Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY IV: I Love These Guys

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Yeah, and it was just as bad.
    Spoiler: V2E2
    Show
    The spiral fingerprint thing and the waterfall of tears don't fit the art style of RWBY at all, is part of what I meant there.
    Yeah, we all get that you don't like it. That doesn't make it not fitting for show though, which was your claim.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    Yeah, we all get that you don't like it. That doesn't make it not fitting for show though, which was your claim.
    Show
    I'm not saying it doesn't fit because I don't like it. Other way around. But okay, you think it fits and that's fine.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    I'm not saying it doesn't fit because I don't like it. Other way around. But okay, you think it fits and that's fine.
    Show
    You admitted it's been going on since the beginning, which makes it hard to say it doesn't fit the style of the series. The series was clearly created with that style in mind. Like Rawhide said, just because it's not the way you would write it doesn't mean it's wrong.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2014-08-01 at 11:40 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34

Spoiler
    Show
    You admitted it's been going on since the beginning, which makes it hard to say it doesn't fit the style of the series. The series was clearly created with that style in mind. Like Rawhide said, just because it's not the way you would write it doesn't mean it's wrong.
    Show
    The overly "trope for tropes sake" anime segments felt off as well, though. To me at least. It'd be like if, in The Walking Dead, characters randomly became chibi during comedy moments. Even if it happened since the beginning, it would still feel off for the show.

But again, that's just what I feel. The chibi Ruby in episode 2 was stupid to me, and to someone else it was good. People aren't always going to agree. I just feel it removes from the show's quality.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2014-08-01 at 11:10 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Yeah, and it was just as bad.
    Show
    The spiral fingerprint thing and the waterfall of tears don't fit the art style of RWBY at all, is part of what I meant there.
    Let's see, we've had Ruby speed eating cookies, Chibi Ruby, Weiss's speed talk, Nora's instant pancake eating, Weiss' internal monologue, Peter Port's blah blah, Nora's vanishing lines, Jaune forgetting how to parabola, and so on. I say it fits in perfectly.

Spoiler: V2E2 just in case since I mentioned a thing or two.
    Show

I'd disagree. I do not find it funny. And references are not inherently funny. Yang referencing Yugioh is not funny. I would argue that throwing in all these anime tropes "for the sake of humour" is the exact same as throwing it in for the sake of tropes. Because instead of actually writing a joke you're saying "and then an anime thing happened".
    It's funny because I say it is. Ok, let me explain that. I find it funny, many others find it funny, the people who wrote it found it funny. Humour is subjective, but these references are amusing some people, including myself. Not everyone will find them funny, as you clearly demonstrate, bit that doesn't mean that they aren't successful at being humorous.

I personally would prefer if it was less slapstick, more drama, but at the same time I still find them amusing and perfectly in tone with the series now that they have been established as a staple of the series. The first few times were jarring, now they are expected.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    It's funny because I say it is. Ok, let me explain that. I find it funny, many others find it funny, the people who wrote it found it funny. Humour is subjective, but these references are amusing some people, including myself. Not everyone will find them funny, as you clearly demonstrate, bit that doesn't mean that they aren't successful at being humorous.

I personally would prefer if it was less slapstick, more drama, but at the same time I still find them amusing and perfectly in tone with the series now that they have been established as a staple of the series. The first few times were jarring, now they are expected.
    Understandable.

I still think it's jarring.

Show
    I also still think that, weather someone finds it funny or not, there's still the thought that it would be funnier if it wasn't such a heavy handed, obvious reference to anime tropes. If they had made the board game just be Risk, but Remnant edition (which would be something fans could buy!) and cooled down the references a bit, it would of be a really good scene that shows us our heroes having fun like Ruby planned, and taught us a bit about the world. The way the scene is presented in the show makes it more about the funny anime references then what it should be about, showing our characters having fun and being people, and showing some more aspects of the world.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Mercury did it four times so does that mean we're only getting four seasons?
    No... That means Rawhide will possibly keep closing the same book over and over again.

And I think this is the first time I "catched the bus running", as some people say here in Brazil, or joined the thing midway. Either I'm one of the first or one of the last, generally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Understandable.

