New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class Challenge Chat Thread IV: All Your Base [Class] Are Belong to Us

I was worried because I was afraid that I would have missed the voting thread.
    Thanks you for managing those contests.
    Last edited by noob; 2016-03-23 at 02:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class Challenge Chat Thread IV: All Your Base [Class] Are Belong to Us

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    I was worried because I was afraid that I would have missed the voting thread.
    Nope. I just forgot completely because I've had a lot going on lately, even during spring break.

Thanks you for managing those contests.

Here's the voting thread!
    Last edited by Temotei; 2016-03-23 at 03:57 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

3. - Top - End - #873

Three participants still have to vote to qualify, and April 4th is fast approaching. In case you didn't see the link, it's in the post above.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #874
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

I was super sad panda I went on vacation then my parents Summoned(+10 because it was my BDay the 13th) me the last 2 days of the contest. :(
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2016-04-01 at 07:01 AM.

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

5. - Top - End - #875

1st Place: sengmeng's dude who does Tai Chi!

2nd Place: Salasay's verrück balancer!

3rd Place: noob's yet another chaos mage!

New contest will be up shortly.
    Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #876

Here we go!
    Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ettin in the Playground

Well it is weird nearly nobody voted.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I think that I've got a good idea for this one. I don't know if it will work, but it will be fun.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Banned

No spell list yet, but the sacred asp mage is otherwise a thing.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    1st Place: sengmeng's dude who does Tai Chi!

2nd Place: Salasay's verrück balancer!

3rd Place: noob's yet another chaos mage!

New contest will be up shortly.
    Yikes. It's a sad day when a monk fix wins.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

11. - Top - End - #881

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    Yikes. It's a sad day when a monk fix wins.
    Pfft. Take it as a compliment.
    Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #882

Planetar

Hey, alcohol is considered poison, right?

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Most things are poison if you have a large enough dose.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by roko10 View Post
    Drugs and poison aren't considered the same thing. For example, you automatically fail your fortitude save if you deliberately take a drug (?), wheres you can still take the fort save against poison (in fact, you have to).

I've been reading the BoVD too much. And possibly the BoED too much too, but that's another matter.

15. - Top - End - #885

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by roko10 View Post
    Most things are poison if you have a large enough dose.
    Drugs and poison aren't considered the same thing. For example, you automatically fail your fortitude save if you deliberately take a drug (?), wheres you can still take the fort save against poison (in fact, you have to).

I've been reading the BoVD too much. And possibly the BoED too much too, but that's another matter.
    Mechanically, alcohol may not be poison, but feel free to play with the theme. There's a reason one of the examples is a morally poisonous person--not everything has to be straightforward.

That said, I'm going to echo what I said last time: I don't vote. Other people do, and they can vote however they want. If they feel your class doesn't fit the theme, they might not vote favorably toward your class. Keep that in mind if it matters to you.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2016-04-08 at 09:41 AM.
    Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #886
    Banned

Your quote pyramid is inside-out.

Anyway, apart from "It has no spell list hurry up and give it a spell list", anyone have any thoughts so far on my class?

EDIT: Actually, I just realised that all of the bludgeoning substitutions are stupidly powerful and should allow saves even though the others don't. Let's change that.

EDIT EDIT: Changed.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2016-04-08 at 09:46 AM.

17. - Top - End - #887

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Your quote pyramid is inside-out.
    Psh. Nah. Nope. Never. Would never make that mistake almost eight years into my membership.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2016-04-08 at 09:42 AM.
    Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I think that I have something good, but I've got to say that I miss the old tables. They made it so much easier to see how the class was filled out and what needed tweaking.

19. - Top - End - #889

I think that I have something good, but I've got to say that I miss the old tables. They made it so much easier to see how the class was filled out and what needed tweaking.
    Agreed. Oh well.
    Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #890
    Banned

You're welcome. Also, you can set PifRo to "Normal" to see a table, "GITP" to see old code or "PIFBB" to see new code.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Okay, I'm about half done with the class. Thought I'd post what I have so I can visualize the framework and fix what needs to be done.

22. - Top - End - #892

MindFlayer

So I made this class to play a drunk brawler after finding Ocelemo's Oni Brawler, and realizing no DM would allow me to play it.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Looking over the asp mage I can think of one thing that can break the class at higher levels: Energy Substitution (Cold)

A lot of high level monsters have dexterity scores in the single digits. Something to consider.

And while I'm at it, Energy subsitution (sonic) instantly KOs any animal from a rat to a T-rex.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Banned

Ehh. Ability damage is good against things with low ability scores. Must be a Wednesday, what else is new?

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Don't get me wrong. I understand what you are saying, but we're talking about taking out something 5 cr higher than your level in one round with no saving throw. without even being all that optimized. This depends on spell list of course, but I'm using a fairly common evocation for my math here.

And you have to think "at what level can I reliably deal 27 energy damage in one hit" and that's the level you kill every great wyrm dragon with the fire subtype on the first round.

This is why effects that deal ability damage tend to be Save Negates.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2016-04-13 at 09:24 AM.

26. - Top - End - #896

The Metabolist is in a playable state. I'd like to give him more versatility, but I don't want to stretch the believability of the concept much farther. PEACHes welcome.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Nod, get treat.

27. - Top - End - #897

MindFlayer

I'm still refining the class adding in new flavors, but the core is done. So PLEASE PEACH THE BLACKOUT BRAWLER.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2016-04-25 at 12:01 PM.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

28. - Top - End - #898

Quote Originally Posted by Lanth Sor View Post
    I'm still refining the class adding in new flavors, but the core is done. So PLEASE PEACH THE BLACKOUT BRAWLER.
    Well, I like the flavor, but we've had alcohol as a theme before, and using it for the poison-themed contest doesn't feel like as strong of a tie to the concept as the other entries, but everyone can vote as they see fit. Honestly, all other aspects being equal, that would be the tipping point for whether you get my vote or not, so you'd have to outshine the other entries in other areas for my vote. I also can't say whether this wants to be the Drunken Master archetype or a more brutish barfighter. The Evasion says martial artist, many other features say brute. Either one is fine, but I'd like them more distinct. I guess I'm saying pick one or the other, or make the two more clearly divided paths the class can take.

I like a lot of his offensive and defensive abilities, and he gets maneuvers so he has non-boring combat options. I would allow it in my game and I would enjoy playing one. The thing I really don't like, though, is the endless flask. It's just too easy. It's like if a wizard could summon a spellbook any time, any number of times. It plays havoc with power and theme. Finding enough booze to fuel his abilities would be an interesting tactical and roleplaying challenge. I would not allow the endless flask, and I'd adjust the benefits from the different flavors to come from some other source.

So, it does what the name says, which I like, it's a melee fighter with fun options, which I like as well, but it's stretching the limits of the theme and has one class feature that rubs me the wrong way. That's just me, so take it with a grain of salt. Hope it helps.

Nod, get treat.

29. - Top - End - #899

MindFlayer

The flask is there because it would be unfair to give barbarians rage, but you could only rage when you met this special condition you may not be able to ever meet if you DM decides to be a jerk. Point blank wizard spell book I feel is bad design. Something so trivial should never be an off switch for a character. As far as flavors I don't see any reason why not it would add a lot of theme to the class.

If you have a problem with the flask unlimited use you can adopt a charges per day, say it can only produce 5 + level doses of alcohol per level and at level 20 it becomes unlimited.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2016-04-26 at 09:45 AM.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

30. - Top - End - #900

Quote Originally Posted by Lanth Sor View Post
    The flask is there because it would be unfair to give barbarians rage, but you could only rage when you met this special condition you may not be able to ever meet if you DM decides to be a jerk. Point blank wizard spell book I feel is bad design. Something so trivial should never be an off switch for a character. As far as flavors I don't see any reason why not it would add a lot of theme to the class.

If you have a problem with the flask unlimited use you can adopt a charges per day, say it can only produce 5 + level doses of alcohol per level and at level 20 it becomes unlimited.
    You can do as you like with your class. I'd never allow the flask in my campaign, but I might let him acquire a similar one as treasure. You're just trying to shore up a potential weakness in the class, and I get it, but there has to be a little trust for the DM to make a game fun and challenging. You can't fix jerky DMs with any class feature.

Nod, get treat.