New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Foxside: The Temple of Inari 51

[Hospital]

The two nod and head inside.

[Sanctuary]

Tsukiko, Caroline, Steven, Felina, a somewhat unsettling looking large black winged equine creature, and a strange black unicorn pony thing are all here.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2014-10-02 at 07:55 PM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Alas, Sunder lacks the ability to peer beyond the fourth wall.

That's more of Fortuna's thing.

~I'm no mark interpreter, but I would guess it has something to do with dream or sleep magic?~ Sunder ventures. Spells really aren't a realm of thought that she's particularly well versed in. Heck, she isn't even very good at pegasus weather magic. She's got her weird variant on cloud busting magic that can be applied to a much wider range of things, but that's about it.

And then?

Talk of... some dude.

Who has a weird sounding name.

~Who's Tenjin?~
    she asks, utterly clueless.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Another priestess, Tavlii, is just returning to the sanctuary. She looks quite curiously at the horse-creatures, but assumes (correctly) that they are with Tsukiko, and nothing to pry into.

"Lady Caroline! You're back!"
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2014-10-02 at 07:51 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #364
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

The normally quiet boy shouts out to get attention.

'Excuse me! Um, sorry to interrupt everyone.'

He steps forwards with the woman, and looks to his most recognised figure of authority. 'Lady Caroline, I found this woman trying to poison one of our patients - a DART agent, no less. I... wasn't quite sure what procedure was for these circumstances, so I bought them here...'
    Last edited by Baeleck; 2014-10-02 at 09:42 PM.
    Active Nexus Characters: Urias Starsailor

5. - Top - End - #365
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Caroline grins

Tavlii! It's so good to see you again! Yes, I'm back and everything's ok, now.

Oh dear...

Tsukiko nods

Karai Tenjin: The Celestial God of Fire and Thunder, sworn enemy of Inari and all fox-kind. He's the one responsible for the bombing of the temple, the rape and murder of Caroline's little sister, the kidnapping of Inari, and in general much death and despair.

Dark Dreams bows her head

I did not know of those things...

Tsukiko shakes her head

It is not your fault, Dreams. Now...

Then, Urias...

Caroline makes an enraged, strangled sound. Felina stiffens and bares her teeth.

Tsukiko? She rises off the ground as what little color there was drains from her body and her eyes glow red. Nine fluffy tails appear and wave in the air behind her, and her voice turns harsh as she drifts toward Urias and the woman.

You have made your last mistake, follower of Terror, and now you shall be made an example of. Urias, please do stand back.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2014-10-02 at 08:13 PM.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Urias doesn't need telling twice. Tsukiko is imposing and more than a bit scary. He releases the DART agent and scampers back a good few paces.

What was she about to do? Certainly not something pleasant.

7. - Top - End - #367

[Sanctuary]

"Glad to hear that."

Tavlii also stands back, just in case.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #368

[Sanctuary]

~Sounds like a complete bastard,~ Sunder hisses at the disecription, then makes a comforting noise at Dreams. ~Hey, don't worry about who you used to be involved with. You're one of my little pones now. Not one of that piece of ****'s stooges.~

And then a DART agent!

A rather wide, rather nasty smile rends it was across the nightmaere's face, looking more like a tear edged with jagged shadows than an actual mouth. ~Oh hey, an assassin. Assassins are tasty, I hear.~

That would certainly be one person Sunder wouldn't feel bad about eating!

Hmm...

That sure is one upside to the partly undead thing.

She can recruit bad guys!

But right now? She gets to watch Tsukiko do her thing.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

And understanding dawns on the DART agent, when understanding availeth not.

Wait... no... um, I can explain...

Tsukiko doesn't really care to listen

Enjoy being as powerless as your victims, murderer. You have slain fourty three people in their own beds, twenty seven in public hospitals, thirty at universities, eighteen at high school, and TEN AT ELEMENTARY.

The agent tries to dodge, but there is no escape from the supernatural speed of the enraged nine-tail. Tsukiko touches her and her eyes and mouth open wide in a soundless wail of despair and pain. It is over in the blink of an eye, and there is a red-eyed shadow standing where the woman once was. The shadow fidgets: torn between hunger for the living and fear of the enormously powerful shadow entities standing there in judgement on her.

I will not have her left like this, whatever her crimes: who will take the next step?

Tsukiko waits for suggestions.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Urias winces visibly at the display. By all right, he knows he should be opposed to what just took place. He said he wouldn't hurt the woman, and he meant it. Directly or indirectly.

