New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: What is the "best" alignment?

Satcharna, I think you might not be kidding. That worries me...

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Obviously the best alignment is neutral hungry. Though chaotic angry is a close runner-up, as is sarcastic good.
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Moon View Post
    How many times, when the Fighter says "I draw my sword", did you just want to smack that cheating-optimizer in the face and say "No! You don't draw your sword! You draw Orcus!". When the Cleric says "I run away from Orcus!": "No! You run into Orcus! Rogue tries to hide? He hides behind Orcus! The bard in a tavern on the other side the town tries to order a drink? How about a nice frothy mug of Orcus?
    The clone Rudisplorker, doppelganger of Threadnaught.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Batman Alignment. All of the benefits and none of the drawbacks of every alignment simultaneously.

Best of all, cause all of the alignment arguments ever.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-09-07 at 12:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The one that best fits your true personality or the one you would like to be.
    The sword of destiny has two blades,one of them is your death....

DnD Npc 3.5 Generator for Android

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Neutral good is probably the easiest to play, but lawful evil is by far the most fun.
    Your face is unoptimized.

Currently playing:
    5e Forgotten Realms: Tamrosekincaiwellyn, wild elf barbarian/cleric of Umberlee
    5e Algasia: Harulf the lost, half-orc rogue
    Pathfinder: "Thatch", the spark of revolution, cleric of Millani
    Currently running:
    Pathfinder (Occult Adventures): Civil War among the Living Dead

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

It depends on how you play. Some people say TN is for chumps but at the same time you can justify saving the farmer's daughter and then extorting him if you really wanted to. Or helping a slaver get back his best hoe and then stabbing him in the face cause he has more stuff than you.

I have been NE or TN lately because no one wants to take the reigns on the idea that a plan can be accomplished through less than reputable means so I get to stroll through the red tape.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The alignment that conquers your enemies, sees them driven before you and let's you hear the lamentation of their women.

Sorry had to. In all seriousness for me it's chaotic good. I always liked the good hearted rebel, granted I've played the full gamut alignments in different games but I always come back to Chaotic Good.
    A changling, a mage, a demon and a werewolf dressed like ninjas riding velociraptors, either that's awesome or we may have jumped the shark.

3DS friend code: 0232 9724 5460
    Mii name: Jack
    pokemon y name: Jack

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

The best alignment is the one where my car stops pulling to the left.

The best alignment is "Center".

The best alignment is Chaotic Purple.

The best alignment is with the Horde.

The best alignment is a dish served cold.

The best alignment is AMERICA.
    Attacking the darkness since 2009.

Spoiler: Quotes I like
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal regarding What would a Cat Lord want? View Post
    She wants the renegade Red Dot brought to her court in chains.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz regarding randomly rolling edgelord backstories View Post
    Huh...Apparently I'm Agony Blood Blood, Half-orc Shadow Sorcerer. I killed a Dragons. I'm Chaotic Good, probably racist.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bud the CHUD View Post
    It depends on how you play. Some people say TN is for chumps but at the same time you can justify saving the farmer's daughter and then extorting him if you really wanted to. Or helping a slaver get back his best hoe and then stabbing him in the face cause he has more stuff than you.

I have been NE or TN lately because no one wants to take the reigns on the idea that a plan can be accomplished through less than reputable means so I get to stroll through the red tape.
    That sounds like somewhere in the NE or CE part of the pool, pal. CN at best. True Neutral is preferring good but not sticking to it out of principle, not doing good and evil deeds in equal measure.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

I had a friend who wrote Chaotic Bad on his character sheet.

I guess it's not quite Evil, but limits its unsavory activities to poor tipping and parking cars in a manner that takes up more than one space.

3DS Name: Rezzy, FC: 0104-0343-1530

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

Fire Emblem Fates Castle Address
    05107-66614
    62592-54117

11. - Top - End - #41
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz View Post
    The best alignment is AMERICA.
    I finally understood what Colbert was trying to tell us with his words to us so long ago... "I Am America (And So Can You!)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini476 View Post
    I.

