New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubs View Post
    I've heard that mentioned more than once on this forum. And my response is always, that there are nowadays some very nice alternatives. http://roll20.net/
    Eh, some people like the personal touch of being face-to-face. I'm not one of them, thus why my playing is done on the PbP section of this board.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I am reminded of this monstrosity.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm flirting with this. Except for the crazy race nonsense.

When we first started up no one realized that you can only have one shield bonus. So a dwarf warpriest in full plate with two shields was like the panzer of builds early on.

Oh and my current DM bans drow , which is fine. They kinda suck for the LA anyway.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

I once played under rules which were basically "If it's over Tier 5, or a feat/class feature/variant/item/anything else that could be useful to higher tier class, ask. If you have to ask, it's probably not ok."

This was after i was told to join and optimize to make sure the rest of the party wouldn't kill themselves tripping over the front step of the inn we started in.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I had a DM ban characters over 3rd level once. They were too complicated for her.
    Reminds me of one of my friends who DM's every now and then. Except he generally doesn't obey any type of game rule anyway. I've considered showing him OSRIC or something, because 3.5 is all he knows but he plays it like 1.0.
    Last edited by Zombulian; 2014-08-08 at 03:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I am reminded of this monstrosity.
    The funniest thing about that comic is the idea that, apart from the name and the racial shenanigans, the character presented is in any way shape or form overpowered or munchkin-y.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

So were all PrC banned, or could you enter them without feats?

What about class abilities that referenced or granted feats?
    Wish I could tell you, but it never got that far. He wasn't a very good GM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Owl Prowler View Post
    The funniest thing about that comic is the idea that, apart from the name and the racial shenanigans, the character presented is in any way shape or form overpowered or munchkin-y.
    Probably written by a non-optimizer. When I was first getting into it, it seemed like all that optimizing was was over-complicated multiclassing and weird race combinations.
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

It presents a character who gets boosted sneak attack damage, and hits with a full set of two weapon fighting attacks (plus an extra one) with the daggers, plus two claymore attacks also with sneak attack. It's also supposed to be a starting character. That's pretty munchkiny.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Probably written by a non-optimizer. When I was first getting into it, it seemed like all that optimizing was was over-complicated multiclassing and weird race combinations.
    Now we know that you have to stick with a primary caster and choose weird feat options.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Threads made due to my misreading of a rule: 2

One of my favorite hobbies is criticizing popular members and moderators for anything they do wrong. So nothing personal.

I know I promised to stat a lot of things, but my life got busy and, well, my life got busy. I'm not very active on the forum for now, but I will be fulfilling my promises later.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    It presents a character who gets boosted sneak attack damage, and hits with a full set of two weapon fighting attacks (plus an extra one) with the daggers, plus two claymore attacks also with sneak attack. It's also supposed to be a starting character. That's pretty munchkiny.
    Level 1. And actually, it does fit munckining pretty hard.

Munchkins go for BIG BIG numbers, even if they aren't effective. They look at fireball and just try to make it deal 5 million d6.

Optimizers want to do things. They look at Fireball, laugh, and cast Wings of Flurry if they want damage, or Planar Binding for anything else.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Also, while in a campaign about optimization, compare that to the other characters and the DM's reaction. Munchkinry and optimization are relative things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Where did the term Munchkin come from anyway? Optimizer makes sense because... you know.

13. - Top - End - #73

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Where did the term Munchkin come from anyway? Optimizer makes sense because... you know.
    According to wikipedia:

"The term was applied originally to young gamers by older players, presumably because the connotation of being short and ridiculous (like the Munchkins in the book and film The Wizard of Oz) made it an apt label for the childish gamers it was applied to. However, before long it came to refer to anyone who engaged in a juvenile gaming style no matter their height, age or experience."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubs View Post
    According to wikipedia:

"The term was applied originally to young gamers by older players, presumably because the connotation of being short and ridiculous (like the Munchkins in the book and film The Wizard of Oz) made it an apt label for the childish gamers it was applied to. However, before long it came to refer to anyone who engaged in a juvenile gaming style no matter their height, age or experience."
    Fair enough then.

15. - Top - End - #75

DrowGuy

I don't know if I should call this nonsensical because there were apparently story reasons for it (unfotunately the campaign broke down before we found out) but...I played in a game where any spell that allowed you to breathe under water or gave the swim movement mode was banned. Nobody was allowed to know how to swim.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSonic1337 View Post
    I don't know if I should call this nonsensical because there were apparently story reasons for it (unfotunately the campaign broke down before we found out) but...I played in a game where any spell that allowed you to breathe under water or gave the swim movement mode was banned. Nobody was allowed to know how to swim.
    That part is kind of nonsense. Unless I guess all the characters lived in a desert and had never been to an Oasis.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

I played with a GM who thought all hybrid classes were cheese and anyone who wanted to play them was trying to pull of some kind of "munchkin cheese". So no Beguilers, Incarnates, Warmages, Duskblades, or Warlocks, only good old "balanced" classes from the Player's Handbook like the Wizard and Cleric.

I tried to explain that one to him a few times and he just never believed that those other classes were far better balanced and far harder to power-game than standard wizards, no matter what evidence was presented.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2014-08-08 at 04:50 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

If it's a starting character (as in level 1) then I'm not sure how it's accomplishing all that. If it's a low level character that managed to fit all that in, then more power to it. It's not like melee gets nice things anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Level 1. And actually, it does fit munckining pretty hard.

Munchkins go for BIG BIG numbers, even if they aren't effective. They look at fireball and just try to make it deal 5 million d6.

