New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Aegis Tristalt In-Character

"Are they known to have much access to flight and the ability to see in darkness? Perhaps Nate and I could make a nighttime aerial raid with oil flasks to burn up the foliage and whatever else is in the way. I'd assume with a name like that, the plants are dry enough to start a wildfire. I only have 10 flasks though, so feel free to contribute more, if you think this is a good idea." He turns to Nate. "So, how about it Nate? I can carry you if you don't want to risk Pazuzu."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

"When we get to that point, I'll fly over the valley and try to spot potential ambushers. After hearing about their leader, Wraith will unconsciously check his blades, slightly twisting them in the sheathes. A chance to take down a major bandit group and fight against a famed warrior? An almost childlike grin spread across his face. Fighting skeletons was all well and good, but the chance to pit skill against skill with a deadly swordsman? Nothing compared.

Spoiler: Loot
    Show

Aegis, how much did Wraith receive for the Glaive and Lance?
    Imagination is mankind's greatest gift and darkest curse.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: Loot
    Show
    I believe it's 4,809gp for both at 50% market price.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2014-08-31 at 12:46 PM.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Turning to Sahael, Wraith shakes his head. "Starting a wildfire just to expose them seems like it could too easily backfire, especially with unpredictable opponents. One magic gust of wind and that fire could be whirled straight back into the caravans. Fliers would be better off just scouting the areas and picking targets. If the four of us manage to take down their leaders and casters, it shouldn't be too hard to convince the rest to give up.
    Last edited by Flinn_Furious; 2014-08-31 at 11:52 PM.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The caravan advances steadily and uneventfully over the course of a few days. Amet, true to his word, pays you daily; 5gp per day each. Several families traveling for one reason or another accompany the caravan. Armored wagons are each pulled by a domesticated Triceratops, often referred to as a Three-Horn. Several of these are kept in reserve in the event one becomes tuckered out to prevent frequent stops. It seems a woman with Aasimar blood tends to the animals and keeps them in check.

On the Fourth day of the journey Amet lets you know that the Dusty Trail valley is up ahead, about a mile or so, in the case your intention is still to scout it out.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Hooking onto Pazuzu's back, Wraith will fly into the air and begin scouting the area.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

If Sahael accompanies him, Wraith will direct that they both take either side of the valley. He'll fly a 105 ft above, out of reach of most arrows.
    Spot check (1d20+11)[28]
    If an arrow (or similar ranged attack) is launched towards him, Wraith will cast Protection From Arrows on Pazuzu and spend four rounds (24 seconds) trying to spot obvious leaders, clerics, or casters.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Sahael tags along, flying 105 ft above.
    Spot (1d20+13)[21]
    Listen (1d20+11)[27]
    Sahael will stay for the same duration as Nate, also trying to spot leaders, casters, and clerics.
    If hostilities begin, Sahael will manifest Alienation on a caster, once per round, for up to 4 rounds. If he can't identify a caster, then he will target a leader, or a cleric, in that order.
    DC 21 Will Save, 7 round duration.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    LET THE CHAOS BEGIN! *maniacal laughter*

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

As the two of your soar above the Dusty Trail valley, you peer keenly into the shrubbery. There appear to be no foes lying in wait.

Your impressive perceptive ability picks up a rabbit as it passes quickly through the brush, seeking refuge from the strange flying creatures.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

"Return at once! They sacrificed the high ground to strike while we were scouting! Use a Sending!"

Sahael uses the run action to return to the caravan at 160 ft per round.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

"What do you mean? If they were attacking, surely we would have seen them while we approached?" Nonetheless, Wraith will return to the caravan at speed.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

You return to the Caravan, which peacefully awaits your approach. Amet waves at you seeing you return, still high in the air.

"Welcome back. What did you see?"

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm not sure what to make of it, but as far as we can tell, they were not hiding in the foliage. I honestly feared that they had anticipated scouting and were waiting to strike while we were split up. Seeing that is not the case, there are a number of possible conclusions. They didn't think us brave or foolish enough to go through such an obvious trap, and instead lurk on the other path that goes around it. They were all invisible, which would require far more magic than one would expect them to have. The valley terrain is so unfit for travel, and/or trapped, that they can afford to let us sit in there for quite some time before they arrive, without risking our escape. Or if the fates are particularly capricious, they have been waylaid, or gods forbid, assimilated, by some even greater threat that we may encounter as well." He turns up towards the heavens for a moment, and in a tone that is half-jest and half-genuine annoyance, proclaims. "I swear, if they're all zombies now, I will be most displeased."

He points to the Illumian with the scroll case. "You, with the maps. We need to spend some time going over every detail of this area and how these people operate. Maybe one of the renowned battles of the past may give some inspiration as to their next move."

Knowledge (History) (1d20+21)[38] to recall relevant successful military maneuvers and tactics.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Kasha

Kasha takes the precaution of casting Conviction, Mass on those of the group who wish it.

Spoiler
    Show
    +3 morale bonus to saves for 70 minutes.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Me?" she responds to Sahael in some astonishment. Before coming over and carefully drawing a map from her scroll-case.

