New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

The DM from my old group forbade fighters because they were "too boring" and ninjas because his pet DMPC was the only one allowed to be one.
    He then proceeded to make Magic Missile miss the big bad, when he was sitting on his throne delivering a monologue.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bjoern View Post
    That actually was 2e. It was very early on for me RPing, about 20 years ago. At the time I just thought the concept of a tabletop RPG was awesome so I had a blast despite all the restrictions put on me. Lots of great memories from those days.
    Oh, well, that's not a ban then. That's an actual rule from 2e.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by satcharna View Post
    The DM from my old group forbade fighters because they were "too boring" and ninjas because his pet DMPC was the only one allowed to be one.
    To be honest, banning the Fighter I understand. Banning Ninja might also not be so bad an idea, but only because they're so terrible.

He then proceeded to make Magic Missile miss the big bad, when he was sitting on his throne delivering a monologue.
    He missed out on some prime hilarity when he did that.

"Foolish heroes! Soon I shall rupture the delicate fabric between- OW! Hey, stop that!- as I was saying, rupture the- AHH- stop that- balance between- OWW!! Seriously?

You guys suck."
    Last edited by Owl Prowler; 2014-08-13 at 05:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Oh, well, that's not a ban then. That's an actual rule from 2e.
    Back then I never had my nose in the books. The DM was the only one who knew the rules. We were all just along for the ride. I remember stuff like drow being broken because they would just levitate you up causing you to disengage and getting back stabs from the thieves. And then dropping you for falling damage.
    No clue if that's how it was supposed to work but that's what we did.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Shield spell or a Broach of Shielding would do that — as would a Globe of Invulnerability.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

6. - Top - End - #306
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I think the word "miss" is the operative word here, rather than "was stopped by [X]".

Except technically it was stopped by plot armor, so...

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    I think the word "miss" is the operative word here, rather than "was stopped by [X]".
    Well possibly, but "miss" could just be fluff for "was stopped by [X]" — though a Spellcraft roll would be a nice touch here.

Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    Except technically it was stopped by plot armor, so...
    Also possible, and it's certainly the impression given — but it might not be the case.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I am not allowed to give NPCs J names anymore. Jeeves the vampire butler and his associate Jenkins ruined it for me.

9. - Top - End - #309

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    Ever read Galahad the Pure's Nerfiest Campaign?
    I have now, and the "Your Worst DM Ever" and "Your Worst Session Ever" threads are both about to get a new story.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Owl Prowler View Post
    He missed out on some prime hilarity when he did that.

"Foolish heroes! Soon I shall rupture the delicate fabric between- OW! Hey, stop that!- as I was saying, rupture the- AHH- stop that- balance between- OWW!! Seriously?

You guys suck."
    We had a similar situation happen with that. The bad guy was with Winter Wolf and he had cast windwall so he could monologue and our bows wouldn't work, but the dm didn't know that the party druid had prepared some lightning spell in all of his slots that he could that day (Dude just wanted to shoot some lightning) and we almost killed the big bad on that first encounter because of it.
    Awesome Avvy courtesy of Beholder1995

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ryu View Post
    Not you singular. You plural. As in the entire group involved in the conversation. Stupid English with its lack of making those meanings completely separate words. Spanish is a much less annoying language. Still has its quirks, but not as many.
    If you meant more than one person, maybe you should have quoted more than one person. Just saying.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

13. - Top - End - #313

Playing different gender.

It was a PbP.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Insanity View Post
    Playing different gender.

It was a PbP.
    You don't even have your gender marked, though?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    Another strange ban was on the warmage, because "it was op". Clearly this DM did not read the warmage, although I do think it can be made better, but not op.
    I can see that one, actually. If you are in a game that considers blasting to be a good thing for a caster to do, and you realize that warmage is a more versatile blaster with more spells and hp than a sorcerer who blasts better (since you never read wings of flurry) and gets to wear armor, that does seem pretty OP. I mean I've played in a game with a sorcerer who took all fire blasty spells, and in comparison a warmage would have been awesomesauce.

