New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Fallout Fluff Forum - Plasma Guns, Power Armors, Mutants and Tribals, no it's not

We know something survived in Canada as I recall people in the capital wasteland referring to a place called 'Ronto which I think was Toronto. So thinking there is something more out there is absolutely a possibility. Plus you could just replace all the baseballs you find in loot with hockey pucks.

Personally I like the concept of seeing the world rebuild in the centuries after the fall. Watching the "new" try to grow around the withered husks of the old world so a giant reset would just be annoying to me.
    I'm not bad, I just aim that way ~my own comment on my Call of Duty abilities.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Fallout Fluff Forum - Plasma Guns, Power Armors, Mutants and Tribals, no it's not

I guess some Canadians still feel resentment, some might also feel gratitude, however. While the occupation of Canada was pretty brutal by all accounts, propaganda could easily spin it as the neccessary move to defeat the Chinese invaders. Canade is much closer to the Alaskan frontline, and may even have seen actual war.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    I guess some Canadians still feel resentment, some might also feel gratitude, however. While the occupation of Canada was pretty brutal by all accounts, propaganda could easily spin it as the neccessary move to defeat the Chinese invaders. Canade is much closer to the Alaskan frontline, and may even have seen actual war.
    I still remember the propaganda video from Fallout 1 where a Power-armored U.S trooper execute captured Canadian POWs.
    Last edited by Driderman; 2014-10-04 at 02:06 PM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yeah, I think the whole "US brutally annexes Canada" thing would probably colour the opinions of any survivors north of the border.

However, where does "we were so arrogant we nearly destroyed ourselves" come from in respect to the US? The whole point of the fluff is that nobody knows who launched the first nukes, so it would be entirely possible for survivors in the US to consider themselves fortunate victims of a foreign aggressor.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Yeah, I think the whole "US brutally annexes Canada" thing would probably colour the opinions of any survivors north of the border.

However, where does "we were so arrogant we nearly destroyed ourselves" come from in respect to the US? The whole point of the fluff is that nobody knows who launched the first nukes, so it would be entirely possible for survivors in the US to consider themselves fortunate victims of a foreign aggressor.
    That's more of a culural thing. It was the USA who first took to nuclear power and they took to it more fully as a concept than anyone else by the 50's. Fallout is an extension of this as nuclear powered everything took hold. In a sense it doesn't matter who actually fired the first shot, because it was one group who escalated the tensions far more than anyone else ever did in real life.

But yeah, it'd be interesting to see how continental neighbors feel in general, north in canada, south in mexico, and east in the west indies and Greenland.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    I still remember the propaganda video from Fallout 1 where a Power-armored U.S trooper execute captured Canadian POWs.
    Keeping the peace!
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    In a sense it doesn't matter who actually fired the first shot, because it was one group who escalated the tensions far more than anyone else ever did in real life.
    One group? Like, the Chinese who attacked Alaska for oil? The European Commonwealth that tore itself apart in the aftermath of brutal wars over the last of Middle Eastern oil? The US might have become a puppet of the Enclave during the Resource Wars, but there was hardly a single aggressor in the conflict.

Technically, after the US walked out of oil talks in the 2070s, Canada and Mexico would've fared better than the rest of the world in terms of access to petroleum, since they were annexed.

8. - Top - End - #248

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    One group? Like, the Chinese who attacked Alaska for oil? The European Commonwealth that tore itself apart in the aftermath of brutal wars over the last of Middle Eastern oil? The US might have become a puppet of the Enclave during the Resource Wars, but there was hardly a single aggressor in the conflict.

Technically, after the US walked out of oil talks in the 2070s, Canada and Mexico would've fared better than the rest of the world in terms of access to petroleum, since they were annexed.
    I meant culturally, not physically. Remember, Fallout is built on the American fascination with nuclear power in a large part.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    I am wondering what the descendant of the Canadian peoples think of the whole apocalypse.
    I mean... Big flavor of having it in the US was "we were so arrogant, we nearly destroyed ourselves". Whereas from Canadian's perspective, it is " You were so arrogant, you nearly destroyed us ALL"
    An interesting thing with the Fallout universe as I'm watching it (I've only been playing #3 for a few days now), is that not that many people know the events as they really happened. The few in the know might even be lying just to make their side look good. When I turned on the Enclave Radio station for the first time I listened to the president's speech about how things will rebuild and I was like "Uh... you sure things aren't that bad? I'm currently pinned down by raiders that want to eat my skull. I think things are pretty bad, buddy."

