New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Foxside: The Temple of Inari 51

[Full Moon Party]

Sunder gives a small nod at that. "I suppose they are... yes. That would be a tidy thing to do."

And then?

She'll approach the gathering of werefoxes near the stage. She's fully expecting tails to fluff and ears to fall, but maybe, in time, that won't be their reaction to she and her kin any longer. But the question is, how? How to win that trust? What must she do to make her little ponies accepted?

That's what she's going to find out.

"Excuse me?"
    the nightmære says, her tone polite. Just... loud enough to be heard over the music. "I was hoping I might be able to ask for some advice from you."

A nightshade asking for advice from the living?

That's certainly new.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Full Moon Party]

Urias shakes his head. 'Again, maybe. But no.'

Then, he looks up and over at where Bella and Wisteria are stood.

'I think I want some snacks. Do you fancy anything? Some brain food to help you mull things over?' he asks.
    Active Nexus Characters: Urias Starsailor

3. - Top - End - #573
    Pixie in the Playground

[Full Moon Party]

-- Howsie Doosit? --

Sunder's expectations are not disappointed as once again, a lot of ears do indeed fold down and tails go bristly and curl underneath accompanied by nervous swallowing and looking around at each other (and to verify the lack of holy wrath falling down). But one steps forward and salutes

Lt Karl Fredericks, ma'am, and the reports of your daring rescue of Inari's avatar is very glowing back at the base! What can we do for you?

That causes a stir among the civilians, and fear rapidly melts into curiousity. Dark Dreams finds herself surrounded

Hello...

-- Urias --

Katrina nods

Yeah, something to eat would be awesome.

4. - Top - End - #574

[Full Moon Party]

Hopefully none of the children decide that Dark Dreams' tail requires braiding. Who knows how that would end?

Sunder reaches out with a wing and briefly places it on Dark Dreams' withers just to remind her that she's still there. No reason to start feeling all uncomfortable now. The nightmære briefly inclines her head at the mention of helping to save Inari's avatar; a simple acknowledgement, really. There isn't any reason to say more about it.

"I've noticed that many people are understandably uncomfortable around myself and my little ponies and I'm hoping to find a way to put minds at ease," Sunder says. "We don't feed on the living; all of my little ponies are forbidden from doing so. Instead, we prey on the undead, redeeming them into my herd. This hasn't proven to be enough for people to trust us, however. What more should we do?"

This is a pretty honest, heartfelt plea.

She doesn't want people to be frightened of them.

That makes it harder to make friends!

And that's terrible.

5. - Top - End - #575

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    [Full Moon Party]

Caroline smiles

The current facility occupies three acres and the existing buildings have scope for about eight hundred permanent residents, and we are at seventy-five percent capacity. We have temporary facilities for two hundred more people, and they are filled. We have a three hundred bed hospital which is at eight-five percent capacity, a daycare of over a hundred, and a school with seventy eight full time students which is already more than the current facilities are really designed for - and people are still signing up.

Donations are up, the blue-ice giftshop is running in the black once more, and we have started clearing a rather silly amount backlogged accounts receivable for certain scheduled services.

With our projected growth, we are already in negotiations to purchase the property at 5 cherryblossom and expanding into it.
    Magtok moves his mouth as he tries to work past his stupefaction and assemble some sort of coherent response. He can't seem to figure out anything to say at first, though, and just flaps his lips like an idiot, completely baffled by that utterly overwhelming set of statistics on the temple. Holy cow, it's like an entire city-state in here!

"That...wow. Wow." So that whole thing about MagMart being a preferred vendor meant waaaay more than he thought. Looks like it's time for more sake.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

6. - Top - End - #576
    Bugbear in the Playground

Alexis

Yeah, but ponies and unicorns are different! Ponies existing doesn't mean unicorns exist. I just swat one though, so I believe you.
    Also, this is like my first time from my home so...

Alexis replies.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ogre in the Playground

Full Moon Party

Steven slips over to grab something to eat, too. He avoids any an all mouse-related things there, if any exist (weird foxes. He can still say that). And he's still trying to figure out the taste buds of this body. Urgh, it's quite frustrating to do all of this over again.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

8. - Top - End - #578
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Full Moon Party]

Upon reaching the snack table, Urias will grab himself a plate and begin piling up a varied selection of nibbles and hors d'oeuvres. With a preference to the rice-based items, of course. He does enjoy rice a lot.

When Steven heads over, Urias will step off to one side to pour out a drink for himself. He doesn't make the distinction that it's Steven immediately, but when he does, he'll receive a smile and a quiet word of 'congratulations.'

A smile and polite nod will also be offered to Bella, assuming she's still stood nearby.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Pixie in the Playground

[Full Moon Party]

-- Sunder --

Karl nods

Truth be told, Ma'am, it was a rough time at first. Coming here, we faced people who knew our weaknesses and weren't afraid to use 'em. People would put gin in our drinks just to watch us keel over and die, barbers would suddenly have a favorite razor made from a hound's bone... it was rough.

But under the leadership of Lord Fenric, we continued to help them anyway, but not in the big gesture sense - it was the daily tasks: healing the folk, helping them with their daily concerns, being there when they needed us. This was a fishing town, and that's a hard life. Once we were not only less of a threat than the usual hazards of their own daily lives, but helped them get over those... well, we started to be the good guys. After a while we had people coming and asking to be infected because of the healing - ropes and fishhooks aren't bone these days... That settled out, too, after a while - but watch for it.

He pauses to give Sunder a chance... Dark Dreams continues as impassively as ever

Yes, I was reborn as one of Lady Sunder's children. No, I don't wish to ever return. Yes, you can braid my tail: go ahead.

oh, well....

-- Magtok --

Caroline chuckles softly, recognizing Magtok's amazement

It has been a while, but we're back now. Oh! I almost forgot... the people we got the tank from still have a base out in the mountains. It is small - only about two hundred people altogether - but I am also encouraging them to start getting their supplies from you.

-- Alexis --

Fennekin bounces around for no readily apparent reason

kin!
    You're silly, Fen!
    You should get some treats!

-- Myrrh Balm --

The kitsune tilts her head

What are you going to do, now?

-- Steven / Urias --

Just avoid the black trays, Steven. But his nose will tell him.

Katrina doesn't know who Bella and Wisteria are, so she doesn't really pay attention. On reaching the table, she gets a selection for her plate. Then she looks around, and catches scent of a dark fox with traces Caroline's scent.

Steven?
    Last edited by Fenric; 2014-10-11 at 10:53 AM.

10. - Top - End - #580

[Full Moon Party]

Bella is quietly eating a rice ball while Wisteria is busy stuffing her face with sweets. Bella has finally let her daughter off her back, but she isn't letting her stray very far. When the nightmære spawn notices Urias she smiles a small smile and nods back. "I wanted to thank you again," she says, wrinkling her nose a bit. "I know that must sound strange, thanking you for getting me killed. But it got me out from under DART's thumb and returned my daughter to me. My Mistress has been a far more agreeable employer thus far than DART ever was."

Meanwhile!

Sunder nods slowly, taking that all in. "Perseverance," she says simply. "Trot with perseverance and integrity. Live friendship out to them every single day and let them see who we are through our deeds. Yes... That sounds like a tidy plan to me. A right tidy plan."

It's funny when Sunder falls back into her old speaking habits. Her voice sounds almost melodic now compared to how scratchy and abrasive it was before.

The nightmære laughs, tossing her mane. "Though I doubt many will come to be redeemed by us. The living are turned into undead, that's why siring them is forbidden among my little ponies. If someone wanted to join us I would have to cast them into the dungeons of the Shadow Wood and let the shadows feed on them first. That would not be a... pleasant... ordeal."

Getting drained to death is awful.

Also meanwhile!

