New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Kingmaker (no evil PCs)

Julian strides over to the bleeding man, his burning hair dying back down. He mutters a few quick words, and the man's bleeding will stop.
    I am not the judge of this man's life. I will ensure that he is allowed to reach such a judge.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Cast Stabilize on him, just to be safe.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"And now I am questioning YOUR utility rat face. Honestly, is half beard the only useful one of you lot? I'm not the best people person, killing on the other hand, I am rather experienced with. How many hits it takes depends on where you hit and how hard, see Syvera's shot? It hit a vital point, and he was as good as dead from a single strike. The throat, head, and heart are probably the quickest ways to kill someone, but that's what we are here for." He gestures to the more armed and trained of the group. "You just need to practice your spells, no need for you to fight with weapons."

3. - Top - End - #213
    Firbolg in the Playground

Azeron

Azeron thanks half-beard and then Alexander. "If we plan to pacify this land then it is us who will need to be the judges, but we need to know more. I give you my assurance that if you wish to leave the service and help us as best you can, you will earn a place with us. I also assure you I will defend you from this Kressle and his men if you side with us."
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Kate looks over at soldier, "Um... Would you mind not yelling at them? They might not be good, but they shouldn't be tortured." the little girl said, idly casting predestination on the beer, "And... I'd rather not look back, understand? It's... Sorta weird."
    Calling over to the Oracle, he shouts, "Thank you! Can someone tie him up, now? I'd rather not die... Also, put him in a straight coat. In a room in the basement. Gagged. We'll deal with him later. Also, could you look at this ring, tell me if you know anything about it?" she says.
    She looks to them, and nods with the Paladin, "And he's not alone. Know that I, KATE, shall protect you all against all who dare try to harm." she said.
    She paused.
    She then tried to appraise the ring.

Spoiler: Roll Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20-2)[4]
    (1d20+7)[9]

GNU Terry Pratchett

5. - Top - End - #215

Azeron

Azeron smiles at Kate. "The leader's heart is black. The others's hearts are not."
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oz looks up from tying up the leader.
    "How can you tell? About the heart I mean."

7. - Top - End - #217

Azeron

"It is a gift from Iomedae. I can see when people are evil. It does not mean they can't redeem themselves, but he is."
    Last edited by Smileybastard; 2014-08-22 at 10:35 PM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

"That's pretty scary stuff. Being able to weigh a man's heart." Oz shudders stepping back and looking at the pack horses the bandits brought. "I'll, uh, just be putting these two in the stock room and their horses in the stable. Let me know if you need anything." Oz proceeds to drag the less talkative bandits into lockup. As he leaves he walks by Kate and whispers. "You did well, first time I saw blood..." He makes to pat the child's shoulder, but pulls away. "You were very brave." With that he goes about his tasks.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

To anyone with a little knowledge of local nobles, the ring half-beard is wearing belongs to a minor noble house, the Ildavichs.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    In the village where the heroes came from, with a kobold attack.

10. - Top - End - #220

SolithKnightGuy

Alexander looks at the little girl with a sad smile on his face. "We're not torturing him little miss. It isn't a practice I am fond of and I doubt the paladin would approve anyway. Sure we might not treat them with feather beds and massive dinners, but they are our prisoners, and subject to our commands. And the option of executing them for their crimes is still there for us to pick if need be. Especially if they aren't willing to be redeemed or at the very least cooperate. And death is the fate they would find if most anyone else had caught them."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Kate paused.
    "Okay... Just don't hurt them much, okay? And I remember reading somewhere that that making them comfertable and drunk is actually a pretty good method of getting people to confess things, actually..."
    She smiled as Oz boosted her confidence, and stood up, "Mind if I come along?" she asked, skipping alongside the man, quickly trying to appraise their horses.
    Spoiler: Appraise skills!
    Show
    (1d20+7)[10]

GNU Terry Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Kate can't really say much about the horses, asides that they seem to be all healthy.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    In the village where the heroes came from, with a kobold attack.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Kate idly continues to work with Ozwick, trying her best to help in any way she can.
    "So... Where are you from?" she asked him, idly twirling around the silver amulet.
    Last edited by The Vagabond; 2014-08-29 at 05:58 PM.

GNU Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oz wipes his hands on his hips after stabling the pack animals. "Village of Stonegrove, a ways south of the Gronzi and east of the Sellen. I'll miss the food when I run out." He smiles and pats one of his belt pouches before laying out the bandit's gear on his blanket in front of the stockroom. He leans against the wall and checks the leader's bow. He tests the string a few times, drawing and releasing."How about you?"

