New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Muckdwellers!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Default Muckdwellers!

Alright, so Muckdwellers are pretty amazing, because being a tiny dinosaur is probably the best thing in this game, but I have some questions regarding them.

1. I can't seem to find their ability adjustments anywhere in Serpent Kingdoms, only their LA. Can anyone point out where it is?

2. How does the ol' Muckdweller wizard + Muckdweller familiar thing work? As far as I can tell only Yuan-ti can take muckdweller familiars.

3. What are some of the funniest/best muckdweller builds/tricks?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Muckdwellers!

Quote Originally Posted by Champion Pickle View Post
    1. I can't seem to find their ability adjustments anywhere in Serpent Kingdoms, only their LA. Can anyone point out where it is?
    You have to calculate them from the "Abilities:" line in the stat block. If the ability is even, subtract 10, if it's odd, subtract 11. So the ability modifiers for a 1st-level muckdweller would be:

Str -6, Dex +6, Wis -2, Cha -2

2. How does the ol' Muckdweller wizard + Muckdweller familiar thing work? As far as I can tell only Yuan-ti can take muckdweller familiars.
    The Improved Familiar feat does not have any racial prerequisites. Any spellcaster who has the ability to gain a familiar and who meets the alignment and character level requirements (Lawful Evil, 5th level) can acquire a muckdweller as a familiar, even if they are already a muckdweller.

3. What are some of the funniest/best muckdweller builds/tricks?
    Dragonfire Adept creates a tiny-sized mini-dragon with a full-sized breath weapon (30' cone or 60' line). DFAs are usually Con-based SAD (single attribute dependency) or NAD (no attribute dependency), so you can load 'em up with meta-breath effects and burn the world down. However, once you get the Humanoid Shape invocation, you no longer have an excuse to be tiny.

Warlock also works well, as you can leverage that Dex +6 bonus on all your ranged touch attacks.

They show up occasionally in Iron Chef. Ssurssk was in the Cypher Adept round, and Gashlycrumb was in the Dungeon Lord round. I don't think we've had any place yet.