New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Dark Souls III: Witty Title Pending

Quote Originally Posted by SKarious View Post
    Huzzah! Just managed to kill Sinh and obtain the crown. On NG+, no less. Cost me a total of about 15 Human Effigies and 700 lightning arrows/bolts, but the great ugly beast finally fell.
    Now I think I'm ready for the new expansion, although I still have to defeat the trio. I'm not used to PvP, so this battle is nearly impossible for me to solo, and I can't find any summons near the boss door.
    Most of the summons I found were actually by the entrance where the NPC summons are. May be helpful to try there.

That said, the pair of summons I got that finally allowed me to beat those guys were outside the boss door, so...

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

I started playing the new DLC last night, and while I haven't been too far into it as of yet (stupid work/life commitments) I have to say I like the feel of this one a lot better than the last one, and even a bit more than the main game. The layout and style of progression reminds me a lot of Demon's Souls so far, specifically the Tower of Latria, and that's a good thing.

Haven't run into anything ridiculous or 'unfair' so far, and the enemies/traps/etc feel pretty balanced. I might start farming for the Ashen Warrior sword shortly, since I like the look of the moveset. The low durability has me a bit concerned, though.

All I ever wanted was to pick apart the day, put the pieces back together my way - Aesop Rock "Daylight"

My PAD Herder (it's mostly up-to-date... mostly)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

How is the DLC area accessed, and how high a level should you be to enter it? I'm considering buying it, and wondering which of my characters could get there.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

You can do it at SL150.

It's also definitely worth the money.

Also Monastery Scimitar got nerfed; no more instant parries. Good; frees up a slot on my build for a shield.

Precise numbers on the recent (and needed) backstab and riposte nerf: http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/c...critical_nerf/

Unfortunately the UGS weapons were given additional ticks of riposte damage in the process for some reason, so I'll be switching from Malformed Skull to Curved Dragon Greatsword for my swap in riposte instakiller. As an incidental bonus, this allows me to x-fer some more Str to Dex.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

You knowledge and ability to adapt with how quickly the meta shifts makes me wonder how many Soul Vessel's you go through to keep on top of it all with an optimized build.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

It's surprisingly not all that much; basically 1 SV whenever a major patch/calibration comes out that materially impacts a build. Most of my builds are also theorycrafted in a spreadsheet ahead of time before I commit to them in game, and are then usually tweaked a couple of times after playtesting.

I think Tokyo Dickdrift has only been tweaked once (outside of patches/calibrations) in order to accommodate power stanced Old Whips, because they really are worth using on an as needed basis.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    You can do it at SL150.

It's also definitely worth the money.
    Well, actually, my SL150 character got moved to NG+, and it seems that the entrance to the DLC area is located behind Rotten's lair. I just beat the Rotten with my currently ~SL90 character. Will he survive down there?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

SL150 is definitely enough to survive, but whether your character does depends on your build and your own abilities.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Well, actually, my SL150 character got moved to NG+, and it seems that the entrance to the DLC area is located behind Rotten's lair. I just beat the Rotten with my currently ~SL90 character. Will he survive down there?
    The first DLC I did starting at SL 85. I was even a bit lower than that when I first attempted it - I think I went in to begin with at SL 50-60 or so, but found that I was a bit under-leveled as the DLC went on. SL 85 was fine (if tough), but I didn't wind up beating the bosses at that level - that honor went to my much higher level Havelbro.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. Well, I can't really buy any DLC right now, anyway, but I guess I'll buy Crown of the Sunken King when I have the chance.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The new DLC seems to be similar to the last one in terms of preparedness level - it's just about possible at SL100-ish, but 150 makes things soooo much easier.

Just beat the first boss with my usual tactic - summon another player, realize that the boss is only and always focusing me, and run around screaming for the entire fight while they hack freely at the things back.

I actually had a Mirror Knight fight where I think I never even swung my hammer. Just sat there and tanked with Havel's Shield for the entire fight.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Hmm. Well, I can't really buy any DLC right now, anyway, but I guess I'll buy Crown of the Sunken King when I have the chance.
    I haven't even had time to finish the first. D:
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

13. - Top - End - #103

DwarfClericGuy

Well, I managed to clear the Sunken King DLC with a soul level of about 190 on NG+, and I'm not very good at this game, so it's definitely possible. Just make sure you pack a lot of lifegems and poison moss.
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

I haven't even had time to finish the first. D:
    But... that is the first DLC. :I

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Turns out you can get summoned into the DLC areas even if you do not have them yourself, which is surprising and nice. We went in bravely, fought some calcified fighters, but then died in the boss fight, which is actually against three human fighters. Now I'll try getting summoned into the other DLC.

16. - Top - End - #106

DwarfClericGuy

Any of you PvP masters here can give me some advice on dealing with Maldron the Assassin in the new DLC?
    My basic buid: lots of strength, Vitality, Endurance, with a bit of Pyromancy for support.
    Weapons: Mace, Halberd/Lucerne, Havel shield, warmth/toxic mist/ some kind of fireball.
    Don't be afraid to give even basic tips - I probably don't know them.
    Last edited by SKarious; 2014-09-01 at 01:53 PM.

