New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - Cry Some More!

Since the game releases in about four hours on Steam, figured I'd make a thread. Anybody else excited for Edmund McMillen's latest offering? Any stories of the original you want to share before it's rendered fully and completely obsolete?
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - Cry Some More!

Well i 100% cleared the original Binding of Isaac. So i'll probably 100% Rebirth as well. I just need to decide if i want to record it or not.I've had a youtube channel for awhile, but i haven't recorded anything on it since the beginning of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I never did 100% the original game. For some reason, I have all the other achievements, but that doesn't seem to be enough? Oh well.

Quite looking forward to Rebirth. I wonder if ??? still is somehow one of the better characters.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Game's real good. Some janky sliding and stopping with the controls but that's probably a bug and will probably be fixed.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Just finished my first run. Gotta say, the music is wonderful(wonderfully ominous). The change in art style, although something i expected was still a little jarring at first, but i got used to it.

I'm a little disappointed that they didn't change up some of the patterns from bosses in the first game. Most, if not all of them have the same AI patterns which means exploits that existed before still work against them(such as getting Monstro II stuck just lasering by moving back horizontal with him right when he's done firing it).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    I'm a little disappointed that they didn't change up some of the patterns from bosses in the first game. Most, if not all of them have the same AI patterns which means exploits that existed before still work against them(such as getting Monstro II stuck just lasering by moving back horizontal with him right when he's done firing it).
    Wait until you get to Mom's Heart. Some have changed.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I had some ridiculously good first runs. First attempt I wound up with Guppy, Polyphemus, and Daddy Long Legs. Mom went down in like 5 seconds flat.

It looks like they've nerfed Cain, which is a shame. I loved how he always had good pills, but that part of him is gone.

Items seem more useful in general...not as much crap as I remember from before. Then again, it could just be because I haven't unlocked as much stuff.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    It looks like they've nerfed Cain, which is a shame. I loved how he always had good pills, but that part of him is gone.
    He really needed a nerf though. I remember a game I had with Cain where I found both a Portable Slot Machine and an I.V. Bag. The game basically ended right there; at that point you have infinite money and an infinite amount of pills, which were guaranteed to be good. When I finally continued after abusing that for a while, all my stats were maxed, I must have had dozens of soul hearts (couldn't tell, though, because the regular hearts took up the whole bar), and nothing could ever touch me anymore. Even just finding an Arcade with him at a point where you had a little bit of money instantly trivialized everything, in my experience.

Still need to pick up Rebirth. Reading this thread, I am glad it appears to be good, though (not that I had much doubt it would).
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    He really needed a nerf though. I remember a game I had with Cain where I found both a Portable Slot Machine and an I.V. Bag. The game basically ended right there; at that point you have infinite money and an infinite amount of pills, which were guaranteed to be good. When I finally continued after abusing that for a while, all my stats were maxed, I must have had dozens of soul hearts (couldn't tell, though, because the regular hearts took up the whole bar), and nothing could ever touch me anymore. Even just finding an Arcade with him at a point where you had a little bit of money instantly trivialized everything, in my experience.
    You'll notice I didn't say it was unjustified.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Items seem more useful in general...not as much crap as I remember from before. Then again, it could just be because I haven't unlocked as much stuff.
    I was surprised to see that Lemon Mishap is actually kind of good now. Like, if it's the thing in the treasure room on the first level, I might not immediately ragequit.

However, My Reflection is still worse than useless. The more things change...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

As an aside, what happened to Mewgenics?

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    As an aside, what happened to Mewgenics?
    Apparently working on the game was killing Ed, so he's stopped working on it until he releases Super Meat Boy Forever, which isn't supposed to be that far off at least.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    Apparently working on the game was killing Ed, so he's stopped working on it until he releases Super Meat Boy Forever, which isn't supposed to be that far off at least.
    That's a shame. Remakes are cool and all, but I was really looking forward to Mewgenics.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    That's a shame. Remakes are cool and all, but I was really looking forward to Mewgenics.
    For some reason I'm remembering 2016 as a vague planned release date. It's quite a bit later than I'd have hoped, but at least he hasn't abandoned it entirely!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

Boss Isaac changed a lot. Now he actually flies around like crazy and fires tons of bullets and covers the screen with Crack the Sky... And I accidentally got to Cathedral after first Heart kill (through an angel room)... It was intense, to say the least.

Some challenges are ridiculously easy. One gives you Technology 1&2 and Spoon bender. Another, Polyphemus and Cupid's arrow...
    Last edited by Great equalizer; 2014-11-07 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Bluh, mixed up Cathedral and the Chest.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I'd get it, but it's too expensive right now and I'm a bit hard up on money. Still, I'm looking forward to it, as the original is a very efficient, relaxing time-waster. I have to agree Cain is too good, though. Eventually I just didn't feel comfortable playing anyone else - the increased luck is just too useful.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Great equalizer View Post

Some challenges are ridiculously easy. One gives you Technology 1&2 and Spoon bender. Another, Polyphemus and Cupid's arrow...
    That Head Trauma one though...

Another neat change is that Bloody Lust (Samson's signature item) has been changed to work on a floor-by-floor basis instead of room-by-room. It makes him actually playable now instead of just awful like before.

I also unlocked some sort of Boss Rush after Mom...not sure how I did it, but I think it was from being fast? Really cool, either way.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Unlocked Azazel on my second run. Decided to try Azazel. Thought "well, flight is nice but the rest of the character is pretty crap". Beat Mom on the same run. The world sure loves irony.