That said, if the statistics Tsukiko just quoted are true, he really doesn't feel bad about it at all. What does worry him is just how easy it was to detain this person. How had they been allowed to murder so many until now? Why had they not been stopped sooner?

He remains silent at Tsukiko's question.
    Last edited by Baeleck; 2014-10-02 at 09:05 PM.

11. - Top - End - #371

[Sanctuary]

"I am not sure what was done to her, Holy Tsukiko."
    Tavlii peers at the shadow of the DART agent.

"Ah. I would take the last step. If there is no one else..."
    She takes a few careful steps towards the shadow creature.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #372
    Bugbear in the Playground

*A masked and fluffy head peaks out from behind a wall* Frozen in time in a cell? then it goes back to hiding in a most brave fashion behind the wall*
    inner circle Legionary of Resiliance
    I love my Ceikatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

Not here as much. I am out Roman around.

13. - Top - End - #373

[Sanctuary]

Sunder glowers at the shadow.

Part of her wants to just destroy the thing. She could do that, easily. Stomp it straight out of existence. But at the same time... She could help this... this monster redeem herself in the service of good. And that's better than simply killing her, isn't it? To allow her to work to make the world a better place than it is?

~Justice demands her destruction,~ Sunder says slowly, her telepathic voice broadcasting to all present. ~But... I think I can offer mercy. If she were released now? Shadows hunger for the living. She would keep hurting people like the piece of **** she is. But if I make her into one of my little ponies?~ The nightmaere glances back at Dark Dreams and offers a somewhat spooky looking, though genuine, smile. ~She can start a new life working for me, and me for you, Lady Zookiko. My spawn share my partly living nature. It makes the hunger more of an itch. And since we can feed on undead in place of the living...~

That makes self control so much easier.

~Let her work to pay off her debt to the living. Simple destruction is empty.~

14. - Top - End - #374
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Tsukiko smiles and nods, then looks at Tavlii

I apologize, Tavlii, but I think I would prefer Sunder's approach. I have been instructed, however, about a request you made to the prime avatar: she will be coming to your facility in person shortly.

She turns to Sunder

I am well pleased at your offer and your decision. Yes, true execution is occasionally necessary... but this person does not deserve quite that much. Renew her, that she may repay and learn.

15. - Top - End - #375

[Sanctuary]

Tavlii nods.
    "You asked, Holy One. May Sunder do more good with her."
    They'll have them both in the end, anyway.

She circles around to stand by Sunder.
    "I will only observe anything done. And thank you for the notification."
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2014-10-02 at 10:00 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #376

[Sanctuary]

Sunder gives a slight bow Lady Tsukiko before stepping forward, her mane of fluid gloom suddenly coming to life with a rather intimidating array of hooked tendrils, the sight of which makes the shadow rather uneasy. It leaves one to wonder if she still possess the cognitive ability to realize that what's about to happen is probably better for her than the alternative.

Like a panther, Sunder pounces, the tendrils of her mane lashing around the screeching shadow and pinning it to the ground. The creature thrashes and twitches, but to not avail, as motes of cold white light drift up the nightmaere's mane and into her body. It takes... well... longer than Tsukiko's draining of the living human took, that's for sure. But after several awful seconds of wailing the shadow dissolves into nothing.

Then?

Sunder convulses. She heaves, her eyes screwing shut and mouth snapping open as she vomits gallon after gallon of liquid gloom onto the sanctuary floor.

Thankfully it doesn't have any smell. Just a sense of supernatural, cloying coldness.

A few seconds later, Sunder is done siring her new spawn, the process leaving her gasping for breath and looking generally haggard. Then the puddle rises, forming into a black earth pony mare. She looks... more solid than Dark Dreams does. Her angles slightly sharper and more predatory. Sunder just sired a nightshade spawn rather than a gloomling.

The new spawn blinks around the room for a moment with wide yellow-green eyes before sitting heavily down on her haunches. "Mistress? Am... I did bad things, Mistress... I'm a bad pony..."

Sunder does her best to offer a reassuring smile. ~You aren't a bad pony. You were a bad human. And now you've got a chance to do better. Do you have anything to say to these people?~

Urias is given a somewhat sheepish look. "I'm sorry I tried to kill your patient. That was wrong..."

17. - Top - End - #377
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Urias is well accustomed to nasty things happening to people. Being a healer in a time of war generally has the affect of desensitizing oneself to the more gruesome occurrences. He's young, yes, but nevertheless unflinching in the face of battlefield amputations and blunt weapon trauma.

