New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Banned

Default Re: [PF] ACG is now out! What strikes your eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    For what it's worth, I relatively like Enora's character design...she's not twisted around into brokeback poses in the art.
    Her pose is actually quite bizarre. Her right hip is cocked out and her let foot is pointed; to me this suggests that her right leg is actually bent and her left extended under her robes, like a dancer. It is actually possible to hold such a pose for a long time (I've done it), so it's not as bad as it could have been, but it's not exactly an "at ease" pose either.

(...she's definitely a wizard.)
    Word.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Her pose is actually quite bizarre. Her right hip is cocked out and her let foot is pointed; to me this suggests that her right leg is actually bent and her left extended under her robes, like a dancer. It is actually possible to hold such a pose for a long time (I've done it), so it's not as bad as it could have been, but it's not exactly an "at ease" pose either.
    True, but I can give it some slack because it's obviously to show her foot so we know she's a halfling rather than just a short human: Definitely better ways of accomplishing that.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Banned

True, but I can give it some slack because it's obviously to show her foot so we know she's a halfling rather than just a short human: Definitely better ways of accomplishing that.
    Fair enough.

As far as "better ways" go, the first that comes to mind is shortening the hem of her robe. She comes from the desert and likes exploring swamps; unless the Rahadoumi government is really strict in its dress code (and who knows, it might be!), there's no reason for her to have that long a hem.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

Prestidigitation is an at-will, so would she care?
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'm not seeing the issue really. Arcane casters have Prestidigitation and Divine casters have Create Water. Every starting adventurer's kit includes soap, and you probably aren't in the desert or the plane of fire at level 1. So stanky adventurers shouldn't be a problem for most parties.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #756
    Titan in the Playground

Don't you know that bathing is unhealthy? It exposed the pours to miasmic air.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Bugbear in the Playground

Prestidigitation is an at-will, so would she care?
    Well, there's always the issue of tripping over it.
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by malonkey1 View Post
    Well, there's always the issue of tripping over it.
    Well, the halfing has +2 dex, so that makes it easier. The robe is small and the character is small, so any other bonuses or penalties should balance out.

Next you'll be telling me that these heels are impractical.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-08-24 at 07:40 PM.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bhaakon View Post
    Don't you know that bathing is unhealthy? It exposed the pours to miasmic air.
    Air is poisonous don't you know.
    It has a near 100% fatality rate.
    Everyone who has ever lived has either died from exposure to air, or it currently suffering from exposure to air.

10. - Top - End - #760

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Air is poisonous don't you know.
    It has a near 100% fatality rate.
    Everyone who has ever lived has either died from exposure to air, or it currently suffering from exposure to air.
    Actually, Oxygen is a pretty wild chemical, and it can screw things up if you don't get enough antioxidants. Google "Free Radicals". I'm sure that's not what you meant, though.
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

11. - Top - End - #761

Hm. Crimson Mantis gets slightly less MAD with Swash 1 as part of your entry and Slashing Grace (Sawtooth) at 5.

Still not a very great class, but still nice.

Also: Mutagenic Warrior and Daring Champion don't have any clause about subbing you fighter/cavalier levels for alchemist/swashbuckler levels... so Fighter gets 0 minute wings and Daring Champion gets a 0 damage precise strike.
    Last edited by squiggit; 2014-08-24 at 09:59 PM.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Really pretty late to the party here in this thread, but having just got the book and looking through it... Pathfinder can now support a Four Heavenly Kings* party.

You have
    • A Brawler with Pummeling style and Boar Style (Toriko)
      A White-Haired Witch (Sunny)
      An Investigator with heavy poison specialization (Coco)
      And last but not least, a Skald with as many sonic damage abilities as you can stack (Zebra or Zebura depending on translation)

Damn... now I really wish more of my friends were into that show, I totally want to play that now.

*From the Manga Toriko

13. - Top - End - #763

So, after perusal and giving it about a week to simmer, I have come to the conclusion that despite several nice gems, the book is also full of stupid full of oversights.

I mean, the Bolt Ace still gets a gun and Gunsmithing at 1st level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by squiggit View Post
    Hm. Crimson Mantis gets slightly less MAD with Swash 1 as part of your entry and Slashing Grace (Sawtooth) at 5.

Still not a very great class, but still nice.
    That's what I find most fascinating about some of these classes: They bring new considerations and abilities to old prestige classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Talentless View Post
    Really pretty late to the party here in this thread, but having just got the book and looking through it... Pathfinder can now support a Four Heavenly Kings* party.