Although Lawful Good also gets you four free wishes, which is two more than any Evil alignment gets. Hmmm.
    Actually, BOVD has rules for sacrifices. With a good enough k: religion check or some factor-stacking you can get as many wishes as you want.sure, you can only directly get a wish once, but you can repeat Lesser Wish, or Greater Planar Ally demons that can use Wish. And you can bootstrap he proceeds by using some lesser rewards to boost your check for the big ones.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I finally understood what Colbert was trying to tell us with his words to us so long ago... "I Am America (And So Can You!)"
    Attacking the darkness since 2009.

Spoiler: Quotes I like
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal regarding What would a Cat Lord want? View Post
    She wants the renegade Red Dot brought to her court in chains.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz regarding randomly rolling edgelord backstories View Post
    Huh...Apparently I'm Agony Blood Blood, Half-orc Shadow Sorcerer. I killed a Dragons. I'm Chaotic Good, probably racist.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

wink Re: What is the "best" alignment?

Anyone remember back in 1E (and maybe even into 2E) when monsters (and presumably, players) sometimes had alignments like Lawful Neutral (with Evil tendencies)? Oh, such fun times!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

I'd have to say Lawful Good. Be an optimist prime, not a negatron.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahoy, fair adventurer, it be the line to get into the Salty Tavern of Optimized Character Builds. The roughest, toughest tavern ever to be built in an hour from a single plank of wood.

Only the most broken min/maxed wizards can get in. You need to have contingencies [flexes beard]. You need to have contingencies for your contingencies [flexes even more, creates even more beards]. You need to have contingencies on your eyeballs! [flexes his eyes, creating beards]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

The "ideal" alignment, in my mind, is True Neutral tending toward both Good and Law, with a color component of primary-White, secondary-Red.

On the other hand, I consider myself True Neutral with a color component of primary-Blue, secondary-Red.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheMonocleRogue View Post
    I'd have to say Lawful Good. Be an optimist prime, not a megatron.
    Sorry...that would have bugged me forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    My vote would have to go to Chaotic Neutral.

Not the bat-s**t crazy Deadpool Chaotic Neutral that does things "FOR THE LULZ", of course. I hate that archetype.

No, that Chaotic Neutral I mean is calm, collected and careful. If Good and Evil are two sides of the same coin, then Chaotic Neutral walks up and takes that coin for themselves. They are the architects of their own destiny, living life on their terms, not the terms of a code, morals or a god.

Chaotic Neutral is the personification of Cause and Effect, they think long and hard about how the effects of their actions. Good and Evil don't, they see life as "It's the right thing/what I want to do and damn the consequences", which can get you killed very quickly. Chaotic Neutral does something because it's the most effective way to their goals.

They'll lie, kill and steal, sure, but they're just as likely to be truthful, merciful and altruistic. It really depends on what's the best way to their goals. "Best" not "Quickest" being the important part. Killing people who have what you want is quick, yes, but leaving a bloody trail of corpses is going to cause more rats and Weepers to get you into more trouble than you can handle. But if you can get what you want without trouble to yourself, then Chaotic Neutral will do that. Regardless of what "that" is.

Chaotic Neutral isn't out to make the world a better place nor is it out to commit atrocities. It isn't out to make the world conform, hell, it isn't even out to destroy the system and plunge the world into anarchy. Chaotic Neutral is out its mark on the world by any means.
    Wow...
    This is far greater then I would have been able to come up with, though it aligns with my views on CN as well.

...not that "BSC Deadpool" isn't fun sometimes!

Though I tend to see CN as something like this as well...

But yeah...Chaotic Neutral, with occasional swings up to Chaotic Good.
    Remember, posting links to TVTropes is Vile.
    Spoiler: Fun Quotes (Spoiled for Length)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    You are vile and I will link this post randomly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haley
    Imagining getting it on atop a mountain of coins still technically counts as thinking about you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Humans are weird.