"I work for my Mistress. In life, ages ago, I served as the Grand Vizier to the Sultan of a nation who's monuments have all crumbled into dust. Nothing remains of them now save for two trunkless legs and an inscribed pedestal. Around the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, only the lone and level sands stretch far away," Myrrh says with a listless sigh. "I was a wicked Grand Vizier, of course. And I brought ruin to my Sultan's land for my benefit. But now my heart has been changed and I still possess ample administrative knowledge, even if the laws have changed over the millennium. So I serve as the minister of my Mistress' holdings since she is..."

She glances over at Sunder, who is busy making silly faces with one of the werefox kits.

"...unfamiliar with such things."
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2014-10-11 at 11:27 AM.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Pixie in the Playground

[Full Moon Party]

The werefox chuckles

You really think getting infected is all that peachy? We aren't quite as strict on it as you are, but that's because there are a couple of situations where it is unavoidable. And considering what some folks'll do to become liches and such? Be ready for it, 's all I'm saying.

Then he smiles

So anyway, find your niche where you can be helpful. And I dunno that redeeming undead is great as a long-term strategy: your little guys here are going to need to start doing something of the more mundane sort.

Dark Dreams takes a break from answering the endless questions of the curious foxes

That is true, mistress: if we are only ever seen in the company of the undead, even if we are rescuing people, we will not earn their love. We must fit into the daily world of the common people

-- Myrrh Balm --

The kitsune nods

That is quite understandable: proper administration is really important. Caroline has done a much better job than Fenric, and that mostly because she trusts the advice of the more fiscally savvy folks here. We still don't have really have a proper accountant, though.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Full Moon Party]

Urias scratches at his neck, feeling a tad awkward. 'Um, don't mention it. I didn't really know what to do, so I just sort of... deferred judgement to someone who did.'

Even though Bella seems very happy about the whole ordeal, Urias was still uncomfortable.

'I'm glad to hear your daughter is okay,' he continues, his expression brightening noticeably. 'This temple is a good place for a child. The people here will make sure she's well cared for.'

13. - Top - End - #583

[Full Moon Party]

Sunder laughs at the lich comment. "Yes, I suppose they do, don't they? I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that, however," she admits, glancing over at little Wisteria who has taken to playing with her mother's tail while the shady arion is distracted. "We have children who remain alive while their parents have been numbered with my little ponies. The converse is simple enough to deal with. Just send the colts and fillies home with their living relatives. But when the child is still living..."

Sunder shakes her head. "Three times now, Wisteria has asked me to make her one of my little ponies, and three times I've refused her. There is apparently a cartoon concerning equestrians that she adores."

Imagine that.

"Am I wrong in this? Her mother desires it as well, if only to make her daughter a more difficult target for DART. As an unliving rather than an undead, she would still grow into adulthood. Our state doesn't freeze in stagnation like the undead do, we can still grow and change," Sunder says, giving a small huff. "What am I to do?"

Then Dark Dreams makes her comment! At that Sunder simply nods. "Mm. Many of my little ponies wish to continue the jobs and trades they held when they were still alive. Hopefully the living will come to see that we aren't so different from they. But for the rest? What can we do for the City that others can't?"

Meanwhile!

"No accountant? A shame," Myrrh Balms hums. "I knew many good accountants, but unfortunately they're all centuries dead. I'm going to need to begin building up my network again..."

14. - Top - End - #584
    Pixie in the Playground

[Full Moon Party]

-- Sunder --

The fox nods

It is a rough decision, I know... family's the only reason we allow it anymore, too. Mostly 'cause you can't really help it...
    For the other... Well, there are certainly some of us who could shadow somebody a lot more gently than just feeding them to the wilds.

Dark Dreams contemplates

We shall have to give it some thought, Mistress. Perhaps the Lady Tsukiko would have a suggestion, I have heard that there is a temple in the Shadows.

-- Myrrh Balm --

The kitsune nods

If you come up with a suggestion, let us know!

15. - Top - End - #585

[Full Moon Party]

Sunder considers all these things carefully. "Removing the suffering of temporarily becoming undead would make the process slightly less... objectionable. Especially if people are taking the step willingly with full understanding of what it is that they desire."

