New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Random Plots and Places 9: What a crazy, random happenstance!

Quote Originally Posted by Baeleck View Post
    [La Fontaine]

Urias's brow furrows. The nature of the pregnancy was rather suspect in his mind. 'This is the first I've heard of it. If she's having a child she should have come to see someone at the hospital, regardless of the circumstances.' Ensuring someone bearing a child is in good health is very important - not that Urias would likely have any direct part in it.
    Katrina looks thoughtful

Huh. Yeah... I suppose she should go see the healers. I don't really know much about dryads, we didn't have any around us.

Then she looks mildly concerned

It was only a couple of weeks ago, so she should still ok, right?

Katrina's only real concern with pregnancy so far has been "how not to".

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Deep View Post
    Vulpine Outpost

"And blacktop's in the garage... wait. Caroline, go down to blacktop. He's hardened against psychics and mental magic, and can connect you to Tamamo via text. In case of emergency, you two can escape. I have iron mare armor and plans for if I kick the bucket, but you need to stay alive!"

She looks at the screens again. "My help coming right now won't help much with an infiltrator, but if there is one they will have to be dealt with. I'll make another call."
    Caroline nods

Ok... I'll go wait with Blacktop.

Verise tasks one of the junior officers with showing Caroline the way, then sends another to round up a security detail. She looks at the officer.

Proceed with the assumption that we have a psychically or spiritually active assailant in the base. There has been one unconfirmed attack, more may happen any time. I want this locked down and dealt with yesterday!

The officer salutes before running off

Yes, Ma'am!

Verise turns back to Caravan

My troops will be wrapping up their briefings and begin deployment shortly. Hopefully we can avoid any more surprises

Oh, poor Verise... Did you really say that out loud?

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Granite City]

No one instantly screams and starts pointing at Zebes, so there's that. Everyone seems to be bustling about minding their own business, sure a few people give the 'disguised' Dragonite some extra space, but that's probably just because he's a big guy wearing a coat. As he passes a booth a man calls out to him, "Excuse me, sir! Would care to peruse our selection of only the finest Thunder Stones in all the Iwa Region? I can tell you're a fellow of discerning taste already."

Oh goody.

Someone trying to sell him stuff!

It would probably be rude to just ignore the guy, but how are they supposed to talk to him when they can only say the syllables from their names?

This is going to take a bit of trickery on the level of Sir Bearington. Especially since another customer just stopped to check out the Lightning Stones as well.

Think fast, Jace!

[Geode Town]

"Hey Fortuna! Which pokemon are you going to pick?" Sky asks curiously as the child and the not-child inch closer to the professor one chosen starter pokemon at a time. "You had better not get the one that beats mine just to be mean!"

"Oh, well-" Fortuna mutters. She really IS going to have to pick one, isn't she? If she doesn't then it'll look really suspicious. And she can't be looking suspicious in this room full of pokemon catching equipment. "I was thinking of getting Trapinch."

"Really? I'm getting Vanillite! He looks really cool!" a pause. "Get it? Cool? Because he's Ice-type?"

<Hahahaha! Oh man! That was, like, the best joke ever!> Henry laughs. <I like this kid, Forte, we should be friends with him!>

Fortuna groans in exasperation.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Dwarf in the Playground

[La Fontaine]

'I don't figure the rest of the hospital staff know much about dryads either. Myself included,' Urias admits. 'It's not always physiological knowledge that's helpful though, y'know? Kind words and reassurance and having people there to support you are just as important.'

It's her psychological well-being that Urias is more concerned over, especially if she was being uncommunicative.

He smiles, and chuckles slightly. 'If it's only a fortnight, she'll be fine.'
    Active Nexus Characters: Urias Starsailor

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Ogre in the Playground

Granite City

The nature of Jace and Zebes' bond has not been removed by the chaos magic, so Jace is still capable of giving up some of his own senses to use Zebes'. As such, he knows what is going on.

And right now, he's panicking.
    Ohcrapohcrapgonnagetcaughtgonnagetcaught
    [Boss, don't you know Role-Play?]
    Zebes don't be stupid of course I know my own-oh. Huh, yeah I do know that one. Psychic, Telekinesis, and RP are my Psi moves. How'd you remember when I didn't?
    [All those points in Bluff had to go somewhere.]
    What?
    [I said you used to Bluff for the party back in the day, remember? You must have jus forgotten in all the stress.]
    Okay, so what do you want me to do with it? There aren't pokemon around to copy.
    [Copy the man and use it to talk. They'll think it's me.]
    What? That's ridiculous. It doesn't work that way! He's human.
    [For some things humans count as pokemon. A lot of things actually. Just try it. I'll break out of this coat and fly if you screw up. I trust you Boss.]