It be interesting to see what kind of factions sprung up in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Derthric View Post
    Plus you could just replace all the baseballs you find in loot with hockey pucks.
    I could see schematics of a hockey puck launcher in such a game. Those things hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    Um... yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    A lot of folks i'm seeing in FO3 don't seem to care about the past so much as just surviving in the present. Though the cult around the Church of Atom was amusing in Megaton.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

10. - Top - End - #250

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I could see schematics of a hockey puck launcher in such a game. Those things hurt!
    Frag Puck
    Pulse Puck
    Plasma Puck

11. - Top - End - #251

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Um... yikes.
    It's the first thing you ever see in Fallout. It's from the intro.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    It's the first thing you ever see in Fallout. It's from the intro.
    Interesting. That part was cut from the german version.
    Last edited by Iruka; 2014-10-07 at 03:17 AM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

13. - Top - End - #253
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Interesting. That part was cut from the german version.
    You can probably find the original on Youtube if you want to check it out.

14. - Top - End - #254

Currently rewatching the Spoiler Warnings play through of FO3

The more i see it, the more i believe our new interpretation of the Capital BoS not as do-gooders but instead as opportunistic politicians interested in creating a new power base is simply more applicable, especially regarding one of the most important plot hole:

"Oh noes! The Enclave will turn on the Purifier and give fresh water to the entire region!! We have to stop them!"

Why? Because the BoS want to be the.ones who provide water. They basically are pulling the same trick as the NCR in the Freeside.

Edit: fun fact. BoS backward is SoB
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2014-10-07 at 09:38 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255

Kobold

To be fair, the Enclave want to fill the purifier with poison, don't they?
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2014-10-07 at 09:48 AM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Currently rewatching the Spoiler Warnings play through of FO3

The more i see it, the more i believe our new interpretation of the Capital BoS not as do-gooders but instead as opportunistic politicians interested in creating a new power base is simply more applicable, especially regarding one of the most important plot hole:

"Oh noes! The Enclave will turn on the Purifier and give fresh water to the entire region!! We have to stop them!"

Why? Because the BoS want to be the.ones who provide water. They basically are pulling the same trick as the NCR in the Freeside.

Edit: fun fact. BoS backward is SoB
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    To be fair, the Enclave want to fill the purifier with poison, don't they?
    Neither of these are strictly true.

Eden wanted to poison the stuff, yes, but Autumn decided to rebel and was pursuing a different plan that did not involve poisoning the water. Instead, he was planning on using it as the carrot to complement the murder-stick in his regime. And keeping it safely out of the hands of anybody who refused to bow down. The Brotherhood, on the other hand, was apparently distributing it for free to anyone who wanted it unless they were raiders/slavers.

They won't even sell it to Raiders/Slavers.

17. - Top - End - #257

Except why would the Brotherhood care that the Enclave activated the Purifier? They were going to retake Jeffy Memory, so it shouldnt make a lick of a difference who pushed the button.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Except why would the Brotherhood care that the Enclave activated the Purifier? They were going to retake Jeffy Memory, so it shouldnt make a lick of a difference who pushed the button.
    They couldn't know for sure what the Enclave was planning to do with it beyond that they wanted it functional, and Lyons doesn't sound terribly surprised if you tell him about the special Genocide-in-a-can Eden gives you.

Still, you're basically right. Unless they were to wait long enough for Autumn to establish a stronger power base and start gathering followers, there was no real reason for the Brotherhood to move in like it was urgent.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't forget that the Brotherhood of Steel has already fought and won one war against the Enclave, and they know EXACTLY how insane and genocidal the Enclave was last time they tangled. Allowing an enemy that unhinged to control a vital strategic resource for even a few days would be anathema to most professional soldiers even if the enemy didn't have a known bioweapons program that they'd already shown themselves to be willing, even eager, to use.

