New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Raw Thread for 3.5 #28

Q 146

Project Image
    If you desire, any spell you cast whose range is touch or greater can originate from the projected image instead of from you. The projected image can’t cast any spells on itself except for illusion spells. The spells affect other targets normally, despite originating from the projected image.
    What if you cast via image Shadow Evocation(Scimitar of Sand/Flame Dagger/Blade of Pain and Fear)?
    Does it mean by spell duration you will get your one ghostly ninja, totally invulnerable to everything but antimagic, dispells and disjunction? (Yes, I know about the line of effect, but still...)
    Also, is it possible to use for it aforementioned spells without Shadow Evocation?

2. - Top - End - #362
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Q145 (Cont.): I'd like to make the tentacle hold an enchanted (Warning) shuriken so that the monster could get the bonus, but still make a grab attack. Any thoughts if I could do it?

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

A145 Ask your DM for a variation on the Prehensile Tail feat (Prehensile Tentacle?), or buy gloves of man. They're expensive (42000gp), but they do what you need.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    A 143 follow-up:

Correct on all counts.
    A143 follow-up contention

Scrolls and wands yes, but the rules are contradictory on potions. It states the imbiber has no control over effect, then goes on to say they do control it.

The character taking the potion doesn’t get to make any decisions about the effect —the caster who brewed the potion has already done so. The drinker of a potion is both the effective target and the caster of the effect (though the potion indicates the caster level, the drinker still controls the effect).

5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 143 follow up

Quote Originally Posted by Skevvix View Post
    A143 follow-up contention

Scrolls and wands yes, but the rules are contradictory on potions. It states the imbiber has no control over effect, then goes on to say they do control it.
    Which is what he said...

6. - Top - End - #366
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    A 143 follow up

Which is what he said...
    No, what he said was "Correct on all counts". But the rules actually contradict themselves, so it therefore cannot be "Correct on all counts"

7. - Top - End - #367
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q147
    What are the object considered held, carried, wield, worn ? By RAW would a shield spike or armor spikes satisfy these adjectives if you have in hand your usual primary weapon just like a natural weapon ? English is not my mother tongue, I make the difference between some of these words, not for all of them.
    Currently playing:
    - Dastrun "raging bulldozer" es Entragarth
    - Dolores the deceiver, beguiler of Queen Geleeda

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A147 partial Good question - I am not sure how many of these have game rule definitions - very few if any I think.

So, looking at dictionary meanings:

Held - this means one is actively using part of the body to carry it - usually this will be in a hand, but it can simply be in the arms or in the mouth. This is an active ability hence when stunned all held items are dropped. Armor Spikes in use are not held - they are fastened to the armor.
    Carried - This basically means that you move it with you, so in a backpack counts. It includes all the other categories listed here. The key is "supporting the weight" so a helium balloon is dubious. It does not include stuff on a cart you are pushing - the cart carries the item not you. Armor Spikes are carried while in use.
    Wielded - This is specific to weapons and means held in a fashion that the weapon is ready to use/in use. Oddly you don't "wield" armor spikes - they way they are used doesn't really encompass a condition that meets the definition.
    Worn - In English this basically only applies to clothing - armor is worn, armor spikes and swords are not. One can wear a bandolier of daggers but not the daggers themselves (usually). When an item is worn it is in use on a part of the body.

W.r.t "wield" I have checked the Oxford English Dictionary and the current usage does require the item to be held in the hand - one cannot wield an item in a paw, tentacle, foot or mouth by the definition. There were a lot of obsolete meanings so it is reasonable to say that if the weapon is readied for use it is being wielded, at which point an armor spike is being wielded when fastened to the armor an the armor is worn.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Skevvix View Post
    No, what he said was "Correct on all counts". But the rules actually contradict themselves, so it therefore cannot be "Correct on all counts"
    My bad, I had misremembered the original post.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 148

How many ways are there to recharge or simply not use a charge on use of a magic item? Thus Far I've found Clerics of Magic Dragon 342 and Artifact Lord epic destiny.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q149

How are artifacts different than magic items? Is it written in item's description? can you name a few examples?

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

A 149

Yes, Artifacts are labeled as such. The difference between regular magic items, epic magic items and artifacts is that the latter cannot be created with the usual (epic) item creation feats, they can only exist by GM fiat. Magic items can be found in the DMG on pages 215-268, Artifacts are on pages 277-282.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-09-05 at 10:43 AM.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

A 149: Contention

Mostly true, but if you can gain Divine Rank 1 you can make Artifacts, however the Test of Starstone is the only way you're getting close to that without DM fiat.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

I amended my answer to make it clearer. Google tells me that the Test of starstone is part of the Pathfinder rules, so not applicable here. So I stand by my deduction that artifacts cannot be created without GM fiat.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q150
    Can an incorporeal creature share its space with another incorporeal creature? Not something which is manifesting on another plane and thus incorporeal on the Material Plane (like just about anything on the Ethereal Plane) but stuff like Shadows and Wraiths which are just by virtue of their physiology incorporeal? Heck, even two Swordsages both using One With Shadow.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Q151 A
    I'm a little confused on the full attacks for creatures with multiple appendages. Can a dragon, say, make a full attack, using his bite, both claws, his wings and a tail slap? provided he is of course within range, the appropriate size, and on the ground?