Jace stiffens. Friends trusting him, the most important of motivations. Jace takes a deep breath, focuses on the man in "his" sight, and lets the breath go.

Jace uses Role Play! It's super ironic!

"Terribly sorry sir, but I'm afraid that I have an appointment I simply must be on time for. Your Stones do seem to be of the utmost quality, and I'll be sure to come by on my day off tomorrow."
    Comes a voice from the "man" in the trench-coat, who shakes his head. The shopkeeper is surely too busy finding a new mark to hawk is wares to once he's turned down to notice the man has the same voice and accent as he. Well, hopefully he doesn't notice.

[Hehe...recursion.]
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2014-09-23 at 11:09 AM.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vulpine Outpost

"Hope for the best, plan for the worst. 6 minutes until the heavy arrives. One of my friends is on the way as well. She won't bee too helpful in real combat, but she's excellent with investigations."

In the shadow realm, someone moves across the land. Distance is kind of iffy in the shadow realm, and as a result she's making excellent time. As she approaches the battlefield, and later the outpost, she keeps her eyes open for anything... unusual.

Silicon Route

Kellform moves back down. "<Okay, there are several Pokemon trainers, and I can't see a city. We must be in a heavily Pokemon part of... ah, hello.>" she says to the bidoof.

"<You think we can get some headbands or fanny packs or something?>"

"<What?>"

"<Like this, we're wild pokemon. If we put on clothes, it makes us curiosities.>"
    Last edited by Lost_Deep; 2014-09-23 at 11:45 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1086

[Granite City]

When a person speaks, their own voice sounds differently to them than it does to everyone else who hears them. The poor fellow hasn't ever heard his voice recorded before and so he doesn't recognize the voice that Jace speaks back to him as his own. It's just one guy of many guys. The shop owner shrugs and begins flagging down the next passer-by.

Can't believe that worked!

As Jace and Zebes begin moving away, they might overhead a conversation from the next few booths over.

"I can't believe you're selling those things, they're dangerous!" comes the voice of a young woman glowering at the somewhat seedy looking owner of the booth.

"Hey, gloom stones are perfectly legal," he counters. "Just because you don't like them doesn't chance that. If you don't want any then don't buy them."

The two pokemon might recognize the subtle miasma of oily darkness that seems to cling to the basket full of black crystals. That creepy looking, spiky machine they had helped destroy not to long ago gave off a feeling that was quite similar.

[Geode Town]

At long last, Sky steps up to the table. He's ready. This is it! The first step in his pokemon journey! Surely he is to become the new pokemon league champions of the Iwa region! But first? Professor Willow has some very important questions. "Are you a boy or a girl?"

Sky face-palms. "I already told you! I'm a boy and my name is Sky!"

The elderly professor squints at him. "Well, if you say so. The pokemon you choose here will be-"

Blah blah blah blah. Same thing the old coot has said to everyone so far. Sky grabs a Vanillite and books it before Willow can bore him to death. Flee!

Now only Fortuna remains. She gets the same treatment as everyone else. "Are you a boy or a girl?"

"I'm a girl. And my name is Fortuna Wonder. I already have a pokemon," she says, holding up Henry by the tail. The Magikarp flops around a bit. "Do I really need another one?"

"Yes," Prof Willow says definitively. "You really need another one. Heading out into the world of pokemon with just a Magikarp is dangerous. You need a pokemon that can protect you."

<Aaww, why's he gotta be a hater?> Henry laments.

"Okay... I'll take Trapinch, then," Fortuna signs as she picks up the pokeball. "And I already have pokegear. Could you just update it for me? I'm... umm... from out of town."

"Why of course! Anything for an intrepid new pokemon trainer!"

[Silicon Route]

That's... Actually a really great idea. If they put on clothing of some kind there's a good chance that people will assume that they already belong to a trainer. And if people think they belong to a trainer already there won't be any reason to try to catch them. Brilliant!

Good thing there are a bunch of kids loitering about that they could mug for accessories.

Though they would have to be pretty sneaky about it...

<Lots of words,> one of the Bidoofs comments.
    <Yes, words,> another agrees.
    <Many words,> says a third.

They sniff at the Kells again. Seems the wild pokemon are somewhat suspicious about these weird newcomers with such expansive vocabularies.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2014-09-23 at 11:48 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Dwarf in the Playground

Silicon Route

Kellia raises her eyebrows. She then kneels down to pet more bidoofs.

I think talking might be confusing them. Let's use my telepathy instead.

I'm not sure I know how?

Just like that. So, getting clothes?

A really good idea, the question is how...

Castform lands next to the bidoofs. "<Very lost. Far from home. Very sad. Want to go home.>"

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Ogre in the Playground

Granite City

Zebes keeps walking, and stops for a moment at the odd booth.