The area past the valley seems to open up into a stretch of plain before reaching Comerica. There is a reference note which she tells you indicates the area was once forested, but was largely cleared out for timber for the city.

Spoiler: Kn:History
    Show
    You seem to recall a legend of a renowned, or in some circles, notorious duelist who would often make be quite late for his duels. Making his opponents wait to set them on edge. Perhaps they are taking this same approach and waiting until after the caravan passes through the most dangerous area, so when they can attack once it seems the caravan is safe and guards are lowered.

Or perhaps something else has required their attention, and they either do not presently have sufficient manpower or some other factor is at work. Not every group has the misfortune of encountering the Reaving Revenants while on this road.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2014-09-03 at 01:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Wraith looks down at the maps. "The plains should afford some transparency, but that will only work against us if they have a heavy numbers advantage. It seems their primary tactics rely on controlling the battlefield with magic, so it's imperative that we strike first and remove the heavy threats they can act. When we travel, we should spread out with eight total patrols circling the caravan for a total distance of 400 feet. Two patrols walk on either side of the caravan in front and two in back, each one 400 diagonal feet from the caravan. The other four sentries should act in unison with the first four, but within 200 diagonal feet from the both the caravan and their patrol partner. They can stay in eyeline of each other, as well as the caravan."

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm afraid I don't see what that would accomplish, other than making it easier for them to pick us off."

"Something has just occurred to me, it'll take but a moment." He manifests Detect Hostile Intent and proceeds to scan and scrutinize everyone in the caravan, particularly the guests that have joined along the way.

Spoiler: Lots of Sense Motive checks
    Show
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]
    [roll6]
    [roll7]
    [roll8]
    [roll9]

Assuming everyone checks out, he continues with the following dialogue.

"Fortunately, there do not seem to be any spies among us. Now, it seems these bandits may plan to engage us in this plain on the other side of the valley, after we've let our guard down. I recommend we not give them the luxury of fighting on their terms, but make the battlefield our own. Can anyone produce an illusion of the caravan being nearly slaughtered by some great beast, with just a wounded survivor or two managing to fell the creature? I can create illusory sounds to complete the illusion and lure the Revenants in, if the first illusion is unable to make noise. I can place caltrops to prevent them from going beyond the fake caravan, and someone else can use magic to obstruct or obscure the way back out. Preferably we would obscure and then secretly obstruct, so that they waste effort retreating in fog or darkness which hides a wall. Nate hides where he can observe the incoming forces, relaying information back to us, and then strikes from behind when the trap is sprung. Trasil, I believe is suited to a frontal assault, so he can conceal himself inside the illusory caravan, while Kasha and I lurk on opposite sides of the valley. Together, we pin them in from all sides. When I begin Alienating their strongest members, reducing them to scared strangers who understand no tongue and recognize no face, the close quarters will work in our favor and fuel the confused slaughter. Does anyone wish to offer some additions or point out some oversights?"

Show
    How narrow is this valley? I keep picturing something at most 20-30 ft wide with cliffs on each side.

Also, I'm imagining Nate killing everyone in an area of Darkness, while they blindly run into Kasha's Wall of Salt, and it's hilarious.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Note to self: Rolls don't work in spoilers.
    (1d20+19)[35]
    (1d20+19)[21]
    (1d20+19)[36]
    (1d20+19)[39]
    (1d20+19)[20]
    (1d20+19)[25]
    (1d20+19)[39]
    (1d20+19)[36]
    (1d20+19)[20]
    (1d20+19)[30]

In the future, do you want me to just make one roll when I'm judging an indeterminate number of unnamed NPCs?

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

"That seems a reasonable plan. I know I'm ready to put my new armor to the test. In addition, I have some new spells I'd like to try."

Show

Rolls do work in spoilers, I think. Did you preview the post?
    (1d20)[8]
    Extended Signature

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Oh, yes. That would explain it.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Your Manifest Hostile Intent does not detect any hostiles within its reach.

Spoiler: OoC things
    Show
    On Flinn's plan, there may be too few armed guards for your plan, the caravan is only 5 wagons (with 4 spare Triceratops herded along) and there are only a total of 9 armed guards, including your group. Sorry if I wasn't clear on the size of the group previously.)

The valley is about 30ft wide, but the sides aren't sheer cliffs, they're simply fairly steep slopes up some hills (maybe 45 degrees-ish).

