New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: RWBY IV: I Love These Guys

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Spoiler: v2e3
    Show
    As with Rawhide, my response is "Yes, and...?" The only reason we can even surmise that Penny's feat was unusual was because the bystanders reacted that way. That shouldn't be the only indicator.
    Spoiler: Volume 2, Chapter 3
    Show
    I disagree. Bystander reaction can be a very important part of film making. Watch the special features for Fight Club.

Spoiler: Fight Club spoilers.
    Show
    There is a particularly grotesque fight scene. They showed that scene to test audiences and got no reaction. They added bystanders being horrified, the test audiences were horrified by the fight. Nothing else changed.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #212
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Show
    I disagree. Bystander reaction can be a very important part of film making. Watch the special features for Fight Club.

Spoiler: Fight Club spoilers.
    Show
    There is a particularly grotesque fight scene. They showed that scene to test audiences and got no reaction. They added bystanders being horrified, the test audiences were horrified by the fight. Nothing else changed.
    Spoiler: I'm not sure what level this is
    Show
    I used the word "only". I didn't say bystander reaction wasn't important. Bystander reaction was presumably not the only way one could tell the fight scene was grotesque--it added an emotional layer to what was already there.

The reason I say things like "Yes, and...?" is because you keep doing this sort of thing--making arguments that don't address the point I am making, or that assume I meant something more than what I said. It gets old.
    Last edited by Math_Mage; 2014-08-07 at 11:46 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Volume 2 Ep 3
    Show
    Zodiac: I know it was meant as a joke, but it is kinda an important distinction for this purpose. Also, I like "Programming/mental issue" as an explanation far far more then I like "They spent all that time and energy and money to make a prototype less durable then freshmen hunter/huntress trainee's."

I mentioned the offensive power cause that indicates military, and for something like this in a world with powers at that level being a thing and the kinds of bigger Grim we've seen already, it would be a baseline "duh" kind of thing that something like Penny would need at least a comparable defense. At least when the part that got impacted directly was A: not connected to what allows her to talk, and B: a part you would assume would be taking a lot of the brunt of both offensive and defensive impacts.

Math: by your logic, most anime, fantasy and Sci-fi are horribly done because due to being in worlds that don't play by our rules, we need characters/background characters to inform us when something is out of place for that world. Touch broad of a position to be taking, don't you think?
    "I Burn!"

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm sorry, but I don't have a clue what point you're trying to make.
    He put in an addendum to that post, if you didn't realize.

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Show
    Math: by your logic, most anime, fantasy and Sci-fi are horribly done because due to being in worlds that don't play by our rules, we need characters/background characters to inform us when something is out of place for that world. Touch broad of a position to be taking, don't you think?
    Spoiler: Episode 2-3
    Show
    That's not really the point.

Aura and Dust as shown so far in RWBY have displayed an incredibly wide range of effects and have yet to display any quantifiable set of rules or limitations to their usage. There hasn't been anything along the lines of "You can't normally combine two different chakra elements" or "Dying Will Flames come in one of seven types." When one of those rules is broken ("Did he just combine Water and Wind to make Ice?" "There are Dying Will Flames of the Earth, too?"), it's immediately apparent both to the viewers and to the characters in the story. There's no baseline that's been established as ordinary for Dust and Aura. So as a consequence there's no reason to see why Penny's particular feats are abnormal within the context of the universe. She stopped a truck. Normal Aura users have done things that are arguably more impressive. So why such the big deal?

5. - Top - End - #215

Spoiler: I'm not sure what level this is
    Show
    I used the word "only". I didn't say bystander reaction wasn't important. Bystander reaction was presumably not the only way one could tell the fight scene was grotesque--it added an emotional layer to what was already there.

The reason I say things like "Yes, and...?" is because you keep doing this sort of thing--making arguments that don't address the point I am making, or that assume I meant something more than what I said. It gets old.
    Show
    I completely fail to see what Penny being able to stop the truck because she's a robot has to do with my joke about Yang "having a landing strategy", so I responded the only way possible. Penny was able to stop the truck because she was a robot. It answered what you said exactly. Your response about the "truck stopping strategy" is, as far as I can see, completely irrelevant to what I had said to LaZodiac.