Show
    I also still think that, weather someone finds it funny or not, there's still the thought that it would be funnier if it wasn't such a heavy handed, obvious reference to anime tropes. If they had made the board game just be Risk, but Remnant edition (which would be something fans could buy!) and cooled down the references a bit, it would of be a really good scene that shows us our heroes having fun like Ruby planned, and taught us a bit about the world. The way the scene is presented in the show makes it more about the funny anime references then what it should be about, showing our characters having fun and being people, and showing some more aspects of the world.
    Show
    The thing is, if they had the board game just be Risk, the game would move too slow to give the character's much to react to. Throwing in the trap cards allows for the quick results in the game that prompt the character's reactions. Those reactions are the acutal intended source of humor IMO, rather than Yang simply saying "I play my trap card", which is merely the vehicle to get us to that point.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2014-08-01 at 11:40 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Spoiler
    Show
    The thing is, if they had the board game just be Risk, the game would move too slow to give the character's much to react to. Throwing in the trap cards allows for the quick results in the game that prompt the character's reactions. Those reactions are the acutal intended source of humor IMO, rather than Yang simply saying "I play my trap card", which is merely the vehicle to get us to that point.
    Show
    It's pretty clear they're not good at the game, so if they played Risk it'd go fast because they don't think over their moves (beyond Yang, that is). We could of gotten the jokes without the references and such.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    It's pretty clear they're not good at the game, so if they played Risk it'd go fast because they don't think over their moves (beyond Yang, that is). We could of gotten the jokes without the references and such.
    Show
    Risk is still a lot slower than that, simply from the mechanics of the game. For Ruby's plan to backfire in Risk, she would have had to overcommit her forces and have all of the attacks (of which there would be a significant amount) go really poorly for her, then Yang would have to respond to this weakness on her turn. Meanwhile in the game in the show, Yang played a trap card and it came down to one die roll. Same end result, but a lot quicker.

11. - Top - End - #41

Please label your spoilers with the volume/chapter number, even when it is a reply.

I just noticed that I forgot to include the red text reminding people of this from the last thread in the first post, oops.

Understandable.

Show
    You're still saying "should". So, I ask, by who's standard of how people "should" write? Normally I wouldn't be pedantic about language, but in this instance it's part and parcel of what we're discussing. You are saying that people should or shouldn't do something one way, while I'm saying that there aren't any such confines. Essentially, you're trying to lock the writers into formulas people have used in the past, the very thing you accuse RWBY of doing.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

12. - Top - End - #42

You're still saying "should". So, I ask, by who's standard of how people "should" write? Normally I wouldn't be pedantic about language, but in this instance it's part and parcel of what we're discussing. You are saying that people should or shouldn't do something one way, while I'm saying that there aren't any such confines. Essentially, you're trying to lock the writers into formulas people have used in the past, the very thing you accuse RWBY of doing.
    My apologies, because that's not what I'm trying to get across when I say what I say. What I do mean is that the show might be better if it did what I suggested. It might not be, who really knows. What I want from RWBY is for them to just write their story. Write it, and any tropes that are used are used not because of a choice to put that trope in there, but because that's something that naturally comes about of the story. I do not want the story to feel forced, and my recommendations for how it could change would, I feel, help that. They can do it the way they did if they want, but making it feel like it's natural, not forced, is something that (I'm using that word again) should be done.

Maybe I'm just bad at explaining my points.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Volume 2 episode 2.
    Show
    How am I the only one who noticed that Wiess was one step shy of doing the 80's conan movie "Drive my enemy's before me and hear the lamination's of their women!" line?!

Also, no, Wiess is legitimately concerned about them. However, she also recognizes that there not gonna be talked out of this, and that being there means she's got a chance to cover there backs if things go badly. And as for doing Hijinks, she's really awkward at it still, but she is making the effort. And that's a good thing.

To the person who claimed I was using Otaku incorrectly: Yangs making it a recurring thing to reference animes. Activated a Trap Card and the fact that her theme song (And Aside to LaZodiac: that ending credits song you liked? That's one of the 3 versions of Yangs Theme Song, "I Burn".) she refers to the fact that she's "Super Sayian Now!". And I'd wager there's more to come form her. Toward that end, What would you propose we call her since I don't think just saying "Yeah she's a Geek" really applies.

Rawhide: Wait, I didn't catch what Norra said when she woke up. What does she dream about?

And yes, to the several people complaining about the fact that the seventeen year olds are trying to have fun and have a sense of humor after the cops and fully graduated warriors told them "We've got this.", congratulations, the mere fact that the seventeen year olds are enjoying themselves and having fun and goofing around when not immediately in a life or death fight means that this series has hit a better level of realism then most rather pretentious series were the younger characters are there only to wangst about existentialist and nihilistic philosophy or more often Pseudo-Philosphy that the writers are shoving down the audiences throats while demanding they be treated as though they are oh so very realistic when in fact they wouldn't know realism if it put them in the hospital.

There human, it's good for humans to have this kind of release, PARTICULARLY if there gonna have to do things were there gonna be risking there lives later. It is healthy for them to have this kind of interaction. It is realistic that they would seek it out. So congrats, the show with the girl with a .50 caliber sniper rifle scythe and rose powered Speed Force Stunts has done something more realistic then a lot of media who rest there entire existence on being realistic. Congrats, you got you "This is how real people act".
    "I Burn!"