People get to make their own life choices after all, right?

"But this still isn't the sort of... service... that I would wish to advertise. It may be a mercy to Wisteria since it would allow her to remain more easily with her mother. The Gloom is no place for a living child, after all."

Seriously.

The Gloom is seriously not a good place for a living child.

Sunder wants to be able to use her nightmære spawn to expand her territory in the endless wastes of the Gloom, but she wouldn't dream of separating Bella from her child. Dart would surely be unable to reach them in the Gloom, but the realm of the restless dead would devour poor Wisteria as surely as it would devour any living.

Then the nightmære's ears perk up. "A temple? Lady Tsukiko has a temple? No one informed me of this."

No one tells Sunder nothin'!

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ogre in the Playground

Full Moon Party

Steven looks up at Katrina, tail flicking a bit as he gives her a goofy smile.
    "Hello, Kat. How've you been? Enjoying the party?" he asks, in a manner both nonchalant and sheepish.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Pixie in the Playground

[Full Moon Party]

Karl nods

Yeah, save it for people who come looking on their own

Dark Dreams chuckles

The Lady Tsukiko is a Messenger, just like myself. Her goddess is Tamamo, a subordinate of Inari, and it is her temple that is on the Shadow plane. Just as this place is filled with the various fox races, that is full of sentient shadow races.

-- Steven --

Katrina grins

Great as always, and the party's rockin. You're looking good... hold on... is that a ring!?!

She chuckles

You sly dog.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2014-10-11 at 02:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ogre in the Playground

Full Moon Party

Steven's grin grows very wide indeed.
    "I've been many things, Kat, but never a dog. You know that." he says.

19. - Top - End - #589

[Full moon Party]

Sunder wrinkles her nose a bit. "I really do need to pay better attention to these things..." she mutters.

This is very true!

She totally needs to pay better attention to these things.

But that's why she has messengers and advisers and other such spawn who do know about this kind of stuff that can keep her in the loop.

"Very well then, where is this temple, exactly? I would imagine reaching it from Midnight Park would be relatively simple?"

Since Midnight Park already exists in the shadows.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Pixie in the Playground

[Full Moon Party]

-- Sunder --

Dark Dreams nods

It is trivial indeed, Mistress: it is in the same approximate location in the Shadows as the material temple is - a short walk through shadow-inside.

-- Steven --

Katrina laughs

Got me there, Steven. So you two got engaged! Tell me all about it!
    Last edited by Fenric; 2014-10-11 at 05:07 PM.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

Full Moon Party

Steven shifts a bit on his feet, folding his hands behind his back.
    "Well, my family wanted out of their pact with our patron, but he couldn't just release us, so I asked Caroline if the Temple could take it instead. Noriko took it up, but apparently since I was a mouse because our god gave me extra attention being transferred sorta...defaulted me to a shadow fox. Or she did it on purpose; it was kinda hard to tell. But yeah, apparently that little extra favor basically translated to being a very, very junior Messenger, and since that meant that Caroline and I are basically going to be together for an awfully long time anyway, well, we decided that at that point the questions and the rings were a bit of a formality anyway..."

22. - Top - End - #592
    Pixie in the Playground

[Full Moon Party]

-- Steven --

Kartina listens patiently, holds a straight face for a moment, then laughs

Noriko got you, too! That's a hoot! Caroline's let her poach two people, now. No, wait - THREE.

she wipes a tear from her eye

In all seriousness: Congratulations! You're better off this way, really you are. Tamamo has only been a goddess for just over six hundred years - you're getting in on the ground floor! And they're a lot more fun! Noriko is awesome, and her sisters can really party. Just keep Caroline from going all dramatic like her grandmother, and you'll be great.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

Full Moon Party

Steven's ears flick. "Not really heard of what exactly all the drama was, just a few general things, but I get it. Hey, if I was Inari's then the whole 'no dating your coworkers' thing would come up and it'd just get awkward. Thanks, though, really. It's a lot to take in at once. I haven't even told my folks."

