New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: OOTS #960 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-Atreids View Post
    I am pretty sure that belkar has become neutral quite a while ago
    I very much doubt that. Even if you had said "recently" I would still disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    A nice little bit about this strip. People have, rightly, pointed out V's lovely sarcastic 'what an unprecedented development' jab. What I haven't seen commented on was Belkar saying in response, more or less, "fair point". If grumpily.

A small attention to detail, but one I appreciated.
    Huh, didn't even notice that. That is a nice detail.

Peelee’s Lotsey

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    You live an aesthetically blessed life.
    Thanks, I needed a signature.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Hypothetical explanation: good-aligned people are more likely to lend the benefit of the doubt, in charity, because they think of other people as innately good. Meanwhile, evil-aligned people think that everyone's really just a scumbag with varying amounts of facade.

You see a reflection of yourself in others.
    I think it has more to do with life experience than alignment per se.

Consider : Haley is untrusting -- or at least she started that way -- because she grew up in an environment where telling the truth was a death sentence. But this doesn't stop her from doing right by people, or sacrificing her own diamond for the sake of someone else. That's why she's chaotic good.

Elan is -- or at least he started this way -- totally trusting, a naive child. He did NOT grow up in Greysky city. He grew up as the son of a cheerful, outgoing woman from whom being open, polite, and friendly to everyone was an asset. So Elan has very little in the way of deceit in his body.

Roy, ironically, is a bit like Tarquin. He doesn't care much for team jerseys. He instead seeks out particular individuals who earn his trust and, once earned, sticks with them regardless of their alignment or their goals in life.

That's why he trusts Durkon. I strongly doubt he'd be so trusting of a vampire he just met. But Durkon is Durkon, and Roy will stick with him regardless of vital status or alignment. Just as he stuck with Belkar, even when Belkar showed his evil colors and murdered Azure City guards.

So I suspect trustfulness is more an artifact of whether the person in question grew up in a threatening environment than their alignment. Obviously evil people in a good society have to be a little bit deceptive, or they will be outcast, driven out and hunted down. But I wonder if the reverse wouldn't hold true in the usually evil goblin society -- whether a goblin which chose to harbor good sympathies and actions would have to conceal it, dressing up in a black cloak and only pretending to drink the blood of the innocent, for example.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Roy's philosophy of "Belkar is always wrong or lying, no matter what evidence is to the contrary" is going to bite him SO HARD in the ass.

But when it happens, he will spend his time saying, "This wasn't because I distrusted Belkar."
    You are presuming that Ridureyu is trying to be a troll.

I tend to think of him more as a Performance Artist, myself.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    Roy's philosophy of "Belkar is always wrong or lying, no matter what evidence is to the contrary" is going to bite him SO HARD in the ass.

But when it happens, he will spend his time saying, "This wasn't because I distrusted Belkar."
    I would think that Durkula would be a walking, talking reminder of the last time Roy refused to believe something Belkar said.

6. - Top - End - #156

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Oo! Groovy new weapon. But will he be able to weild that in addition to a normal dagger? I mean, if it feels weird.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Pleather

Pleather seems to be taking a real beating in here.

As it turns out, I happen to own a pleather jacket in a hybrid bomber/cafe motorcycle racer jacket style. The jacket is rugged as hell, looks EXACTLY like real leather and is even aging realistically. The material is slightly cool to the touch, unlike real leather which feels warm. It is completely waterproof, and stain resistant. It's also warmer than the real thing.

It also cost me $57, which was about $500 less than a comparable real leather jacket.

Sorry. Pleather rocks.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by F.Harr View Post
    Oo! Groovy new weapon. But will he be able to weild that in addition to a normal dagger? I mean, if it feels weird.
    I think the last panel shows that it'll be fine.

Peelee’s Lotsey

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Pleather

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Non PC View Post
    Pleather seems to be taking a real beating in here.

As it turns out, I happen to own a pleather jacket in a hybrid bomber/cafe motorcycle racer jacket style. The jacket is rugged as hell, looks EXACTLY like real leather and is even aging realistically. The material is slightly cool to the touch, unlike real leather which feels warm. It is completely waterproof, and stain resistant. It's also warmer than the real thing.

It also cost me $57, which was about $500 less than a comparable real leather jacket.

Sorry. Pleather rocks.
    Won't someone please think of the poor naugas!?

Spoiler: Naugas
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm glad the Giant explained how Tarquin could kill Nale so easily with a dagger. Makes me wonder what his axe could do!

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, definitely. You can see he's really setting himself up here.

By the way, on an unrelated topic, why is the threadicon for this thread so snarly ? It seems more like this would be appropriate for such a funny strip.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

The comic is funny but Belkar is ragey.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

13. - Top - End - #163
    Halfling in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I know that OotS makes anachronistic references all the time, but I do wonder how they could create plastic.
    Not a fan of threads with sensational titles that give you zero idea of what the topic is. Thread names should be informative, not fishing for views.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MagicalMeat View Post
    I know that OotS makes anachronistic references all the time, but I do wonder how they could create plastic.
    Obviously Tarquin used a ring of wishes to wish for a stylish wrap for his dagger. His wisdom is just low enough that he phrased it poorly.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

He obviously picked it up at the local Aberzombie & Fitch store. It's in many of the same shopping malls as Quest Buy, don'tcha know.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-08-13 at 05:40 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eh, could simply be an alchemic facsimile.

Really, more and more I find periodic references to "high" technology in a "medieval" setting bothers me less and less as time goes on. I think so long as it isn't such that it's radically out of place that it can't be resolved against the setting I'm alright with it in limited doses. Here, though, it's more just humor than an anachro--... well, no anachronism isn't really accurate, but a straight faced breach of the established setting.
    I like to art!