"Oh? And what are these apparently much-debated stones of yours?" says the "man" in the coat, dipping his hat so it's hidden that his mouth isn't moving.

What is this strange invention? Is this guy with those helmeted dorks?

9. - Top - End - #1089

[Silicon Route]

<Sad. Where home? I help,> the cleverest of the Bidoofs replies. The others begin doofing in agreement. Seems our heroes found some friends!

As for the clothing... Well, that is a good question, isn't it? How will they get a hold of clothing? Maybe wait for a new trainer to get swamped by wild pokemon and black out? They they could steal their accessories!

[Granite City]

"He's selling gloom stones!" the woman says, pointing an accusing finger at the merchant. "They make pokemon more powerful and aggressive! They're dangerous! What's worse, they become nearly mindless when under the influence of a gloom stone!"

The merchant shrugs. "Come on, lady. Pokemon are just dumb animals. It's not like they can get any dumber. If some trainer wants to hop up their pokemon on a gloom stone then what's it to me? It's no different from rare candies or vitamins. The stuff is legal. You think the Pokemon League would allow gloom stones if they were dangerous?"

The woman fumes at the merchant, but doesn't reply.

[Geode Town]

Fortuna steps out into the sun of a brave new world! The Iwa region now stands before her, a pokemon adventure like no other! Unlike all the other kids who just came pouring out of the lab, she isn't so interested in becoming a pokemon master. She just wants to find her lost friends. With that in mind, she begins checking her PIPcolt to see what area is like. If she were her friends, where would she be?

Sadly her train of thought is derailed by a challenge!

"Hey Fortuna!" Sky calls out as he brandishes his one and only pokeball at her. "I challenge you to a pokemon battle!"

Most of the other children are pairing off and doing the same. Their very first pokemon fight! Sky seems surprised when Fortuna doesn't seem the least bit excited.

"I really don't know if that's a good idea right now, Sky. I'm missing the rest of my pokemon team and I'm trying to figure out where they might have gone. That's why I needed the map update from Professor Willow," she explains.

"But I challenged you! We have to battle now! Those are the rules!" Sky insists.

With a long suffering sigh from Fortuna, the trainer battle music begins!

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Ogre in the Playground

Granite City

Zebes scowls, not that it's visible.
    "Sapience in pokemon is uncommon but not unheard of. Many psychic types have near-human intelligent, and there's plenty of famous examples of those kinds talking. Vitamins boost natural systems, and rare candies are questionable but are mostly just simple physical boosts. These things influence the mind, and that's very much something that's understandably questioned. Good day."
    Zebes walks away, but not too far. He'll find a wall to lean against for a while. Fortuna can wait, he better keep an eye on that stand. If there's a building nearby he can stand on top of that and my less noticeable. Maybe if they keep an eye on this guy he'll lead them to their supplier, and they can bust their whole operation wide open! Heck yeah!

11. - Top - End - #1091

[Granite City]

"Yeah, well, you don't have to buy them either, buddy," the merchant replies with a huff.

A few minutes after Jace and Zebes depart they'll find that someone has followed them! Specifically the gal who was talking with the merchant. She had a prim, short hair cut and a fairly conservative looking suit on. The thing looks tailored, so whoever she is she's probably a professional of some kind. "Sir, excuse me?" she says as she nears the disguised Dragonite. "I hope I'm not bothering you, but it's so great to see other people who are concerned about gloom stones. They're just so dangerous! I don't care what the Pokemon League says! They cause real and obvious mental damage to pokemon and they deserve to be outlawed! I just need to find some way to convince the authorities that they're a threat."

The woman gives a sigh, then bonks her head with the flat of her palm. "Silly me, rambling before I even introduced myself." She offers a hand for Zebes to shake. "I'm Professor Iris, a pokemon professor here in Granite City."

Wuoh!

This could blow their cover!

Danger, Jace! Danger!

[Geode Town]

"Go Frosty!" Sky announces, sending out his absurd looking snow pokemon.

Fortuna gives Henry a sidelong glance before shrugging him and tossing him in front of his opponent. "Go Henry?"

Henry lands on the ground with a dull thump and flops a few times, the sun shimmering off his pretty golden scales. <Oh yeah! I'm going to Tackle that guy straight into next week! Just you watch, Forte!>

"That sounds like a good idea to me, Tackle him good, Henry!" Fortuna proclaims, pointing a finger at the opposing Vanillite.

With a might "KAAAAAARP!" Henry launches himself at Frosty! Kapow!

"Woah, no way!" Sky gasps as the Ice-type staggers back. "Frosty can't take another hit like that! How is a Magikarp so strong?"