Penny did something extraordinary to a normal human, even one as overpowered as hunters and huntresses. Yang didn't. Penny's "truck stopping strategy" was that she new she could, or should at least try.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

6. - Top - End - #216
    Banned

Show
    That extrapolation is entirely yours, Metahuman--just because you misinterpret my position in a way that broadens it does not make my position broad.

Show
    I completely fail to see what Penny being able to stop the truck because she's a robot has to do with my joke about Yang "having a landing strategy", so I responded the only way possible. Penny was able to stop the truck because she was a robot. It answered what you said exactly. Your response about the "truck stopping strategy" is, as far as I can see, completely irrelevant to what I had said to LaZodiac.

Penny did something extraordinary to a normal human, even one as overpowered as hunters and huntresses. Yang didn't. Penny's "truck stopping strategy" was that she new she could, or should at least try.
    Show
    Your post deflected LaZodiac's point with a (humorous?) proposed break in the analogy. I applied the equivalent to Penny to reestablish the analogy. It should have been clear from the rest of my post that I was talking seriously about the verisimilitude of the reaction to Penny's truck-stopping feat.

My basic point is that Penny's feat doesn't seem extraordinary to the viewer except for the reaction it caused in the bystanders, because there hasn't been any rationalization of Aura/Dust power limits for Penny's feat to defy.
    Last edited by Math_Mage; 2014-08-08 at 12:26 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Spoiler: Season 2, Episode 3
    Show
    Weiss.....huh....he was so clearly putting on a mask, and not in a comfortable way. for someone I first pegged as social rich girl, she seems bad at being social, or at least uncomfortable with applying the techniques of being social. she even practiced facial expressions before having the conversation and she was clearly not liking having to do it. a lot of Weiss seems to be a facade. she puts on a mask of leadership and superiority at first to strangers, she puts on a mask of bitterness and logic to people who know her, she puts on a mask of politeness when speaking to anything related to her family. who is the real Weiss here?
    Spoiler: S2E3, Re: Weiss
    Show
    Weiss herself probably doesn't know the answer to that question. See: "Mirror, Mirror" lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo View Post
    Spoiler: Rooby, come viz me if you vaant to live
    Show
    Tonight at 10, local crime hangout - a literal warzone, after a suspected rival gangster was insulted by never actually getting a little umbrella in her drink. Interview with a well-armed college kid at 10:30 - what did innocent bystanders think about the whole affair? In other news, club favourite, DJ Deadb3ar, cancels his upcoming concert due to a hiking accident with a shotgun.
    Spoiler: S2E3, Re: Splitting the Party
    Show
    ...You win the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    What, exactly, is RWBY's genre?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler: V2E3
    Show
    This isn't a good excuse, you realize.
    Spoiler: S2E3, Re: Clothing
    Show
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2014-08-08 at 12:33 AM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

8. - Top - End - #218

That extrapolation is entirely yours, Metahuman--just because you misinterpret my position in a way that broadens it does not make my position broad.
    There have been several instances of people not knowing what you meant at all or apparently misunderstanding you. If you continue to reply to these with a flat "that's wrong" or other flat response which does not further the understanding between people, rather than try to explain your position or ask questions, like the others have done, these discussions will continue to go nowhere.

Show
    Your post deflected LaZodiac's point with a (humorous?) proposed break in the analogy. I applied the equivalent to Penny to reestablish the analogy. It should have been clear from the rest of my post that I was talking seriously about the verisimilitude of the reaction to Penny's truck-stopping feat.

My basic point is that Penny's feat doesn't seem extraordinary to the viewer except for the reaction it caused in the bystanders, because there hasn't been any rationalization of Aura/Dust power limits for Penny's feat to defy.
    Show
    My reply to LaZodiac had absolutely nothing to do with that. Your reply was a non sequitur and irrelevant. You need to include more context and clarity if you wish to take the discussion down a different track.

My reply (made in jest) was entirely about how a human could have taken that fall, that a robot could stop a truck was not in question.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Volume 2 ep 3
    Show
    Ok, I will make this simple.

