, aye, they be coming thick and slurry, me laddie!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I think it would lead, on the whole, to more disruption, though drunk gaming sounds like a fun idea for a one off as long as you know everyone and their limits.
    Like everything, you could make it a drinking game. Like, every time you drink a potion, you take a drink, and potions are the only form of healing.
    I think the problem here is that many many people are taking "a few drinks" to mean "drunken orgy". It's like anything that needs relaxing, one or two beers will probably help you relax, any more and it'll start slumping downhill rapidly.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    I think the problem here is that many many people are taking "a few drinks" to mean "drunken orgy". It's like anything that needs relaxing, one or two beers will probably help you relax, any more and it'll start slumping downhill rapidly.
    I am a lightweight. Two drinks on an empty stomach and, well, I know I am feeling that, and I know a couple people even worse than me.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I am a lightweight. Two drinks on an empty stomach and, well, I know I am feeling that, and I know a couple people even worse than me.
    Well it's probably a personal call in any case, there was a time when I had to drink an entire six pack to even get to buzzed. Although I'm a bigger dude so that helps. In any case one or two drinks and food could probably make people more relaxed and help with roleplaying, if the problem people are having is that they're stiff or shy. Since alcohol does help with those things

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I agree with the general consensus that it depends entirely on the people and what sort of drinkers they are (including how their attitude generally changes when intoxicated) as well as the amount and rate of alcohol consumption.

Personally, I like to sometimes have a couple drinks while gaming. Usually not more than 4 or 5 mixed drinks in a 6 to 7 hour period; definitely not enough to make driving home a problem. The one exception is our group's Evil PC campaign: for that I need to maintain a slightly higher state of drunkenness in order to enable my character to do or say things that I would normally find uncomfortable.

It helps that there is a private bar in the same building where my gaming club meets.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Come to think of it, I've often had a drink (as in, a bottle of ale or a mixed drink) while gaming. That usually loosens me up enough.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

29. - Top - End - #29

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Annay View Post
    Personally I wouldn't want to play or DM a campaign where this was considered acceptable, but to each their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    To say that there is nothing new under the sun, is to forget there are more suns than we could possibly know what to do with and that there are probably a lot of new things under them.

30. - Top - End - #30

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lytokk View Post
    ... just because D&D is a social event, and if someone wants to have a few, have a few. Normal social rules apply though. Don't get too drunk, don't steal someone else's drink, and prb shouldn't drink around a recovering alcoholic.
    This.

Also, there is a difference between drinking while gaming, and gaming while drinking. One of our group was an AA member and so we never drank at his house because he didn't want it around his kids, but if we played at my house he was perfectly fine with us having a few drinks. Now we have all moved across the States and we play on Roll20, and most of us drink while we play. Last session one of the guys had too much and it was obvious, we all called him on it, and he agreed he needed to tone it down from now on. When I was in my early 20s the dynamic would be much different for us I am sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    To say that there is nothing new under the sun, is to forget there are more suns than we could possibly know what to do with and that there are probably a lot of new things under them.