On making rolls for arbitrary numbers of NPCs, the way you did it is fine, or if you'd prefer to do just one, that's fine, but in the event you do just one, I'll probably just grab my IRL D20 and make a roll using the modifier you posted if there are more than one applicable targets.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Hmmmm. Wraith is quite for a few moments while he considers the plan. "It's not a bad plan, but it seems to hinge on the illusion. If they see through it, then they'll know something is up and book it before the trap closes. Trust me, when a job goes belly up, smart criminals always run and these guys don't seem like your run of the mill dumb bandits. We need something besides an illusion to draw them in." Wraith opens his haversack and pulls out a handful of gold. "Let's wait until nightfall. One of our number pretends to sneak out of the valley with a sack full of gold, conveniently ripping it open as he leaves. A few thousand gold coins should prove enough incentive to attack a singular traveler. If we're lucky it may even divide the bandits and we'll only have to fight whichever are dumb enough to come chasing in.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Kasha

"While in principle I think that the idea of a decoy may have merit, I would suggest that instead of waiting here until nightfall, we continue on - perhaps with one of you or myself scouting from the air. If we stay and they don't show up overnight, we've only given them more time to either find us or position themselves ahead of us, and we've lost time for our employers. If we continue ahead until we reach a more defensible position to camp for the night, we make the best of the possibility that they may simply be otherwise occupied without increasing the risk substantially more than sitting put would. Given that you didn't see them in what is apparently the best local spot for an ambush, if they are in fact already present they may well be invisible - in which case they would probably have heard all our plans simply be standing somewhere nearby and there is little to be done." Kasha gestures down the road, "So. I say we continue on, and if they haven't shown themselves by tonight, a decoy to draw them out if they are attempting to intercept us would be a fine strategy."

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

"Indeed, let us keep moving, but keep an eye out for any place where advantage might be found for one of our plans. Perhaps we should stop at the entrance to the valley so we can scout again."

Once we resume moving, Sahael takes his position flying 20 ft above the caravan, constantly surveying the surroundings for enemies and tactically useful positions.
    Spot (1d20+13)[18]
    Listen (1d20+11)[28]

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The Caravan proceeds smoothly to the end of the valley.

Spoiler: DM Only
    Show

Contained within is merely dice numbers so that should you choose, you may confirm that I went by the dice after the encounter is concluded.
    Spoiler: Seriously, you can look later
    Show

Spoiler: But not right now
    Show

Are the bandits preoccupied and not available to attack? On a 1, this is so.
    (1d4)[1]

Bandits collective hide/move silently check plus circumstance modifiers for distance (+6) and camouflaged "fox-holes" (+6)(Hide), and well-trained/practiced/patient (+2) (Move Silently) - max ranks for average level, plus small average dexterity bonus (+9, +1 respectively).
    (1d20+22)[36] Hide
    (1d20+17)[20] Move Silently

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Kasha

Kasha proceeds on foot, one hand resting on the hilt of her Scimitar. She carefully scans the valley to either side of the caravan.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot: (1d20+5)[17]

26. - Top - End - #326
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Wraith walks in the middle of the caravan with both sword and dagger drawn.

Spoiler: Spot Check
    Show

(1d20+11)[29]

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The plains seem calm. Some wildlife scurries away from the caravan.

You see no sign of bandits.

The Caravan continues onward until nightfall and breaks for camp.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Kasha

"Well, that was blessedly anticlimactic." She glances around the camp, "I have no need for sleep, I can help guard, and if anyone else would like to take watches as well. After all that, the lack of attack is making me nervous."

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

"I need only 2 hours of sleep, so I will watch until late morning. I believe that if the Revenants are going to attack, no amount of vigilance will dissuade them. The best we can manage is to play along with their plan, and make them think we've dropped our guard so they recklessly strike when we are most prepared. I can easily make someone's intentions much harder to discern, for quite a long time, so those who keep watch can pretend to sleep. Among us four, telepathic warnings will suffice to awaken the sleeping while maintaining the element of surprise. If you are awakened, do not spring into sudden action, but conceal it and make what secret preparations you can. Uncanny foreknowledge and coordination is the greatest gift of the collective. As a psion, my powers can be more easily concealed, so I may take subtle action against the Revenants while they still believe we sleep. If anyone wishes to feign sleep, ask me for help. I would recommend at least one person, not among us four, not feign sleep, so that the ruse is not completely obvious."

Sahael manifests Conceal Thoughts on any who ask, as well as himself. 7 hour duration, +10 Bluff. Takes 10 on Concentration to manifest without displays.

Once everyone is done talking and planning, Sahael sits himself facing away from the camp, turns off his halo and removes the Ioun Stone, and wraps his wings around himself like a blanket, concealing his hands and jaws. He manifests Detect Hostile Intent every 70 minutes (while this power is active you cannot be surprised or caught flat-footed by creatures that are susceptible to mind-affecting powers). Takes 10 on Concentration to manifest without displays.

Bluff (1d20+18)[19] to appear asleep.
    Continuously Takes 20 on Spot [33] and Listen [31]
    Spellcraft (1d20+14)[30] in case Clairsentient Talent picks up an aura intruding on his personal space.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The caravan quiets down and people drift to sleep, counting on your vigilance should the caravan be accosted in the dead of night. Cooking fires slowly smoulder into ash and the stars shine brilliantly in the night sky.

Spoiler: Sahael Only
    Show
    As the caravan becomes quiet, you manage to hear snoring or something like it. It does not seem to be coming from the caravan, but from the plains. You can't be totally sure, as the noise is rather muffled, but you're pretty sure it's not crickets. However, your detect hostile intent is not being pinged.