<Bro, do you even Splash? I always drink my protein shakes!> Henry boasts.

"Don't stand up for that, Frosty! Use Icicle Spear!" Sky commands. The little snow pokemon launches his projectile at Henry, though the attack glances off his golden scales! Looks like the attack isn't very effective...

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Ogre in the Playground

Granite City

Oh geez. There's no way she won't notice him sounding like a woman! But he has no choice, he has to try. He tries to talk into the bag hanging from Zebes' back to muffle his voice somewhat. Zebes' hands remain folded in the sleeves of his coat.
    "Call me Z. Forgive me, but I'm quite sick at the moment. I'd love to help you, but if you don't mind, perhaps we ought to talk somewhere where those people might not follow." he says, hoping she won't notice his voice. Or rather, hers.

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Silicon Route]

<Sad. Where home? I help,> the cleverest of the Bidoofs replies. The others begin doofing in agreement. Seems our heroes found some friends!

As for the clothing... Well, that is a good question, isn't it? How will they get a hold of clothing? Maybe wait for a new trainer to get swamped by wild pokemon and black out? They they could steal their accessories!
    "<Thank you! But home far away. Past many humans. We think, get clothes. Bidoof know clothes?>"

Kellia mimics putting on a hat and vest.

14. - Top - End - #1094

[Silicon Route]

The Bidoof just stares at Kell blankly.

But suddenly a trainer begins tromping through the brush! Unfortunately for them, they run right into the middle of the Bidoof swarm that's clustered around the Kells. Wild pokemon battle start! The Kells can try joining in, or they can just huddle in the tall grass and hope they don't get noticed.

"Wow! Look at all these Bidoofs! Go Silver!" the young girl with a rather classy looking hat and scarf says, tossing out her pokeball to release an Aron! The little dinosaur looking pokemon braces himself for battle! The six Bidoof array themselves against him! Considering Aron's double resistance to normal attacks he might actually be able to weather this battle. "Okay Silver, use Mudslap!"

"Aaaaaar!" the pokemon cries before kicking up a sheet of blinding mud into the face of one of the Bidoofs!

[Granite City]

Professor Iris' brow knits slightly, but soon she shrugs and starts heading toward a nearby pokemon lab! "Of course, we can talk privately in my office."

Assuming Jace and Zebes follow, they'll be lead through a rather fancy modern building with lots of equipment set up for studying various types of stones and crystals! And, of course, their effect on pokemon. There are a few ratattas in cages shrouded with a greasy black aura gnawing at the bars and snarling at the trench-coated pair as they walk past. Interesting...

Once they get inside Iris' office she'll close the door behind them and gives a small sigh. "I really can't believe you two got this far with that absurd disguise. You can feel free to take it off in here, it's safe."

[Geode Town]

"KAAAAARP!"

Another Tackle and Frosty drops like... well... like a snowcone pokemon, really. "Aw man, I lost..." Sky sulks.

<Did you see that, Forte? It totally creamed him! Get it? Like ice cream? Oh man, I kill myself!> Henry laughs.

Fortuna rolls her eyes, but in spite of that she's smiling. "That was really exciting, Sky. But you shouldn't feel bad. Henry and I have fought lots of battles together already."

<Usually you use me to clobber people,> the fish points out.

"Hush, you," Fortuna laughs at her fishy friend. Then she smiles back at Sky as he returns Frosty to his ball. "You should make sure to visit the pokemon center before you leave town. Tall grass is dangerous."

"Yeah, I guess," Sky huffs. "You sure do talk to your Magikarp a lot."

"Haha! Yeah... That's just because we're such good friends! After all, I'm a normal human and normal humans definently don't talk to pokemon. Ha! Ha ha..." Fortuna replies lamely.

<I give that bluff a solid four out of twenty, Forte.>

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Dwarf in the Playground

Silicon Route

The pair look at each other.

Let's ruin this.

Kellform will try to swoop in behind the Aron, pick him up, flip him over, and then drive that spike on his back into the ground. It's kind of like a suplex.

Kellia tries to telekinetically steal the pokeballs and any nice electronics off of the trainer's belt.

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Ogre in the Playground

Granite City

The pair both release a sigh of relief. Zebes removes his hat, coat and bag and hangs them up neatly on the nearest rack or hook.
    Oh, thank goodness. I was really starting to question the average intelligence of this city when no one noticed the scales. And was really, really hoping someone with your qualifications wouldn't be fooled by that terrible disguise. I can't even fault Zebes considering how long it worked. sends Jace to the human lady as he settles himself on Zebes' shoulders. The young man's voice that comes from his telepathy is probably not what the Professor was expecting.
    Zebes simply gives a bashful shrug when he's mentioned. He really hadn't thought it would have worked that well!

