New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Yet another spell from me, for you to PEACH!

Hellow fellow scribes... Here is another spell which I would like some feedback on. If you thinks more could be puched out of it, feel free to say whatever. As always thanks for taking the time.

Melcar’s Shield
    Abjuration [Force]
    Level: Sor/Wiz 3
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 min./level (D)
    Melcar’s Shield creates an invisible, tower shield-sized mobile disk of force that hovers in front of you.

This spell functions like shield (PHB p. 278), except its tangible field of force provides a +6 shield armor bonus to Armor Class.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    tippy's posted, thread's over now

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Yet another spell from me, for you to PEACH!

Quote Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
    Hellow fellow scribes... Here is another spell which I would like some feedback on. If you thinks more could be puched out of it, feel free to say whatever. As always thanks for taking the time.

Melcar’s Shield
    Abjuration [Force]
    Level: Sor/Wiz 3
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 min./level (D)
    Melcar’s Shield creates an invisible, tower shield-sized mobile disk of force that hovers in front of you.

This spell functions like shield (PHB p. 278), except its tangible field of force provides a +6 shield armor bonus to Armor Class.
    Should be second level as it's not that much better.
    I'm sure there's a spell that already does this.
    Also, the would cause problems on the SRD, as Tasha's Hideous Laughter is written as just Hideous Laughter, so your spell would just be called Shield (The same is true of Black Tentacles; Disjunction is a special case as it was replaced with "Mage's"). While this isn't a problem per se, it's kind of implied that, for example, the spell's actual name is Disjunction and the Mordenkainen's bit is just because he came up with it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Yet another spell from me, for you to PEACH!

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Should be second level as it's not that much better.
    I'm sure there's a spell that already does this.
    Also, the would cause problems on the SRD, as Tasha's Hideous Laughter is written as just Hideous Laughter, so your spell would just be called Shield (The same is true of Black Tentacles; Disjunction is a special case as it was replaced with "Mage's"). While this isn't a problem per se, it's kind of implied that, for example, the spell's actual name is Disjunction and the Mordenkainen's bit is just because he came up with it.
    It follows the rules or power of Improved Mage Armor, so it should be fine.