Watch the scenes were the REALLY, REALLY impressive stuff happens. What will you notice if you stop to look for it? That these scene's are all in a visual medium and thus have visual effects. Except for Penny.

That is what there noticing, and why they are confused about. The visual effects are different, but they are there. Except for her.

There. Simple.
    "I Burn!"

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show

Watch the scenes were the REALLY, REALLY impressive stuff happens. What will you notice if you stop to look for it? That these scene's are all in a visual medium and thus have visual effects. Except for Penny.

That is what there noticing, and why they are confused about. The visual effects are different, but they are there. Except for her.

There. Simple.
    Spoiler: Episode 2-3
    Show
    Not so simple, unless you think surviving being blasted upwards several stories through concrete, or being able to take blank-point gunshots to the face and live to tell the tale aren't considered "impressive." Are you limiting the "impressive" stuff to special attacks and such? Because then Penny's wouldn't qualify since all she did was stick her arm out.

If characters regularly glowed or something whenever they were exhibiting Aura--like they did with Jaune when he first unlocked his--then you might have a point about the absence of any special effects, but people have been doing feats like Penny's while looking entirely ordinary.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: S2E3
    Show
    I'm seconding the "a huntress stopping a truck isn't something you see every day" explanation. That, and Penny probably doesn't look the part.

On a related note, I like how Dust Shop Guy is officially the new Cabbage Guy.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Show
    I'm seconding the "a huntress stopping a truck isn't something you see every day" explanation. That, and Penny probably doesn't look the part.

On a related note, I like how Dust Shop Guy is officially the new Cabbage Guy.
    Spoiler: V2E2
    Show
    What do you mean she doesn't look the part?

13. - Top - End - #223

Show
    Show
    That, or this is a deliberate attempt to try and draw some boundaries on their capabilities. The bystanders and Ruby reacting in a way to show that stopping a large truck like that in the way she did was not normally possible, even for hunters and huntresses.

14. - Top - End - #224

Show
    That, or this is a deliberate attempt to try and draw some boundaries on their capabilities. The bystanders and Ruby reacting in a way to show that stopping a large truck like that in the way she did was not normally possible, even for hunters and huntresses.
    Show
    Then why the food fight that is clearly opposing this? They can't really have it both ways.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Banned

There have been several instances of people not knowing what you meant at all or apparently misunderstanding you. If you continue to reply to these with a flat "that's wrong" or other flat response which does not further the understanding between people, rather than try to explain your position or ask questions, like the others have done, these discussions will continue to go nowhere.
    Not helped by the fact that I don't even know which post of mine he's misinterpreting, due to the lack of quotes. I've explained my position (again, and again...), so I think a flat response was due. If it wasn't already clear: no, I was not objecting to the very idea of having character reactions to unusual events inform the viewer in some way. I was objecting to having a scene that is in no way unusual given what's been shown, except for the character reaction telling us we should treat it as a special occurrence.

Show
    My reply to LaZodiac had absolutely nothing to do with that. Your reply was a non sequitur and irrelevant. You need to include more context and clarity if you wish to take the discussion down a different track.

My reply (made in jest) was entirely about how a human could have taken that fall, that a robot could stop a truck was not in question.
    Show
    Regardless of how narrowly you choose to interpret that strand of the comment chain, is it clear by now what point I was making and how it relates to the broader discussion you were having with LaZodiac?

Show

There. Simple.
    Show
    You seem to be discounting all the other extraordinary things that have happened without more visual effects than were present in the truck scene. Gepenst has listed a couple such.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Then why the food fight that is clearly opposing this? They can't really have it both ways.
    Spoiler: V2E2-3
    Show

Well here is the thing:
    fighting good =/= superstrong.

being a great martial artist has nothing to do with being super-strong or anything like that, it just means you can better channel the strength you got into well-executed moves, and Hunters seem to be all about Martial Arts, which while requiring strength inherently to fight, isn't about being super-strong itself- just that that they have lots of weapons and abilities that do that sort of thing for them, while Yang being able to withstand a lot of force and going through a roof isn't super-strength its resilience, which Aura does perfectly well.

what Penny has however IS super-strength. she just plained stopped the truck with her hands. without any indication of a forcefield or something like that.

I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #227

Spoiler: V2E2-3
    Show

Well here is the thing:
    fighting good =/= superstrong.

being a great martial artist has nothing to do with being super-strong or anything like that, it just means you can better channel the strength you got into well-executed moves, and Hunters seem to be all about Martial Arts, which while requiring strength inherently to fight, isn't about being super-strong itself- just that that they have lots of weapons and abilities that do that sort of thing for them, while Yang being able to withstand a lot of force and going through a roof isn't super-strength its resilience, which Aura does perfectly well.

what Penny has however IS super-strength. she just plained stopped the truck with her hands. without any indication of a forcefield or something like that.

Show
    You completely missunderstand what I'm getting at. Yeah, fighting good doesn't mean superstrong. Shattering a huge stone pillar because you knocked someone into it, using FOOD, is super strong.

Nothing you're saying as an example makes what I'm saying invalid. Yang could of easily stopped that truck without any differences in the scene. I doubt Ruby and Weiss could only because they have spindly arms but at the same time, Aura exists so they would be able to do it anyway.

18. - Top - End - #228

Show
    Show
    It's not.

Yang falls (backwards, not on her face) through a ceiling which gives way, helping to break her fall.

Moneypenny is standing vertically on a horizontal road, trying to stop a heavy truck moving horizontally at a decent pace with the palms of her hands, and didn't move more than a foot or two from her starting position while completely destroying the road and not her, and without flinging her into the distance.

Not helped by the fact that I don't even know which post of mine he's misinterpreting, due to the lack of quotes. I've explained my position (again, and again...), so I think a flat response was due. If it wasn't already clear: no, I was not objecting to the very idea of having character reactions to unusual events inform the viewer in some way. I was objecting to having a scene that is in no way unusual given what's been shown, except for the character reaction telling us we should treat it as a special occurrence.
    First, a flat response like that is almost never due. It does not help further the discussion or understanding between parties. I'd suggest that you consider a different tack in the future.

It's pretty obvious what he was replying to, and he mentions it in his post. You've stated that the bystander reaction shouldn't be what we have to go on to learn things. I disagree completely and so does he. He's further expanded upon that to question how you feel about bystander reactions in other films and shows.

Show
    Regardless of how narrowly you choose to interpret that strand of the comment chain, is it clear by now what point I was making and how it relates to the broader discussion you were having with LaZodiac?
    Show
    It is not how narrowly (or broadly) someone chooses to interpret something. Including this kind of language is part of the reason you come off as arrogant and aloof. I again suggest that you consider rewording your replies in the future.

It takes two people to misinterpret a conversation. Your flat replies come off as quite aggressive, as if the only possible person can be at fault is the other party and you should not have to do any clarification, explaining or seek any additional information whatsoever.

If you'd like to discuss how those two scenes are different, see my reply to LaZodiac in this post. If you'd like to discuss how their reactions help us see that, see my earlier replies.

19. - Top - End - #229

Show
    It's not.

Yang falls (backwards, not on her face) through a ceiling which gives way, helping to break her fall.

Moneypenny is standing vertically on a horizontal road, trying to stop a heavy truck moving horizontally at a decent pace with the palms of her hands, and didn't move more than a foot or two from her starting position while completely destroying the road and not her, and without flinging her into the distance.
    Show
    And the destroyed stone pillar and the wall that Ruby nearly shattered with her powers? Do you think the people involved with stuff like that would be unable to get the same result from stopping a truck? Or how about the fact that Yang WAS sent flying THROUGH said roof by someone wielding a pipe that has a watermelon attached. Could someone that strong be able to stop a truck from moving like how Penny did? Because I think so.

And for that matter why DID the concrete shoot up like that? The truck wasn't really going that fast, and there's no way that what really does seem to just be a simple truck would cause that big of an impact to shatter concrete.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    You completely missunderstand what I'm getting at. Yeah, fighting good doesn't mean superstrong. Shattering a huge stone pillar because you knocked someone into it, using FOOD, is super strong.