Q151 B

Would all the iterative attacks come at a -5 penalty (-2 with multiattack feat), or does the penalty increment? So bite attack at -0, 1st claw at -5, second claw at -10, 1st wing at -15 etc...
    Last edited by TheFamilarRaven; 2014-09-05 at 05:51 PM.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

A 151

a) Yes.

b) Natural attacks do not get iteratives for high BAB (which suffer the cumulatiove attack penalty). If a creature has natural weapons it gets one attack with each of them regardless of BAB. One of those weapons is the primary natural weapon, all others are secondary. The secondary weapons only use 0.5*STR bonus to damage and suffer a -5 penalty to attack(-2 with multi-attack). The attack penalty is not cumulative. Thus a dragon would attack with: bite -0, claw -5, claw -5, wing -5, wing -5, tail slap -5.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-09-05 at 06:00 PM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

A 150
    There is technically nothing in the rules allowing an incorporeal creature to share the same space as another creature, only objects. This applies to both corporeal and incorporeal creatures. Since they cannot be grappled, one cannot even share a space with an incorporeal creature through those means. Ghosts are a specific exception with their malevolence attack.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 152
    Pounce vs Pounce
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manual, pg 313
    Pounce (Ex): When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack, including rake attacks, if the creature also has the rake ability.
    vs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage Species:Creating a Feral Creature
    Pounce (Ex): If a feral creature leaps upon a foe in the first round of combat, it can make a full attack, even though it has already moved.
    So, lets say I have character with the SS feral template, with enough HD to get pounce. Playing a 3.5 game, would I use the version of pounce that is in Savage Species, or would I use the more universal pounce from MM (the latter also being the type granted to lion spirit totem barbarians)?
    [CLEVER SIGNATURE] Insert Here [/CLEVER SIGNATURE]

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 152 Ask your DM.

Savage Species is pre-3.5 content. From page 4 of the 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide:
    This is an upgrade of the d20 System, not a new edition of the game. This revision is compatible with all existing products, and those products can be used with the revision with only minor adjustments.
    Your DM may want to make some minor adjustments.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Q 153

In the plainest English possible, what am I supposed to do each time I level up?

I'm building a level 12 Halfling-Druid and I was given a D8 and links to things that are all a bit overwhelming. So, when do I roll, where do I put that number and what, then, do I do with my skills?

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

A 153

Since you said you were given links I suppose that was the SRD. It does not have all the information you need. The Player's handbook (PHB) has the necessary information on pages 58 and 59. If that is not plain enough, I'll paraphrase:
    1.) Choose which class you want to take. If you want to build a 12th level druid this will be druid 11 times.
    2.) Adjust the Base Attack Bonus (BAB). It can be found on your class table (PHB p. 35 for the druid). the numbers are not cumulative but totals.
    3.) Adjust the Base Save Bonuses. They can be found on your class table (PHB p. 35 for the druid). Again numbers are totals.
    4.) On 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th and 20th level you may add another point to one of your attributes (STR, DEX, CON, WIS, INT, CHA)
    5.) Adjust your hit points. The standard way is to roll your hit die (d8 for the druid) and add your CON modifier. add this number to your current hit points (8+CON Modifier in case of a 1st level druid). There are also variants that give you a fixed amount of hit points, so ask your DM which method is used.
    6.) Add skill points. The druid gets 4+INT modifier. Each skill point adds one rank to class skills or one half rank to cross class skills. Which skills are class skills for the druid can be found on p. 34 of the PHB.
    7.) Select a feat. Every three level you can select another feat, just as you did during character creation.
    8.) More spells. Adjust the number of spells per day (Class table). The druid can prepare and cast all spells on the druid list, he need not select a couple of them.
    9.) write down all the class features (like wild shape or animal companion) the character gets for that level.

Done.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Thank you so much!

24. - Top - End - #384

Q 154

A) Can a chaotic evil Fiend of Possession use its Hide Presence ability to possess a lawful good creature and make it immune to all effects regarding alignment by making or failing checks as appropriate?

B)Hide Presence says that the Fiend can make a check vs. anything that targets alignment, but in the Control Creature ability description it says that the fiend is not subject to Unholy Blight, but is affected by Holy Smite. It uses a Balor possessing a Paladin for this example. Couldn't the Balor make a hide check vs. Holy Smite to ignore it as well?

C) Can the Fiend make this check while possessing an item? Possess Object says the Fiend is vulnerable to spells specifically targeting outsiders or creatures of the fiend's alignment.