17. - Top - End - #1097

[Granite City]

Welp.

Now the woman is standing there with a look on her face somewhere between shock and amazement.

The Dragonite she was kind of expecting, what with the size and the scales. But the Victini? Those are typically rare enough to be considered legendary. She quickly grabs her pokedex and holds it up to get a shot of the two of them. She hasn't ever seen a victini before!

"Victini, the victory pokemon," the machine warbles. "This pokemon can store tremendous pyrokinetic energy in its body and release it into its friends to energize them with renewed vigor."

Prof Iris gives her head a little shake. "Oh, ah, sorry. I was expecting an Abra, maybe, but not a Victini! I won't debase you with requests to submit to any testing. I've told people that many pokemon are far more intelligent than most think, but it's difficult to gain any headway. I research pokemon intelligence, as a matter of fact. So you can understand my concern when gloom stones started gaining popularity a year ago. Is that why you're here? To look into the source of these stones that rob pokemon of their minds?"

[Silicon Route]

"H-hey! That stuff is mine!" the girl cries out as she gets looted by pokemon. As it happens, she only had one pokeball with anyone in it, but said anyone is on his back like a turtle right now. Getting swarmed by Bidoofs. Though the Kells can't just grab her pokegear. That thing is strapped to her wrist. The girl runs over to Silver and begins trying to yank him out of the ground, getting nipped at by the Bidoofs in the process.

[Geode Town]

Fortuna is looking at the pokeball in her hands. "Well... I guess now is as good a time as any to meet you."

A red beam springs from the ball and releases the Trapinch! <Pinch.>

Fortuna smiles at the pokemon. "Hi there! Can you understand me?"

<Pinch?> the critter replies.

<I don't think he's bright enough to known human talk, Forte. Maybe trying poketalk with him?> Henry suggests helpfully.

Fortuna gives a little nod, looks around to make sure no one is watching, and then kneels down in front of the pokemon. "Mew mew! Mew mew. Mew mew mew?" <Hi there! I'm Fortuna. What's your name?> She asks, reaching out a hand to pet him.

The Trapinch decides to show his affection in the only way he knows how.

By biting Fortuna.

<Aaww! He likes you!> Henry laughs while Fortuna desperately tries to free her hand.

<This isn't funny, Henry! And it kind of hurts!> she retorts.

<Haha, wow! He's really chewing on you!> the fish comments, flopping upright for a better view. Fortuna aims a kick at him to knock him back onto his side. <Aaww... Not cool, Forte!>

Fortuna yanks her hand out of the critter's mouth and glowers at him. <No! That's bad! Bad Trapinch! You don't bite people who are being nice! You only bites things that are bad and/or are food!> she scolds.

Then hears a gasp behind her.

She whirls around to find Sky staring at her, his mouth hanging open.

<I can-> "I mean, I can explain! This isn't what it looks like!"

"You cant talk to pokemon!" Sky exclaims.

<Buuuuusted!>

<Shut up, Henry.>

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Dwarf in the Playground

Silicon Route

And now to add insult it injury, Kellia tries to pull the trainer's belt down and tie it around her ankles.

This is going to sound crazy, but can you play along? Sorry to to this.

Kellform buzzes the bidoofs. "<Scatter! She can't catch you if she can't find you!>"
    Last edited by Lost_Deep; 2014-09-23 at 08:26 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Ogre in the Playground

Granite City- Iris' Lab

Not to be confused with a certain gym-leader-turned-Champion.

Jace can't help but puff out his chest a little and look proud at her admiration and the pokedex's description, even though that's what Fortuna said before. But then he has to get a bit serious. He shakes his head.
    "Sorry, but we're really only here because of an accident. That being said, the aura of the Stones is very similar to a machine used by a certain Team Helmet, which produced a similar effect. That machine's prompt explosion (whoops) is probably what messed with Fortuna and made her mess up the Teleport. I have to find her and especially the Kells. She and we should be fine, but those two don't have the same power backing them. Oh and Henry, but Fortuna will keep him safe. Still, these guys are a problem, and if we can help squash 'em while we're here it'd be great.
    ...technically speaking we're totally wild and catchable, so if we could stick around for a while during the search it'd really take a load off our minds. Does that seem like a fair trade to you?"
    he Sends to her, Zebes tapping a foot against the ground and getting steadily more annoyed at his inability to provide input.

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Pixie in the Playground

[La Fontaine]

Quote Originally Posted by Baeleck View Post
    'I don't figure the rest of the hospital staff know much about dryads either. Myself included,' Urias admits. 'It's not always physiological knowledge that's helpful though, y'know? Kind words and reassurance and having people there to support you are just as important.'