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, I'm the 'Bastard' of Janet Myned. Not entirely sure about what that is. My father actually liked me a fair amount, and brought me a mage to keep me entertained... Well, I figured out magic. I read his book, the sciences, all of that, and taught myself magic, and was rather good at it... I actually ended up being a better wizard than the person who was hired! So I went and left my house, and looked for someone to apprentice me, like I read in some of the stories my mom told me about the wizard in HER party, and it wasn't easy; Not many wizards are willing to take on a 7 year old girl as a apprentice. Though I did end up finding one, he wasn't the nicest, and only did it because my father nagged him to. He doesn't really like me that much, but I'm learning faster than anyone else in his stead!" she said with a smile on her face.
    She pulled out a small board game, and began to set up the pieces.
    Last edited by The Vagabond; 2014-08-29 at 08:20 PM.

GNU Terry Pratchett

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oz rubs his sore wrist behind his back, having misdrawn the bow upon hearing Kate's stated origins. He forces himself to keep his face neutral. "Have you seen your parents since you started your apprenticeship?" He reaches into a belt pouch and pops a bit of dried fruit into his mouth, cheeking it and following it up with a sip from a canteen.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah, occasionally. My master says that he's really surprised at how adept I am at magic, but with my mother being a good bard, It made sense." she said, idly pulling out some cheese and another loaf of bread, placing it between two slices, idly casting Prestidigitation to melt the cheese.

GNU Terry Pratchett

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Julian's eyes still sparkle with the fires of anger. He puts a hand on Alexander's shoulder and jerks his head to behind his wagon.
    We need to talk, soldier.
    Assuming Alexander follows him away from the group, Julian whirls on him.
    What are you thinking, showing her how to kill? This is no business for a child! It was irresponsible of you, and I would expect better from a grown man!

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

19. - Top - End - #229

Azeron

Azeron looks deep in thought and speaks to the prisoners. "What will happen if you don't return? What will Kressle do?"

20. - Top - End - #230

Sitting on a barrel, leaning back against the wall Anasia watches the prisoners and her allies... really everything with a thoughtful expression. This wasn't exactly what she had thought it'd be like. Well... the bandits were. Most of them wouldn't be evil monsters but desperate unfortunates driven too far. With stability, law and trade they would be much happier to work their crafts and trades in comfort than plunder and risk death every day. But her companions... Taken one by one they were "ordinary" adventurers... well, except for the wizardling (her very presence bothered the elf in too many ways to name)... it was just that she couldn't clearly define the group dynamics and that made her nervous.

So, for the time being, she kept back and just... observed.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" - Terry Pratchett

Big thanks to Savannah for the badass Papa Wolf avatar!

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Slightly earlier,

Kate sat down next to the Elvish Sorcerer, "Hello!" she said, plopping her staff down, creating a small anchor, and climbing up her staff to a barrel above her, "So, how are you?" she asked, idly playing around with her hat, "Scared for me, I get?"
    Last edited by The Vagabond; 2014-08-30 at 11:35 AM.

GNU Terry Pratchett

22. - Top - End - #232

SolithKnightGuy

Following Julian away from the group he listens intently. "You realize what our job out here is right? We are here to kill those who resist us and rule whoever is left. There will be much more blood before we are through. The sooner she can learn to cope the better. A panicking child is one that is likely to not listen and do something that can get her hurt or killed, and I do not want that. The sooner she learns how to keep her wits about here and listen to those with more experience in combat the better. Treating killing and death like something mechanical rather than emotional helps, it is how I learned when serving Frigid Northerners as a child. And with a master willing to send her on such a dangerous assignment, the sooner she learns how to fight and survive the better."

Having gotten slightly out of breath saying all of this Alexander pauses briefly and rubs his jaw as he cools off a bit.

"I don't trust this master of hers, and if I could have her sent somewhere safe I would. But the only place we could theoretically send her is back to her master, and I don't think that would be safe. For the time being, the safest place for her is likely with us, despite the dangers we face. I intend to protect her, with my life if need be. But her keeping her composure and following orders makes that much easier and improves her chance of survival dramatically. I can tell you are a man of peace, I can respect that, but don't tell me how to keep her safe. Especially in a combat zone which is what the Greenbelt is. Teach her to be good and humble and all those nice things, make her into a great person please. But I will do whatever I can to make sure she survives."

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Julian is silent for a moment.
    You are not wrong. You are not right, either. But I will trust your judgment. However, I hope you understand the weight of what you are doing. You are scarring her. If she becomes numb to the pain of violence and death, as you seem to suggest, especially with her power, she could easily become a far greater danger than anything else we will have to fight.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

24. - Top - End - #234

SolithKnightGuy

Alexander stares directly into Julian's eyes. "Then I suppose someone should instill good behavior and ethical attitudes in her to counteract the numbness. Just to be safe. Teach her to be good Julian. Remove the risk now by imparting a solid foundation of good and decency in her. Gods know I couldn't do that."

