New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default Destructive Dispel

Is Destructive Dispel worth the feat? Sur it's sickened at the least, staggered at best. But it's only for a round, unless there's a trick to extend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by doko239 View Post
    Or be a Bard Lich and tell people you're Keith Richards
    If I'm a monk using lettuce as an Improvised Thrown Weapon, does that make me a salad-tosser ???
    Les Goblins Toxiques : A geek blog (in French) where I write about RPG, M:TG and such. Also has a podcast / radio show. RIP 2012 We had a great run but RL caught up with us!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Destructive Dispel

If you plan to dispel a lot, sure. No-save-just-suck is always nice.

Check with your DM how it interacts with area dispels as that is a point of contention.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Check with your DM how it interacts with area dispels as that is a point of contention.
    Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD
    Benefit: When you successfully make a targeted dispel check against an opponent,
    It won't work with area dispell.
    Last edited by With a box; 2014-12-22 at 11:27 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by With a box View Post
    And this is the interpretation I agree with. But just to play devil's advocate, GDM says:

Area Dispel: When greater dispel magic is used in this way, the spell affects everything within a 20-foot-radius burst. Roll one dispel check and apply that check to each creature in the area, as if targeted by dispel magic.
    The "as if targeted" makes it a bit murky.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by With a box View Post
    Greater Dispel Magic lets you make a targeted dispel against everyone in the area, which is a larger point of contention.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Greater Dispel Magic lets you make a targeted dispel against everyone in the area, which is a larger point of contention.
    Greater Dispel has multiple targeted dispels, that's not the same as an area dispel. If anything I'd allow multiple effects for it and not for the lesser version.
    Quote Originally Posted by doko239 View Post
    Or be a Bard Lich and tell people you're Keith Richards
    If I'm a monk using lettuce as an Improvised Thrown Weapon, does that make me a salad-tosser ???
    Les Goblins Toxiques : A geek blog (in French) where I write about RPG, M:TG and such. Also has a podcast / radio show. RIP 2012 We had a great run but RL caught up with us!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

By the time you get it (CL11) there's lots of better feats to get. Sickened isn't all that strong and lots of creatures are naturally immune to stun. A lot of the rest have high fort saves.

In short, unless you plan on a dedicated dispel build i'd say it's not worth it. Get a feat that's useful more often or, if you have to get a situational one, one that is more powerful.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm not really sold on the feat as a general feat for casters. The more generous ruling, in which you can Greater Dispel to hit everyone in an area with a no-save-and-suck, is pretty powerful assuming you can successfully dispel effects. Sickened is an OK condition, makes your enemy a little worse at everything.

If you're already considering investment in Dispelling, Destructive Dispel + Dispel Synergy (Ultimate Combat) + Spell Specialization (Dispel Magic) + Spell Perfection (Dispel Magic) + Quicken Spell, come 15th level, give you a pretty vicious high-CL dispel check, as a Swift action, that inflicts Sickened and -2 additional to your target's saves vs. your spells.

Granted, that's probably the majority of your feats right there. But it gives you a +4 to your Dispel check, which will really help you knock out a high-level buff; it allows you to follow up in the same turn with another knockout spell; and it inflicts a total -4 to your enemy's saves.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophismata View Post
    You are a bad, bad man, Abd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    'Psionics' is just tapping into the core of magic within yourself, whereas the mumbo-jumbo dancing, gibbering, and flinging around esoteric material components is like trying to paint-by-numbers when the guy next to you is rendering works from Picasso by memory alone.

Abd's contribution to the Animate/End A World project.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

It might be fun for an Arcanist who takes the dispelling and counterspelling exploits, since he'll get more opportunities to trigger it and will want to eke a bit more out of those spells, but it's going to be apretty niche thing, and its usefulness will be very contingent on what you run into. I'd rank it as decent for an Arcanist, potentially useful for a Sorcerer, and highly situational for a Wizard.