It's her psychological well-being that Urias is more concerned over, especially if she was being uncommunicative.

He smiles, and chuckles slightly. 'If it's only a fortnight, she'll be fine.'
    Katrina sighs in relief

That does make a lot of sense. Thanks, I'll encourage her to get a checkup.

The band starts to tune their instruments and check the equipment. People begin to crowd into the empty space in front of the stage.

Vulpine Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Deep View Post
    "Hope for the best, plan for the worst. 6 minutes until the heavy arrives. One of my friends is on the way as well. She won't bee too helpful in real combat, but she's excellent with investigations."

In the shadow realm, someone moves across the land. Distance is kind of iffy in the shadow realm, and as a result she's making excellent time. As she approaches the battlefield, and later the outpost, she keeps her eyes open for anything... unusual.
    Verise nods, and her comm beeps at her. She listens briefly

We're loading up. Tactical bombers are already heading out, with full escort. Looks like the dragons didn't do well against anti-aircraft... so pretty solid confirmation that they were a diversion. That makes me worried that Caroline's infiltrator and the person she was concerned about might just be the same...

The shadowy person will see that the base is just shy of being under siege by a sizeable contingent of very unpleasant looking dark forms. They appear to be led by an enormous, wingless black dragon.

[Palace of Orochi]

Orochi smiles reassuringly at the blank looks from Helen

Have no fear, Helen: I will not ask you to try to tackle advanced mathematics with your conscious mind! I have only ever seen one attempt at writing the equations out, and the person in question was quite thoroughly insane. Whether that was a cause or an effect I am not certain.

But the fact remains that your unconscious self, that spark of you that is the Dynamic Singularity, is performing those calculations at a rate that is actually the determining factor of the speed of light in a vacuum. And it is that calculation that you seek to alter with your magic: both for yourself and for other instances of the Singularity within your range by taking advantage of various... idiosyncrasies... of that automatic process.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2014-09-23 at 08:42 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vulpine Outpost

Caravan nods, and then- "STOP EVERYTHING. If you have a strong weapon that works in the shadow realm, you need to prep it RIGHT NOW-"

"THERE IS NO INFILTRATOR. THERE'S A DEMON AT THE GATE, AND WE CAN'T SEE IT BECAUSE IT'S IN THE SHADOW REALM."

"EBONY GET IN HERE. BLACKTOP, IS CAROLINE WITH YOU?" Caravan is officially flipping out.

The woman in the shadow realm rushes forward to get around the force and into the base.

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Titan in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Helen takes a deep breath, recovering from information overload, and says, "Okay...So...By altering our perception, we alter the universe around us? No wonder it's so exhausting..."

23. - Top - End - #1103

[Silicon Route]

Silver fainted!

He just couldn't stand up to that pummeling.

And then?

The Bidoofs turn on the poor girl, swarming her from all sides! She screams and flails and finally blacks out from fright! With a thump she drops into the tall grass and the Bidoofs scatter.

"Hey! That trainer just fainted!" one onlooker calls out.

If the Kells want to steal the girl's hat and scarf then they had better do it quick!

[Granite City]

Professor Iris, as it happens, has purple hair. Just like a wild iris!

She nods at Jace's description. "Team Helmet? I'm afraid I haven't ever heard of them. But if a new criminal organization has cropped up using gloom stones, they could cause some real damage," she says as she withdraws an odd looking device from her desk. "I take it your other friends are all sapient wild pokemon like yourself? I've tried pushing for laws that make capturing sapient pokemon illegal, but I haven't had any luck so far. But I might be able to offer you the next best thing."

The Prof holds the device up for Jace to see. "This is for banding wild pokemon. It marks them as the subject of an ongoing scientific study, tracks their location, and make it impossible to catch them with pokeballs. The ball will detect the band and won't even attempt a capture. I could band you both, and your friends too, if you can get them safely to Granite City. In the mean time, I'll contact the authorities about this Team Helmet and see what I can find out."

Wooo! They have a plan!

[Geode Town]

Fortuna sighs.

The jig is up.

"Yes... I can talk to pokemon," she admits.

"Ohmygosh! That is SO COOL!" Sky squeals with delight, before remembering that he has to be cool, too. "I mean, if you're into that sort of thing."

<Sick recovery, bro,> Henry laughs. Sky stares at the fish for a moment.

"What did he just say?" the boy inquires.

"He was making fun of you," Fortuna says without missing a beat.

<Pinch.>

"And what did he say?"

"He just keeps saying pinch. I don't think he's old enough to really talk yet. Or do much besides biting," Fortuna grumbles. That bite really hurt!

