New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Base Class Challenge Chat Thread IV: All Your Base [Class] Are Belong to Us

I don't have much of a history in the homebrewing, but I think I'll try this one out.

Hittin' y'all with a game I ain't barely heard of ever in my life, but just got five days ago. So, time to crack open... ANIMA: BEYOND FANTASY

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class Challenge Chat Thread IV: All Your Base [Class] Are Belong to Us

Ooh, I've already got an idea. Let's see how this turns out.
    Quote Originally Posted by OctoberRaven View Post
    "It's a fireball. It's basically a magic hand grenade."
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Isn't it "Card Sharp"?

*looks up*

Huh, it can also be cardshark. Sharp is just the original term, but they both have the same root word. Neat.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Banned

Even I am unsure whether or not I am truly insane enough to roll all those different types of wizard into one class, but what the hell, let's do this.

5. - Top - End - #365

Kobold

While I haven't played Warhammer original, I have seen people play it before, but I'll say that the magic system is pretty nifty. The various wizards pretty much use the same basic framework, modify the stats like wounds, toughness, and saves, then add extra rules or different equipment, don't they?

I'm guessing it'll work like how it does in Warhammer. Roll dice, add the result to your "Casting" stat and if exceeds the goal set by the "power card" spell functions, some mishaps if doubles are rolled (I forget if it's 6s only or any doubles for mishaps to occur).

I don't know how Counter spelling will work though. I mean, the counter spell mechanic in Warhammer is not going to work, and well, I have no idea how Dispell magic would interact.

I'm guessing "lots of casting but incredibly dangerous" would sum up the Warp Mage.

I'm thinking on entering the Contests as well. Not sure what I'd roll on with though.

EditL: nevemind, I just realized it works more or less how it does in Warhammer, but slightly differently.
    Do you have to do things like roll for which spells you use in a given encounter?
    Last edited by Almarck; 2014-12-30 at 10:18 PM.
    I possess the Addicted to Editing flaw. I have edit my posts 3 seconds after posting them for 10 minutes.

Current Projects:

Backing Dragon: the Inheritance - World of Darkness Fan game where you play a dragon
    Mutant - Be a horrible abomination of a player character. Comes in a variety of flavors.
    Proprietor - Bring a House to a Sword fight! Be the adventuring interior/exterior decorator. Use siege weapons, customize your hour.

Extended Signature

6. - Top - End - #366
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Almarck View Post
    While I haven't played Warhammer original, I have seen people play it before, but I'll say that the magic system is pretty nifty. The various wizards pretty much use the same basic framework, modify the stats like wounds, toughness, and saves, then add extra rules or different equipment, don't they?
    Yeah, though the fact that even an empire battle wizard can come up with eight different types of magic makes it more complicated.

I'm guessing it'll work like how it does in Warhammer. Roll dice, add the result to your "Casting" stat and if exceeds the goal set by the "power card" spell functions, some mishaps if doubles are rolled (I forget if it's 6s only or any doubles for mishaps to occur).
    It's only double sixes (given that people six-dice things with alarming regularity, it had better be). But yeah.

I don't know how Counter spelling will work though. I mean, the counter spell mechanic in Warhammer is not going to work, and well, I have no idea how Dispell magic would interact.
    They're SLAs so they work a lot like spells.

I'm guessing "lots of casting but incredibly dangerous" would sum up the Warp Mage.
    Well, they're encounter-based, so there's no reason other than blowing yourself up not to go all-out.

Incidentally, I never would have thought I'd ever try to pass a miscast off as a spell-like ability, but there we go.

I'm thinking on entering the Contests as well. Not sure what I'd roll on with though.

EditL: nevemind, I just realized it works more or less how it does in Warhammer, but slightly differently.
    Do you have to do things like roll for which spells you use in a given encounter?
    Nah, you get the spells in order up your lore (though if you're a grey seer, you get the weirdness of getting to choose which lore you use each level).

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

While I haven't played Warhammer original, I have seen people play it before, but I'll say that the magic system is pretty nifty.
    It looks nifty till you actually play it. The trouble is miscasts are so devastating in power and beyond a certain amount of magical firepower in your army, so likely to happen that they make taking more than a certain amount of magic user suicidal. You reach the point very rapidly where statistically you will kill, maim, or otherwise negate a significant percentage of the total value of your army every single game via miscasts. And that's was 6th edition, 8th has, (or so i hear, i no longer play), made the whole situation about a 100 times worse by making any double a miscast.

