New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1480
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Foxside: The Temple of Inari 51

Caroline's Apartment

Caroline laughs softly and shakes her head

You have it, too: my love. It is only if we come to matters of light and shadows that our abilities differ. My light spells are stronger than yours, and similarly your shadow spells are stronger than mine.

Then she tousles Stevens hair

And I think the road outside their farm will be close enough, and we will walk the rest of the way. It is a lovely day and that will leave you time to mention any last minute details you remember only when you see your old home.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Pixie in the Playground

[Vulpine Empire Outpost]

Marcus opts to ignore Fade as he proves to be the least abrasive MERC member the Wizard's run into so far. He'll continue up the road, dodging out of sight when necessary for patrol crafts until they make it up to the bridge checkpoint building. Eyeing the lone guard, Marcus will again thrust the staff toward the building. This time, however, he points at the TV once he's maneuvered to get in line of sight. The television screen—unless magically hindered—should suddenly flash a Symbol of Sleep that ought to cause the man to doze off in a heartbeat.

If it succeeds, the Signomancer will make his way to the bridge and leap off the edge right before getting to the structure. To most, this would seem crazy. Mid-air, Marcus calmly closes his eyes, quietly taps his staff and then one of the glyphs on his robes. Gravity quickly reverses for the mage and he'll land with a soft thud underneath the bridge before he starts to make his way across.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ogre in the Playground

Caroline's Apartment

"Well yeah, but only when I'm here."
    Myobu rather explicitly stated that he only has powers on the temple grounds.
    "But anyway, yeah, I better go clean up I suppose."
    he says, getting out of bed to start his normal routine.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Vulpine Empire Outpost]

((I don't understand your first sentence at all Solidarity.))

Fade follows up after Marcus for now. He doesn't want to overuse his ability right at the start of this mission. As Marcus decides to use his magic again, Fade just steps back into his shadow. He slides a bit away along the river so he avoids the light. The the shadow just slides on the river wall back to the bridge. There the shadow moves right underneath the bridge and will pass make his way across as wel, likly with Marcus.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Pixie in the Playground

Caroline's Apartment

Caroline blinks

Oh... you are using your Messenger powers...

Any of those that have mortal equivalents can be used at any time, but you do have to learn the spell first. You should start going to the priest spell-casting classes: you will catch up very quickly. It will help build up your tolerance, as well, so you will not get reaction sickness so badly.

she smiles encouragingly

You will find the early classes easy, and you should be ready to join Felina in the fifth-rank classes in hardly any time at all.

she sighs

Now that we have lost Richard, we are without a fifth-rank at all. Given the temple's growth, we ought to have two, not just one fourth-rank hopeful. And neither of our third-rank priests are ready to advance, either.

Then finally, a chuckle

But I must stop talking about work: we have today off!

(( I'll respond to Solidarity and Zefir next post ))
    Last edited by Fenric; 2014-11-12 at 12:06 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ogre in the Playground

((Zefir, he said: "Marcus decides to just ignore Fade because he's less of a jerk than other MERC members that Marcus has met."))

Caroline's (and also totally Steven's) Apartment

Steven smirks at her.
    "Aw, but I like being the only person here who gets to wear normal clothes. And you're trying to put me in robes?" he says as he grabs his things and heads out.
    He'll be back in a bit after a quick shower and tooth-brushing, only dripping a little.
    "You don't have to dress in anything too formal. My folks really aren't going to care." he says, digging in his drawers for a red flannel shirt he hasn't worn in ages and some pants. Being a fox means he's back to his old height, even if it forced him to use some tailoring to fix the pants for his tail.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Pixie in the Playground

Caroline and Steven's Apartment

(( there. ))

Caroline giggles

They are your priests: dress them as you wish. I think as long as you stay within the color scheme, I rather doubt everyone everywhere wears robes.

Caroline changes to a simple grey skirt and blue blouse.

Hm... maybe we would get more recruits if I let people dress more fashionably.

[Vulpine Empire Outpost]

Well... that wasn't much of an obstacle at all.

At the other side of the pass, an imposing wall cuts across the gap. A twin-barreled turret of some sort perches on top of a tower to either side of a gate that blocks the road. A flag waves from each tower, and is painted on the gate:

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Ogre in the Playground

Steven blinks.
    "I was referring to my parents. I don't think I have any right to be changing dress codes. I don't even have a real rank yet, and there are way more than just Noriko who have seniority on me."

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Pixie in the Playground

[Caroline and Steven's Apartment]

(( She was referring to the "you're trying to put me in robes?" comment ))

Caroline grins

Actually, Noriko is the only one with any standing who might argue, as she is officially responsible for this temple. Tsukiko is only here to teach Sunder and the ponies, and the other nine-tails are not assigned to this temple at all. I cannot imagine Tamamo caring in the slightest as long as it is a respectable outfit.