Optimizers want to do things. They look at Fireball, laugh, and cast Wings of Flurry if they want damage, or Planar Binding for anything else.
    Fair enough. Looking at the character, it seems like the theoretical optimizer was going for a "sneak attack as much and in as many different situations as possible" route. For a low level primary damage dealer, that's not ineffective. Sure, it's less effective than say, battlefield control or summoning, but seeing as the guy isn't playing a spellcaster, it's a bit of a moot point.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    I think at this point we've banned Miracles. Not because they were OP, but because of the damn Shadowcraft Mage and his Miracling everything. So now NO-ONE GRANTS MIRACLES! MUWAHAHAHAH!
    Shadowcraft mage miracles can be pretty brutally overpowered, though. And miracle itself is one of the most powerful spells available to clerics, so it's not that odd to ban it in the first place.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

If it's a starting character (as in level 1) then I'm not sure how it's accomplishing all that. If it's a low level character that managed to fit all that in, then more power to it. It's not like melee gets nice things anyways.
    The game being played is not D&D. Some knockoff fantasy clone that uses many of the same terms, but it's explicitly not D&D, but D&D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Was this before or after Wind Waker came out? You know, the Zelda game with the actual grappling hook.
    Wind Waker: 2003
    Dungeonscape: 2007

Matter of fact, Wind Waker came out before D&D 3.5.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

22. - Top - End - #82

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Wind Waker: 2003
    Dungeonscape: 2007

Matter of fact, Wind Waker came out before D&D 3.5.
    Sadly, (or fortunately?) I have nothing relevant to add to the topic at hand...

However, I believe my head my have just exploded...
    Remember, posting links to TVTropes is Vile.
    Spoiler: Fun Quotes (Spoiled for Length)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    You are vile and I will link this post randomly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haley
    Imagining getting it on atop a mountain of coins still technically counts as thinking about you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Humans are weird.

I'm Bad, and that's good. I will never be Good, and that's not bad. There is no one I'd rather be then me. ~Bad Guy Affirmation
    Unofficial (Self-titled) Spokes person for the Unofficial TOB Errata
    Now a Vestige!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rijan_Sai View Post

I checked, and it was only 2 months on the US release. 6 on the Japanese.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rijan_Sai View Post

Relevant.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    I played with a GM who thought all hybrid classes were cheese and anyone who wanted to play them was trying to pull of some kind of "munchkin cheese". So no Beguilers, Incarnates, Warmages, Duskblades, or Warlocks, only good old "balanced" classes from the Player's Handbook like the Wizard and Cleric.

I tried to explain that one to him a few times and he just never believed that those other classes were far better balanced and far harder to power-game than standard wizards, no matter what evidence was presented.
    Please tell me you crushed this belief with indiscriminate (and some say, even inhumane, but that is debatable in a game where non-human humanoids running around) use of CoDzilla?.
    MAGIC, n. An art of converting superstition into coin. There are other arts serving the same high purpose, but the discreet lexicographer does not name them.

Taken from The Devil's Dictionary

Spoiler
    Show
    My Warmage Guidebook (notice I said Guidebook, not Handbook), still in the works.

Pathfinder's Inquisitor Handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    And they only speak barbarian tongues, which naturally consists of saying "bar bar bar" over and over again.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

In one game I decided to play a Favored Soul. I was healing focused. I just really wanted to spend my time being pure support. I used my skill points to spec Craft: Blacksmithing to give the party Fighter and Barbarian some gear.

After about ten games, my DM felt I wasn't being creative enough. He banned moving and casting in the same round because all I was doing was keeping my team up, I wasn't damaging things. Worse, he never explained it. I just kept telling him what I tried to do, and he responded with "you can't". I left the game when I figured it out.
    Attacking the darkness since 2009.

Spoiler: Quotes I like
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal regarding What would a Cat Lord want? View Post
    She wants the renegade Red Dot brought to her court in chains.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz regarding randomly rolling edgelord backstories View Post
    Huh...Apparently I'm Agony Blood Blood, Half-orc Shadow Sorcerer. I killed a Dragons. I'm Chaotic Good, probably racist.

27. - Top - End - #87

Devil

i once played in an epic level game, as a single classed fighter and half-fiend ( i wasn't even into the epic level HD yet) and my DM banned the weapon mastery line of feats from PHB2 because i was doing too much damage.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I once had a DM who banned, according to him, "optimization". This meant, for lack of a better definition, no multiclassing, no using PrCs, no using feats he deemed "OP". This DM put up a straight-class fighter as the definition of nonoptimization, and when one of the players, a sorcerer, managed to one-shot a supposed-to-be recurring villain, he flat out banned spellcasters (and then wondered why we were getting slaughtered en masse) (That was short lived though, we explained it to him).

Turns out he was a new DM who got his tips offline. Once we played a while he got better and slowly began to trust us more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

I played in a game where we rolled background stuff that gave a small mechanical bonus, and that we had to build our backstory around. I got something to the effect of "survived a deadly illness" for a +1 to fort. Cool! That will help my sorcerer! I'm game for it. So I chose some exotic disease the has a big table of random effects, one of which was changing your hair color, and I choose green, cuz heck, why not?

I'll let you guess what part of all that the DM banned.

30. - Top - End - #90

In a PF game, I implemented the called shot mechanic. Seemed decent enough, it had clear rules, I did some minor tweakings here and there but otherwise were the rules as is.

The group's alchemist/barbarian then decided he wanted to do called-shots to the eye.

With horses.

MAGIC, n. An art of converting superstition into coin. There are other arts serving the same high purpose, but the discreet lexicographer does not name them.

Taken from The Devil's Dictionary

Spoiler
    Show
    My Warmage Guidebook (notice I said Guidebook, not Handbook), still in the works.

Pathfinder's Inquisitor Handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    And they only speak barbarian tongues, which naturally consists of saying "bar bar bar" over and over again.