Also, I freakin' love the music in this game. BoI already had pretty good music, but here it's just awesome. Also I feel like I'm more in control of my character, though the lack of mouse shooting sucks. I like shooting with my mouse.

EDIT: Tried another Azazel game, picked up a new item that turned my weapon into a remotely controlled ring of absolute murder. I presume this is a combo with Brimstone and not just this item's ordinary ability, but either way, that was amazingly broken and made the rest of the game a cakewalk. I sure love me those broken combos in Isaac!

In comparison, the nerf Cain got makes me sad. I know he needed that, but still.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2014-11-07 at 02:15 PM.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I also unlocked some sort of Boss Rush after Mom...not sure how I did it, but I think it was from being fast? Really cool, either way.
    you get access to it for beating Mom in under 20 minutes. It doesn't seem really worth the effort though unless you have a really powerful build.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    EDIT: Tried another Azazel game, picked up a new item that turned my weapon into a remotely controlled ring of absolute murder. I presume this is a combo with Brimstone and not just this item's ordinary ability, but either way, that was amazingly broken and made the rest of the game a cakewalk. I sure love me those broken combos in Isaac!
    Ludo is pretty awesome if you've got awesome things to stack on it. Otherwise it's not very good. It just lets you move a single large tear around.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    you get access to it for beating Mom in under 20 minutes. It doesn't seem really worth the effort though unless you have a really powerful build.
    Well, you unlock an item for each character you beat it with. Plus you get two items for completing it - a choice of one out of several to start if off, and then a second item when it completes. It's been worth it each time I've done it. The room itself is big enough that you can avoid fighting two bosses at once most of the time, and with all the room to run around in even ordinarily difficult bosses can become a cakewalk. Gurdy isn't a huge threat when you're shooting him from offscreen, after all. The only bosses in there that I've had real issues with are Death and his damn scythes, and a couple of the bosses that fire blood streams will shoot you from offscreen themselves.

It's probably not worth it if you're doing a heavy Soul Heart run, but other than that the hearts you get from the bosses themselves do a great job of keeping you healed.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Ludo is pretty awesome if you've got awesome things to stack on it. Otherwise it's not very good. It just lets you move a single large tear around.
    I beat a Cain run with it, but yeah, without Brimstone (and potentially other upgrades - I wonder how it stacks with Technology) it's really annoying to use.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    I beat a Cain run with it, but yeah, without Brimstone (and potentially other upgrades - I wonder how it stacks with Technology) it's really annoying to use.
    Mom's Knife with it is pretty awesome, haven't seen it with Technology however. I imagine it's just like a weaker Brimestone. Wait until you get Little Planet. Another "If you're awesome, it makes you better." type items.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well, you unlock an item for each character you beat it with. Plus you get two items for completing it - a choice of one out of several to start if off, and then a second item when it completes. It's been worth it each time I've done it. The room itself is big enough that you can avoid fighting two bosses at once most of the time, and with all the room to run around in even ordinarily difficult bosses can become a cakewalk. Gurdy isn't a huge threat when you're shooting him from offscreen, after all. The only bosses in there that I've had real issues with are Death and his damn scythes, and a couple of the bosses that fire blood streams will shoot you from offscreen themselves.

It's probably not worth it if you're doing a heavy Soul Heart run, but other than that the hearts you get from the bosses themselves do a great job of keeping you healed.
    The biggest issue i had with it was not killing The Carrion Queen first when she appeared which left the red poop all over the room that i kept running into when dodging other enemies.

from a time management/difficulty perspective, except for unlocking an item when you manage it, it's still not really worth it. You fight 30 bosses for two items. Worse: If it's a champion mom, you fight 30 champion bosses for two items. On a normal run you fight one boss for at least two items(item room and boss room). If you have There's Options you get a choice of two items in the boss room and item room.

It seems to me more of a sort of "Okay, you beat Mom in under 20 minutes. That means you probably have a fairly powerful build. Test it here. We're going to throw everything but the kitchen sink at you."

Edit:

Just got an amusing combination: Technology 2, Ludovico Technique, and Orbital Tears

Spoiler
    Show

Yes that black ring around me is my tears, yes i can move it around, and yes it does lots of damage.I don't know if there's actually any synergy there between Ludovico and Orbitals. It might just be Tech 2 and Ludovico that makes that effect, but orbital lasers are fun too.
    Last edited by Leecros; 2014-11-08 at 11:51 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Soy Milk plus libra is just ridiculous. Tears remain high, while you get insane speed, damage, and (near) infinite range
    There are 5.88235294117647058823529 living popes/square mile in Vatican City.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by The Dolman View Post
    Soy Milk plus libra is just ridiculous. Tears remain high, while you get insane speed, damage, and (near) infinite range
    I thought Libra just gives you coins, keys and bombs. Does it also change your stats?

27. - Top - End - #27

I thought Libra just gives you coins, keys and bombs. Does it also change your stats?
    Yes, it does. It usually isn't too noticeable, but soy milk makes your tears stat go through the roof.
    There are 5.88235294117647058823529 living popes/square mile in Vatican City.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

In you haven't been checking the BoI Subreddit, Poop can be used to create bridges! (So can Mushrooms, but, eh. Who cares?)

Blue Baby suddenly got a hell of a lot more useful.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Yes, it does. It usually isn't too noticeable, but soy milk makes your tears stat go through the roof.
    I can attest to this - I just got that combination in my last run. Soy milk + Mutant Spider + Coal + Libra. Once I had that going I think I killed every boss in under 10 seconds. I so wish I had the Cathedral/Chest unlocked, but sadly I didn't so I had to content myself with the Devil instead.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

It also destroys your damage stat