16. - Top - End - #316

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    You don't even have your gender marked, though?
    It wasn't on this forum. And it's not even relevant, because whatever gender is marked doesn't have to be true, thus making the houserule pointless. The houserule wouldn't make much sense even at an actual table. In PbP it's just stupid.
    Last edited by The Insanity; 2014-08-17 at 09:02 AM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Insanity View Post
    It wasn't on this forum. And it's not even relevant, because whatever gender is marked doesn't have to be true, thus making the houserule pointless. The houserule wouldn't make much sense even at an actual table. In PbP it's just stupid.
    Well it could be intended to stop a specific player who often depicts the other gender poorly (edit: or offensively) from doing so without naming them. Although if it was entirely selected from strangers I agree that it doesn't make much sense.
    Last edited by AMFV; 2014-08-17 at 09:09 AM.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Well it could be intended to stop a specific player who often depicts the other gender poorly (edit: or offensively) from doing so without naming them. Although if it was entirely selected from strangers I agree that it doesn't make much sense.
    It could be. I prefer just naming them though, some variety of "Bjorn doesn't get to play women anymore after the lesbian nymphomaniac caricature" is a lot fairer to the rest of the players.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    It could be. I prefer just naming them though, some variety of "Bjorn doesn't get to play women anymore after the lesbian nymphomaniac caricature" is a lot fairer to the rest of the players.
    Yeah. I tend to be fairly lenient, but I prefer the players to play characters their own gender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    It's less fair, actually. Fairness is having the same rules for everybody. Yes, Bjorn is the one who ruined it, but it's ruined for everybody past that point, at least if you want to be fair to everybody. Now it's fine to just ban Bjorn, but it isn't fair, the word you're looking for is just, it would be just to punish Bjorn and not everybody, but it's fair to have the same rules apply to everybody.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Back in high school I played with a DM who never used orcs - and banned any sort of orc/half-orc race - on the grounds that
    Orcs are made-up fantasy creatures.
    All of his games were played in his own particular homebrew world, which had some good ideas and concepts. Among those good concepts was not included his blanket ban on Monks, save for his DMPC, and the True Neutral alignment, save for his DMPC.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuickLyRaiNbow View Post
    Back in high school I played with a DM who never used orcs - and banned any sort of orc/half-orc race - on the grounds that

All of his games were played in his own particular homebrew world, which had some good ideas and concepts. Among those good concepts was not included his blanket ban on Monks, save for his DMPC, and the True Neutral alignment, save for his DMPC.
    Spoiler: Fantasy Creatures in a Fantasy RPG? Nonsense
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    It's less fair, actually. Fairness is having the same rules for everybody. Yes, Bjorn is the one who ruined it, but it's ruined for everybody past that point, at least if you want to be fair to everybody. Now it's fine to just ban Bjorn, but it isn't fair, the word you're looking for is just, it would be just to punish Bjorn and not everybody, but it's fair to have the same rules apply to everybody.
    The same rules do apply to everybody. It's just that the rules are more complicated than a blanket ban, it's a conditional ban applied to everyone who meets a condition. Now, if somebody else also played the same character and the ban wasn't applied to them, then there's a case for unfairness.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

24. - Top - End - #324

Well, according to Wikipedia...

Spoiler: Orcs
    Show
    The modern use of the English term orc to denote a race of evil, humanoid creatures has its inception with J. R. R. Tolkien. Tolkien's earliest Elvish dictionaries include the entry Ork (orq-) 'monster', 'ogre', 'demon', together with orqindi 'ogresse'. Tolkien sometimes used the plural form orqui in his early texts.

Tolkien sometimes, particularly in The Hobbit, used the word goblin instead of orc to describe the same type of creature. He notes that 'orc' is 'usually translated' as 'goblin'. In The Lord of the Rings, 'goblin' is also used as an alternative to 'orc', particularly in chapters describing events from a hobbit's perspective. Thus, the Uruk-hai of Isengard and the Mordor orc-captain Grishnakh are described as both 'orcs' and 'goblins' in The Lord of the Rings. Later in his life, Tolkien expressed an intention to change the spelling to ork, but the only place where that spelling occurred in his lifetime was in the published version of The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, in the poem Bombadil Goes Boating: "I'll call the orks on you: that'll send you running!" In The Silmarillion, published posthumously, 'orcs' was retained.

However, it goes even deeper in the Old English:

Old English glossaries record the word OE orc corresponding with Latin Orcus (deity of the Underworld), and synonymous with thyrs "ogre" (cognate of Old Norse: þurs), as well as "hell devil".

The Latin: Orcus is glossed as "Old English: Orc, þyrs, oððe hel-deofol"[a] as given in the first Cleopatra Glossary (10th century), and on this entry Thomas Wright wrote, "Orcus was the name for Pluto, the god of the infernal regions, hence we can easily understand the explanation of hel-deofol. Orc, in Anglos-Saxon, like thyrs, means a spectre, or goblin."