17. - Top - End - #167

RedKnightGirl

I'll let you know when I stop giggling to myself.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It could be worse; it could have magic trains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Oh, definitely. You can see he's really setting himself up here.

By the way, on an unrelated topic, why is the threadicon for this thread so snarly ? It seems more like this would be appropriate for such a funny strip.
    Sometimes the smiley is random.

Peelee’s Lotsey

19. - Top - End - #169
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Mordenkainen's magical wrap?

20. - Top - End - #170

I think it's important that this is more a case of "Belkar is wrong" than "Belkar is lying." You can trust someone and still think they're wrong about important things. And the end of the last chapter showed us repeatedly that Roy's trust in Belkar has increased--not to the extent that Roy trusts Haley, say, but it's a little better than before. I might even make an argument that Roy now trusts Belkar almost as much as he should, but for personal reasons is just blowing it on this particular issue.

Roy's a smart guy. I am hopeful that he will have a chance to come around on this before Durkula betrays them.

Edit: though the fact that Roy believed the story about "Belkar jumped overboard on his own" does present a problem for my point of view.
    Last edited by Bird; 2014-08-13 at 10:57 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171

GreataxeFighterGuy

Actually, in retrospect, I could totally see plastic as some bizarre material like Mithril or something, but the way V casually dismissed it suggests abundance.

I am totally overthinking this.
    Not a fan of threads with sensational titles that give you zero idea of what the topic is. Thread names should be informative, not fishing for views.

22. - Top - End - #172

A nice little bit about this strip. People have, rightly, pointed out V's lovely sarcastic 'what an unprecedented development' jab. What I haven't seen commented on was Belkar saying in response, more or less, "fair point". If grumpily.

A small attention to detail, but one I appreciated.
    A good line, and one that's quite in character for Belkar. He often acknowledges what a little bastard he is. For all his faults, he has few illusions about what people think of him.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I love how Roy is, once again, showing off his wonderful rope-pulling skills.

Peelee’s Lotsey

24. - Top - End - #174
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    No, Durkon merits investigating because he is not Durkon yet claims to be...
    ...which is a fact that is true, but also a fact that no one (including Belkar) knows or has any reasonable grounds to suspect.

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    ...which is a fact that is true, but also a fact that no one (including Belkar) knows or has any reasonable grounds to suspect.
    Belkar has good reasons to suspect, although he doesn't have proof.

"He is a vampire" is a quite good reason to be suspicious. Nobody claiming that "Durkon is still Durkon" or "he is someone different" has met a robust burden of proof. Durkula is evil--he admits as much--so it is obvious that a more-than-superficial change has occurred. It is quite reasonable to suspect the possibility that more-than-superficial change (including an alignment swap) = different person.

Durkula also made the flimsy case that he only drained Belkar because he was ordered to, which Belkar found a hole in. (Maybe Belkar's logic wasn't sound, but Durkula didn't seem to be playing straight, either.)

On the same page, Belkar made a general point about how character development isn't instantaneous, which I think synchs up well with a point The Giant wants to make, and seems to be a valid inference about how the OotS universe operates.
    Last edited by Bird; 2014-08-13 at 06:25 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I love how Roy is, once again, showing off his wonderful rope-pulling skills.
    Hah, nice catch.

Why is everyone giving Roy (and the order) such a hard time for not figuring Durkon out already? I mean, I wonder what people were saying back when Nale was impersonating Elan. I was half expecting Haley to play the "I would never mistake the one I love" trope back then, not to mention Nale wasn't doing half the act Durkula is doing now.

But maybe we have higher expectations for them, now.

27. - Top - End - #177

Actually, the first plastics were made with plant esters. Which I can totally see Laurin doing, just to make elves and druids cry about the poor mutilated plants.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Necris Omega View Post
    Eh, could simply be an alchemic facsimile.

Really, more and more I find periodic references to "high" technology in a "medieval" setting bothers me less and less as time goes on. I think so long as it isn't such that it's radically out of place that it can't be resolved against the setting I'm alright with it in limited doses. Here, though, it's more just humor than an anachro--... well, no anachronism isn't really accurate, but a straight faced breach of the established setting.
    The comic breaches the setting about every other comic anyway. The time that occurs to me most obviously is Qarr's comment "pull the other one, it plays Judas Priest". Heck, this isn't even the first time we've seen faux leather - Redcloak put the fake phylactery in some. Swanky!

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

A Collision weapon is almost strangely optimized for Belkar, who makes his living based on vast numbers of dinky attacks with his two-weapon fighting and greater two-weapon-fighting. His main hand attacks become far less dinky, which means he can do more to single big bad guys as opposed to mopping up on scads of little ones. It's very good for our favorite SSGoW.

30. - Top - End - #180

Quote Originally Posted by breathandpaper View Post
    Hah, nice catch.

Why is everyone giving Roy (and the order) such a hard time for not figuring Durkon out already? I mean, I wonder what people were saying back when Nale was impersonating Elan. I was half expecting Haley to play the "I would never mistake the one I love" trope back then, not to mention Nale wasn't doing half the act Durkula is doing now.

But maybe we have higher expectations for them, now.
    Hmm. Nale had the advantage that, except for whatever slip-ups he had ("Right you are, Belkon"), no one had a reason to be suspicious of him. Plus, strange/erratic behavior is expected from Elan, making him easier to impersonate. On the other hand, Durkula has the advantage that differences in his behavior and personality can be partially explained away by the fact that he's a vampire.