New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: OOTS #960 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    Well, sometimes good points or interesting speculation are raised.

It does seem like the most recent threads have been getting more and more readily derailed, though. :/
    I've said before that I think it directly relates to the time between strips coming out. Eventually pretty much everyone that has something relevant to say about the comic itself has said it, and so the only people with a reason to keep posting in the thread are those arguing about something.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I've said before that I think it directly relates to the time between strips coming out. Eventually pretty much everyone that has something relevant to say about the comic itself has said it, and so the only people with a reason to keep posting in the thread are those arguing about something.
    That's certainly part of it. Any sufficiently lengthy internet discussion will eventually tangent itself into talking about cats.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Is there even a point to having dedicated strip discussion threads?
    Sometimes things go okay, especially if there is a short time between strips. Although, a lot of times discussion about the comic winds up in new threads or in pre-existing threads, which kind of makes the question worth asking.

Peelee’s Lotsey

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

What can we say anyway?

How much awesome do you think Belkar is? Cause i think he is very awesome... and if you don't think that way he's gonna stab you!!
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

5. - Top - End - #335
    Banned

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    Thog has multiple personalities??

Quick! We must determine who the other personalities are!
    Several of them are puppies.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Any sufficiently lengthy internet discussion will eventually tangent itself into talking about cats.
    Or puppies.

6. - Top - End - #336

I guess we're done here than. We're now talking about cats and puppies.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I guess we're done here than. We're now talking about cats and puppies.
    It should be obvious which is inherently superior. tortoises

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

8. - Top - End - #338

DruidGirl

And so it begins....

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I was going to go with catpuppies myself.

Peelee’s Lotsey

10. - Top - End - #340
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I was going to go with catpuppies myself.
    Puppycats. (This is a super apt description of the breed... I had one—picked up from the SPCA—strange chocolate-lab color, and I was calling him "puppy cat" long before I found such descriptions in the web)

11. - Top - End - #341
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I think that the Linear Guild as whole is dead, since Nale and Zz'dtri are (hopefully permanently dead). However, I am sort of hoping that Sabine or maybe another member of the guild pops up again (except maybe Hilgya).
    I thought that it was almost a certainty that she would show back up. She and Durkula are now priests of the same god. There is also that matter of the prophesy ie: Durkon bringing disaster to the Dwarven people when he returns. I can't see her missing out on that.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Skull the Troll View Post
    She and Durkula are now priests of the same god.
    What? When did Loki and Hel become the same person!?

13. - Top - End - #343
    Pixie in the Playground

unless Sabine has some subplot where she tries to get Nale and co resurrected.
    As much as I've been lurking, I still find it surprising that I haven't seen anyone suggest that Sabine's dusting in #918 was her collecting Nale's ashes for a future resurrection.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Kevium View Post
    As much as I've been lurking, I still find it surprising that I haven't seen anyone suggest that Sabine's dusting in #918 was her collecting Nale's ashes for a future resurrection.
    I suspect the fact that she's dusting on an entirely different plane of existence from the one Nale was disintegrated on has something to do with that.

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I've seen it suggested once, but it makes little sense. She was in Hell and Nale's ashes were up in the desert in a plane she was banished from for 24 hours. She was just sweeping up the remains of the smashed TV that she broke.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

16. - Top - End - #346
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

With all the other crazy theories of this forum, I'm also surprised not to have seen it mentioned while I have been here. It doesn't make much sense, but that's almost par for course here.
    Last edited by Jaxzan Proditor; 2014-08-22 at 10:20 PM.

Peelee’s Lotsey

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    I've seen it suggested once, but it makes little sense. She was in Hell and Nale's ashes were up in the desert in a plane she was banished from for 24 hours. She was just sweeping up the remains of the smashed TV that she broke.
    Huh. Now I'm wondering what the going rates for a multi-planar janitorial service are, and if dustpans and brooms that operate across planar boundaries can be rented.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Huh. Now I'm wondering what the going rates for a multi-planar janitorial service are, and if dustpans and brooms that operate across planar boundaries can be rented.
    They can, but the rates are out of this world.

Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    The axe is almost certainly the best weapon he has, but it got blown up along with the pyramid and I'm guessing nobody in the Order knows how to use a whip.
    Bards get free whip proficiency, and only bards among the core classes for that matter. So Elan could use it. Also thematic for him and it's a finessable weapon meaning he could disarm well with it.

I don't think others will blow a feat to use it even if the Order has done such a thing before. It's not merely the matter of one feat, but also specialization in ability scores, existing feats and equipment they have that go in entirely different directions. So it would be a far greater cost than one feat. Roy could use it well enough as a secondary weapon after blowing a feat on proficiency. But for a secondary tactic zero feat cost sounds a lot better.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2014-08-24 at 07:59 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Bards get free whip proficiency, and only bards among the core classes for that matter. So Elan could use it. Also thematic for him and it's a finessable weapon meaning he could disarm well with it.