Probably the lone literary example is from Beowulf, and its poet found use of the orc- stem in orcneas, one of the tribes of creatures named alongside elves and ettins (giants) that have been condemned by God
    MAGIC, n. An art of converting superstition into coin. There are other arts serving the same high purpose, but the discreet lexicographer does not name them.

Taken from The Devil's Dictionary

Spoiler
    Show
    My Warmage Guidebook (notice I said Guidebook, not Handbook), still in the works.

Pathfinder's Inquisitor Handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    And they only speak barbarian tongues, which naturally consists of saying "bar bar bar" over and over again.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    Well, according to Wikipedia...

Spoiler: Orcs
    Show
    The modern use of the English term orc to denote a race of evil, humanoid creatures has its inception with J. R. R. Tolkien. Tolkien's earliest Elvish dictionaries include the entry Ork (orq-) 'monster', 'ogre', 'demon', together with orqindi 'ogresse'. Tolkien sometimes used the plural form orqui in his early texts.

Tolkien sometimes, particularly in The Hobbit, used the word goblin instead of orc to describe the same type of creature. He notes that 'orc' is 'usually translated' as 'goblin'. In The Lord of the Rings, 'goblin' is also used as an alternative to 'orc', particularly in chapters describing events from a hobbit's perspective. Thus, the Uruk-hai of Isengard and the Mordor orc-captain Grishnakh are described as both 'orcs' and 'goblins' in The Lord of the Rings. Later in his life, Tolkien expressed an intention to change the spelling to ork, but the only place where that spelling occurred in his lifetime was in the published version of The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, in the poem Bombadil Goes Boating: "I'll call the orks on you: that'll send you running!" In The Silmarillion, published posthumously, 'orcs' was retained.

However, it goes even deeper in the Old English:

Old English glossaries record the word OE orc corresponding with Latin Orcus (deity of the Underworld), and synonymous with thyrs "ogre" (cognate of Old Norse: þurs), as well as "hell devil".

The Latin: Orcus is glossed as "Old English: Orc, þyrs, oððe hel-deofol"[a] as given in the first Cleopatra Glossary (10th century), and on this entry Thomas Wright wrote, "Orcus was the name for Pluto, the god of the infernal regions, hence we can easily understand the explanation of hel-deofol. Orc, in Anglos-Saxon, like thyrs, means a spectre, or goblin."

Probably the lone literary example is from Beowulf, and its poet found use of the orc- stem in orcneas, one of the tribes of creatures named alongside elves and ettins (giants) that have been condemned by God
    Wait a minute...

Orcus... god of the infernal regions...
    Spoiler: WAIT STOP BEFOR-
    Show
    Last edited by Hazrond; 2014-08-17 at 07:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousPepper View Post
    Easy. Be a Planar Shepherd.
    I, too, destroy beehives with nuclear weapons.
    Proponent of Rudisplorkery in the Rudisplorker Guild

Avatar by the ever so generous Grinner

26. - Top - End - #326
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

My DM banned TN and CN, as well as the evil alignments.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Threads made due to my misreading of a rule: 2

One of my favorite hobbies is criticizing popular members and moderators for anything they do wrong. So nothing personal.

I know I promised to stat a lot of things, but my life got busy and, well, my life got busy. I'm not very active on the forum for now, but I will be fulfilling my promises later.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

I can see CN and the evil alignments, but why TN? Afraid the players would 'meh' all over everything?
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ilorin Lorati View Post
    I can see CN and the evil alignments, but why TN? Afraid the players would 'meh' all over everything?
    I've had TN players try and pass it off as "do whatever I want". Also, neutralism is a difficult philosophy to roleplay accurately, especially for new players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ilorin Lorati View Post
    Actually, I'm still not sure whether or not LE is banned...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Threads made due to my misreading of a rule: 2

One of my favorite hobbies is criticizing popular members and moderators for anything they do wrong. So nothing personal.

I know I promised to stat a lot of things, but my life got busy and, well, my life got busy. I'm not very active on the forum for now, but I will be fulfilling my promises later.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Not me, but I was showing a friend of mine this thread and hesaid he had a DM ban the CG and LE alignments from his entire setting because "If you don't follow the law, you can't be good, and if you do, you can't be evil. It just isn't possible," So yeah.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.