What just happened here was very affecting, however. It was terrible, but strange. As the shadow creature writhed and screamed, Urias swallowed hard, like he understood.

Then, the newly arisen nightshade spawn addresses him. His response is cogent, but the half-drow seems dazed. 'Yes. Yes, it was. And now that you know it's wrong, it won't happen again, will it? That's good.'

18. - Top - End - #378

[Sanctuary]

Tavlii shivers.
    Was she ever like this being? They say not. Probably never had a chance. Maybe would have been. Irrelevant.

"Is this shadow in any way the same being who entered here as a DART agent?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #379
    Pixie in the Playground

Sanctuary

Caroline and Felina are every bit as dazed and overwhelmed as Urias.

Tsukiko nods, her nine tails waving gently

Her Perception is unaltered. Her memories, however, will be vague and cloudy: she will remember academic knowledge, basic facts, and her feelings most clearly. This is due somewhat from the changes and somewhat because human memories do not necessarily correspond well to her new form. Her abilities now are translated from the abilities she once had.

Her overall personality is based on what it once was, but is now heavily influenced by her new form and modified by the overrides of Sunder's control.

Dark Dreams nods

I remember that I was once a priestess of Tenjin... but that fact means nothing to me anymore. I know that I once hated the Vulpans, but I can no longer understand why, and in fact I am rather embarrassed to admit it. I remember how I felt when I first was recruited, but trying to recall how something looked... before... is nearly impossible.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

Steven, who has been skipped enough in the last day, appears quite shaken by all of these events happening before him.
    "Caroline, I think I want to go inside." he says, softly and shakily.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

21. - Top - End - #381
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sanctuary -> Garden]

Caroline nods

Yes, let's get out of here.

and she hurriedly leads Steven out of the sanctuary

I am coming to the conclusion that dawdling in the sanctuary is hazardous for one's sanity.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2014-10-03 at 10:06 AM.

22. - Top - End - #382

[Sanctuary of Weirdness]

The new nightshade spawn's ears flatten a bit when people begin talking about her as if she weren't there. Or worse, as if she were an object of curiosity rather than a person. "I have a name. I'm Bella Donna."

As she speaks the name aloud a glow briefly illuminates her flank, accompanied by what can only be described as a flashing sound. Where previously there was only dark fur she now sports a simplified image of a star-shaped cluster of five leaves with a dark colored berry in the center. Considering that she spent much of her adult life poisoning people, that's probably a fitting mark.

Bella peers at her new tramp-stamp for a few moments before shrugging.

"I can remember facts about my old life. I remember I did lots of awful things for DART. But I... just don't understand why I ever thought it was a good idea. I hated the Vulpans before, but now the reasons all seem absurd," she bites her lip, averting her gaze slightly. "DART thought Doctor Johnson was a security threat, so I was supposed to poison him."

She looks over at Urias, a pleading look on her face. "He's going to be alright, isn't he? DART might try again when they find out I failed. They'll probably try to kill me, too, when they learn that I've switched sides."

Sunder leans down to give Bella a reassuring nuzzle. ~You're one of my little ponies now. If DART wants to hurt you, they'll have to go through ME.~

23. - Top - End - #383
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Urias reeeealy wants to follow Caroline and Stephen away from this situation. As it is, however, he stays put to talk to Bella.

'If they're going to try again, then we're going to be ready for them, don't you worry.' The boy nods in determination. 'He'll be fine. And you'll be fine too.'

So the doctor knows something important, hmm? Urias isn't going to try and fathom what that is - Bella likely didn't know the details in the first place, let alone remember them now. Maybe when he's recovered, someone can inquire about what it might be.

24. - Top - End - #384

[Sanctuary]

"This is not just, Holy One, even for her crimes. She should be allowed to die."
    Tavlii scowls at the newly named Belladonna.

And checks that all her bodies have their suicide measures in place. Tsukiko and her shadow creatures are a lot more threatening to her, even as a priestess of Inari, than DART ever has been.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #385
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Tsukiko looks well and truly baffled

If she worshipped no-one as is most likely, or had converted to Tenjin, then she would be lost and helpless with a heavy taint of evil: she would be snatched up and tormented into a devil or demon. If she worshipped some random evil god, then it's already a foregone conclusion that torture into mindlessness is her lot - though I admit we might have a visit from their Messenger demanding her return if that is the case, which we would be compelled to honor. If she is the fallen worshipper of some good deity who never fully repudiated their worship, then she would likely be tortured a while before being handed over to the devils or demons - this has the same issue that it is possible we would have to surrender her.