Nothing you're saying as an example makes what I'm saying invalid. Yang could of easily stopped that truck without any differences in the scene. I doubt Ruby and Weiss could only because they have spindly arms but at the same time, Aura exists so they would be able to do it anyway.
    Show

No look:
    to get the general super-strength thing, you'd have to train your entire body for it.

To do the martial arts thing, your not actually training to become general super-strong in general, your training so you become super-strong when you execute a specific signature move. Sure Yang could do it- but only by punching it so that fire blasts out of her while she does it, because she has trained to apply the strength she has towards punching.

much like a karate chop- the person can only do it because they hardened their bones and practiced that specific technique a thousand times. and even if Yang tried to do what Penny did, it wouldn't result in her stopping it, just her getting hit to and being run over, granted Aura probably allows her to survive, but it doesn't allow her to stop the car

Penny clearly did completely improvised, completely without practicing. that is what is different.

21. - Top - End - #231

Show
    And the destroyed stone pillar and the wall that Ruby nearly shattered with her powers? Do you think the people involved with stuff like that would be unable to get the same result from stopping a truck? Or how about the fact that Yang WAS sent flying THROUGH said roof by someone wielding a pipe that has a watermelon attached. Could someone that strong be able to stop a truck from moving like how Penny did? Because I think so.

And for that matter why DID the concrete shoot up like that? The truck wasn't really going that fast, and there's no way that what really does seem to just be a simple truck would cause that big of an impact to shatter concrete.
    Show
    Do you think the people involved with stuff like that would be unable to get the same result from stopping a truck? Yes.

1) Those things gave way and broke their impact.

2) The angles and positions involved were different.

3) Remember that Moneypenny did not budge. She slid a couple of feet, but maintained her stance perfectly with next to no leverage.

22. - Top - End - #232

Show

No look:
    to get the general super-strength thing, you'd have to train your entire body for it.

To do the martial arts thing, your not actually training to become general super-strong in general, your training so you become super-strong when you execute a specific signature move. Sure Yang could do it- but only by punching it so that fire blasts out of her while she does it, because she has trained to apply the strength she has towards punching.

much like a karate chop- the person can only do it because they hardened their bones and practiced that specific technique a thousand times. and even if Yang tried to do what Penny did, it wouldn't result in her stopping it, just her getting hit to and being run over, granted Aura probably allows her to survive, but it doesn't allow her to stop the car

Penny clearly did completely improvised, completely without practicing. that is what is different.

Show
    ...so? These people are clearly strong. Hell, back in Volume 1 Ruby lifted the Nevermore by it's neck using her scythe. That's heavier then a truck. I don't understand why "oh Penny is untrained while they're trained, clearly they couldn't of stopped the truck" is a thing with you.

Show
    Do you think the people involved with stuff like that would be unable to get the same result from stopping a truck? Yes.

1) Those things gave way and broke their impact.

2) The angles and positions involved were different.

3) Remember that Moneypenny did not budge. She slid a couple of feet, but maintained her stance perfectly with next to no leverage.
    Show
    1: What does that have to do with anything? Yes, they did, I'm saying that is showing how strong they are. That is the point I'm making.

2: Yes.

3: So? I contest that thanks to how Aura works, and from how strong everyone appears to be, they would be able to do what Penny did. Tell me why they can't and I'll understand why you think they can't.

Bolded for emphasis I'm not mad or anything, just confused.

23. - Top - End - #233

Show
    ...so? These people are clearly strong. Hell, back in Volume 1 Ruby lifted the Nevermore by it's neck using her scythe. That's heavier then a truck. I don't understand why "oh Penny is untrained while they're trained, clearly they couldn't of stopped the truck" is a thing with you.
    Show
    1) That was aided by magic aura/semblance/dust/whatever. 2. That was started from a stationary position and accelerated slowly.

Show
    1: What does that have to do with anything? Yes, they did, I'm saying that is showing how strong they are. That is the point I'm making.

2: Yes.