24. - Top - End - #594
    Pixie in the Playground

[Full Moon Party]

Katrina nods

Yep: it would have been a pain, and you'd have had to go to separate temples! Now, you're free to be yourselves and bless us with fifty-percent grey kits!

She doesn't quite make it all the way to the end without laughing. Better than the older "pink" joke...

Your folks just have to meet hers. And I don't mean Margaret, who probably can't even come here anymore. Just say "Holy Inari, Mother of Foxes: I seek an audience with Myobi"

She grins

Cause seriously...

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground

Full Moon Party

Steven blushes. "Oh, geez. I uh, don't think I should be summoning Caroline's parents without her around. And I really don't think I should be calling them to meet my folks before they even know I'm engaged...."

26. - Top - End - #596

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    [Full Moon Party]

Caroline chuckles softly, recognizing Magtok's amazement

It has been a while, but we're back now. Oh! I almost forgot... the people we got the tank from still have a base out in the mountains. It is small - only about two hundred people altogether - but I am also encouraging them to start getting their supplies from you.
    Magtok blinks, and first thinks to offer some sort of expression of thanks or gratitude, before his expression darkens and goes into a completely different direction altogether.

"Forgive me for being a tad blunt, but...is there a catch to all of this? A favor I'll be expected to do, or something dark and morally ambiguous I should conveniently overlook?"
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ogre in the Playground

Full Moon Party

Where there are parties, there are people. Where there are people, there are cars. Where there are cars, there are nice cars. Where there are nice cars, there is-

Oh for-

Will somebody please pull that bune out of the punch bowl? He's making a fool of himself!

"I shwear I dropped my keysssss in there!"

"I have the keys, moron!"

Jackalope is here, one of her pulling the other one of him by his collar to keep him out of the punch bowl. He is quite clearly plastered, and she is having none of it.
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Pixie in the Playground

[Full Moon Party]

-- Magtok --

Caroline tilts her head

Dark? I do not see how any of this would be dark, Mr. Magtok. I know of what this so-called "empire" wrote in public places. I heard that you worked with them to resolve it without violence, and I am grateful for that...

She considers a moment

Six weeks, Mr. Magtok. For six weeks we controlled this place. When GUFI failed, the emperor vanished, the council fled, and KNAVES hid in their floating castle - the Vupline Empire took over security of the Town. Even if it is not called that anymore, there is still a sense of responsibility. Perhaps I am trying to ensure supply lines that are not... compromised. Perhaps I am going to support someone who supports me.

And the vixen looks into the cyborg's eyes with no fear and considerable determination

I bow to no one but Inari, Mr. Magtok.

NO ONE.

She smiles

Rather like you. No, I do not imagine that you will ever join us - I rather doubt that would benefit anyone. This is a business arrangement, nothing more.

-- Steven --

Katrina chuckles

She'll come to you, not your parents. And if it makes you feel better, call Myobu - her father. Aren't you supposed to ask his blessing in your tradition?

-- Jackalope --

There are several very disapproving looking acolytes

Get out of the punch!
    What is going on here?
    Last edited by Fenric; 2014-10-12 at 10:45 AM.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

Full Moon Party

"This idiot's drunk off his butt, what does it look like?" Jackalope jerks her thumb to Jackalope, who is dancing rather erratically. His right half is trying to do Kung Fu Fighting, while his left half is doing some odd mix of dougie and lawnmower.
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ogre in the Playground

Full Moon Party

Steven's ears lower bashfully. "Well, it was kind of spur-of-the-moment, and it was weird because I was fairly sure that the guys didn't do that for Vulpans, and her biological parents were in another world anyway, and I don't know..." he trails off.
    He thinks for a moment. Maybe he should speak to her father. I mean, it's a bit improper that neither of them has really spoken to the other's family. And he's never heard anything bad about Myobu. Nothing good, either. Maybe he's just aloof?