8. - Top - End - #368

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    It looks nifty till you actually play it. The trouble is miscasts are so devastating in power and beyond a certain amount of magical firepower in your army, so likely to happen that they make taking more than a certain amount of magic user suicidal. You reach the point very rapidly where statistically you will kill, maim, or otherwise negate a significant percentage of the total value of your army every single game via miscasts. And that's was 6th edition, 8th has, (or so i hear, i no longer play), made the whole situation about a 100 times worse by making any double a miscast.
    Oh, I am aware that miscasts are fatal. I've seen casts eradicate half their own unit. It's pretty hilarious, but it does come up rarely. Fatal miscasts at least. I watch people play 8th every week or so. I think the doubles rule only applies to demons or using demonic related magics like summoning.

Warhammer 40k I've seen more of and the Perils of the Warp only treats any double as a "miscast" when you're playing as someone else other than Chaos Demons using demonology to summon more demons (it's quite possible to get more than double your starting points via summoning, but it's very risky). So, I'm assuming that it works similarly for how it is in 8th.

On that note, I'm still figuring out which tabletop game I would be doing if I joined in. Considering something from World of Darkness, since I know that well.
    Last edited by Almarck; 2014-12-31 at 12:34 PM.
    I possess the Addicted to Editing flaw. I have edit my posts 3 seconds after posting them for 10 minutes.

Current Projects:

Backing Dragon: the Inheritance - World of Darkness Fan game where you play a dragon
    Mutant - Be a horrible abomination of a player character. Comes in a variety of flavors.
    Proprietor - Bring a House to a Sword fight! Be the adventuring interior/exterior decorator. Use siege weapons, customize your hour.

Extended Signature

9. - Top - End - #369
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    8th has, (or so i hear, i no longer play), made the whole situation about a 100 times worse by making any double a miscast.
    The spell Pandemonium does that to an opponent. But miscasts don't usually blow up your army even if you put your wizard somewhere stupid (yes, I know putting a Grey Seer in Stormvermin is great fluff-wise, but do you really want to lose your expensive bodyguards to a miscast? Put the Seer in some clanrats, or better still on the Screaming Bell (which can actually take a hit, and reduces the number of clanrats who die), and use the stormvermin for your warlord).

There's the fact that Slann, Greater Demons/Vermin lords, and a couple others either can't or don't want to be in a unit, and wood elves and skinks want to be in skirmishers anyway, and then there's the fact that undead can get their units back anyway, and skaven and empire never cared about their units (and brettonia only did if you put her in some knights, who have ward saves for this kind of thing). Then there's the fact that only two of the five results actually inflict a significant number of hits (large blast on the unit, small blast on the unit) while the others (base contact blast on the unit, hit on all your wizards at randomly reduced strength, lose levels) don't tear your army to pieces.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'm not really familiar with the 8th edition miscast table, like i said been out of fantasy for quite a while. But in 6th there where a significant percentage of the results that where firmly in the bad category. Sadly i don't have my rulebook handy so i can't list them all off but with the exception of i think one result that just stopped the miscasting wizard from casting further that phase they all either ended the magic phase, or inflicted some form of wounds or magic, (lost spells or wizard levels), damage to the wizard, or in one case gave your opponent a free spell. Plus of course it causes an automatic failure of the casting, (and the more powerful the spell the more dice are needed and the more likely it becomes).

I don't know what 8th edition casters cost but a lord level wizard was usually around a quarter of your armies total value, (and came at a massive leadership cost to boot), and hero's where somewhere just over a tenth.

When so much of your points is tied up like that, having those magic users fry themselves, or even just skip a couple of phases could be fatal as far as cost effectiveness goes, and that leaves you with a fatally weak army as a result. Frying themselves was worse of course because it's free VP's to your opponent and it shuts them down from there on out. But even lost phases where brutally bad news for the more powerful lord level casters. There's a reason most people went with a couple of scroll cadies or special characters for casting with. Scroll cadies weren't supposed to do much offensive work and thus miscasts didn't effect them and most special characters (and a few powerful normal's like slann), where immune to miscasts so couldn't fry themselves.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think that basing my class off of Munchkin would be funny.