14. - Top - End - #44

My apologies, because that's not what I'm trying to get across when I say what I say. What I do mean is that the show might be better if it did what I suggested. It might not be, who really knows. What I want from RWBY is for them to just write their story. Write it, and any tropes that are used are used not because of a choice to put that trope in there, but because that's something that naturally comes about of the story. I do not want the story to feel forced, and my recommendations for how it could change would, I feel, help that. They can do it the way they did if they want, but making it feel like it's natural, not forced, is something that (I'm using that word again) should be done.

I agree. I think would enjoy it more if it wasn't so anime reference infused.

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Spoiler: Volume 2 episode 2.
    Show
    Rawhide: Wait, I didn't catch what Norra said when she woke up. What does she dream about?
    Spoiler: Volume 2, Chapter 2
    Show
    The word Nora says when she is woken up is: "Pancakes"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Volume 2 ep 2.
    Show
    Ah. I was kinda hoping it was either "The Audience" and thus furthering the theory that she's a 4th wall breaker, or "Ponies", because, well, Ponies.

But Pancakes fits in her case, and it's still funny.
    "I Burn!"

16. - Top - End - #46

Spoiler: Volume 2 ep 2.
    Show
    Ah. I was kinda hoping it was either "The Audience" and thus furthering the theory that she's a 4th wall breaker, or "Ponies", because, well, Ponies.

But Pancakes fits in her case, and it's still funny.
    Show
    Nah, the cute pony is Yang, Nora's a queen.

Chibi Ruby was jarring enough, I'd personally rather not have the fourth wall broken. Save that for the Deadpool movie that totally should get made.

17. - Top - End - #47

Show

Chibi Ruby was jarring enough, I'd personally rather not have the fourth wall broken. Save that for the Deadpool movie that totally should get made.
    Yeah now see that? That's funny. It's been confirmed to be being made if I recall too.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Spoiler: Volume 2 Chapter 2
    Show
    They can't both like Ponies? Ponies are awesome in that lot's of people can like them even if they like different things. Besides, there are some similarity's between Yang and Norra.

And as for the 4th wall break, that's part of WHY I want Norra doing it. So I can officially lump her in with Deadpool, Pinkie Pie and Freakazoid! XD!

Edit: It was test footage, they were wanting to do it but the problem is the people making it want it R-rated cause it's freaking Deadpool and the studios want it PG-13 cause there bean counters say that's the demographic/rating that is most profitable and they want to market it too 13 year olds and to 12 and under with parents along.
    Last edited by Metahuman1; 2014-08-01 at 12:06 PM.
    "I Burn!"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

For the most part RWBY doesn't include anime tropes so much as anime imagery.

If it was an actual anime, then the line "I start my year off with a Yang!" would immediately be followed by one of:
    • Yang is surrounded by some of that "blue-ish shadow and vertical lines" screentone, and everyone stares at her with blank expressions until she apologises.
    • Weiss or Blake punches Yang through a wall, and we see her flying through the air for a few seconds. We then transition to the next shot with a "pop" effect, where Yang is sitting at the table with bandaids on her head, and the hole in the wall has been boarded over.
    • Weiss or Blake punches Yang through a wall, turning her into a twinkle in the sky. Ruby screams "Yang! Yaaaaaang!" with tears in her eyes. A ghostly image of Yang with a peaceful smile appears in the sky, and we hear her thinking something like "I have no regrets" or "Ruby, please take care of my motorcycle". Move on to the next scene.
    • Glinda runs out of her office, into the room, and punches Yang through the wall. Glinda then blinks and says "Wait, what was I doing? Why am I even here?"

(accounting for Yang's personality and the tone of the show)

In anime when someone says something that dumb, you give them an over-the-top reaction. In RWBY people mostly just have over-the-top reactions to random things, and leave stuff like that alone.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2014-08-01 at 12:10 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    For the most part RWBY doesn't include anime tropes so much as anime imagery.

If it was an actual anime, then the "I start my year off with a Yang!" line would immediately be followed by one of:
    • Yang is surrounded by some of that "blue-ish shadow and vertical lines" screentone, and everyone stares at her with blank expressions until she apologises.
    • Weiss or Blake punches Yang through a wall, and we see her flying through the air for a few seconds. We then transition to the next shot with a "pop" effect, where Yang is sitting at the table with bandaids on her head, and the hole in the wall has been boarded over.
    • Weiss or Blake punches Yang through a wall, turning her into a twinkle in the sky. Ruby screams "Yang! Yaaaaaang!" with tears in her eyes. A ghostly image of Yang with a peaceful smile appears in the sky, and we hear her thinking something like "I have no regrets" or "Ruby, please take care of my motorcycle". Move on to the next scene.
    • Glinda runs out of her office, into the room, and punches Yang through the wall. Glinda then blinks and says "Wait, what was I doing? Why am I even here?"