"Cool! Hey! Could you talk to Frosty for me?" Sky asks, releasing the pokemon before Fortuna can even reply. The kid shoves the pokemon toward her. "Go on, talk to her!"

"Umm... Okay. Mew. Mew mew." <Hello. I'm Fortuna,> she says.

The Vanillite peers at her for a few moments before replying. <I Frosty. Fish hit hard.>

Fortuna's expressing slowly softens. "Mew mew mew mew, Mew. Mew mew, mew mew mew mew mew mew. Mew mew mew mew MEW!" <Nice to meet you, Frosty. And yes, my friend Henry hits really hard. But I hit even harder!>

The Ice-types little eyes widen. <Oooh! What pokemon you?>

At that Fortuna giggles. "Mew mew Mew, mew mew! Mew mew mew mew mew!" <I'm a Mew, of course! What else would I be?>

"This is so wicked awesome!" Sky squeals again, totally forgetting about playing it cool. "What are you talking about?"

"Just telling each other our names and talking about Henry. And she wanted to know what kind of pokemon I am," Fortuna replies with a nervous little laugh.

That seems to make Sky thoughtful. "Yeah, that's pretty funny. What kind of pokemon are you? Hah."

A beat.

"Hey Fortuna, you know how pokemon talk by saying their name? Well... you just keep saying 'mew' over and over," he points out. Fortuna fidgets uncomfortably. Is she going to have to use Psychic to wipe this poor kid's memories? "Is it because-"

Here it is, the moment of truth! Fortuna braces herself for her inevitable hasty retreat.

"-a Mew taught you have to talk in pokemon?"

"Yes! Yes, that's it exactly!"

"This is so cool! You're the coolest rival ever!"

"...wait... Rival?" Now she's confused.

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Pixie in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Orochi positively beams

Exactly right! And the bigger of a change you try to cause, the more work it is! But "bigger" can be deceptive: often there is more than one way to do something, and frequently the easiest way is not necessarily the most obvious one. And that is why a basic knowledge of the universe makes you more powerful. Perhaps the best way to warm something up is to add heat... but maybe the best way is to take some cold away! Or maybe there's something already the temperature you want that you could borrow from. The possibilities are vast, but if you don't even know to look? If you are stuck with some formula you read in a book somewhere? You might just exhaust yourself for an effect that could be done trivially, if only you knew better.

Frederick chimes in

And that's why we have the categories of magic user that we do!

Mages, who are the most common of the arcane energy using magicians, mages have collections of spells that they use. As a rule, they do not understand why their spells work. A mage can never change an existing spell except by accident and is incapable of inventing new spells.
    Wizards. A wizard usually has a limited understanding of the meaning and functioning of the spells he uses. An experienced wizard can, through much effort and study, improve an existing spell or create a new one. They are rare compared to mages.
    Spellbinders. A very rare type of the spell-using magicians, spellbinders have an intimate understanding of spells and the primitive elements of spells. They are capable of creating new spells on short notice, they can make extensive modifications to existing spells, and the most experienced and powerful can cast “extemporaneously” – although this is frightfully dangerous. They can occasionally and with great difficulty modify existing spell elements. Spellbinders cannot create new spell elements except by accident and often have substantial hordes of spell-books, scrolls, and items for study.
    Spellweavers. The most rare type of all spell-using magicians, spellweavers not only possess an intimate understanding of spell elements, but of the principles behind them. They can cast spells of any sort essentially at will and rarely bother with anything but their own creations. They can modify existing spell elements and can even create new elements (although not while casting).

Orochi nods

All quite right, but we really aren't quite to that point yet.

[Vulpine Outpost]

Yup, Caroline is with Blacktop.

Verise scowls and barks at her analysts

All this fuss and nobody's monitoring the near planes?! Get me a scan, and double-quick

We're having trouble resolving anything, Ma'am. We thought there was nothing, maybe a storm... but on further consideration... something is actively interfering with the scanner.

I'm picking up a category 5 entity on the arcane band... maybe 6 - that's a primary Messenger or Avatar level signal.

Tenjin's Messenger is already toast... so that means...

On screen.

And there for all to see is an enormous black oriental dragon - easily six hundred feet long. His crest and fins are firey read and intense orange, and he is surrounded by a host of demonic forms all hopping and prancing around.

Well... at least we don't have to wonder where Tenjin is, anymore. It's "all in", now... recall the bombers and outfit for shadow: we're going dragon hunting.

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Silicon Route

They yoink the hat and scarf.

"<I feel like we did that exactly wrong. Hey! Leave her the pokedevice! And her money.>"

"<I think she passed out from fear. There's no way that she passed out from injuries, those things barely did more than tap her a few times. Just give me a minute!>" Kellia will try to get a good look at the region map on the girl's pokenav or whatever. Just enough of a look for her psychic-powered brain to remember it! Then the pair will flee the scene.