Then only a little more seriously

But you are correct in that you could not exactly order a change. But if you really wanted to change the official uniform for the shadow priesthood here, you could certainly manage: all you have to do is convince her step-daughter, Helen. If the two of you came to Noriko and argued for changing the robes out for something else, I would be surprised if she resisted.

a wink

Politics. And more work talk! Sorry, I am a little nervous...

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ogre in the Playground

Steven shakes his head.
    "Eh, I don't have a clue about that sort of thing. I wouldn't know what to ask to change it to.
    And don't be. If we were getting married under normal non-magic circumstances, they might have had to worry about them getting odd impressions, but as it is they'll probably be spending the whole visit trying to establish a mental connection that I'm actually me, and I doubt they'll really be giving their undivided attention to you."
    he says with a chuckle.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Pixie in the Playground

Caroline sighs and shakes her head

Thanks. So, speaking of Helen, let us go find her boyfriend - my nephew, Frederick - and get underway.

And she leads the way out of the apartment and makes a few enquiries, soon enough locating the young man muzzle-deep in an enormous book in the Priest's Library. Caroline knocks quietly, and he looks up

Oh! Hi, Aunt Carol. Hey there, Steven. What's up?

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Ogre in the Playground

Library

"Not much. Your aunt just has a quick request for you." says Steven quietly, letting Caroline take the lead on this one.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Pixie in the Playground

[Library]

Frederick grins - he has also lost the color in his fur, if Steven hadn't noticed before.

Sure. And congratulations, by the way!

So... what can I do for you, oh holy messenger in training?

Caroline shakes her head and replies to his impishness with cheekiness!

I am off duty today, or I would hand you over to your shadowy gods for punishment.

Frederick looks at Steven with a "hmmm", and she continues

We need you to make a portal for us out to Steven's family's farm. It is time for me to visit.

Frederick nods

Shouldn't be a big deal. Where do they live, Steven?

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ogre in the Playground

Library

If black is a combination of all the colors, didn't they really gain color in their coats?

Steven rolls his eyes a bit at the banter. Then provides surprisingly detailed directions to the place. Coordinates don't work that well in the Nexus, but it should be more than enough to get a very decent impression.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Pixie in the Playground

[Library]

Frederick listens intently, as messing up a portal can cause a lot of problems. Then he nods

Sounds simple enough. We'll use the closet over there - I need to practice with frames, not freestanding portals.

The young shadowfox concentrates a moment and mumbles under his breath, then traces the doorframe in a careful sequence with his right thumb, and everywhere he touches glows and sparkles with a slivery green light.

He nods, apparently satisfied with this stage, and clenches his right hand into a fist

I call upon the doorway!

The light intensifies, and the closet door vanishes behind a panel of bright light. He raises his right hand and opens it.

I call upon the space.

The panel gains a nearly dizzying feeling of depth and stretches into the distance. Frederick cautiously twists and adjusts his hand, focusing on something unseen to Caroline and Steven, before snapping it back into a fist

I call upon the portal!

And amidst the bright silver-green, a tiny speck of darker colors appears and rushes toward the group at frightening speed, growing larger and clearer: a pastoral scene of a farm road with trees gently waving in the breeze. It rushes up and stops just at the far side of the doorframe.

Steven should recognize it as being about a third of a mile down the road from his family's driveway.

Mind your step: it's pretty disorienting.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Ogre in the Playground

Library -> Linde Farm

Steven smiles and offers a hand to Caroline before heading in. "Thanks, Frederick." he says.

After stepping through, he needs a moment or two to make the world stop spinning, but after that he's back to smiling.
    "He got us really close. Should only be a few minutes of walking.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Pixie in the Playground

[Linde Farm]

Likewise Caroline steps through, then blinks and shakes her head to clear the dizziness - for all the good that ever does. It passes in a moment.

I have always considered it unfair that something inside us somehow seems to know where we are, and takes offense at being moved in that fashion.

Once she regains her composure, she looks around

Good. And it is a very pleasant looking area: very nice for a walk.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ogre in the Playground

Linde Farm

Being so close to the driveway, the whole place is likely already visible. There is a large farmhouse and a barn, along with a smaller house and a few assorted structures likely made for specific things, such as sheds and the like. They're all clustered in the center. Around the buildings are the large fields of crops, mostly corn, although there does seem to be a pasture for some animals out by the barn. Right now there only appears to be a few cows about. It is definitely a large piece of land for the amount of people probably living there.

"So, just for the record, you've got my folks, my three brothers, my three living grandparents, my dad's sister and her husband, and the two workers that Dad hired when the place ended up being too big for just the family." says Steven, walking with his hands in his pockets.

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    [Sanctuary]

"More than sufficient." How curious, what they're doing.
    Skye gratefully accepts the foods, eating the meat-containing sandwich first.
    "Do I -mmm- owe you anything fer all this?"
    She is clearly excepting something horrible.