Like, actually though.
    I do stuff.

I usually log on, look at some threads, post, watch for few minutes, then leave and come back the next day. If I don't respond to your replies immediately, don't take offence.

My Homebrewer's Signature

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Something very glaring with Warp Mage. The Ward ability is already a super powerful defense, so you could probably lower their HD to a d4. I understand that casting is dangerous, but a 1 in 6 chance of negating ANY attack at level 5 is pretty beastly.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Something very glaring with Warp Mage. The Ward ability is already a super powerful defense, so you could probably lower their HD to a d4. I understand that casting is dangerous, but a 1 in 6 chance of negating ANY attack at level 5 is pretty beastly.
    That's true, actually. I was just thinking of the fact that Warhammer wizards are generally tougher than most soldiers, so having a titchy hit die didn't seem to make sense.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

I found my notes. I might be biting off more than I can chew. 50+ planned grafts (in one sentence descriptions in said notes) and 11 planned evolutions that are available through the class, with plans for most creatures having their own individual evolutions or grafts, ~40 planned new monsters, a new magic system with 50+ new spells each of which have scaling effects based upon spell slot (daily resource) and mana (per encounter resource regainable in combat resource) used to cast it. At least the feats have proper notes... and I think I might have more notes on my phone and in a notebook which may be lost or have lost the pages.

And I apparently want to turn Enchantments into Feats.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2014-12-31 at 06:55 PM.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

15. - Top - End - #375
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    I found my notes. I might be biting off more than I can chew. 50+ planned grafts (in one sentence descriptions in said notes) and 11 planned evolutions that are available through the class, with plans for most creatures having their own individual evolutions or grafts, ~40 planned new monsters, a new magic system with 50+ new spells each of which have scaling effects based upon spell slot (daily resource) and mana (per encounter resource regainable in combat resource) used to cast it. At least the feats have proper notes... and I think I might have more notes on my phone and in a notebook which may be lost or have lost the pages.

And I apparently want to turn Enchantments into Feats.
    Well, I'm trying to make every wizard and every spell in Warhammer into one class.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

And I'm writing a new casting system without spell levels and trying to balance it. you know, Fun!

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Would people mind if I posted the list of spells I am proposing to convert from M:tG to 3.5 here and asked for suggestions as to any spells that particularly need to be added?

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    Would people mind if I posted the list of spells I am proposing to convert from M:tG to 3.5 here and asked for suggestions as to any spells that particularly need to be added?
    Sure, I wouldn't mind.

19. - Top - End - #379

Planetar

Does rock-paper-scissors count as a tabletop game for the purposes of the contest?

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

It's close. You could, and some people would consider it durring voting while others would not. It seems borderline, to me.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Banned

It's close. You could, and some people would consider it durring voting while others would not. It seems borderline, to me.
    It's not really a tabletop game. In fact, it's not a tabletop game at all.

EDIT: @Beelzebub: disappointed in no purple.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2015-01-01 at 03:14 PM.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    EDIT: @Beelzebub: disappointed in no purple.
    Trying to keep it to the tabletop, people judging won't know what the heck that is.

And yes, the framework is up
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2015-01-01 at 03:34 PM.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Banned

Trying to keep it to the tabletop, people judging won't know what the heck that is.

And yes, the framework is up
    Pfft. Wizards said there would be purple, and then there wasn't. It makes me sad.

But yeah, like how so many people decided to do card games.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by roko10 View Post
    Does rock-paper-scissors count as a tabletop game for the purposes of the contest?
    I recommend going for it. If you write a cool class, how tenuously it is connected to the theme is unimportant.
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Banned

I need to make 130 class features and 146 spells...

Well, I'm insane enough to do it, and it's only 7+2/3 items per day. Which should be easy. That's like one and a half paths or a lore. It'll be fine.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Well since no one objected here is the list of Simic Transmutationist spells I am currently converting (I will also make a few cantrips and use some wizard/druid cantrips)

Spoiler
    Show
    1. Aetherize: Lv 4; Teleport target to a random location, higher level slots increases number of targets.
    2. Biomass Mutation: Lv 2 or 3; G/UG/UX. Creatures you control have stats replaced based on X (X is capped by spell slot), high enough level slot quickens, Lv 6 makes it an immediate action.
    3. Bioshift: G/U; 1st. Move grafts/evolutions from willing target to another, higher level makes quicker (swift/immediate) or allows targeting unwilling creatures.
    4. Boomerang: UU; 1st. Swift action. Teleport target to location it was in at the beginning of its last turn/unsummon summoned creatures summoned within the last round. Higher slot = immediate action and/or no save.
    5. Burst of Strength: G; 3rd. Grant an evolution or graft to a summoned creature and allow it to act outside of its turn. Higher level slot quickens/makes an immediate action.
    6. Bred for the Hunt: 1GU; 2nd. Whenever a creature you’ve summoned kills something within the aura provided by this spell (10-ft/spell level) you can prep a spell at least 2 levels lower than this spell.
    7. Cancel: 1UU; 3rd. Immediate action counterspell a 3rd level or lower spell (against higher level spells acts as dispel magic); use higher slot for +2 to max spell level per slot.
    8. Convolute: 2U; 2nd. Immediate action; counter a 4th level or lower spell unless its caster pays a 3rd level or higher spell slot or 4 mana. Higher slots +2 max spell level/slot.
    9. Copy Enchantment: 2U; 3rd. Duplicate a spell effect which is active.
    10. Cytoshape: 1GU. 4th. Polymorph target into a duplicate of a nearby creature. Lv 6 quickens.
    11. Determined: GU. 1st. Swift action. Until end of turn spells you cast cannot be counterspelled.
    12. Dispel: U; 1st. Immediate action. Counter spell a swift or immediate action spell of level 1 or lower (roll for higher levels). +1 spell level adds 2 levels to the highest level spell it can auto-counter.
    13. Dream Leash: 3UU. 3rd. Charm Monster, increase spell level to steal spell effects or dominate monsters.
    14. Early Harvest: 1GG. 2nd. Fully refill mana. 4th level slot makes into a swift action.
    15. Elemental Resonance: 2GG. 1st. Gain mana each round (equal to spell slot or 1/3rd the target’s HD rounded up whichever is lower) as long as target is within 10-ft/spell level used.
    16. Flight: U. 3rd. Target creature gains fly speed, increase spell level to increase duration.
    17. Flight of Fancy: 3U. 4th. Target creature gains fly speed, and you prepare 2 spells at least 2 levels lower than this one. Increase spell level to increase duration.
    18. Flow of Ideas: 5U. 5th. Gain 1 spell of each level lower than the one used to prepare/cast this spell.
    19. Fog: G; 1st. Create a thick fog (concealing mist + as levels).
    20. Forced Adaptation: G; 2nd. Summoned creatures gains evolutions over time until effect wears off.
    21. Frazzle: 3U; 2nd. Immediate action; counter a spell that did not require Blue mana, or, if not a mana spell, is not an illusion, divination, or enchantment. Counters 4th level or lower spells with certainty, chance for higher level; +2 to max spell level/spell level increase.
    22. Giant Growth: G; 1st. Standard action. Enlarge person without the person; higher slot increases duration, speed, and effect (6th level slot would be Swift action, 10 minutes/cl, and +2 sizes).
    23. Hindervines: 2G; 1st. Entangle but doesn’t affect you or creatures with grafts/evolutions. Increase level for improved effects.
    24. Hover Barrier: 2U. 1st. Create a wall of energy, size, duration, and hardness determined by spell slot.
    25. Hydroform: GU. 1st. Creates a temporary elemental which attacks an enemy or enemies and vanishes (power is based on spell slot used).
    26. Levitation: 2UU. 3rd. Creatures you’ve summoned gain fly speeds (relatively bad ones) as long as they are within range (50-ft/spell level used). Higher spell level grants better flight.
    27. Mending Touch: G. 1st. Immediate action healing.
    28. Miming Slime: 2G. 3rd. Creates an ooze with base stats based off of a creature you control (but no Su abilities or Ex ones).
    29. Mindstatic: 3U; 3rd. Immediate action; counter a 5th level or lower spell unless its caster pays a 5th level or higher spell slot or 6 mana. Higher slots +2 max spell level/slot.
    30. Mutant’s Prey: G, 1st. Your summon bearing a graft or evolution makes an attack immediately. Higher slot quickens or makes immediate.
    31. Mystic Genesis: 2GUU; 5th level. Immediate action. Counterspell an 8th level or lower spell (9th+ as Dispel Magic), summons an ooze with power based upon the countered spell’s level. Prepare as a higher level slot to dispel higher level effects reliably (+2 levels/increased level).
    32. Naturalize: 1G; 2nd. Auto dispel one identified spell effect, save or die on a magic item, or area dispel (may affect magic items) on a target.
    33. Paralyzing Grasp: 2U; 2nd level. Touch attack paralyzes target.
    34. Phytoburst: 1G; 1st level. Large buff to 1 creature, slot determines duration.
    35. Plasm Capture: GGUU; 4th level. Immediate action. Counterspell a 6th level or lower (7th+ as Dispel Magic), at the beginning of your next turn you gain mana equal to the spell’s mana cost or level (whichever was higher). Prepare as a higher level slot to dispel higher level effects reliably (+2 levels/increased level).
    36. Primeval Light: 3G; 5th level. Disjoin all spell effects on target creature, or all spell effects originating from target creature.
    37. Quicken: U; 1st. Standard action. Next spell up to Quicken’s level -1 you cast is cast as an immediate action.
    38. Rapid Hybridization: U; 4th; Baleful Polymorph except specific (and fairly dangerous) form.
    39. Regeneration: 1G; 1st level; target creature gains fast healing to half health; higher slots increase fast healing rate, cap, and can even make it into true regeneration.
    40. Research: GU; 3rd level; prepare up to 2 levels worth of wizard or druid spells (no more than 4 spells). Any wizard spell costs blue mana equal to its level and any druid spell costs green mana equal to its level.
    41. Rewind: 2UU; 4th level. Immediate action. Counterspell a 6th level or lower (7th+ as Dispel Magic), at the beginning of your next turn you regain the mana spent to cast this spell. Prepare as a higher level slot to dispel higher level effects reliably (+2 levels/increased level).
    42. Shielding Plax: 2G/U; 1st level; target gets SR 4 + CL and prepare a spell at least 2 levels lower than this one. Higher level slots grant +4 SR per spell level, and can increase duration, allow for protection against any targeted ability other than a basic attack/skill check.
    43. Simic Charm: GU; 2nd level. Standard action - Buff creature, swift action – unsummon creature you summoned and regain its spell slot, immediate action – you and summons gain SR 12 + CL for 1 round. Higher level spell slot improves (buff creature more/swift action; unsummon creature as immediate action; higher SR and SR applies to any targeted ability).
    44. Skygames: 1U; 3rd level. Gain ability to give creature 2 round flight as a standard action for duration.
    45. Spell Rupture: 1U; 3rd. Immediate action; counter a 5th level or lower spell unless its caster pays a spell slot equal to that which was used to summon your highest level monster or higher spell slot or mana equal to the spell level required +1. Higher slots +2 max spell level/slot.
    46. Spell Snare: U; 1st level. Immediate action, counter target 1st level spell (exactly first level only).
    47. Stasis Cell: 4U; 4th level. Fort save based hold monster, 6th level slot increases to temporal stasis; 3U to change target (new save is allowed for new target).
    48. Stream of Life: GX; 1st level. Heal target based on level and X.
    49. Telepathy: U; 2nd level. Gain telepathy out to range based on spell level used (20-ft -> 60-ft -> 120-ft -> 1000-ft -> 1 mile).
    50. Thrive: GX; 1st level. Grants X targets a special graft for the duration.
    51. Totally Lost: 4U; 4th level. Save or be mazed (as spell) and teleported to a random location.
    52. Unexpected Results: Lv 3; 2GU. Standard action; cast a spell from a random list as a spell 1 level higher than this one.
    53. Utopia Sprawl: Lv 1; G. When recovering bonus mana due to being in a forest you recover an extra point of mana of any color.
    54. Voidslime: Lv 4; GUU. Immediate action; Ranged touch, target must save or lose action attempted. Lv 6 removes save.
    55. Wildwood Rebirth: Lv 1; 1G. Reprepare 1 summoning spell you’ve cast.

And because teasers will continue while I try and finish the class so I know how many posts I need (I'm guessing many, since I'm less than half done with spells and have ~40k-50k characters depending upon if the forum counts spaces).

Grafts: These are only grafts that you can personally gain via class features each summoned creature that bears grafts will be able to grant a list of 5 or so grafts, some of which may also appear on this list but others are intended not to.
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Ocular Implants: Eyes; +4 to Spot and Search checks, creature gains Low-light Vision if they did not have it already, and darkvision 60-ft or their existing darkvision extends 30-ft. This graft can be applied to a creature twice; the second iteration upon a creature grants it the ability to see invisible creatures as if with the spell See Invisibility and to detect magic auras as the spell Detect Magic usable at will.
    2. Crown of Eyes: Head; creature gains all-around vision (+4 to spot/search checks and cannot be flanked).
    3. Aural Implants: +4 to listen checks and blindsense 30-ft. You must be level 9 or higher to select this graft.
    4. Acidic Blood: Blood; Deal (acid) damage to enemies which strike you in melee and gain acid resistance.
    5. Adrenal Accelerant: Glands; Free action +8 to Str, Dex, and Con for 1 round, then fatigued for 1 minute (cannot use when fatigued).
    6. Voltaic Generator: Hands; Adds electricity damage to attacks of hand held weapons or claws/hand based natural weapons.
    7. Helium Bladder: Stomach; Gain 10-ft fly speed (poor maneuverability) and the ability to hover (you do not have to move forward as is normal for poor maneuverability). Minimum level 5.
    8. Venom Sac: Mouth; Gain poisonous saliva; kiss as a touch attack to inflict poison or use a bite attack.
    9. Gossamer Wings: Back; Fly speed = land speed, average maneuverability. Minimum level 11. If they also have a Helium Bladder their maneuverability improves 1 grade.
    10. Mirrored Eyes: Eyes; You gain immunity to gaze attacks and light-based blindness; in addition you reflect gaze attacks and blinding light effects back on the source.
    11. Iron Scales: Flesh; You gain +1 Natural Armor and DR 1/adamantine. You may stack this graft 1 additional time per 5 levels.
    12. Chameleon Hide: Flesh; You gain a +4 bonus to Hide checks, and when you form this graft select 1 type of terrain (forest, hills, plains, desert, swamp, urban, or underground) and this bonus increases to +8 in that environment.
    13. Extensible Tongue: Mouth; You gain a tongue. You can use this tongue to manipulate objects as if it had half your strength score (it may wield weapons as if it were your off-hand, but it uses half your strength score to determine its attack bonus and damage) or as a secondary natural weapon (your strength is still halved for this purpose) dealing 1d3 damage on a successful hit.
    14. Implanted Gills: Neck; You gain the ability to breathe water as if it were air.
    15. Krasis Flesh: Flesh; You gain a swim speed equal to your land speed.
    16. Explosive Globules: Back; Standard action fire an explosive globe from your flesh, dealing up to 1d8 damage per class level in a 10-ft radius (Reflex halves) but dealing 2 damage to yourself per die of damage.
    17. Reflex Augmenters: Brain; Grants evasion. You must be at least 8th level to select this graft.
    18. Cognizance Enhancer: Brain; You gain a +2 bonus to all Int and Wis based checks; this graft can be stacked with itself; each iteration beyond the first increases the bonus by +1 instead of adding an additional +2.
    19. Absorbing Flesh: Flesh; You gain universal energy resistance 5 + ½ your class level. You may apply this graft more than once, increasing it by +5 per iteration beyond the first. 5 iterations improve to energy immunity.
    20. Pheromone Augmenter: Gland; You gain a +2 to Charisma based checks, this bonus increases to +4 when dealing with creatures with which reproduction is possible for you without specialized magic.
    21. Muscle Implants: Flesh; You gain a +2 bonus to Str, Dex, and Con. You must be at least level 7 to select this graft.
    22. Amphetamine Glands: Glands; You gain a +4 bonus to Initiative checks. If you have this graft and the Reflex Augmenters graft you also gain a +4 bonus to Reflex saves. You may apply this graft to a creature multiple times each time past the first increases the bonus to Initiative checks by +3.
    23. Climber Claws: Hands and feet; You gain a climb speed equal to ½ your land speed.
    24. Spinnerets: Mouth; Ranged touch attack (10-ft range increment, acts as a thrown weapon) entangles targets as a net (max size of target = yours +1, +2 if the graft granter has 8 or more class levels, +3 if they have 16 or more). The entanglement lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Constitution modifier.
    25. Manipulator Tendrils: Hands; You gain a +4 on checks to resist disarm attempts, and gain a +6 to Disable Device and Open Locks checks (this counts as having thieves’ tools).
    26. Eye of Intimidation: Head; you gain a third eye which grants you a +2 bonus on Spot checks, an a +6 bonus to Intimidate checks against creatures which can see it. Beginning at 7th level you may apply this graft a 2nd time to gain an intimidating gaze attack which causes creatures within 30-ft to have to make a Will save or be intimidated for 1 minute (a successful save grants immunity for 24 hours).
    27. Blood Borne Anti-toxin: Blood; +4 + your level to saves versus poison, becomes immunity at level 10.
    28. Crystal Heart: Stomach; +4 bonus to saves versus death-effects and immediate save to remove negative levels.
    29. Sebaceous Oil Glands: Glands; +10 bonus to Escape Artist checks.
    30. Mana Battery: Stomach; Stores up to 2/3rds of your maximum mana capacity; you can access this mana by spending a swift action and place mana in it whenever you would gain mana beyond your max capacity.
    31. Cognizance Implant: Brain; grants psionic power points equal to your class level.
    32. Psi-Battery: Stomach; grants psionic power points equal to your class level.
    33. Holding Stomach: Stomach; opening in your stomach serves as a bag of holding.
    34. Polyglot Implant: Brain; You can speak and understand any language; this comprehension does not extend to written languages.
    35. Life-Force Simulator: Stomach; An undead or deathless creature with this graft gains immunity to Turn or Rebuke Undead.
    36. Ley Tattoo: Skin; You may pay hit points to gain Black or Green mana as a free action; if you bestow this graft to a creature they may pay (twice) the hit points you would but you gain the mana.
    37. Spell Relay: Brain, Head, Flesh, or Stomach; If a creature bearing this graft is within range of a spell you cast you may treat the spell as originating from their space and recalculate the maximum range accordingly.
    38. Youthful Essence: Blood; If a creature bearing this graft is older than adulthood treat them as one age category younger for determining ability score penalties.
    39. Blood of Life: Blood. Fast Healing (based on level) only applies to damage taken within 1 round per graft the creature possesses.
    40. Thought Shield: Head. Grafted creature is immune to mind-reading effects, telepathic commands, detects as non-intelligent for any magical means of detecting a creature’s intelligence, and cannot be sensed with mindsight. It is also difficult to target the grafted creature with long distance spells such as scrying or nightmare and they gain a +5 bonus to saving throws against any spell cast on them without line of sight or line of effect.
    41. Sprinting Legs: Feet. Run at x6 speed (or x7 with Run feat) and gain a +6 bonus to running jumps.
    42. Grasping Feet: Feet. +4 to Climb and Balance checks; +4 to checks to resist being tripped, bull rushed, or wind effects (when standing) 43. Brain Partitioning: Brain; Slippery Mind (min level 5th).
    44. Arm Extensions: Hands; +5-ft reach with hand-held weapons and arm based natural weapons, this increase is not doubled with a reach weapon.
    45. Scope Eye: Eyes; Half distance penalties to spot and increase range that precision damage can be applied to 60-ft.
    46. Prescience Activator: brain; +1 insight bonus to attacks, saves, and checks (including those not based on ability scores) and to AC. Minimum level 15+.
    47. Shielding Vines: Back; gain +2 shield bonus to AC (stackable up to 1 + 1/5 levels). If you have at least 2 instances this shield bonus applies against ranged touch attacks. If you have at least 3 you also gain the ability to deflect arrows (as the feat) 1/round. If you have at least 4 you can use your ability to deflect arrows granted by this graft to deflect rays and apply the AC bonus against all touch attacks except Incorporeal Touch attacks.
    48. Evocation Amplifier: Stomach; +1 damage/die with evocation effects (I'm not sure they get any evocation effects which deal damage).
    49. Spell Dampeners: Back; 20% spell failure within 10-ft (requires level 11+).
    50. Limbo Stones: Back; +6 to Wisdom score and checks made to control Limbo.
    51. Coordinator Implant: Brain; You gain a +2 bonus to Spot, Listen, and Will saves for each creature with the same coordinator implant within 5-ft per graft creator level. In addition when flanking with a creature bearing a coordinator implant you gain a bonus to damage equal to the graft creator’s Intelligence. When attacking a creature threatened by 2 other creatures bearing a coordinator implant you are considered to flank it (even if using a ranged attack). You gain a +1 additional bonus to hit a creature for each creature beyond the 1st with a coordinator implant also threatening it.
    52. Grafted Weapon: Hand; 1 handed weapon, Masterwork with scaling magical bonus starting at 4th level (up to +5 at 20th). Each application after the first grants +1 in magical properties; must be at least 4th level to apply more than once.
    53. Optical Battle Analytic: Eye; Half miss chance from concealment less than total, may sneak attack creatures with concealment less than total, +1 to hit with attacks per consecutive miss against the target as long as the target has less than total concealment.
    54. Shadow Cloak: Back; Gain 10% concealment, apply twice for concealment (20%).Takes till 11th level to apply a second time.

Evolutions wise I'm mostly satisfied except I haven't managed to have ones to make you Momir Vig (I will note I haven't read any M:tG novels so it's mostly based upon the fluff evident via Simic cards and Momir Vig from the cards) or Vorel or Zeganna... I need to add at least one of those but two of them are half covered with the Fathom Mage evolution.

And as for creatures I have these planned to create.
    Spoiler: Creatures by level
    Show
    1st: Aquastrand Spider, Birds of Paradise, Cloudfin Raptor, Crocanura, Doorkeeper, Frilled Oculus, Murmuring Phantasm, Slime Molding
    2nd: Acidic Slime, Battering Krasis, Clinging Anemones, Drake Familiar, Drakewing Krasis, Giant Spider, Gobbling Ooze, Nimbus Swimmer, Patagia Viper, Silkwing Scout, Sporeback Troll, Wind Drake
    3rd: Assault Zeppelid, Elusive Krasis, Helium Squirter, Plaxmanta, Renegade Krasis, Shambleshark, Simic Ragworm, Trygon Predator,
    4th: Adaptive Snapjaw, Air Elemental, Craw Wurm, Crowned Ceratok, Cytolast Rootkin, Indrik Stomphowler, Plaxcaster Frogling, Simic Manipulator, Skyline Predator
    5th: Cytospawn Shambler, Mahamoti Djinn, Omnibian, Sapphire Drake, Species Gorger
    6th: Clone, Force of Nature, Protean Hulk, Simic Basilisk, Simic Sky Swallower

These are going to be the hard part ultimately; specifically those with Graft or Evolve both of which require a suite of 5 or so options per creature, but are also what will hopefully make this class interesting to play and complicated enough to make you prepare a list of summons ahead of time.

And if I can do this without driving myself wholly crazy I am thinking about a graft using melee PrC (Simic Initiate) to go along with it, and feats to allow some dabbling access to the other Blue or Green guilds which would immediately teach certain spells from the relevant guild, grant an ability based on it, add a few creatures, and allow learning spells of the relevant color. Maybe even the potential for a Transguild PrC or feat, Nephilim based feats. In addition to that a list of sample "Exotic" spells which they can learn via rare scrolls but not level up which represent spells and creatures from outside Ravnica (such as the ability to summon say a Skaab or the Wreath of Geist spells from Innistrad of some sort a Slagwurm or Blue Sun's Xenith from Mirrodin).
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2015-01-02 at 05:25 PM.

Current Projects:

27. - Top - End - #387
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by roko10 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Just to Browse View Post
    I recommend going for it. If you write a cool class, how tenuously it is connected to the theme is unimportant.
    These two hit the right answers as far as I can see it--it basically depends on whether the voters consider it a tabletop and, perhaps more importantly, whether they care.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

28. - Top - End - #388

I was actually thinking of a more generic approach with something along the lines of a Metagamer class. Does that fit the theme?
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

God damn it. all the tabletop games I play often and fit are already taken.
    Game of Thrones and Civilization REALLY don't work in the DnD class system XD

Blarg....

Thinking required in order to find another game I play and can base myself at....

Flux maybe...but a game where even the rules are not constant (or sane) will be VERY hard to pull off

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    but a game where even the rules are not constant (or sane) will be VERY hard to pull off
    Just go on to build a class that screws with the rules/physics/logic as its main features.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    "What's this? A railroad? Well, we better cross it now, or the train will come along and sweep us down the tracks!"

*kills important NPC, avoids entire planned out plot*