20. - Top - End - #260

Flumph

Remember that in Fallout 3 pressing the button is the Lone Wanderer's super special awesome destiny and that you are an ungrateful little **** if you wanted the people immune to radiation to press the button in the radiation room.

That's why it's important who presses the button. Because it's important damn you!

21. - Top - End - #261
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Remember that in Fallout 3 pressing the button is the Lone Wanderer's super special awesome destiny and that you are an ungrateful little **** if you wanted the people immune to radiation to press the button in the radiation room.

That's why it's important who presses the button. Because it's important damn you!
    That drove a buddy of mine CRAZY. I remember him going, "The hell, my buddy is a GHOUL that's immune to radiation!"

I do wonder how that fact escaped the developers attention. What's heroic(or even pragmatic) about dying a pointless death?
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    That drove a buddy of mine CRAZY. I remember him going, "The hell, my buddy is a GHOUL that's immune to radiation!"

I do wonder how that fact escaped the developers attention. What's heroic(or even pragmatic) about dying a pointless death?
    Charon is too chicken to go into the room that is harmless to him while Sarah Lyons casually walks into certain death at your word.

Seems legit.

(Though the human companions' reactions are hilarious and mostly justified. Jericho knows what's up.)

23. - Top - End - #263

Flumph

On the other hand you can also have a robot, a person with an explosive collar you control, or a super mutant. A super mutant who has already walked into lethal radiation to retrieve a plot coupon for you, establishing their ability to do so!

(Bethesda aren't particularly good at the whole writing business, they're more about the "wide as an ocean, shallow as a puddle" world design business).

24. - Top - End - #264

Just stop thinking of it as some plot hole, and try to understand it as a plot point.

Basically: the BoS wanted to.make sure a BoS member pressed the button. Its a PR stunt meant to make themselves look good across the Capital Wasteland.

Guess why the first thing done to you in Broken Steel is being named a Knight?!

They intimidated your follower into not be intervening. Thats all.

25. - Top - End - #265

Kobold

I was always kinda curious how exactly one "controls" the purified water- Doesn't the whole lake get cleaned up? How do you restrict access to an entire lake?
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    I was always kinda curious how exactly one "controls" the purified water- Doesn't the whole lake get cleaned up? How do you restrict access to an entire lake?
    There's no lake, really. Ingame I think the entire Potomac river gets cleansed due to the coding, but in-story I think it's mostly just that water basin right outside the Jefferson Memorial.

As for how you protect it, guns. Lots of guns.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    There's no lake, really. Ingame I think the entire Potomac river gets cleansed due to the coding, but in-story I think it's mostly just that water basin right outside the Jefferson Memorial.

As for how you protect it, guns. Lots of guns.
    Also, keep in mind in real life the Jefferson is very close to the confluence of two rivers. The Potomac might be cleansed, but I would imagine you wouldn't have to get too far away from the Tidal Basin for contamination from the other river to mess it up again. Although who knows what a nuclear apocalypse does to river flow and geography...

28. - Top - End - #268

I would have to wonder what in hell powers Project Purity.

I mean.. New Vegas's struggle for power is way more memorable than Fallout 3's struggle for water.. Made me realize the difficulty of securing reliable power sources...

29. - Top - End - #269

I would have to wonder what in hell powers Project Purity.

I mean.. New Vegas's struggle for power is way more memorable than Fallout 3's struggle for water.. Made me realize the difficulty of securing reliable power sources...
    The thing about New Vegas is there are plenty of water bodies. You just have to clear out the mirelurks first. If radiation is an issue they've shown ways of handling it in limited doses so there's no immediacy.

Power though? Generating electricity without massive amounts of resources that no longer exist is a huge issue in the wasteland. Stuff like solar and hydro are the only real options and those are clearly not ideal given how easy they are to throw into a spin.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

I always assumed they'd plugged it into the presumably still extant power reactors from Rivet City. Though possibly those were salvaged before the clearing of the ship.

And the BoS actually delivers water to Raiders. If you head to Evergreen Mills, they've been dropping water there, outside a known bandit hideout.