Vulpine Outpost

Caravan is doing something inside her helmet...

"Look, I'll punch the logistics in the face later. This is more than a scuffle, more than a quick thing, at this rate we may get into ANOTHER holy war. Put them on alert! And get to the Nexus! I'm an economics genius, not a tactical one! THAT'S WHY I PAY YOU. VERISE I'M GOING TO MICROMANAGE MORE IT'S HOW I DEAL WITH EXTREME SHORT TERM STRESS! My sources imply various methods of mental manipulation, including possible total mind control from witnessing the beat or somesuch other nonsense. Plan for that."
    Last edited by Lost_Deep; 2014-09-23 at 09:40 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Ogre in the Playground

Granite City

Ooh, does she have the same rare-for-pokemon darker skin tone?

Jace looks at the thing. "So, is it like something we wear, or an injected thing, or...?
    Anyway, our friends should be a Kirlia, Castform, and a pink-haired girl with a Magikarp. She's psychic. If anyone sees someone odd like that, please try to get a message that Jace needs them here. I have no idea where the botched Teleport sent them.
    If anyone asks, the grunts looked like..."

Jace provides a very accurate description of the two grunts!

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Titan in the Playground

[Palace of Orochi]

Helen nods and says, "Alright...I understand, I think. What does this have to do with Shadow Magic? Beyond just the fundamentals?"

28. - Top - End - #1108

[Granite City]

Sure, why not? Professor Iris has a dark brown complexion.

"It's a band," she replies. "An adjustable one, usually secured around an ankle or wrist. Barring that, we attach them where we can."

That's good to know! That means removing it later should be pretty easy.

"Hmm... A Kirlia and a Castform? Those are both rare in the Iwa region..." Iris says. "And the pink-haired girl, is she the one who used the Teleport or was that the Kirlia who did? You said the teleporter's name is Fortuna? Not really a common name here..."

She begins fiddling with her PC, bringing up the system data on the region's pokemon trainer. She gets a hit nearly right away. "Ah! Here we are! A pink haired girl named Fortuna Wonder registered as a pokemon trainer today at the Geode Town pokemon lab. My colleague Professor Willow works there." She gives a little hrm. "Geode Town is quite the distance from Granite City... Would you like me to call her pokegear for you?"

The professor has a suspicion... She's putting a few things together. Pink haired, blue eyed psychic girl with a Mew hat who can Teleport traveling with a bunch of wild pokemon? One of which is a legendary, no less? Iris is beginning to think there might be two legendary pokemon in this little group.

[Silicon Route]

Clothing is stolen and our heroes book it! Flee!

A pair of trainers walk up to the fainted girl, looking down at her. "We should take her back to the pokemon center in town," says the first.

"Yeah, and we should take half her money while we're at it," says the other.

They high five, steal her cash, and drag her away.

[Geode Town ==> Aluminum Route]

"So, where are you going?" Sky asks as they both walk toward Aluminum Route.

"Well, there's only one pathway leading out of this town," Fortuna points out. "Unless you feel like diving into the ocean back there and swimming to the other side."

"Oh yeah, that's Tellurium Route. Sometimes people come from there surfing on their pokemon," Sky reports as he laces his fingers together behind his head.

Fortuna rolls her eyes. "Well, since I don't have any pokemon who know surf, mew mew mew mew mew mew mew mew mew, I guess I'll just have to walk along Aluminum Route, then." <and people will freak out if I start flying> She continues walking while her Trapinch waddles along behind her.

"How come you aren't putting any of your pokemon in pokeballs."

"I don't like pokeballs."

"But-"

"I don't like pokeballs."

"Geeze... fine..."

And on that note?

Two brand new pokemon trainers take their first step out into the wild world of pokemon!

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Ogre in the Playground

Granite City

Jace and Zebes exchange a look.
    [I bet she totally LOVED that.] snarks the dragon, starting to sound like his real self.

Jace turns back to the Professor. Yes, please call her right now. Heck, if it's really her I or Zebes could take the call. If she doesn't pick up just call a bunch of times; eventually she'll get frustrated and pick up. Or just text I guess. Do pokegears do text messages? he sends.

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Silicon Route

Kellia puts on the scarf and helps Kellform put on the hat. "<Okay, I got a look at her map, so I know where the nearest city is. We head there, get somewhere with public computer access, and then check social media sites for our friends. Right?>" Kellia looks around. "<Uhoh... I don't know which way north is.>"

"<It's that way,>" Kellform points. "<I have some kind of weathersense now that tells me. It should also keep us from getting lost, I think?>"

"<Let's get trucking!>"