You have
    • A Brawler with Pummeling style and Boar Style (Toriko)
      A White-Haired Witch (Sunny)
      An Investigator with heavy poison specialization (Coco)
      And last but not least, a Skald with as many sonic damage abilities as you can stack (Zebra or Zebura depending on translation)

Damn... now I really wish more of my friends were into that show, I totally want to play that now.

*From the Manga Toriko
    I had the strangest and strongest sense of deja vu while reading this post. I could almost swear I've seen this exact before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    That's what I find most fascinating about some of these classes: They bring new considerations and abilities to old prestige classes.

I had the strangest and strongest sense of deja vu while reading this post. I could almost swear I've seen this exact before.
    If so i apologize, i used the search thread function, then skimmed it. Still might of missed it

Still, was my initial strikes my eyes thoughts when browsing the book itself, so i suppose that counts for the thread?

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Talentless View Post
    If so i apologize, i used the search thread function, then skimmed it. Still might of missed it

Still, was my initial strikes my eyes thoughts when browsing the book itself, so i suppose that counts for the thread?
    No, no. I didn't mean that I thought you'd copied from somewhere else, seeing your post just brought a very strong sense of deja vu. It's a feeling like I've seen something from a half-remembered dream.

At any rate, the evil little gears in my head are starting to turn, and I'd like to throw out an idea for an Eldritch Knight build for review.

Bloodrager 1
    Blade Adept Arcanist 6
    Eldritch Knight X

What brings this together are the Spell Strike (for obvious reasons) and the Eldritch Blade exploits. Eldritch Blade allows a character to use one's caster level rather than class level to determine the abilities of the Black Blade. So you should be getting every level here to count towards said Black Blade.

Now, it's entirely possible that this doesn't work that way. I've never been entirely clear on how to determine caster level, especially when it comes to classes like the Bloodrager that only get spells later in their careers.

Now, if all that works, all we have to do is find some feat that allows bloodcasting with non-Bloodrager spells, and we'll have some kind of super-gish...I'm only half-joking, btw. Part of me expects there to be a feat like that somewhere in this book.
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ogre in the Playground

At any rate, the evil little gears in my head are starting to turn, and I'd like to throw out an idea for an Eldritch Knight build for review.

Bloodrager 1
    Blade Adept Arcanist 6
    Eldritch Knight X

What brings this together are the Spell Strike (for obvious reasons) and the Eldritch Blade exploits. Eldritch Blade allows a character to use one's caster level rather than class level to determine the abilities of the Black Blade. So you should be getting every level here to count towards said Black Blade.

Now, it's entirely possible that this doesn't work that way. I've never been entirely clear on how to determine caster level, especially when it comes to classes like the Bloodrager that only get spells later in their careers.
    Caster levels from two caster classes never stack, so your ECL for the purposes of your Black Blade would be your arcanist levels + (1 - your eldritch knight levels). Simply put, this isn't very good: That bloodrager level isn't given you anything, and you're too far behind on your casting *and* your BAB progression to be competitive as a gish.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

I concur. Unless you ignore the Outsider FAQ, Eldritch Knight isn't worth entering.

Is there an extra exploit feat? I kind of want to do Aasimar Blade Adept 3/EK10 sometime.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

I concur. Unless you ignore the Outsider FAQ, Eldritch Knight isn't worth entering.
    You can qualify for Eldritch Knight with Scryer 1 and a class that gets all martial weapons. There is a FAQ that specifies SLAs qualify for prestige classes like EK and Mystic Theurge.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ibtfu View Post
    You can qualify for Eldritch Knight with Scryer 1 and a class that gets all martial weapons. There is a FAQ that specifies SLAs qualify for prestige classes like EK and Mystic Theurge.
    I do believe the "class that gets all martial weapons" is the (Snowbluff's) main problem here. As it will pretty much NEVER contribute to your Casting.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there an extra exploit feat?
    Yes, it's called "Extra Arcanist Exploit."

22. - Top - End - #772
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Here's one of my favorites: the Bloodrager and Eldritch Scion magus can both cast arcane spells without preparation, which qualifies them for Dragon Disciple.

Who wouldn't want to trade 2 levels of bloodrager casting for +4 Str, +3 natural armor, and blindsense. Yes, you lose some rage progression, but the +4 always-on Str boost balances out the +4 situational Str boost you lose by not advancing bloodrage.
    Last edited by Arutema; 2014-08-25 at 02:29 AM.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    I mean, the Bolt Ace still gets a gun and Gunsmithing at 1st level.
    This particular fact has baffled me since I first read the archetype. I mean, I believe that this is exactly what crossbows needed, but it could have been slightly more thought out. My plan at my table is to replace the firearm proficiencies with all crossbow proficiencies, and probably give rapid reload at level one as a bonus feat à la musket master.

