New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Simple Raw Thread for 3.5 #28

Q 416

A Young Dragon friend of the party in one of my sessions has recently been severely wronged by a Dwarven Official NPC from the city they live in, and will probabbly want to take revenge. He will commission the party to go on a quest to retrieve an artifact for him to accomplish this goal, what is a good artifact for them to retrieve for him to do such a thing? Dragons are generally known for their natural strength and abilities, and less so for artifacts, so I'm having trouble finding something that will be powerful enough for him to want to wield while also being something that a young dragon would/could use.

(Sorry if this isn't a simple question)

2. - Top - End - #902
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sigh View Post
    Q 416

A Young Dragon friend of the party in one of my sessions has recently been severely wronged by a Dwarven Official NPC from the city they live in, and will probabbly want to take revenge. He will commission the party to go on a quest to retrieve an artifact for him to accomplish this goal, what is a good artifact for them to retrieve for him to do such a thing? Dragons are generally known for their natural strength and abilities, and less so for artifacts, so I'm having trouble finding something that will be powerful enough for him to want to wield while also being something that a young dragon would/could use.

(Sorry if this isn't a simple question)
    Regardless of its simplicity (or lack thereof), this is not in any way a rules question. You should start a new thread if all you want is DMing advice.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #903

PirateGuy

Gotcha, sorry. I'll post it in another thread, if anyone wants to help there they can.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Q 417

Does the Antimagic Field spell block line of effect, so that you cannot cast a spell through it that targets a creature on the far side of the field? Or does it allow spells to be cast through it, provided that they have no effect inside the field itself?
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2014-10-18 at 12:39 AM.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ettin in the Playground

A 417

The description, does not say anything about blocking LOE, so it does not. It only describes what happens to magic effects within the area of the AMF

6. - Top - End - #906

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Q415
    Say a printed heavy armor had a specific feat requirement to become proficient. Would that feat then make the character who had it proficient even if they normally cannot use heavy armor?
    The feat in question makes no mention of replacing the normal requirements for heavy armor proficiency.

Below is the line of text in question.
    "Learning to use (the) armor requires
    its own specialized feat slot: (feat name)."
    A 415

Knowing what feat exactly this is would assist in helping to determine requirements. In absence of knowing what feat you are talking about I will use Exotic Armor Proficiency, from Races of Stone.
    Prerequisites: Armor Proficiency of the appropriate
    sort (for example, you must have Armor Proficiency [light]
    to take Exotic Armor Proficiency [mammoth leather]).
    This means that in order to take the feat you have to be proficient in the armor category already.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    A 415

Knowing what feat exactly this is would assist in helping to determine requirements. In absence of knowing what feat you are talking about I will use Exotic Armor Proficiency, from Races of Stone.

This means that in order to take the feat you have to be proficient in the armor category already.
    Wouldn't help one bit. The only text we have is what I've posted. Sorry.
    Thanks for the precedent though. Suspected that would be the case when as I was typing my question the answer was staring me right in the face.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Wouldn't help one bit. The only text we have is what I've posted. Sorry.
    Thanks for the precedent though. Suspected that would be the case when as I was typing my question the answer was staring me right in the face.
    If it is homebrew armor, the answer is beyond the scope of the thread. If not, plkease disclose which armor you are talking about.

9. - Top - End - #909

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    If it is homebrew armor, the answer is beyond the scope of the thread. If not, plkease disclose which armor you are talking about.
    My question was about the interaction between specific feat requirement vs general proficiency requirement in D&D 3.5 and has been answered. Thank you.

But as you asked, the feat in question is Armor Proficiency (hydraulic) required for Hydraulic Armor, a heavy armor from the 3rd party book DragonMech.
    Though I was honestly only interested in the interaction I asked about. It's a case of one question which answers many questions. I ask about one feat and I learn about one feat. I ask about the interaction and I learn how every feat designed like this works within 3.5 and without.

Thanks again RAW Q&A folk for your diligence and correctness.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q418:Am I interpreting the pounce rules for the tiger correctly?

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Tiger

"Pounce (Ex): If a tiger charges a foe, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks."

As far as I can tell, this means the tiger

1) Charges and makes a single melee attack
    2) Makes a full attack, which includes 2 claw attacks and 1 bite attack
    3) Makes two rake attacks

For a total of six attacks in one turn. It could also start grappling, but since that system is notoriously complicated I'm going to forget about that option. Is this all correct?
    Last edited by HobbesB; 2014-10-18 at 12:39 PM.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ettin in the Playground

A 413

The rule does not say that the full attack is in addition to the single attack you normally get on a charge. so you can either get the normal single attack or a full attack including two rakes. For a total of two claws two rakes and a bite.

Due to the tiger's Improved Grab ability there is no drawback from starting a grapple if the bite (the last attack) hits.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-10-18 at 12:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 413

The rule does not say that the full attack is in addition to the single attack you normally get on a charge. so you can either get the normal single attack or a full attack including two rakes. For a total of two claws two rakes and a bite.

Due to the tiger's Improved Grab ability there is no drawback from starting a grapple if the bite (the last attack) hits.
    I thought that too, but the actual Pounce page states:

"When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack—including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability."

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ettin in the Playground

Specific trumps general.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

So do the full attack and rake benefit from the +2 to Attack Roll that charging grants?

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 419
    This is a bit of a silly question, but can anyone give the relevant sections of the SRD/Players guide that state what caster levels are sufficient to cast spells of a given level? I know that there are rules(the SRD's caster level section mentions that there are, and I know that I've used such rules in the past), the issue is that I'm not sure where I got them from at the moment, and I would like to know.