3: So? I contest that thanks to how Aura works, and from how strong everyone appears to be, they would be able to do what Penny did. Tell me why they can't and I'll understand why you think they can't.

Show
    1. We're talking the difference between having something break your fall, and not moving at all. Riding a bike with shock absorbers down a rough road vs. riding a bike with none.

2. and 3. Look at Moneypenny's stance. Now, consider how impossible for a human that would be, even one martially trained, even one with magic aura/semblance/dust/whatever. Penny somehow managed to stop the truck without breaking her stance or being flung away.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Show

They could've stopped it, it just wouldn't be so plain looking. they'd have to apply what they've learned using their training and Semblance to do it, which would be clearly recognizable.

Ruby could lift the the Nevermore BECAUSE she had the Scythe. she was channeling it through the act of combat. through a weapon designed to be a force-multiplier. Penny has no such weapon, while Ren clearly had a special kind of move for what he did.

think of a Hunter as a swordmaster. sure they are skilled- but only at the sword. they aren't the Hulk or the Thing. if the swordmaster were to stop the truck, they'd have to use the sword to do it, and probably a flashy technique while they're at it. like Zorro. or Sanji.

Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2014-08-08 at 02:36 AM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    What do you mean she doesn't look the part?
    Spoiler: S2E3, Re: Penny
    Show
    I can't really place it, but she just comes across as less... Huntressy then anyone else shown so far.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Barbarian in the Playground

Only just watched it now, wasn't willing to stay up until half midnight to watch it this time.

Show
    I think the clothes the girls are wearing are there to try and add a bit of diversity, given that this is the fourth model we've seen for each of them. Sun really shouldn't listen in on other people's conversations, I guess it's just his thing. Weiss having a sister is a nice touch but I hope it doesn't end up with the entire Schnee family turning up to give her crap. Also, the boxes had 'Breakable Things' on the side, just because collateral damage is funny.

What did everyone think of the new music?

27. - Top - End - #237

Quote Originally Posted by Mrc. View Post
    Show
    Also, the boxes had 'Breakable Things' on the side, just because collateral damage is funny.
    Show
    YES! I am so glad someone else noticed this. I had been waiting for someone to comment...

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    YES! I am so glad someone else noticed this. I had been waiting for someone to comment...
    Show
    Speaking of things I'm surprised no one has commented on yet, Yang mentioned "a friend" who "knows everything that goes on in Vale" and from whom getting information "should be easy." Something tells me the man in question would disagree with the first part of that and futilely deny the third part.

29. - Top - End - #239

Show
    Speaking of things I'm surprised no one has commented on yet, Yang mentioned "a friend" who "knows everything that goes on in Vale" and from whom getting information "should be easy." Something tells me the man in question would disagree with the first part of that and futilely deny the third part.
    Show
    Yep, I'm fairly certain it's him.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    Tell me why they can't and I'll understand why you think they can't.

I found this description on another forum, and it seems to explain what happened and why it's strange better than I could.

Show
    Using Aura to stop the truck? If that's all Penny did, it could be explained away by "aura".

But that's not what happened. Penny's action caused her to become an extension of the truck's force, which transferred the full impact force into the pavement through Penny's feet, shattering it, which happened because it was less dense than both the truck and Penny. The truck's momentum then caused Penny to act as a fulcrum point for the force until such time that Penny and the truck formed a straight line into the ground. This means Penny had to be lifting the entire vehicle's weight, plus the change in weight the vehicle's momentum represented (F=MV after all, so the forces involved in holding the vehicle aloft until such time that the inertia in the system was lower than the force of gravity on the vehicle was many times greater than the vehicles weight).

Based on how we see other uses of Aura in the series, what Penny did is many orders of magnitude higher than what Hunters are capable of. Ren does something similar in that he is stopping force, but he is fighting a much lesser force that is more or less just a steady pressure (over a greater area and over a larger amount of time so it's not a matter of strength, but of endurance).

Assuming any level of competent schooling on Aura and it's capabilities, most people would be concerned because they just witnessed the equivalent of someone plucking a bullet out of the air after learning that human reflexes are too slow to let you catch it.