In anime when someone says something that dumb, you give them an over-the-top reaction. In RWBY people mostly just have over-the-top reactions to random things, and leave stuff like that alone.
    (Yes there are plenty of serious anime where those reactions would be inappropriate, but in those stories the line "I start my year off with a Yang!" would also be inappropriate)
    The reaction to Yang's bad joke was an apple to the face that caused a food fight involving powers and attacks strong enough to smash walls and pillars. Over the top enough?

21. - Top - End - #51

Yeah now see that? That's funny. It's been confirmed to be being made if I recall too.
    Unfortunately not. It's in development hell, and likely won't get made. The budget they need exceeds the expected audience, due to its expected R rating.

Spoiler: Volume 2 Chapter 2
    Show
    They can't both like Ponies? Ponies are awesome in that lot's of people can like them even if they like different things. Besides, there are some similarity's between Yang and Norra.

And as for the 4th wall break, that's part of WHY I want Norra doing it. So I can officially lump her in with Deadpool, Pinkie Pie and Freakazoid! XD!
    Show
    They can, but I was trying to humorously point out that they don't define her, while sweet foods definitely do.

I see... Well, I personally would still prefer my RWBY to remain 4th wall hijinks free.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

The reaction to Yang's bad joke was an apple to the face that caused a food fight involving powers and attacks strong enough to smash walls and pillars. Over the top enough?
    No, because food was being thrown at Yang already, it might just have missed, and Nora isn't really the type to be offended by people acting silly. It has to be punishment so we can get some schadenfreude. The punishment itself was not in any way over the top.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2014-08-01 at 12:25 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

Unfortunately not. It's in development hell, and likely won't get made. The budget they need exceeds the expected audience, due to its expected R rating.

Show
    They can, but I was trying to humorously point out that they don't define her, while sweet foods definitely do.

I see... Well, I personally would still prefer my RWBY to remain 4th wall hijinks free.
    Awe, that makes me a sad.

Show
    Same here.

24. - Top - End - #54

LaZodiac: I think the major "issue" (if you can call it that) here is that your criticisms are wildly hyperbolic. When there's something that doesn't quite fit the mold of what you expect or want it to be, you rant about it as if it's the worst thing ever with exaggerated and definitive terms. This is why some people get the impression that you hate the series.

These notes can be funny to some people, but that's not the way you should* write to express a serious viewpoint.

*Teehee

25. - Top - End - #55

LaZodiac: I think the major "issue" (if you can call it that) here is that your criticisms are wildly hyperbolic. When there's something that doesn't quite fit the mold of what you expect or want it to be, you rant about it as if it's the worst thing ever with exaggerated and definitive terms. This is why some people get the impression that you hate the series.

These notes can be funny to some people, but that's not the way you should* write to express a serious viewpoint.

*Teehee
    Hehe, noted

I'll be a bit more constrained in the future. I just get caught up in the moment sometimes.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Don't you know that true fans are the ones who complain the most? The OP for the RWBY thread at 4chan has a line something like "You're allowed to love it, you're allowed to hate it, you're just not allowed to think it's good."
    (at least it did when I checked, which was a while ago)
    Last edited by Prime32; 2014-08-01 at 12:55 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

The visual gags can annoy me when they take me out of the scene for too little payoff. But they're not nearly as bad about it as the dialogue, because at least they're supposed to do that.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

I actually like the visual gags simply because they're so blatant. I generally detest that aspect of anime imagery however RWBY uses it pretty exclusively in comedy scenes and it's sheer heavy handedness makes it fell like a particularly self deprecating parody of the style rather than a direct use.

I realize that may not be everyone's cup of tea but I enjoy a bit of self awareness in my comedy. Just keep it well away from my drama and we'll be fine.
    I don't know everything merely everything of importance-Fidelias
    Avatar by the illustrious Lord Raziere

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoc View Post
    Just keep it well away from my drama and we'll be fine.
    Show
    Unfortunately that didn't happen this episode. I really liked the scene about Blake genuinely being concerned with the fact that "there is literally an army of terrorists running around in our city with tonnes of dust and we don't know what they're going to do and it could happen at any moment" and then they kinda shat all over it with Weiss and Ruby being all anime and stuff.

30. - Top - End - #60

Show
    Anyone else notice how closely Blake's speech matched the opening theme lyrics?

We can't just wait with lives at stake
    Until they think we're ready
    Our enemies are gathering
    The storm is growing deadly

Show
    Unfortunately that didn't happen this episode. I really liked the scene about Blake genuinely being concerned with the fact that "there is literally an army of terrorists running around in our city with tonnes of dust and we don't know what they're going to do and it could happen at any moment" and then they kinda shat all over it with Weiss and Ruby being all anime and stuff.
    Show
    Weiss is still over the top. This was less anime hijinks, and more Weiss trying to be a good team member but overdoing it.

Ruby is still very excitable. This is about on par for her when she gets wrapped up in the moment.