Quote Originally Posted by Arutema View Post
    Here's one of my favorites: the Bloodrager and Eldritch Scion magus can both cast arcane spells without preparation, which qualifies them for Dragon Disciple.
    Significantly less useful and, in my mind, more entertaining: one can argue that the spell sage wizard qualifies for Dragon Disciple.
    Last edited by Orsyn; 2014-08-25 at 03:58 AM.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I do believe the "class that gets all martial weapons" is the (Snowbluff's) main problem here. As it will pretty much NEVER contribute to your Casting.
    That's what the Magical Knack trait is for. It makes up for your lost CL from the melee class and EK1. Unless the martial side is a problem for a different reason.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Caster levels from two caster classes never stack, so your ECL for the purposes of your Black Blade would be your arcanist levels + (1 - your eldritch knight levels). Simply put, this isn't very good: That bloodrager level isn't given you anything, and you're too far behind on your casting *and* your BAB progression to be competitive as a gish.
    What's the point of this exploit, then?

Also, the "classic" Gish is a fighter/wizard with a BAB of 15 and a CL of 18. I'm pretty sure that even taking lack of caster level into account, Bloodrager/Arcanist is keeping up just fine, and it still has access to spells a Magus will never learn, while stealing the Magus's Spellstrike ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Suichimo View Post
    That's what the Magical Knack trait is for. It makes up for your lost CL from the melee class and EK1. Unless the martial side is a problem for a different reason.
    And the problem is solved with a single trait. Figures.

Quite a few classes now get martial weapon proficiency, so that requirement hasn't exactly exactly gotten more difficult with time. The Warpriest, the Skald, the Hunter, the Slayer and the Swashbuckler can all potentially be used to qualify for EK.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

What's the point of this exploit, then?
    It lets your Black Blade scale with your caster level, rather than your Arcanist level. An Arcanist3/EK10 would count as level 12, and has a +3 enhancement.
    Also, the "classic" Gish is a fighter/wizard with a BAB of 15 and a CL of 18. I'm pretty sure that even taking lack of caster level into account, Bloodrager/Arcanist is keeping up just fine, and it still has access to spells a Magus will never learn, while stealing the Magus's Spellstrike ability.
    BAB 16 and CL 17 is the goal for a wizard gish.

Quite a few classes now get martial weapon proficiency, so that requirement hasn't exactly exactly gotten more difficult with time. The Warpriest, the Skald, the Hunter, the Slayer and the Swashbuckler can all potentially be used to qualify for EK.
    You're already 2 levels behind with EK and playing an arcanist. It's harsh.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-08-25 at 08:20 AM.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Aasimar or Tiefling would get you all Martial weapons. That's if you go by the "Proficient with all simple and martial weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry." in the outsiders traits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genzodus View Post
    Gentlemen, you're thinking too small. Halfling wielding 2 lances riding a Thri-keen wielding 4 lances riding an awakened giant octopus wielding 8 lances riding an awakened triceratops whose horns count as 3 lances for a total of 17 lances. Any smaller than that, and you're not going to hit; any larger, and you're not going to fit indoors.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Codenpeg View Post
    Aasimar or Tiefling would get you all Martial weapons. That's if you go by the "Proficient with all simple and martial weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry." in the outsiders traits.
    Not according to the FAQ/Devs. D:
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-08-25 at 09:25 AM.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

BAB 16 and CL 17 is the goal for a wizard gish.

You're already 2 levels behind with EK and playing an arcanist. It's harsh.
    BAB 16 and CL 17 can be achieved with a Sorcerer, so I'm pretty sure it can be done with an Arcanist, too. It really doesn't seem all that harsh by comparison. And with the aforementioned trait, your CL becomes 19, you still have a free scaling magic weapon, and you still have the Magus's Spellstrike. That's two rather potent class features that the wizard is missing out on.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Titan in the Playground

BAB 16 and CL 17 can be achieved with a Sorcerer, so I'm pretty sure it can be done with an Arcanist, too. It really doesn't seem all that harsh by comparison. And with the aforementioned trait, your CL becomes 19, you still have a free scaling magic weapon, and you still have the Magus's Spellstrike. That's two rather potent class features that the wizard is missing out on.
    *shakes head* Nope. It's CL (not just caster level, but spell slots, etc) 18 or sorcs/arcanists for 9th level spells.

AFAICT, spell strike is pretty bad without spell combat...