New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Tips for a first-time HS teacher?

Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
    My teachers often didn't require to show work,..... So not showing work was only a good idea if you were 100% certain you got the right answer.
    This is exactly what I'm advocating

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    True but applied to HS math class I don't think that an appropriate comparison? I think and have seen that backfire as much as help. If a student does better at dealing with such issues in the form of "support you argument" in an English class it shouldn't be penalized in math class.
    The methods for doing so in English class are not the methods for doing so in math class, so one does not replace the other. Your principle is equivalent to saying, "I can create a good line in art class, so I shouldn't be penalized for not creating a good line in poetry class."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The methods for doing so in English class are not the methods for doing so in math class, so one does not replace the other. Your principle is equivalent to saying, "I can create a good line in art class, so I shouldn't be penalized for not creating a good line in poetry class."
    I'd disagree. The logic is similar. If the goal is to have success in artistic expression then the two are equivalent in your drafting and English course. It also isn't math. and to penalize for things that are not math is inappropriate.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    This is exactly what I'm advocating
    Way I see it, we weren't actually in disagreement. If you don't want to show your work that's on you. If you get a right answer you get points, if you get a wrong answer and don't want the chance for at least partial credit, that's your choice too. I've never had a teacher knock points off for not showing work, and since they always assigned the even numbered problems for homework you couldn't just flip to the back of the book and copy the answers anyway.

I'm a fan of lateral thinking and it certainly gets me places that linear thinking can't or won't go, but I see no reason not to give myself every advantage I can, so I'll show my work because its to my advantage to do so.
    Last edited by Winter_Wolf; 2014-08-09 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Typo
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    ... I've never had a teacher knock points off for not showing work,...
    I'm a fan of lateral thinking and it certainly gets me places that linear thinking can't or won't go, but I see no reason not to give myself every advantage I can, so I'll show my work because its to my advantage to do so.
    I have. A couple of them-and hear of others regularly. Think it can be highly dangerous to the lateral thinkers and also prevents people decent at both from practicing their lateral thinking.
    Last edited by sktarq; 2014-08-09 at 06:28 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

I think the most important message was given to us a long time ago...

We miss you, man. We miss you.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Questions
    Maybe you're a HS teacher, or maybe you were a HS student once. Any pointers?
    Former HS student. Opinions based partially off AP Calc BC, which was a class of about 15. (And a bit off college)

Seating chart
    For such a small class, you probably don't need a seating chart. I liked in Calc being able to sit anywhere we wanted. Although, of course, Cafeteria Syndrome happened, and we always sat in the same places. A bit of the usual self-imposed seating chart.

Cell phone usage -> lost points and I take it until the end of the school day
    Nah. Take it for the period if it's a problem. Nothing more.

Talk after you turn your test in -> lost points
    For HS, sure. And only taking points off, sure. My issue is only people like my accounting professor, who will fail you for the semester if you so much as talk on your way out of the testing room after finishing.

Tests modeled after ACT and SAT (primarily multiple choice, 1-2 work out)
    Perhaps the opposite balance. Some multiple choice, but mostly work out. Also, remember to only give half credit for answers without work. (Unless it's stupidly easy and they really shouldn't need to show work)

The alternative to requiring work, which is just as fine. You don't need to show work, but you can only get partial credit for a wrong answer if there's work. So for instance, they got all the calc formulas right, but messed up on the algebra and got the wrong answer. Partial, possibly even near-full credit.

Have stuff like Rubik's Cubes and chess sets for before/after school and special days
    Yes, also Catan. Because Catan. Just be sure to have the 5-6 player expansion. You'll need it.

Bell work every day
    I like this idea. Give completion credit for it, and have it replace attendance.

Mix of calculator and non-calculator (personally I don't like them at all, but hey, they're handy)
    Yes. People are growing too reliant on them. Of course you'll probably never be without one in practice, but the theory is still good to know. Perhaps have a two-day/two-part final. One part is calculator required, one part is non-calculator.

Work can be done individually or with a partner (person next to you). No large groups.
    Nah, groups are fine.

EDIT: Also, I'm interested in banks of multiple choice questions (preferably a .tex file, but I doubt I'll find one) from standardized tests. I've found a few via google, but no huge banks. Any good sites?
    I don't necessarily know sites, but this is a good idea. One of my professors in college actually makes question banks for the final. He draws a random sample each semester for the final, and another for a review day.

And finally, a suggestion for class format from experience. Homework time. Make a lot of class homework time. I loved the format of my BC Calc class. He'd teach us for a bit, but most of class was homework time, and we were able to ask him any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    You know what's missing from every classroom board game collection? Settlers of Catan.
    Me, Myself, and I second, third, and fourth this, respectively.
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2