The stuff I'm looking for would be a quote or something that says that you need to have a caster level of 3 to cast a 2nd level spell, or something.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ettin in the Playground

A 419

There is no such rule. The rules only state that a character must have a sufficient caster level to cast a spell, but they never say what the minimum is.

A common houserule is that the caster level corresponding to the class level that first gives the character a slot of that spell level is the minimum, but the rules never say so.

For example Wizard 15 Archmage 5, without ever taking Spell Power High Arcana, has CL 15 but 9th level spell slots, Ur-Priest 10 has CL 10 and 9th level spell slots. Can they cast 9th level spells?

17. - Top - End - #917
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 419 The answer is "no" for several reasons (such as different classes getting levels of spells at different class levels. However the main reason is that there is no such rule - which is what enables most of the "early entry" tricks for prestige classes to work "by RAW". (they usually involve getting to cast nth levels spells at a level when they are normally not available).

Edit: Ah-well - sword-saged.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2014-10-18 at 04:04 PM.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 419

Actually, there is a rule. Only it's an implied rule rather than something explicitly written down.

On pg 171 of the PHB you have the following line when referring to casting spells using a lower CL:

and [Mialee] can’t cast fireball with a caster level lower than 5th (the minimum level required for a wizard to cast fireball).
    So there is a minimum caster level, and that minimum caster level is the level in which the character first gain access to the spell

Before someone suggests that this only applies to Wizards and Fireball, note it's an example, not an exhaustive list
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-10-18 at 04:11 PM.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 413
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesB View Post
    I thought that too, but the actual Pounce page states:

"When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack—including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability."
    Charge is a special full-round action. If Pounce modifies a Charge you can take the full attack instead of the normal single Charge attack as part of that special full-round action, with all the Charge restrictions. Full attack is normally a full-round action. If Pounce instead allows you to follow the entire Charge special full-round action with a full attack, you would only be able to make use of that allowance if you had a second full-round action available in the round.

Re: A 419

The answer is built into the various spellcasting class tables rather than in text form (with some exceptions, as per heavyfuel's quote). It's an answer specific to each spellcasting class.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2014-10-18 at 04:15 PM.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

Q 420

Is there any non-magical enhancement or modification to a weapon that will add 1 or more points of damage, that does not rely on the material it is made from?

21. - Top - End - #921
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 420 Yes.

Dragon # 358 features advanced construction properties for weapons and armor in "The Master's Forge" (pages 38-43). The Razor Sharp property adds +1 damage to slashing blades. The Enhanced Bracing property adds +2 damage to weapons set to receive a charge.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 420

May not be what you're looking for, but having a larger weapon will do the trick.

Githcraft weapons will deal 1 extra point of damage, but only against Psionic creatures.

Gloryborn weapon will deal 1 extra point of damage on a charge.

Helforged weapon will against flanked opponents.

Souldforged weapons will deal 2 extra points of damage against charging foes

I do not know of any such weapon quality that will outright deal extra damage
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-10-18 at 05:47 PM.

23. - Top - End - #923

Q 421

Are there any other Legendary weapons besides the four printed in Unearthed Arcana? Also, are there any rules for using Weapons of Legacy with UA's Legendary Scion classes?

24. - Top - End - #924

Q 422

Does the Dilate Aura apply to all of your auras? It doesn't specify selecting an aura to increase when you take the feat, but the way it's written indicates a singular aura.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    You could also go on an adventure for the magical strap-on, if you really want to make an adventure out of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Wizard View Post
    Come at me scrublord I'm ripped

25. - Top - End - #925
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 422 Ask your DM.

The feat doesn't specify any aura designation mechanism; it's silent on (a) whether it can affect multiple auras at all; (b) if yes, whether more than one can be affected per use; and (c) what action is required for each use. Having at least one aura active at the time you level up is enough to select the feat. After that, your individual DM will have to fill in the blanks, perhaps following the pattern of Devil’s Aura (a swift action for use).

26. - Top - End - #926

Q 423: Can a druid with the wild shape ability wild shape from one animal form to another or must he turn back into a human before changing into something else? E.g if said druid wild shapes into an eagle, could he wild shape directly from eagle form to that of a bear?
    "Now you'll see some real magic!"

Raikou Stormborn Thunder Incarnate and his elemental familiar Cyrus

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ettin in the Playground

A 423

Yes. Neither Wild Shape nor Alternate Form (on which Wild Shape is based) require the user to bei in his natural form to use the ability.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-10-19 at 02:40 PM.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Titan in the Playground

A421 No, and it's not something people often homebrew for either. Which is unfortunate because it's a neat concept.

29. - Top - End - #929

Q 424

If you have 20' reach, and from that distance, you attempt to sunder an opponent's armor. This triggers an Attack of Oportunity. However, if the opponent does not ALSO have 20' reach, do they still get to make an attack of opportunity? Can they opt to do something other than a melee basic attack? or do they have to forgo the Attack of Opportunity?
    [CLEVER SIGNATURE] Insert Here [/CLEVER SIGNATURE]

30. - Top - End - #930
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

amused Re: Simple Raw Thread for 3.5 #28

Q425 20 large flying creatures (say spider eaters) are flying towards you in a cluster, up, down, and all around (that is, 3dimensionally). They are each about 10 feet apart.You launch a fireball at them. About how many spider eaters could you hit inside the radius of your fireball?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2014-10-20 at 01:34 PM.