I don't think others will blow a feat to use it even if the Order has done such a thing before. It's not merely the matter of one feat, but also specialization in ability scores, existing feats and equipment they have that go in entirely different directions. So it would be a far greater cost than one feat. Roy could use it well enough as a secondary weapon after blowing a feat on proficiency. But for a secondary tactic zero feat cost sounds a lot better.
    I could see Elan using it, but only if its a magical whip. If it isn't magical, he could have gotten one anywhere, but since he hasn't that says to me he has little interest in using it for... I dunno, whatever a bard uses a whip for.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

21. - Top - End - #351

SamuraiGuy

I could see Elan using it, but only if its a magical whip. If it isn't magical, he could have gotten one anywhere, but since he hasn't that says to me he has little interest in using it for... I dunno, whatever a bard uses a whip for.
    It belonged to Tarquin. Based on the rest of his equipment, it's probably no less than a +3 or chock full of other crazy abilities.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

Disarming weapons and objects from a safe distance: e.g., holy symbols required to cast many divine spells, poorly secured spell component pouches required to cast many arcane spells, the many many plot important items the order has run into. If he had a high strength he could trip with it too, but Elan is pretty much limited to tripping kobolds. There are feats that make it even better at these, but the long reach means no immediate counter-attack means a bard can easily pick up a random whip as a secondary weapon to use against easy disarm/trip targets without any real feat investment. Plus "easy disarm target" includes anyone with light weapons, ranged weapons, and random objects. Even strong foes. Especially if Elan yanks it away with both hands. D&D gives massive bonuses for that.

And ya it is probably enchanted up the wazoo with who knows what.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2014-08-24 at 12:16 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

23. - Top - End - #353

I don't know about Bards, but a Dashing Swordsman might appreciate bringing his own rope to dramatic windows
    A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, impose mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.

Tragak's Planar Reconstruction Archive (current active project: Acheron)

Avatar Credit goes to: Chd. Thank you!

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Yeah, given A. How fitting a whip is for both a Bard and a Dashing Swordsman, B. How little use it got when Tarquin was fighting (he used it to toss V around some, but that's not much play comparatively) and C. The fact that V was clearly shown with the whip when Laurin was disarmed makes me think that Elan is very, very likely to get that whip.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

I thought that it was almost a certainty that she would show back up. She and Durkula are now priests of the same god. There is also that matter of the prophesy ie: Durkon bringing disaster to the Dwarven people when he returns. I can't see her missing out on that.
    Um, she's a priest of Loki. Durkon (the vampire) is the only priest of Hel there is.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2014-08-24 at 11:52 PM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

26. - Top - End - #356

You might be wrong on account of the whole Loki and Hel thing but Loki is a god of chaos and destruction or something along those lines. If it means taking out Thor they might team up against him maybe? It all depends how seriously are Thor and Loki enemies are they enemies or enemies?
    Quote Originally Posted by Koo Rehtorb View Post
    I hear Rich Burlew grinds people's bones to make his bread.

Maybe someday I'll say something clever enough to be sigged, nah probably not

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheMiningDwarf View Post
    You might be wrong on account of the whole Loki and Hel thing but Loki is a god of chaos and destruction or something along those lines. If it means taking out Thor they might team up against him maybe? It all depends how seriously are Thor and Loki enemies are they enemies or enemies?
    Comparing Thor's scenes with Loki and with Hel, it definitely seems like he can get along with Loki, whereas Hel seems to passionately hate him. A team up could happen, but I don't think it will.

Peelee’s Lotsey

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

There's probably a limit to how far we can get into this while remaining within the forum rules, but Loki's relationship with the Aesir/Vanir is generally pretty complicated (preserved, albeit in an odd way, in the Marvel film version) and I've always found it really interesting. He has a relationship with them that veers between friendly and overtly antagonistic; he's broadly speaking "on their side" but has his own agenda (usually "for the lulz"); he solves most of their problems, but also causes most of them; he's one of Odin's best mates, but it's not entirely clear why given he clearly can't be trusted; he lives among them but is not one of them, and almost actively resists becoming so.

If I remember rightly the 3.0 rules listed him as Chaotic Evil, which is probably accurate, but Chaotic is definitely the dominant feature there and you could almost make an argument for CN at times. An alliance between him and Thor would be perfectly reasonable and feasible (assuming the OOtS version follows the normal conventions of that pantheon - indeed Thor and Loki canonically had a couple of adventures together), so long as Thor goes into it aware that Loki will abandon/backstab/Gilligan him if it works to his advantage, he's bored, etc.

That said, iirc canonically Hel is Loki's daughter? That might affect the likelihood of a team-up.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    There's probably a limit to how far we can get into this while remaining within the forum rules, but Loki's relationship with the Aesir/Vanir is generally pretty complicated (preserved, albeit in an odd way, in the Marvel film version) and I've always found it really interesting. He has a relationship with them that veers between friendly and overtly antagonistic; he's broadly speaking "on their side" but has his own agenda (usually "for the lulz"); he solves most of their problems, but also causes most of them; he's one of Odin's best mates, but it's not entirely clear why given he clearly can't be trusted; he lives among them but is not one of them, and almost actively resists becoming so.

If I remember rightly the 3.0 rules listed him as Chaotic Evil, which is probably accurate, but Chaotic is definitely the dominant feature there and you could almost make an argument for CN at times. An alliance between him and Thor would be perfectly reasonable and feasible (assuming the OOtS version follows the normal conventions of that pantheon - indeed Thor and Loki canonically had a couple of adventures together), so long as Thor goes into it aware that Loki will abandon/backstab/Gilligan him if it works to his advantage, he's bored, etc.

That said, iirc canonically Hel is Loki's daughter? That might affect the likelihood of a team-up.
    Loki fathered and/or mothered a lot of things. That doesn't necessarily mean much, especially because Loki in the myths was not a "true" god at all but some sort of weird giant god hybrid thing for no particular reason. Since that's pretty clearly not the case in OOTS, I doubt the origin myths conform very tightly, if at all, to the source mythology.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2014-08-25 at 08:24 AM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ettin in the Playground

Thor and Loki in OOTS always felt more like a friendly rivalry. If anything I can see a team-up with those 2 to stop Hel.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)