New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Star Wars: The Old Republic lock ups

So, since I'm not paying 15 dollars just to be able to get customer service on their forums and I don't have the time to wait all day on their customer service phone line right now, I'm posting this here (the thread for this is also past the necro date):

Recently SW: OtR has randomly been locking my laptop's screen up, with zero warning. The computer itself is still functioning (from what I can tell), but the screen is completely frozen and refuses to let the computer go into sleep mode (which usually fixes any kind of random issues I'm having). I thought, at first, it was some kind of overheating issue (since the game causes my comp to blaze hotter than any other game or MMO), but even after switching to a balanced power option and reducing my maximum processor power to 75%, it locked up again this morning.

Any ideas (and I don't know if this should be here or the tech subforum, come to think of it)?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic lock ups

Overheating generally causes computers to shut off for safety rather than lock the screen.

Does this screen lock happen consistently, or is it an on-and-off thing that just sort of happens? Only thing that comes to mind is graphics drivers hanging on something, but not crashing far enough for windows to try and automatically restart them/bluescreen.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

I seem to remember having some issues with starwars locking up, which were solved by changing the screen settings to windowed mode...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Overheating generally causes computers to shut off for safety rather than lock the screen.

Does this screen lock happen consistently, or is it an on-and-off thing that just sort of happens? Only thing that comes to mind is graphics drivers hanging on something, but not crashing far enough for windows to try and automatically restart them/bluescreen.
    There's no rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes it'll happen within a minute of logging into the game, sometimes after running around for bit and trying to do a conversation and sometimes it won't happen at all. And it's just with SW: OtR; none of my other games or MMOs have ever done this.

Quote Originally Posted by Abemad View Post
    I seem to remember having some issues with starwars locking up, which were solved by changing the screen settings to windowed mode...
    I...play exclusively in Windowed mode. ^^;

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, a bit of quick googling isn't coming up with anything particularly specific, only thing that really comes to mind is updating drivers and maybe running the launcher's repair function.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

what are the specs on your computer if you don't mind me asking. That sounds like struggling hardware.
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaun View Post
    if you don't mind me asking.
    How dare you ask such personal questions on a public forum.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion