New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] ACG is now out! What strikes your eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Does that feat give the spells?
    That's what you pick the Trickery domain for. Since it's a 2nd level spell coming from a domain (thus divine), and since per their FAQ rulings a spell-like ability counts as spells for prerequisites, you meet the spell requirement and the domain requirement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

2. - Top - End - #62

The Disheartening Display feat, just in time for my Inquisitor.
    Adaptation of Child of Acavna and Amaznen into a "Spheres Fighter"
    Thank you Ganorenas

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    An Animated Object is a kind of creature. An animated object is a kind of item. So no, you can't apply a template. Unless you were to use animate objects to animate objects into Animated Objects and somehow apply templates while using animate objects to turn animate objects into Animate Objects for your Animated animated Object collection (or perhaps for a friend to watch anime with).

3. - Top - End - #63
    Banned

Okay so I don't have the book but I'd like to ask a question for those that do.

Is the Investigator or it's Archetypes a valid Pathfinder version of the Factotum?

What are the Archetypes of the Wizard, Paladin & the Magus? I don't need detail just the jist

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sayt View Post
    Seize Advantage and the Answering magic weapon property are positively gorgeous, and my desire to play a Serpentfolk Swashbuckler is only rising.

What do these do?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Is the Investigator or it's Archetypes a valid Pathfinder version of the Factotum?
    It depends on your definition of "valid," but I'd say so. Especially if you take the empiricist archetype. I'd say that it's a touch less versatile, but it won't burn through its bag of tricks as quickly.

What are the Archetypes of the Wizard, Paladin & the Magus? I don't need detail just the jist
    Wizard gets an archetype that allows it cast spells from the bard, cleric, or druid list to a very limited extent. The other archetypes borrow complex mechanics from the new classes that can't be explained briefly if you haven't read the book.

Paladin has a archetype that gives it favored terrain and bonus teamwork feats. A second trade spellcasting for a domain with some added powers. I don't think either are that great.

Magus gets spontaneous casting archetype.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2014-08-15 at 12:22 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66

What do these do?
    Seize Advantage lets a Swashbuckler's Riposte benefit from their opponent's power attack damage bonus. Answering weapon gains a +4 enhancement bonus while parry/riposting.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Seize Advantage lets a Swashbuckler's Riposte benefit from their opponent's power attack damage bonus. Answering weapon gains a +4 enhancement bonus while parry/riposting.
    These seem like nice wrenches for the tricky DM toolbox, but a bit too situational for PCs.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Damn, oh well I guess I can wait a month or so.
    You realize they're talking about the PRD and not the PFSRD, right?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Robin R2 View Post
    You realize they're talking about the PRD and not the PFSRD, right?
    That's absolutely true, but we'll see: The PFSRD can be even slower to put up new content than the PRD, at times.

10. - Top - End - #70

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by squiggit View Post
    Ah, technically, Answering increases your weapons enhancement bonus by +4 (to a max of +5), so a +1 Answering is a +5 weapon for parry and ripostes.
    Last edited by Sayt; 2014-08-15 at 02:04 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Spamalot in the Playground

The PFSRD is already starting to add some things, like the Style Feats (Jabbing, Grabbing, Pummeling.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Since I know I'm blind to things like that, could anyone please confirm/disprove that from a mechanical standpoint, Bloodrager's Bloodrage is exactly the same as the normal rage?

-Thanks in advance.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    Since I know I'm blind to things like that, could anyone please confirm/disprove that from a mechanical standpoint, Bloodrager's Bloodrage is exactly the same as the normal rage?

-Thanks in advance.
    In the playtest, bloodrage counts as rage for the purposes of feats, spells, magic items, and class abilities that refer to rage. Can't confirm that this is so in the final book, but I can't conceive of any rational reason why they would change that. (Then again we've already seen dumber changes from the playtest...)

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    In the playtest, bloodrage counts as rage for the purposes of feats, spells, magic items, and class abilities that refer to rage. Can't confirm that this is so in the final book, but I can't conceive of any rational reason why they would change that. (Then again we've already seen dumber changes from the playtest...)
    Yep, just looked it up - it does count as rage.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

15. - Top - End - #75

ACG 16: "Bloodrage counts as the barbarian’s rage class feature for the purpose of feat prerequisites, feat abilities, magic item abilities, and spell effects."

The big difference between the two is that at 4th level, bloodragers can cast while bloodraging.

Also, for the Skald - ACG 49: "A raging song counts as the bard’s bardic performance special ability for any effect that affects bardic performances. A skald may learn bard masterpieces."

Finally, both can cast in medium armor and the skald can cast with a shield while ignoring ASF. (Not sure how this interacts with their need to have a hand free.)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2014-08-15 at 07:57 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh does Skald still have that thing from the bard where even a tower shield wouldn't stop their casting?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Can Human Arcanists still abuse the hell out of the Sorcerer FC bonus?
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

18. - Top - End - #78

Oh does Skald still have that thing from the bard where even a tower shield wouldn't stop their casting?
    Correct, it's the same wording. (Do note though that tower shields work differently in PF.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    Can Human Arcanists still abuse the hell out of the Sorcerer FC bonus?
    Can you elaborate?

There are specific favored class options for the new classes - They are not "alternate classes" of the old ones anymore, so I don't think you can mix and match FC bonuses.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2014-08-15 at 08:53 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #79
    Halfling in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: [PF] ACG is now out! What strikes your eyes?

Welp, I just think I found a way to break the game... sort of.

In the new ACG there is a feat called Inspired Alchemy, which requires 2nd-level Alchemy and a source of Inspiration to take. It's basically a version of the Magus's Spell Recall. By spending 10 minutes and blowing a number of Inspiration points equal to Spell Level, an alchemist and/or Investigator can recover a Extract Spell Slot.

Now, on its own, that's kinda neat for Investigators; like I said, it's basically Spell Recall. However, there's a new Alchemist Archetype called Inspired Chemist. Their big deal is that they get a special kind of Cognatogen, which gives them a new pool of inspiration every time they drink the mutagen (as well as +2 Dodge AC and -2 STR/CON). There's also a downside, but I'll get to that.

Basically, the combination thereof means that every hour, an Inspired Chemist gets to bring back a number of Spell Levels worth of extract equal to (1/2 Alchemist Level + INT). There are limitations, but this is extremely potent.

Now, limitations are two-fold: It must be an extract he's expended/drank/etc already, for one. And each time he quaffs an Inspired Cognatogen, he takes 2 temporary points of STR and CON damage. The first can likely be gotten around since Inspired Alchemy would be used to restore commonly-used spells anyway, such as the broken Touch Injection/Skinsend combination.

The second is a bit trickier. Ability damage cures after 24 hours, but it means you can't spam the cognatogen on its own. However, Lesser Restoration is a 2nd-level Alchemist spell, so if you just utilize that once or twice after each dose of the cognatogen (and then use the inspired alchemy to restore it), you'll have at least some leftover pool to freely restore other spells.

Tell me, is this too much time and effort for free Recall on spells? Would it only be viable at higher levels and higher intelligence scores? or is free spells worth any investiture of time and effort?

20. - Top - End - #80

You can only recover an extract you've drunk in the past hour, and it takes you an hour to make the cognatogen. So realistically, at most you're recovering a single extract this way, and you further need the restoration extract to recover the ability damage. I wouldn't say it's broken, just a neat trick for a pinch.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #81
    Halfling in the Playground

confused Re: [PF] ACG is now out! What strikes your eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    You can only recover an extract you've drunk in the past hour, and it takes you an hour to make the cognatogen. So realistically, at most you're recovering a single extract this way, and you further need the restoration extract to recover the ability damage. I wouldn't say it's broken, just a neat trick for a pinch.
    Ah, you're right; in my giddy haste I failed to note the 1 hour limitation. So perhaps blow the 21k in gold on a Wand of Restoration or Lesser Restoration, which would make it more viable. Still could be good for restoring up to 5 to 6 uses of Alchemical Allocation if you have the Cognatogen on hand before you quaff the A.A. (and then a half dozen free potions).

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

There are specific favored class options for the new classes - They are not "alternate classes" of the old ones anymore, so I don't think you can mix and match FC bonuses.
    I was informed in one of the previous threads that the Hybrid classes could use FC bonuses of their "parent" classes, and that abilities which added spells known instead added to the Arcanists number of prepared spells per day, making a Human Arcanist with the Sorcerer FC bonus hilariously versatile.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I was informed in one of the previous threads that the Hybrid classes could use FC bonuses of their "parent" classes, and that abilities which added spells known instead added to the Arcanists number of prepared spells per day, making a Human Arcanist with the Sorcerer FC bonus hilariously versatile.
    This is the first thread where we've actually had the finished product in front of us. The previous threads all revolved around the playtest and hints dropped by Paizo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

24. - Top - End - #84

I think this was present in the playtest but it appears not to have made it to the final product. The only rule regarding the parent classes that I see is that their class features don't stack (e.g. bloodrager bloodline and sorcerer bloodline), and that whatever choice you make for one must be the same choice as for the other. In other words, they are heavily discouraging multiclassing between hybrid and parent. There is no rule about being allowed to take sorcerer FC bonuses on an arcanist etc.

Parent Classes: Each one of the following classes lists two
    classes that it draws upon to form the basis of its theme.
    While a character can multiclass with these parent classes,
    this usually results in redundant abilities. Such abilities
    don’t stack unless specified. If a class feature allows the
    character to make a one-time choice (such as a bloodline),
    that choice must match similar choices made by the parent
    classes and vice-versa (such as selecting the same bloodline).
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

That's great news! It's pretty much the thing that made Arcanists almost strictly superior to the Sorcerer. Now Arcanists are only strictly superior to non-human/half-elf sorcs. But it's progress!

Is there any word on how feats that give extra spells known interact with the Arcanist?

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    Is there any word on how feats that give extra spells known interact with the Arcanist?
    Erm... the same way they work for Wizard, I guess? Arcanists don't have "spells known," they are prepared casters.

Beyond that - to your half-elf comment - have you seen the Paragon Surge FAQ?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Beyond that - to your half-elf comment - have you seen the Paragon Surge FAQ?
    That's a good change to paragon surge. Though it's still an outstanding spell, and still probably puts a half-elf sorcerer/oracle at the bottom of tier 1.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Advanced Class Guide
    Feats and other effects that modify the number of spells known by a spellcaster instead affect the number of spells an arcanist can prepare.
    So that's still in. The human class bonus is the wizard one, basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Advanced Class Guide
    Add one spell from the arcanist spell list to the arcanist’s spellbook. The spell must be at least 1 spell level below the highest level the arcanist can cast.
    I guess you could try and argue that it's an effect that modifies spells known, so it changes spells prepared, although that seems clearly not as intended.

29. - Top - End - #89

I would say no, because the FCB says nothing about "spells known." It just puts them in your book. So you do not get more spells prepared out of it.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Animal Soul is hilarious and perhaps potentially broken. It makes you count as an animal, animal companion or special mount for the purpose of spells. So if you can figure out a way to get your int low enough you could get awakened .