I'm Bad, and that's good. I will never be Good, and that's not bad. There is no one I'd rather be then me. ~Bad Guy Affirmation
    Unofficial (Self-titled) Spokes person for the Unofficial TOB Errata
    Now a Vestige!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground

The more freedom - the better. Nothing is as free as CE.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateWench

Being evil has negative consequences. There is a *base* class designed with the ability to detect evil, in the hopes of destroying evil. If you're evil, the forces of good want to wipe you out. Whereas, the forces of evil are generally pretty chill towards "good" people (as long as those good people aren't attacking those forces of evil); good people are just easy suckers to exploit to evil people, whereas other evil people are actually competition. So, in short, nobody likes evil, but everybody likes or tolerates good (or neutral). So, non-evil wins on the good/evil axis.

One base class requires you to be any lawful alignment. Another requires you to be lawful as well as good. Two base classes require that you be non-lawful. So, that's pretty much the same, except non-lawful people have slightly more freedom among their class choices (since they don't *have* to be good). So, non-lawful wins on the law/chaos axis.

So the best alignments are CG, NG, CN, and TN. But of those, CG is the least beneficial, since there is a base class that it can't join that the other three can. So, that limits us to NG, CN, and TN.

And (as others have mentioned), when dealing the "protection from" line of spells, nothing affects TN. So, that's clearly the best alignment.

But what about the Word spells? Eh, that's just rock paper scissors anyway. You will always be vulnerable to at least one of those spells (unless you gain immunity to all of them), so it doesn't matter; your enemy will always have the one that hurts you.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

LN

"I don't care what you do, as long as you went through the proper channels to do it."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Anyone remember back in 1E (and maybe even into 2E) when monsters (and presumably, players) sometimes had alignments like Lawful Neutral (with Evil tendencies)? Oh, such fun times!
    They darn near do that for Tieflings in 5e; described as not-evil but "many of them wind up there" and having "chaotic tendencies", the best I can figure is either CE with CN tendencies, CN with CE tendencies, NE with TN tendencies, or maybe TN with CE tendencies ....
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I do like the third element in the descriptor, because it can indicate that, if there is a minor habit of deviation in an individual, where their tertiary inclinations lie. Like a LG monk who occasionally binges on alcohol, drugs, and whatever, but not because they are evil, but as a form of release from their otherwise strict mentality. That would be LG (chaotic tendencies), making it clear that the monk may gradually shift toward NG (problematic for a monk), but doesn't need to if they are conscientious about the ramifications of their need to unwind.

I see the nine alignment types as being a very, very, very shorthand for all of the myriad psychological and behavioral patterns of an individual, along with their accumulated past actions. So what the sheet says next to alignment is just the shallow end of the pool, and things get much more interesting the deeper one ventures.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

23. - Top - End - #53
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Neutral good is easiest on the GM...
    Player: I'm going to make a new character, I suck at bard.
    Me: Your only saying that because you died.
    Player: So?
    Me: Everyone dies when they do stupid stuff between two rogues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Your companion? The goblin you are using as ammunition.
    Surprise! You've got no legs!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    Neutral Good
    Nominated. You can do almost anything you need to do to achieve the most optimal outcome. However, you can act as you feel if you don't want necessarily the greater good. You know that as long as you've done good and you tried your hardest that you've done good all the same.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

True Neutral, if you are aiming for "Basically good, but not going out of his way." Neutral Good for the previous guy's nicer friend who pets the puppies and does to out of his way to help people.

Lawful Evil though is a fun one. As other people said, do what is needed when it is needed to meet your ends. Do you need to work with good people to work your way into the good graces of a noble or two? Very well, if that's what it takes. Do you need a rivaling town taken down a peg? Can do. Prisoner refusing to talk? Come on, torture is practically cliche for your alignment.

Lawful Evil has all the advantages of being Evil (not having to give a damn about other people), but has the self control to be restrained if it must be. Chaotic Evil gets resentful of order (and thus has no long term plan), and Neutral Evil isn't committed. Lawful Evil can play with the other alignments for a time as long as they can still work towards their greater goals (though a lot of bluffing and hiding their alignment may be needed).
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

d20 Re: What is the "best" alignment?

In terms of play... I'll play almost any alignment other than CE and NN. But... in terms of who I'd want my friend to be, LG. No question. I would want an honorable, honest, good person as my friend and/or adventuring companion.
    -Curb