New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Level 15 monk build !

Hello everyone !
    My DM had an idea for a one shot. Here's the thing : We are level 15, and there's a demoniac invasion on our country, we're supposed to deal with it. Only obligation : We must have at least five monk level. Psionic, Incarnum, Abjurant Champion are not authorized. It will be a hard scenario, I need a big character and I suck when it comes to building a character. It's 3.5 point buy, 32 points. So, can you help ? We will be fighting demons almost exclusively.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Level 15 monk build !

Quote Originally Posted by Slimmy View Post
    Hello everyone !
    My DM had an idea for a one shot. Here's the thing : We are level 15, and there's a demoniac invasion on our country, we're supposed to deal with it. Only obligation : We must have at least five monk level. Psionic, Incarnum, Abjurant Champion are not authorized. It will be a hard scenario, I need a big character and I suck when it comes to building a character. It's 3.5 point buy, 32 points. So, can you help ? We will be fighting demons almost exclusively.
    rubik built a monk that at lvl 20 could take down all the eldar evils. its insane, ask him nicely for a link i cannot find right now and just take the level 15 ;)

though a mixture of Stilton and parmesan was probably used in its cooking, but hey your in high level play anyway and forced to take MONK! so i think its fine for a little cheese.
    Last edited by sideswipe; 2014-08-26 at 10:09 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Male

What sources are allowed, first of all?

Secondly, use your equipment to your utmost advantage.

And third, look up the various monk handbooks and use all the ACFs you can find.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

errr beetlejuice.... thats creepy.....

but just the man

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    What sources are allowed, first of all?
    Sources : Player's handbook I and II
    Dungeon master's guide I and II
    Complete adventurer
    Complete divine
    Complete arcane
    Complete warrior
    Magic item compendium

That's not all, he mostly made a list of what he refused and what he accepted without discussion, but there's a possibility to negociate. It's mostly on a case by case basis.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Level 15 monk build !

There is always Monk 5/Druid 10 to turn into a bear who knows Kung Fu.

Alternatively, if you like Shar, The Dark Moon Disciple gives you permanent shadow blend at Monk 7. Build a scouting build off of that.

You can also get 9th level spells if you want. Monk 5/Ur Priest 10.
    Last edited by Rebel7284; 2014-08-26 at 10:25 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yeah, Ur-priest would be so freaking cool. I mean "spell resistance against the spell like abilities of outsiders". In a demon-fighting campaign, that would be really really cool. (I think we're supposed to descend into the abyss...Funny, the fiendish codex has always been my favorite 3.5 book)
    But one of my friends is already making this prestige class for divine caster monks, so...
    I will look into the dark moon disciple, but I'm afraid a scout would be kinda weak in this highly lethal campaign.
    Last edited by Slimmy; 2014-08-26 at 10:38 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Male

How about monk/ur priest/sacred fist?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Could be, but there's a veto on evil characters. So...Druid monk could work out I guess.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Slimmy View Post
    Could be, but there's a veto on evil characters. So...Druid monk could work out I guess.
    IIRC, there's a non-Evil adaptation in the book for ur-priest.

It's not like stealing power from others is Evil, after all.

Steal from Evil and use that power against them.

Steal power from reality itself. It's not doing much with it, so it's just going to waste.

Steal power from those who worship you in a cult you started. That's what gods do, after all, and you're just following in their footsteps. Your goal is to become a deity yourself.

And so on.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Level 15 monk build !

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    IIRC, there's a non-Evil adaptation in the book for ur-priest.

It's not like stealing power from others is Evil, after all.

Steal from Evil and use that power against them.

Steal power from reality itself. It's not doing much with it, so it's just going to waste.

Steal power from those who worship you in a cult you started. That's what gods do, after all, and you're just following in their footsteps. Your goal is to become a deity yourself.

And so on.
    There is an "Ur Priest of a dead god" adaptation that allows them to worship a deity, there is no RAW way to play Ur Priest as a good character (outside of qualifying as evil while actually being good...)

There are a lot of ETHICAL questions about why an atheist class is automatically evil when the flavor is obviously neutral.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Just use divine crusader instead.

Monk 7 / lion totem barbarian 1 / divine crusader 1 / competitive 1 / sacred fist 7 / anycaster+2 / anything 1
    Feats: weapon focus, stunning fist, combat casting & combat reflexes.
    Stunning fist and combat reflexes can be picked up as a monk bonus.

If dragon is allowed, you can replace the 1st & 6th level monk feats for turn undead, aura of courage, and smite evil as a 7th level paladin. Monk 7 also allows you to go darkmoon disciple & mantis leap which solves all your offensive and defensive problems. You also get 9th level spells from two domains, if you also go ordained champion you'll pick up the war domain and sovereign speaker from Eberron can grant several more which practically goes hand in hand with divine crusaders. The 14 levels of unarmed can be taken to level 20 using superior unarmed strike and a monk's belt.