New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default History vs Politics

Hello, I was just wondering about the ban on discussing politics. I understand that it is about keeping things civil because of how nasty those fights can get. But I was just wondering how far back things would have to go to become history as opposed to politics. I know that FDR is counted as politics. Would discussion of Abraham Lincoln be far enough back? George Washington? Earlier?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: History vs Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    Hello, I was just wondering about the ban on discussing politics. I understand that it is about keeping things civil because of how nasty those fights can get. But I was just wondering how far back things would have to go to become history as opposed to politics. I know that FDR is counted as politics. Would discussion of Abraham Lincoln be far enough back? George Washington? Earlier?
    As I understand it, all politics from the real world are banned, regardless of time period, in the same way that all religions are banned, regardless of how ancient (e.g. you can discuss Thor the OotS character, but not the actual nordic divinity that inspired him).

As always, the rule of thumb is to be cautious about such topics.

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #3
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: History vs Politics

Sheriff: There is no time limitation. The distinction is real world vs. not real world. If it involves the real world and politics please leave it out of the Playground. If you wonder how broadly to interpret "politics," give it a very broad interpretation, and err on the side of caution in what you post.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex