New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Fixing 3.0 Psionics

After buying the Psionics Handbook a few weeks ago and joining these forums, I have come to figure out that 3.0 psionics is horribly messed up.
    The problem is, I have no idea how it needs to be fixed.
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix 3.0 Psionics without converting to 3.5, which I think takes the fun out of psionics?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Fixing 3.0 Psionics

Big problems:
    1) You cast from all 6 stats. Simultaneously. Your power selection ends up being poor and your save DCs are worthless
    2) You have very few power points, so you end up casting relatively little compared to a wizard of the same level
    3) Your powers do not scale, so as you progress in level the majority just get worse.
    4) Your power selection is horrible. No scaling combined with low power points means most are not worth bothering with.
    5) Psionic combat will eventually give you mind blast. You will do everything in your power to jack this up because it will because your only worthwhile trick. (If you run into actual psionic combat prepare to be worthless for the rest of the day).

3.5 Psionics is fun. 3.0 was a horrid nightmare; I've played both. What exactly turns you off about 3.5 psionics that doesn't exist in 3.0?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Big problems:
    1) You cast from all 6 stats. Simultaneously. Your power selection ends up being poor and your save DCs are worthless
    2) You have very few power points, so you end up casting relatively little compared to a wizard of the same level
    3) Your powers do not scale, so as you progress in level the majority just get worse.
    4) Your power selection is horrible. No scaling combined with low power points means most are not worth bothering with.
    5) Psionic combat will eventually give you mind blast. You will do everything in your power to jack this up because it will because your only worthwhile trick. (If you run into actual psionic combat prepare to be worthless for the rest of the day).

3.5 Psionics is fun. 3.0 was a horrid nightmare; I've played both. What exactly turns you off about 3.5 psionics that doesn't exist in 3.0?
    Well, mostly the psionic combat and the casting with multiple ability scores. To fix the first problem, I am working on expanding the power list to where nearly every ability is has roughly 7 spells per spell level to choose from. And I figured mind blast needed to be removed. Should i just use the power points used in 3.5?
    Also, working on tweaking a lot of powers. I mostly ditched the 3.0 list entirely, and I've ended up making my own.
    Last edited by Banjoman42; 2014-12-22 at 12:24 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Casting from multiple scores was utter hell. It made psion the worst PC class. I am not kidding on this. Belt of Magnificence did not exist yet, so you were pretty much screwed. If you could cast from one score (chosen by discipline) it would have been fun, but as it is your powers will have terrible saves that everyone but mooks will pass.

And Psionic Combat was a cool idea, but poorly executed. It eats through your meagre PP like a 6 year old after halloween and remember what I said about those terrible save DC's? Not to mention if you have the wrong modes you can suddenly get into situations where you auto-lose the combat.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Male

Even if you play 3.0 and do not allow 3.5, use 3.5 psionics. If you like psionic combat, check out Hyperconscious, from Malhavoc Press. Third party it may be, but it was written by Bruce Cordell and is actually useful, fast, and fun.

And as noted, do not play with manifesting from multiple ability scores. It's terrible.

Feel free to take a look at Lycanthromancer's psionic powers revision. It doesn't replace much in the 3.5 revision (the powers themselves aside) and is entirely compatible, aside from a few core changes (such as auto-scaling DCs with augmentation and replacing a number of powers with others). It's got some fun stuff in it.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2014-12-22 at 12:59 PM.