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Any of you PvP masters here can give me some advice on dealing with Maldron the Assassin in the new DLC?
    My basic buid: lots of strength, Vitality, Endurance, with a bit of Pyromancy for support.
    Weapons: Mace, Halberd/Lucerne, Havel shield, warmth/toxic mist/ some kind of fireball.
    I cheated. I cleared the ash demon at the bottom on one life, then went back and after Maldron runs away I went down and took out the archer before leaping to the ledge in the middle. Then I shot Maldron to death with my crossbow.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

I tag teamed him with the phantom I was doing the DLC with. We both used large weapons (Smelter Hammer in my case) and kept pancaking him every time he got up.

Beyond that the same rule that applies to everything else in the DLC, and Dark Souls in general, applies; Don't get greedy. If you overextend yourself he can really punish you with that charge attack of his.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

He's a dumb NPC; go for backstabs (like PCs, he's very punishable when he misses with a lance charge)/ripostes or spam ranged attacks when he runs.

Loving Fire Snake; not sure if I like it more than Forbidden Fun on my build, but it is _definitely_ one of the best Pyros in the game up there with Sun and Great Combustion. Comes out relatively fast and has a huge tracking hitbox while hitting for excellent damage. Especially good vs gank squads as it tends to score multihits when they come at you aggressively (which is most of the time).

Probably my biggest complaint is that it doesn't come with residual chip damage fire fields.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

I still don't have either DLC D:

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

I managed to beat Velstadt with only the Grave Warden's help in just two tries. Not bad, I suppose, especially since I decided to throw caution to the wind and wear armour for its looks - I'm wearing the Insolent Helmet, Creighton's Mail, Vengarl's Gauntlet and Drangleic Boots. I think this character is quite ready for the DLC if I decide to buy it.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

My bleed build:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...a0I5bVE#gid=19

http://gamehubbs.com/darksouls2/builds/21943

Really have a lot of fun with this one; feels like a fast, aggressive ninja, and plays like one; bleed someone out and keep up the pressure. I think it might stand to benefit from some tweaking, but thus far, I'm really happy with it; typically procs bleed in 2-3 hits, which happens extremely quickly via dual bandit daggers/notched whips that it can swing for days while still having plenty of stamina to roll and backstep.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't there a reaper weapon with such a strong bleed that it will bleed on 1 hit?
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

You're probably thinking about the Full Moon Sickle; though it does feature the most bleed of any weapon in the game with the bleed infusion, it's only slightly more than the Notched Whip, and I can't see it bleeding instantly even with Crest of Blood and Shadow Gauntlets unless your target basically has no resist.

Beyond that, like most Reapers, it's pretty unwieldy and slow, especially when contrasted with dual Bandit Knives backed by a Stone Ring that are preempting and hit stunning your opponent from full to zero. Notched Whip I pack because it has even more bleed than the daggers, is unparryable, and has superb range which combines amazingly with SR's added stopping power; a 45 poise damage weapon with more range than the Dragonslayer/Stone Spear; nuff said.

25. - Top - End - #115

DwarfClericGuy

Is bleed of any use in PvE? Are there any tough enemies or bosses vulnerable to it? I don't remember causing a single boss to bleeed.

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

I think a couple might be immune.

I know you can bleed out Vendrick; it only takes a couple of hits with the right weapons/gear. If you're really going to rock bleed, you need the Crest of Blood, Shadow Gauntlets, and a fast bleed weapon (Falchion, Notched Whip, or Bandit Daggers) that are either Raw or Bleed infused.

The calculation for Bleed btw, is as follows:

You need to accumulate 1000 points of Bleed before it triggers, so:

1000 / ( X * ( 1 - Y / 1000 ) )

Where:
    1. X is the sum of a weapon's bleed value and all Bleed bonuses (Bleed BNS, Shadow Gauntlets, etc)
    2. Y is the total bleed resistance of your opponent

Example:

Assumptions:
    1. Weapon is a +10 Bleed Bandit's Knife
    2. Shadow Gauntlets is assumed. (+60 to innate Bleed + Bleed infusion weapons, +50 to innate Bleed, +25 to infused Bleed)
    3. Crest of Blood is assumed. (+60 to innate Bleed and Bleed infusion weapons, +50 to innate Bleed, +25 to infused Bleed)
    4. Bleed BNS is 135
    5. Enemy bleed resistance is 250 (it will usually be somewhere between 200-300; builds with *extreme* bleed resist will be around 350-400, but they're outliers).

1000/((143+135+60+60)*(1-250/1000)) = ~3.35 (4) or 4 hits until you inflict Bleed.

Notched Whips with the same assumptions:

1000/((200+135+50+50)*(1-250/1000)) = 3.037 (4) or 4 hits until you inflict Bleed.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Does bleed just do a chunk of damage to bosses?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Pretty sure bleed procs deal a flat 200 damage not adjusted by anything else in PvE.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Meh.

You know what would be cool? If enemies had stamina bars. That way, even if it does little damage, it would force a boss to slow down or something.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Meh.

You know what would be cool? If enemies had stamina bars. That way, even if it does little damage, it would force a boss to slow down or something.
    And make the game easier? Blasphemy! I say this knowing full well that they added those non-estus healing gems which made healing so much easier. There wasn't quite as bad as an early game healing deprivation as there was with DS I.