It would appear that Fiend of Possession was given Hide Presence after all the other class features were finished, it isn't referenced in any of the other abilities when detecting or affecting the Fiend is brought up.
    Last edited by zergling.exe; 2014-09-06 at 12:34 AM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 154 A) Only sometimes.

Hide Presence lets the Fiend of Possession make a Hide check instead of a saving throw, which could let the FoP (1) avoid an effect if a successful saving throw would do so; or (2) pick either their own alignment or their controlled creature's alignment in response to alignment-based spells. However, the ability doesn't tell the Fiend of Possession when a particular saving throw would be beneficial to use Hide Presence against. For that, the FoP has to rely on a standard Spellcraft check or just make a guess. Note that a Spell-like ability such as Paladin Detect Evil has no somatic or verbal components, and thus Spellcraft won't let the FoP identify the effect.

A 154 B) No.

There is no spell DC (i.e., no saving throw) for Unholy Blight or Holy Smite unless the creature is neither Evil nor Good. Hide Presence lets the FoP "reveal" either their own alignment (CE) or the controlled creature's alignment (LG), and neither of those permit a save.

A 154 C) Partially.

The second function (pick either the FoP's or possessed creature's alignment) of Hide Presence is unavailable when the FoP is possessing an object. The first function (make a Hide check instead of a save) is usable, but obviously won't work against effects which don't have saving throws. And again, Hide Presence doesn't tell the FoP when making a Hide check would be a good idea.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Dwarf in the Playground

A147 precisions

Thank you for your answer. I suppose I wasn't specific enough since I had hoped for a generic answer if I find other cases.

To be more precise, if you have any weapon you can currently use (I suppose free draw at initiative determination wouldn't work) such as shield spikes or armor spikes, would eager ("while wielding it"), warning ("as long as it is held") or brash ("while wielding") properties work on them ?

Thanks by advance

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    A147 partial Good question - I am not sure how many of these have game rule definitions - very few if any I think.

So, looking at dictionary meanings:

Held - this means one is actively using part of the body to carry it - usually this will be in a hand, but it can simply be in the arms or in the mouth. This is an active ability hence when stunned all held items are dropped. Armor Spikes in use are not held - they are fastened to the armor.
    Carried - This basically means that you move it with you, so in a backpack counts. It includes all the other categories listed here. The key is "supporting the weight" so a helium balloon is dubious. It does not include stuff on a cart you are pushing - the cart carries the item not you. Armor Spikes are carried while in use.
    Wielded - This is specific to weapons and means held in a fashion that the weapon is ready to use/in use. Oddly you don't "wield" armor spikes - they way they are used doesn't really encompass a condition that meets the definition.
    Worn - In English this basically only applies to clothing - armor is worn, armor spikes and swords are not. One can wear a bandolier of daggers but not the daggers themselves (usually). When an item is worn it is in use on a part of the body.

W.r.t "wield" I have checked the Oxford English Dictionary and the current usage does require the item to be held in the hand - one cannot wield an item in a paw, tentacle, foot or mouth by the definition. There were a lot of obsolete meanings so it is reasonable to say that if the weapon is readied for use it is being wielded, at which point an armor spike is being wielded when fastened to the armor an the armor is worn.
    Currently playing:
    - Dastrun "raging bulldozer" es Entragarth
    - Dolores the deceiver, beguiler of Queen Geleeda

27. - Top - End - #387

Q 155
    Since Flyby Attack allows for diving attacks, and dive attacks say they function like charging (but with differing directionality requirements) and pounce allows full attacks on a charge...

If you have both Pounce, a fly speed with prefect maneuverability, and Flyby Attack, can you dive attack-full attack- and then fly away (so long as you have not already traveled your maximum distance per round)?

That is, does the specifics of Pounce (allowing a full attack with a charge in lieu of the typical "attack" standard action) override the general of flyby attack (completing a standard action in concert with move action) since it is extremely rare for a creature to have both abilities.
    [CLEVER SIGNATURE] Insert Here [/CLEVER SIGNATURE]

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 155 No.

A dive attack works like a Charge, but is a different action. Abilities which specifically refer to Charge do not apply to dive attacks.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A147 continued

This depends on the weapon:

For a sword the answers are yes yes yes

For shield and armor spikes they would be:
    eager ("while wielding it") - ask your DM.
    warning ("as long as it is held") - No
    brash ("while wielding") - ask your DM.

The "wielding" option is a DMs call and I would call "no" - you don't wield them - the "held" is a straight "no" - you are not holding it.

For a longbow it gets more complex, if you are carrying it in your hand unstrung it is "held" but not "wielded", strung would depend on how you are carrying it - if it is ready for use it is wielded, if not then not.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 156

A creature with no dark vision who has had both Ebon Eyes and Darkvision cast on it can see in black and white inside both magical and non-magical darkness.

Is this correct?

Q 157

Pinpointing a creature through the Listen skill still implies total concealment. Does pinpointing it by means of Scent incur in the same penalty?
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-09-06 at 06:58 PM.