But she turns to Susan and nods, mumbling through being-someone-eating-a-carrot.
    "Were-creature. Best I can do, sadly. Full moon, poof, snake. Or any time you want an' it's not the new moon. 's fer your own good."
    Susan's eyes widen and she says, near shouting, "How is turning me into a weresnake for my own good?!"

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Skye rolls her eyes.
    "You gonna freak out about every thing I tell you?"
    Drinks the entire glass of juice at once, nods to Noriko.
    "Yeah I think I have that much. Gotta run home and get it. Or, limp home, more like. "

"Yeah, well, obviously being an aware sapient being is bad, and this provides you a free correct perspective. Plus you know, limbs. Holding you back. All that. You're like, a really great snake, you don't even know."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Noriko arches an eyebrow, but since nobody asked her opinion about ophitropy (or therianthropy in general), she doesn't give it. Instead she nods

Take your time, Skye: there's no rush. I... um... could heal you a bit, if you like... no charge.

[Linde Farm]

Caroline smiles

Oh, good! It will be more like home, then. These strange little families and completely unrelated people around here have been somewhat unsettling! Back home there were always the four of us and Mom and Dad, plus my aunt and her husband and their six kids, and my grandparents, and at least twenty second degree cousins who all stayed at the temple. And if I went out into town, there was a decent chance any random Vulpan on the street was at least vaguely related to me.

No, she's not babbling nervously...

You know, I have never actually seen corn growing, before? It did not grow so far north, and we did not have room in the enchanted garden for it.

She sniffs the air, taking in all of the scents

So many things. And some of our wild cousins have come to gawk at us: do you smell them?

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Ogre in the Playground

Linde Farm

Steven sniffs the air for a moment.
    "I think so. They ought to know better than to get much closer than this normally, though. I did ask Dad to chain Bela up for our visit. She's a sweet beagle but well, hunting dogs can't really help but react in certain ways to certain things. She'll probably be in the barn, so she'll still have plenty of room to walk around."

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Titan in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Susan glares and says, "What? No. No. Sapience is good. Sapience is what lets people not be horrible. Which makes sense that you don't get that."

24. - Top - End - #1044

[Sanctuary]

"Oh, that'd be great. Thanks, uh...fox priest lady. You had something to say about were-things?"
    Skye looks up to her, smiling, curious, setting aside the empty glass and plate.

"You're so naive, Susan."
    Reach out to pat the silly snake on the shoulder.
    "Obviously it is the source of all evil as well, though there is much good without it."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Pixie in the Playground

[Linde Farm]

Caroline laughs lightly

I can imagine!

I have never actually had trouble with a dog, myself. I think they assume I'm a human wearing a fox-skin for some unaccountable reason. But humans do so many silly things from the point of view of a dog that they ttake it in their stride.

[Sanctuary]

Noriko looks at Skye with the "how did you know that?" look.

Well... it's just that a number of our worshippers are vulpinthropes - "werefoxes", if you will, and they are reasonable enough.

She seems to have come around, lately, considering she called them monsters not all that long ago.

I met their messenger, and she's not half bad. They argue that they get the best of both worlds, and we're the ones to be pitied. Turns out their priests even refuse to "cure" people... not so sure about that one, personally - I'd never say people shouldn't be cured of being drained into shadows - but still: there are distinct advantages, and you maybe shouldn't be so quick to call it bad just because it's unfamiliar?

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ogre in the Playground

Linde Farm

Steven shrugs.
    "Sometimes she reacts to the smell, so it's just to be safe.
    Now, anything you want to know before we head in?"
    he asks.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Pixie in the Playground

[Linde Farm]

Caroline hmms

Who should I most watch out for, who is most likely to be an ally, who has the best stories about you, who would never tell the good stories, is there anyone who really hates hugs, anyone who really loves them, anyone who burns up with rage at being teased, and anyone who thinks less of you if you cannot take or dish out a good ribbing?

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Susan shakes her head and says, "No, not like that. Technology...All of it...It's what lets people not be horrible to each other, trying to survive...And you say that living without is a good thing!?"

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Ogre in the Playground

Linde Farm

Steven blinks.
    "Jesse is kinda like Katrina, but he won't flirt with someone taken. I guess my grandparents might be bothered, but I doubt it, and they're too respectful. My mom should be fine even in comparison. I think hugs' status depends on their opinion of the person. Be respectful to my grandparents, although you need not try too hard at it since they'll likely acknowledge your status enough to not worry about it. And if they do, remind them that you're five times their age." he says.

30. - Top - End - #1050

[Sanctuary]

Noriko might briefly see a flare of cryofire behind Skye, in the shape of a bird, somehow smirking at her.
    "People trying to survive can't compare to the cruelty of people who are sure that they'll survive. Technology, it, it has its places. That's why we have a human form."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine