New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default An unusual Gestalt build.

So, I have a buddy wanting to play a Dragonkin Artificer//Dragonfire Adept.
    Obviously, there are some optimal routes here, but we're specifically just doing whack things here.
    But.
    We're having some confusion. None of us have seen either of these classes in play before, so we don't know a lot of what to do.
    Now, we did find janusjones' DFA handbook, and it's immensely helpful.
    But with artificer, we don't know what to do.
    It seems like the class is fairly self sufficient, should we put the RHD on the artificer side? Then just take Forge ring at 12/15?

This would allow him to focus his feat selection more on DFA, which is his main schtick (hence the race).
    Last edited by PraxisVetli; 2014-08-11 at 04:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    What legacy do we leave, after all, but those quotes that others have sigged?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jergmo View Post
    What do you do when you fight an undead that turns into a spider that's filled with spiders that turns into spiders after trapping you in magical webbing? You scream, and you never stop.
    'Prax' is fine.

Take your forklift safety seriously, kids. You'll lose, every time.

2. - Top - End - #2

Lizardfolk

Default Re: An unusual Gestalt build.

Also, are there any prestige classes that progress DFA? My google-fu turned up negative, but maybe I didn't know what to look for?
    What do you do when you fight an undead that turns into a spider that's filled with spiders that turns into spiders after trapping you in magical webbing? You scream, and you never stop.
    'Prax' is fine.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Anything that progresses Arcane Spellcasting should progress DFA's invocations in the same manner it would for a warlock. There aren't any PrCs that directly progress the breath weapon though.

A 1 level dip into Heir of Syberis is still a possible consideration, as it will improve the Breath of Syberis Dragonmarked feat, making it add 2d6 to the breath weapon instead of 1d6. That 2d6 really gets impressive when used in conjunction with Tiamat's Fivefold Breath, giving a total of 10d6 bonus damage.

4. - Top - End - #4

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    Anything that progresses Arcane Spellcasting should progress DFA's invocations in the same manner it would for a warlock. There aren't any PrCs that directly progress the breath weapon though.

A 1 level dip into Heir of Syberis is still a possible consideration, as it will improve the Breath of Syberis Dragonmarked feat, making it add 2d6 to the breath weapon instead of 1d6. That 2d6 really gets impressive when used in conjunction with Tiamat's Fivefold Breath, giving a total of 10d6 bonus damage.
    Where is that?
    'Prax' is fine.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

In the sidebar at the bottom of page 24 of Dragon Magic it discusses the advancement of a the DFA adept in prestige classes. Invocations known are increased and so is breath weapon damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Cleric: "You siphon power from a water spirit?"

Binder: "I was into tributaries before they were mainstream."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PraxisVetli View Post
    Where is that?
    The PrC is in Eberron Campaign Setting pg. 80. It may need some slight alterations for a non Eberron game. I'm not 100% sure on the feat. They're both from Eberron though.

Edit: The feat is from an Eberron Setting book called Dragonmarked. It took me a bit to find it.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2014-08-11 at 07:07 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by ThatKreacher View Post
    In the sidebar at the bottom of page 24 of Dragon Magic it discusses the advancement of a the DFA adept in prestige classes. Invocations known are increased and so is breath weapon damage.
    Duly Noted!!
    Off to go read that..
    The PrC is in Eberron Campaign Setting pg. 80. It may need some slight alterations for a non Eberron game. I'm not 100% sure on the feat. They're both from Eberron though.

Edit: The feat is from an Eberron Setting book called Dragonmarked. It took me a bit to find it.
    Right on, I'll check that out too!

Okay. So, upon reading the sidebar, What classes are suggested?
    Though the way I look at it, I don't know that any are particularly necessary..?
    Last edited by PraxisVetli; 2014-08-11 at 07:28 PM.
    'Prax' is fine.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Honestly, I don't recommend taking many levels of PrCs for a DFA. It's hard to match the benefit of Tiamat's Fivefold Breath late game, and you won't get breath effects from PrCs.

9. - Top - End - #9

Lizardfolk

Honestly, I don't recommend taking many levels of PrCs for a DFA. It's hard to match the benefit of Tiamat's Fivefold Breath late game, and you won't get breath effects from PrCs.
    That's what I was seeing too.
    So then.. If he just goes Rhd7/Artificer13//DFA20, is that fine?
    It's just rare to see such a simple build it seems.
    'Prax' is fine.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sure that's fine, and simplicity and elegance are great, but it won't hurt if you/he wants to take up to 5 levels of PrCs (especially at levels 16-20) on the DFA side, if you can find some interesting dips. Since you can pick up the biggest baddest breath effect at 15.

Taking a dip into Heir of Siberys I mentioned earlier and a dip into Mindbender for telepathy and the Mindsight feat are potentially interesting options, for example, but they're not strictly going to be total straight improvements.