New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Problems with crossing Changeling the Lost over with other fantasy 'verses

This was inspired by the second half of the first FMA series, which could be summed up as Promethean meets wizards. I was wondering if it would be possible to have something similar, like a Masquerade occurring within an already fantastical realm.

One big problem (and the most obvious one I can think of) is magic. Unlike in World of Darkness where muggles actively interfere with magic, magic is very much common knowledge and common-use. Even if a True Fae could somehow evade all those wizards screwing around with time and space and whatnot, could the same be said for escaped Changelings? How long would it be until the local mages' guild, arcane college or magocracy found out? I guess it partially depends on how powerful the magic is in the setting. In FMA, for instance, the magic was pretty low-power compared to other fantasy universes, with only Brotherhood's villain approaching the heavy-hitting levels of most sorcerers.
    Last edited by Super Evil User; 2014-07-20 at 04:34 AM.
    " Welcome, Nerevar. Together we shall speak for the Law and the Land, and shall drive the mongrel dogs of the Empire from Morrowind. "

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Problems with crossing Changeling the Lost over with other fantasy 'verses

Wow, a month in the reply. Wow.

Okay, the thing is that fae Contracts are rather subtle, and the ones that aren't are basic things like fireballs - easy to pass off as other magic. Pledges are something unique, and worth noting, but if they try, the Lost could go unpassed for a very long time. Especially given Pledges, which can include vows to secrecy.

Really, it depends on the True Fae, and how visible they feel like being.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.