New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default NPCs for a Battle Against an Adventurer's Guild

So, my party will be arriving in a classic City of Adventure in a session or two. This city is full to the gills with trigger happy adventuring parties and guilds (a la Fairy Tail), so the party (and their overwhelming excess of hot-bloodedness) getting into a fight is pretty much an inevitability. Rather than just have them fight another team of four people around their level, I'd like to do something different that might challenge them a bit more.

I want to have them fight a whole adventuring guild, ~8 people, at one time in a big slug-fest. The only problem is that I'm having a bit of difficulty coming up with ideas for this adventuring guild; namely, the 8 or so members.

So I'm turning to the Playground. If anyone has ideas for a character (5th level-ish) or characters, please submit them. I'm looking for personalities, appearances, class + race combos, and all that. I can do the bulk of the mechanics myself - I would just like some help with inspiration.

Thanks in advance to anybody willing to give me a hand. You guy's are the best!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: NPCs for a Battle Against an Adventurer's Guild

Well heres a few character ideas ive had recently. Gold Dwarf Fighter 2/Spirit Shaman 3. Shield Specialization and Shield Ward with Wild cohort (Cougar). Hes a Clan Shaman who is pretty much a walking mountain as he has a Hide Shield and Adamatium Full Plate. He listens to the spirits of his ancestors for advice.

Another Character i made i called the Dread Executioner, it went Lion totem barbarian/Fighter/Dread Commando/Avenging Executioner (i know a bit higher level than requested but he is cool). He Pounces with an Axe and Shield (as he has Agile Shield Fighter) and smacks the tar out of his target. Hes got a wicked scar over one of his eyes and he has one hell of a scar on his ribs that never quite healed right. Hes also very angry and wants revenge on a lord that betrayed him and his comrades.

Lizardfolk Fangshield Ranger who fights with his Natural Attacks. He is a monster that kills other monsters (mentality wise think your average Claymore from Claymore). Hes big beefy and quite frightening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

I would look at E6 builds to kinda get the idea of effective characters at lower levels. I would usually have any encounter in a city be a run in with either a hunter's, thief, and mercenary guild with the mercenaries being the most diverse. I usually chose these guilds because of the rowdiness of the members and their line of work. Otherwise heres a good balance:

2 Rangers
    2 Melee
    1 Cleric
    1 God wizard
    1 Stealth guy
    1 Bard

or if you want to make it more fair just 2 melee 4 range 2 casters of any kind would work.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Well heres a few character ideas ive had recently. Gold Dwarf Fighter 2/Spirit Shaman 3. Shield Specialization and Shield Ward with Wild cohort (Cougar). Hes a Clan Shaman who is pretty much a walking mountain as he has a Hide Shield and Adamatium Full Plate. He listens to the spirits of his ancestors for advice.

Another Character i made i called the Dread Executioner, it went Lion totem barbarian/Fighter/Dread Commando/Avenging Executioner (i know a bit higher level than requested but he is cool). He Pounces with an Axe and Shield (as he has Agile Shield Fighter) and smacks the tar out of his target. Hes got a wicked scar over one of his eyes and he has one hell of a scar on his ribs that never quite healed right. Hes also very angry and wants revenge on a lord that betrayed him and his comrades.

Lizardfolk Fangshield Ranger who fights with his Natural Attacks. He is a monster that kills other monsters (mentality wise think your average Claymore from Claymore). Hes big beefy and quite frightening.
    I like the Shaman and the Lizardfolk... I'm not all that great with natural attack builds, so I'll have to look up some handbooks. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Regissoma View Post
    I would look at E6 builds to kinda get the idea of effective characters at lower levels. I would usually have any encounter in a city be a run in with either a hunter's, thief, and mercenary guild with the mercenaries being the most diverse. I usually chose these guilds because of the rowdiness of the members and their line of work. Otherwise heres a good balance:

2 Rangers
    2 Melee
    1 Cleric
    1 God wizard
    1 Stealth guy
    1 Bard

or if you want to make it more fair just 2 melee 4 range 2 casters of any kind would work.
    OH! I hadn't considered using e6 builds as inspiration. That's a genius idea!

So, 2 primary melee, 2 primary ranged, one divine support, one BFC, one skirmisher, and one arcane support? That seems like a solid team. Thanks, man.