25. - Top - End - #235

Julian and Alexander are barely close enough to comfortably follow the conversation and while looking like she didn't do anything of the sorts the sorceress carefully eavesdrops on everything that is being said. It was actually a bit comforting: one of them taking responsibility for the wizardling's longterm survival and the other making sure that her survival isn't creating a monster. It was like a small portion of the chaotic jigzaw puzzle that was their adventuring party was just falling into place and suddenly the rest seemed closer to manageable. With a smile slowly spreading on her face Anasia thinks back to her earlier conversation with the wizardling. Maybe she should make sure to help Julian out with his personal quest...

Spoiler: Earlier
    Show
    Looking up from her tea and her thoughts the elf maid meets the half-elven child's look of... was it curiosity? Giving the wizardling a small, friendly smile the sorceress seems to ponder the question before answering. "Better call it worry. I worry for you, that is true, Kate. You are not near adulthood and should maybe just now begin apprenticeship. And you have been sent here by your master in what seems to me an act of the most extraordinary irresponsible nature, from your master. He should tutor you and shelter you from harm until you are a woman grown not..." their is a hint of anger in the elf's voice at this and more than that in her sapphire eyes, at the master though, not the apprentice. After interrupting herself Anasia gives a helpless shrug and the anger subsides and the sorceress admits: "But here you are... and from your cantrips you do know your way around your magicks..."
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" - Terry Pratchett

Big thanks to Savannah for the badass Papa Wolf avatar!

26. - Top - End - #236

Azeron

Azeron looks around at the members of the group. "Kate is a person as well as a child. You can't all be her parents, she has proven to be very smart if inexperienced and she has shown remarkable maturity at times in recognizing that very lack of experience. There is no point in judging her mentor as we know far too little. She is here and she wants to be useful. We shall all be her experience, but in many ways, she is no longer a child."

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Slightly Earlier
    Show

She narrowed her eyes at the Elf, [color=salmon]"Hey! My master is a good man! My mother grew to the best when she went adventuring, so I'll do the same! What's with all of you and freaking out over the fact that I'm in an apprenticeship while so young, I WENT TO FIND ONE MYSELF. I wanted to have an apprenticeship, and you know what? He was the only person who wanted to take me in! Because I was six! Pardon me for being good at magic at only eight, and pardon me for being more than capable for watching over myself You know what, I'll show you; Grease! Color Spray!
    Spoiler: Rolls for you, if you want to use these rolls, just to save time
    Show

(1d20+1)[18]

(1d20+4)[20]
    (2d4)[6]
    (1d4)[4]

For Kate;
    (1d20+4)[16]

[color=salmon]"... Well, you're still standing, I was hoping to knock you off your feet... I'm sorry, it's just that I don't really like being called weak, and I feel like you insulted my ability by trying to protect me. That's not your job to raise me, I can do that myself."

Azeron would hear clapping coming from Ana's direction, Kate doing so while standing atop the pile of barrels.
    Last edited by The Vagabond; 2014-08-31 at 07:04 AM.

GNU Terry Pratchett

28. - Top - End - #238

Azeron

Azeron's head drops slightly in disapointment. "Kate, you need to reign in your actions. Spells, like crossbow bolts are dangerous and valuable things. People are not used to people your age being so gifted. It takes some getting used to and will take some time. Please do try to resist acting impulsively and try to be patient with us and we need to be with you."

Spoiler: Actions and crunch
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+10)[16] do we use skills rolls on other PC?
    Last edited by Smileybastard; 2014-08-31 at 08:40 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Kate Glares, with a capital G.
    "I know that, but what I also know is what the spells do. Grease makes the area slippery, Color Spray blinds and knocks out people. Yes, I know spells like the back of my hand, I'm a wizard. Do you honestly think I'd not know just what my spells could do? Don't lecture me!" she said, the anger in her voice quite obvious.
    "And I'm sorry. I just don't like having people thinking I'm incompetent." she said, quite irked by the, to her, somewhat patronizing manner he said it.

GNU Terry Pratchett

30. - Top - End - #240

Azeron

Azeron nods calmly. "I am not trying to lecture, but to repair this rift that is forming.
    "You do know your spells, far better than I, I am sure. You also know what a crossbow can do. You also know that if we were attacked now and you needed to cast those spells, you very well might be unable to do so.
    "I am being as direct and honest as I can be with you. I will not treat you as a child as you do not wish that. Please understand the difference. I was also speaking to the others as well. They need to realize treating you as a child will only make things worse. If you feel you are being treated unfairly, please speak to me and I will see what I can do, but I need you, as one of this group, and the groups most flexible caster, to be in control of your abilities."
    Azerons scans the rest of the group. "And the rest of you, please realize that while Kate is young, she is one of us and she deserves your respect."