But sometimes a rambly dissertation helps one realize the real point.

Ah... I see... You may appeal to Tamamo or Inari if you feel that I have acted out of line in turning her into a shadow.

She drops to the ground and resumes her usual form.

26. - Top - End - #386

[Sanctuary]

Bella's ears flatten against her skull at Tavlii's comment. "I'm pretty happy about being alive, thank you very much. I would rather have a chance to make up for all the suffering I caused instead of being tortured forever by guys in red tights with pitchforks," she says, giving her tail an irritated flick. "I never worshiped any gods. Some of my associates tried to get me involved with some patron of assassins, but that just seemed like superstitious nonsense to me. I was a professional. I didn't need some skulking cutthroat deity looking out for me."

She calms a bit, her ears creeping up again.

"And if you had just killed me, I wouldn't be able to share my knowledge on DART. In the event that I failed, the backup plan is to send in an injured, brainwashed lackey with an explosive vest. When they're admitted to the hospital they're supposed to find Doctor Johnson and blow themselves up,"
    Bella says, looking somewhat sickened at just verbalizing that scenario. "I still have two hours to report back. If I don't call my handler in DART by then, they'll assume I was killed or turned into a koi."

Inari's habit of turning villains into fish is somewhat infamous.

Bella takes a deep breath before she continues. "A-after I had my daughter I tried getting out of DART," she explains her gaze falling to the ground. "I wanted to find a new job, something that wouldn't put Wisteria in danger. When I expressed my plans to my handler, DART took Wisteria to one of their safe-houses to keep her 'secure'."

Kidnapping and blackmail to keep employees in line?

What a lovely organization DART is.

She gives those gathered a pleading look. "In two hours, DART will assume I'm dead or compromised. A-and they won't have need of my daughter anymore. Please, help me save her."

Sunder stands up a little straighter. ~You can count on me to help you out, Bella Donna. There's no way I would leave one of my friends hanging like that.~

27. - Top - End - #387
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Urias sees this whole situation as a big moral dilemma, but he feels powerless in relaying his opinions on the matter. It wasn't his place to decide. He had deferred his opinions on the matter the moment he'd bought Bella here.

But then there's the revelation of the hostage daughter. Of all the people, Urias knows what an ordeal that is. What Wisteria must be going through. And what that situation will make a mother do.

He grasps the pendant around his neck tightly, forcing back bad memories.

'Two hours is nothing. We need to act - fast.' Urias seems really quite angry, all of a sudden. 'Bella, have you any idea where this safe house might be? Tell us as much as you know.'

Whether Tsukiko's actions were right or not is irrelevant right now. An innocent girl was in imminent danger.

28. - Top - End - #388

[Sanctuary]

"Ah. You are concerned with the associated soul. My people, we do not have such things. When we die, there is an echo, that might be called back. It endures for a while. Then we are truly gone, for good. She lived, by all accounts, as a heartless, selfish monster with only a tiny fragment of humanity. Force her to swear faith and take her soul, perhaps, but it is only right to let her mind die. Regardless, I bow to your knowledge of such things, Holy One. Whether she is flesh or shadow makes no difference."

Tavlii stares at the cultist, deadpan. Well, gotta save the innocent girl at least. Philosophy and contingency plans for getting as far away from Inari and her people as possible, in every dimension and continuity, can be handled by other bodies. It's all business here.

"We'll do what we can. If the girl has some highly distinct identifying trait, we could try our locator spell. It might be necessary to get the location from a DART higher-up. Do you have any way to find or meet with the handler other than the call? Can you report a false success to buy more time?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Garden

Steven shakes his head, clearing his mind of shadows and assassins and ponies. And shadowy assassin ponies.

"Yeah, you're not kidding. Not sure if there's much you can do about that, though. Comes with the territory of the place, I think.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

30. - Top - End - #390
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Tsukiko closes her eyes briefly

Urias is correct: we have no time for philosophical debates on the nature of existence. The one I would prefer to have sent is unavailable... so despite the risk, I will accompany you myself if you will have me.

[Garden]

Caroline shudders

There are times I almost regret coming to the Nexus... but then I would never have met you, Steven. I can't promise anything ...

she sighs

No... I can promise it will stay weird as long as we are here in the Nexus. It is this place... it breeds strangeness. It accelerates things that were meant to take their time and delays things that were supposed to happen. It... it changes everything.

Caroline is trying her best to reassure Steven, but she is still very upset herself.