New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Default low level half-snake race?

I want something that is specifically top half human, bottom half snake, no legs. Kinda like a merfolk, but for snakes instead of fish.

Looking for something low level without any weird powers.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us how you started: I started with the entire party getting teleported in from the real world butt naked.

Lokiron: "Yes, and killing hurricanes is always a good act, because they are evil."

DEGENERATION 91: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: low level half-snake race?

Not sure what or why exactly your looking for, but the Yuan-Ti Malison can fit what your looking for (I think).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flamewolf393 View Post
    I want something that is specifically top half human, bottom half snake, no legs. Kinda like a merfolk, but for snakes instead of fish.

Looking for something low level without any weird powers.
    What you describe is a naga, but im pretty sure most nagas in 3.5 have a rather large LA
    Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousPepper View Post
    Easy. Be a Planar Shepherd.
    I, too, destroy beehives with nuclear weapons.
    Proponent of Rudisplorkery in the Rudisplorker Guild

Avatar by the ever so generous Grinner

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Hazrond View Post
    What you describe is a naga, but im pretty sure most nagas in 3.5 have a rather large LA
    Nagas are just a huge snake with a human-esque head. No upper body or arms.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us how you started: I started with the entire party getting teleported in from the real world butt naked.

Lokiron: "Yes, and killing hurricanes is always a good act, because they are evil."

DEGENERATION 91: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flamewolf393 View Post
    Nagas are just a huge snake with a human-esque head. No upper body or arms.
    Maybe the nagas you know, but the nagas i know are essentially human torso on a large snake body
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousPepper View Post
    Easy. Be a Planar Shepherd.
    I, too, destroy beehives with nuclear weapons.
    Proponent of Rudisplorkery in the Rudisplorker Guild

Avatar by the ever so generous Grinner

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Greensnake Naga. Oriental Adventures.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Ah interesting. I had never seen the ones from oriental adventures. That should work.

The core monster manual nagas of d&d are just what I described. No upperbody, just the head.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Note that it's a bit of a pain to work with Oriental Adventures content. First you apply the 3.0 Errata file for the book, then all of the revisions to bring it up to 3.5 from Dragon # 318, then the basic 3.0->3.5 conversions (renamed skills, feats, spells, & c.). Greensnake Naga has some noticeable differences when you get done, starting with a changed type.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

There's also anthropomorphic Constrictor snakes. The only issue really being that they have a +2 LA and 3 or 4 RHD.
    The RHD you may be able to get your DM to wave off and ignore (Just make sure you also take away the BAB, skill points, and saves if you do) which just leaves the +2 LA.
    For all the stats they get, and Constrict, it's pretty fair. They're some strong guys, and you can build one heck of a grapple-monkey out of them.

The Anthropomorphic template is in Savage Species.

(One day I made an anthropomorphic constrictor with the Winged and Insectoid templates. Rolled a monk. Was hilarious.)
    Fighting to your dieing breath is a benchmark, not a goal.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Extaminaar (Champions of Ruin, pg 11-14) might serve if you didn't mind them having legs... although it seems they could use one more feature to make them competitive.
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2014-07-31 at 01:47 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Spamalot in the Playground

Pathfinder Merfolk is LA 0 and has the "strongtail" alternate racial - this gives them a snakelike tail to move around on land, giving them a land speed of 15 and swim of 30. It's still more fish than snake but you could copy-paste that racial over to a more snakelike race like the Nagaji.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I designed these for pathfinder
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Note that it's a bit of a pain to work with Oriental Adventures content. First you apply the 3.0 Errata file for the book, then all of the revisions to bring it up to 3.5 from Dragon # 318, then the basic 3.0->3.5 conversions (renamed skills, feats, spells, & c.). Greensnake Naga has some noticeable differences when you get done, starting with a changed type.
    Curmudgeon, Dragon isn't assumed as canonical. After that, nothing in particular about the Greensnake naga is that different in 3.5. I guess Polymorph Self becomes Polymorph if you're a woman?
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-07-31 at 02:22 PM.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Curmudgeon, Dragon isn't assumed as canonical. After that, nothing in particular about the Greensnake naga is that different in 3.5. I guess Polymorph Self becomes Polymorph if you're a woman?
    Actually, I think the dragon mag update may have been the official one. At the very least, it fixed a ton of really broken stuff. The most important being the greensnake naga, which is probably the best use of LA in 3.0. Also that flat-cost weapon enhancement that gives 50% miss chance.

Curmudgeon says they change type, which would make sense since no nagas are humanoid in 3.5, but I don't know where that rule would be.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Serpent Kingdoms also has the Replacement Tail graft. Your legs get replaced with a snake's tail, and it can be applied to any race. It costs 12,000, so I'm not sure if it helps you or not (if you just want low-LA, it might be fine, but it wouldn't be available at low ECL for obvious reasons). GM might throw you a bone and let you take it as a level adjustment or somesuch, the effects aren't really anything spectacular. There's actually a downside, since it reduces your base land speed.

And you wouldn't be a 'real' half-snake, so the default fluff might be off-putting, too. Anyway, just throwing it on the options pile.
    Last edited by Cowardly Griffo; 2014-07-31 at 04:26 PM.
    I have been suddenly forced to move to a new home. Expect shaky contributions for the next week or two while I deal with this process. Thank you for your patience!

Why yes, stalwart stranger, I did miss the fact that there was a slightly-too-small character limit on user names before I activated my account.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, I think the dragon mag update may have been the official one.
    That's an oxymoron, isn't it?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

The local opinions (yes, opinions) on what constitutes 'canon' notwithstanding, I don't see why it would be. It's an official publication, it's more than allowed to contain official information.
    I have been suddenly forced to move to a new home. Expect shaky contributions for the next week or two while I deal with this process. Thank you for your patience!

Why yes, stalwart stranger, I did miss the fact that there was a slightly-too-small character limit on user names before I activated my account.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Presumably not, since most such Polymorph abilities switched to Alternate Form.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Curmudgeon, Dragon isn't assumed as canonical.
    Wizards of the Coast states otherwise. Every issue of Dragon had the official D&D logo on the front cover, and usually a tag like "100% OFFICIAL". Dragon # 318 is just as official as the Player's Handbook.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Forgive me if you've forgotten, but Dragon isn't assumed to be used when giving advice. The "100% official" if you consider availability, the publisher, and how often the books are banned for a relative lack of balance. These materials are (erroneously) referred to as "second party" for a reason. Ergo, using them as a basis for anything without the OP specifying otherwise is not always prudent, regardless of what WotC claims.

As for polymorph, the point stands. It's already alternate form. We have a functioning alternative either way, so why bother?
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-07-31 at 08:55 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Forgive me if you've forgotten, but Dragon isn't assumed to be used when giving advice. The "100% official" if you consider availability, the publisher, and how often the books are banned for a relative lack of balance. These materials are (erroneously) referred to as "second party" for a reason. Ergo, using them as a basis for anything without the OP specifying otherwise is not always prudent, regardless of what WotC claims.

As for polymorph, the point stands. It's already alternate form. We have a functioning alternative either way, so why bother?
    It isn't already alternate form, unless you've got an update for it. You can do it by yourself or use the WotC version, but you're doing an update either way, and it's approximately the same amount of work.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)