New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default So What IS It With Monks, UMD, and Wands?

I've heard talk about it, but I just can't seem to find anything. Do you flurry with wand activations or something? Or do you punch things with the wands?

Also, Happy Monk Day, everyone.
    I am a Curio Munchkin. No ordinary Chargebarians or Dragonwrought Kobolds for me. It's gotta be a specially bred Thri-kreen supersoldier that escaped the torturous experiments with nothing but luck and two awesome templates!
    Homebrew Projects

Why GiantIP is not babyproof

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: So What IS It With Monks, UMD, and Wands?

Generally, when wands, especially partially charged wands, are discussed in reference to monks, it is a reference to Sir Giacomo's monk handbook, and it is usually being referred to in order to be derisive towards whatever idea is being put forth. Usually, this is because the optimization idea being proposed doesn't make use of any of the abilities of the class, and instead is using only resources that any commoner could make use of.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    Usually, this is because the optimization idea being proposed doesn't make use of any of the abilities of the class, and instead is using only resources that any commoner could make use of.
    To be fair, a Commoner has only 2 + INT mod skill points/level, and a Monk has 4 + INT mod. So there's at least a smidgen of value in the idea because of those extra skill points. (And, of course, taking Apprentice (spellcaster) will make UMD a class skill for anybody.) But yeah, apart from that smidgen of rationale, it's not synergistic with class features.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Let me put it this way...you spend your WBL pretending to be a wizard. Semi-reliably, depending on your level. And at much greater cost.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

UMD is probably the best thing about being a monk, and other classes still do it better.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    Generally, when wands, especially partially charged wands, are discussed in reference to monks, it is a reference to Sir Giacomo's monk handbook, and it is usually being referred to in order to be derisive towards whatever idea is being put forth. Usually, this is because the optimization idea being proposed doesn't make use of any of the abilities of the class, and instead is using only resources that any commoner could make use of.
    Rarely there is a set of ACFs that gives the monk skill focus UMD, +1/2 level to UMD, and something else