New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default PC wants to make a plant themed druid -help with summon nature's ally summon list

Hi. I have a PC who wants to make a druid that is an expert botanist type and desires to theme his wildshape and spells around plants/fungi. Summon Natures ally is a bit...faunacentric for his tastes and asked to see if the summon list can be homebrewed around..."floracentric" critters.

My first idea was to take the summon monster lists and apply the wood subtype from manual of the planes: wooden dire rat, wood eagle, etc. And maybe put shreiker on summon nat ally 1, and purple fungus on nat ally 2. Higher level fey would still be there, but the wood subtype would get old and underpowered by the time 5th and 6th level summons come around, although fey compensate for much of that.

On top of that, is there a quick and dirty fix to the animal companion options to render it plantlike. We've discussed replacing the animal companion with poison use and some skill bonus/bonus feat to poison crafting/potion fabricating in place of this.

It's more difficult to keep the idea balanced at levels over 6, so suggestions are super welcome.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: PC wants to make a plant themed druid -help with summon nature's ally summon list

Well, it's a bit ridiculously broken, but he could always take greenbound summoning from lost empires of faerun. It applies the plant type to all summons, and does... a lot of other stuff. He might also be interested in the holt warden prestige class from complete champion, which is one of the better plant themed prestige classes. Great on a one level dip, and quite a lot worse after that, but even that dip is sufficient to get a lot more plant into the build.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: PC wants to make a plant themed druid -help with summon nature's ally summon list

Dragon #357 has plant companions for druids. It's a little weaker than a normal animal companion because spells like Animal Growth won't work on it but has a few interesting options.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Hi. I have a PC who wants to make a druid that is an expert botanist type and desires to theme his wildshape and spells around plants/fungi. Summon Natures ally is a bit...faunacentric for his tastes and asked to see if the summon list can be homebrewed around..."floracentric" critters.

My first idea was to take the summon monster lists and apply the wood subtype from manual of the planes: wooden dire rat, wood eagle, etc. And maybe put shreiker on summon nat ally 1, and purple fungus on nat ally 2. Higher level fey would still be there, but the wood subtype would get old and underpowered by the time 5th and 6th level summons come around, although fey compensate for much of that.

On top of that, is there a quick and dirty fix to the animal companion options to render it plantlike. We've discussed replacing the animal companion with poison use and some skill bonus/bonus feat to poison crafting/potion fabricating in place of this.

It's more difficult to keep the idea balanced at levels over 6, so suggestions are super welcome.
    In the dragon compendium there is an ACF for Druid to have an evolving plant companion I believe
    Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousPepper View Post
    Easy. Be a Planar Shepherd.
    I, too, destroy beehives with nuclear weapons.
    Proponent of Rudisplorkery in the Rudisplorker Guild

Avatar by the ever so generous Grinner