New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Great Race Optimization Challenge Number I

What is the Great Race?
    The Great Race is an optimization challenge based around reaching the highest distance available.

What are the sources available?
    Any, as long as you write them down for ease of access.

Anything that is prohibited?
    Monster Races. Other than that, no.

Wealth?
    Fluid Wealth.

What does a build need to qualify?
    -Level 30 build, statted out.
    -Description of the Speed Nova.

Speed Nova:
    You have one turn to prepare, and one turn to teleport to the other side of the world.

Deadline for submissions :
    29th, June.

Let's roll, people.
    Last edited by GPuzzle; 2014-07-22 at 01:19 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Great Race Optimization Challenge Number I

Ooo, interesting. I hope this becomes a thing. Build may be expected, based on how silly I feel and how much time I have.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Teleport, or is any kind of movement mode fine, so long as you cover as much distance as possible?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Held View Post
    Teleport, or is any kind of movement mode fine, so long as you cover as much distance as possible?
    Any movement mode as long as you cover as much distance available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Ok...

Ranger / Warlord MC / Horizon Walker / Warmaster. The HW gives you an additional action point whenever you spend an AP on a move action, and the Warmaster lets you use any amount of action points per encounter. The result is that you can take infinite move actions. Unfortunately this was errata'ed.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Got errata'ed away.
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

7. - Top - End - #7

I thought this was about building the most optimised character of a particular race.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The level 30 ability of Cosmic Soul gives all of your ranged/area abilities a range of "sight." So you just need a power that lets you move/teleport next to a target, and then figure out how to see things that are really, really far away, possibly by scrying on them.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quite silly, and it involves two characters, but:

-Be a ranger. Maximize your attack bonus.
    -Take that one ranger power that lets you hit anything within line of sight.
    -Tie a pixie to your arrow.
    -Fire at the sun.
    -You just covered over 8 light minutes within 6 seconds. Therefore, the pixie travels back through time and actually arrives before he left. That's got to be quick enough.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post

-Fire at the sun.
    -You just covered over 8 light minutes within 6 seconds. Therefore, the pixie travels back through time and actually arrives before he left. That's got to be quick enough.
    Piker. Do it at night. Aim at a distant galaxy.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

That was not expected but that was really freaking ingenious. You guys have invented time travel in 4e, which involves pixies tied to arrows and being awake at night. It's so simple it's beautiful.
    Last edited by GPuzzle; 2014-07-22 at 06:09 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laserlight View Post
    Piker. Do it at night. Aim at a distant galaxy.
    Eh, someone on the 4e charop boards once posted a level 30 build to destroy the world. It consisted of Cosmic Soul's level 30 feature (ranged powers are now line of sight), Space Vortex (l23 Psion attack- teleports target within 5 squares of you), and Cosmic Soul's L26 Utility (Merge with the Cosmos- leave the board and can be sustained) to not die in it. That is, assuming that at least some stars are creatures of the Far Realm which can be teleported straight towards you :)

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post

-Fire at the sun.
    How far is the sun from the earth in D&D 4E cosmology? I'm guessing not 93m miles (≈ 98bn squares, incidentally).

Your other problem is that your pixie is travelling in the opposite direction to its goal (assuming a spherical earth). You were meant to go to the other side of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by masteraleph View Post
    Eh, someone on the 4e charop boards once posted a level 30 build to destroy the world. It consisted of Cosmic Soul's level 30 feature (ranged powers are now line of sight), Space Vortex (l23 Psion attack- teleports target within 5 squares of you), and Cosmic Soul's L26 Utility (Merge with the Cosmos- leave the board and can be sustained) to not die in it. That is, assuming that at least some stars are creatures of the Far Realm which can be teleported straight towards you :)
    OK, so we now have a 4E Star (which is nothing like a real star) in close proximity to the 4E earth. What does this mean in game terms, and why does it destroy the world?

If it does destroy everything nearby, you need some way to reappear a long way away from your original space, or you are as good as dead. Unless you get XP from all the creatures the Star destroys and instantly level up to God .
    Last edited by Echobeats; 2014-07-28 at 04:41 PM.
    Spoiler: Games I am in
    Show
    The Search for the Sky (D&D 4E) • Dvergula IC OOC
    Zeison Sha avatar by linklele

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

That one is interesting. Very interesting, actually.