Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] Cardea-World's Largest Dungeon

Player Character Race Class Role 3.5/PF/Brew Senses Listen/Search/Spot
    Dunkoro Camilla Stonehand Dwærrow Ætherforge Battlefield Controller Brew Darkvision 60 ft. +5/+1/+9
    Ishcumbeebeeda Shax Malphest Human Warlock Blaster/Support Brew None +1/+2/+1
    Simba Ross Topazsmither Earth Dwarf Crusader Big Stupid Fighter 3.5 Darkvision 60 ft. -1/+1/-1
    TooManySecrets Rosheen Sigurdottir Human Artificer BSF/Support Brew None +0/+7/+0
    Jotunn Serie Almody Gnome Stargazer Blaster/Healer Brew Low Light Vision +3/+8/+5
    RustyVenture Exim Timidis Human Wizard Debuffer 3.5 None +0/+4/+0

Roll20 Map

Hey there all! Please choose a speech color and read through some misc. things.

• Out of combat rate: I'd like to keep the game moving. Momentum is hard to get back when you lose it in PbP. I'd like a minimum of a post once every two days. If this becomes an issue for you, please tell me ahead of time. I'd like to avoid having the game crash to a halt because, say, Ingot isn't able to confirm yes or no to NPC #1389.
    • In combat rate: Same as above, but if you can't post, I'll be using your character for you. I'll figure out what options are suitable for your character, or you can do me up a Tactics selection similar to how they do them in some of the misc. Monster Manuals.
    • My posting: As long as at least one person responds, I will be responding each day. We're hardcore like that.
    • Format: Same as most others. Color your speech, italicize your thoughts and put your mechanics in a spoiler.

Spoiler: Original CCG
    Show
    A millennia ago, the celestials built a great dungeon. Within it, the celestials erected mammoth walls, locks, doors, and traps. It warded off those who would enter, but also walled in those who would escape: it was a dungeon larger than any ever known. Within it the celestials imprisoned hellish undead, demonic beasts, and fiendish monstrosities.
    It was a perfect construction. Before the first dwarf would ever be born to sculpt stone, angels and celestials carved a work of art that no one would ever see. Perfect in every detail, it would stand inviolate for thousands of years. But none can say why the god's ordered demons and liches to be entombed and not destroyed. And in time, the gods would rue their mercy. For the tomb has cracked, it has opened, and while two titans now stand in eternal vigil, to keep what is inside from coming out, some have taken up a sword, knowing or unknowingly, to delve inside...

The World's Largest Dungeon.

System: 3.5
    Player Count: 6
    Style of Play: Dungeoncrawl, but expect normal D&D playstyle
    Allowed Content:

• By default, official 3.5 material is allowed, but see below.
    • Certain material is questionable, because of how it can be executed. In order to use anything from here, you'll have to ask, and make a good case. They are the following: Dragon Magazine, Dungeon Magazine BoED, Complete Champion, Unearthed Arcana, all forms of Leadership.
    • If you wish to use Homebrew, it must be well-organized, easy to make sense of, and balanced, for it to be reviewed for whether or not you can use it.
    • I have all printed material for 3.5, both books and magazine. Just ask, and we'll see what we can do.
    • If you wanted to use something from an online article from dnd.com, just replace 'www' with 'archive' in the URL.
    • If there are minor fixes or errors you'd like brought up to my attention, such as giving the Fighter a few more skills, just ask. I'm pretty flexible.

Character Creation:

• Backstory: Tell me who you are, why you are in your chosen profession, and choose one of the reasons below. You don't necessarily have to choose those reasons, but they're the ones suggested in the book. Alternatively, if you can accomplish all of this in a ten minute background, feel free to do so.
    • Experience: First level.
    • Wealth: Average gold for your class, plus 100gp.
    • Ability Scores: 40pb
    • Hitpoints/Health: Max at first, we'll roll beyond that as we get there.
    • Alignment: PVP is blanket-banned, so try and get along.

Other Notes:
    Crafting
    Spoiler
    Show
    As there will be no magic shops to speak of, there may be an interest in crafting. In such an event, we will be using this variant. As some of the language in this is askew, here is the summary of steps:

1. Figure out the Craft Points required to make the item: it is 1/10th the item's market price.
    2. Roll a relevant Craft skill (Craft: [x] for mundane, Spellcraft for magical); your result is how many Craft Points you generate each hour that you work on the item.
    3a. Pay material costs equal to one-half the item's market price; I recommend making trophies out of what you kill.
    3b. If you are making a magic item, you must the normal experience point cost in gold.
    4. Work until you finish the item, adding up your Craft skill result for each hour you spend working on the item.

This variant is used to A: remove XP cost for creating items, and B: Make the amount of time you spend on making an item decrease based on how powerful/skillful your character is.

Reasons To Be In The Dungeon:
    Spoiler
    Show
    These are the plot hooks to wind up in the WLD. Choose one, roll for one, or make a new one entirely. Your choice.
    1. Glory. Is there any other reason?
    2. A holy order - knowing of the Dungeon's presence - built a monastery over it. Waiting for the "sign bearers/chosen ones" to arrive, they invite the PCs in. It has remained a secret, until now.
    3. You have chased a creature into the Dungeon, and are now trapped, and must make your way out.
    4. You have fallen through a sinkhole into the first room.
    5. You are ordered on a mission by a church, guild, king, etc. to gather your belongings and begin the longest journey of your life. You are in the dark about what lies ahead.
    6. Rumors of a great artifact attract you.
    7. Rumors of gold, jewels, and treasure attract one or all of you.
    8. Omens, prophecies, and the superstitions of the peasantry, point to something evil stirring beneath the earth. "North of here, you'll find it... brewing its demon seed. It's evil. More evil than you can imagine, my friend. Saw it with my own eyes, I did."
    9. You are summoned by your deity to complete an important quest. Your deity is unclear on the details, but a journey north to an abandoned cave and a visit with a titan are required.
    10. You are summoned by your deity to complete an important quest. Your deity speaks to you in visions, drawing you to toward something.
    11. You are summoned by your deity to complete an important quest. Your deity speaks to you in visions, drawing you to free something.
    12. Hunted, you take refuge in a cave to wait out your attacker(s). However, where you hide is in the Dungeon.
    13. You wait out a storm in a nearby cave, and once inside, you discover the Dungeon.
    14. Creatures from the Dungeon make it to the surface somehow, and create havoc and mayhem where they go. You are sent to investigate.
    15. An inexplicable earthquake rips a city. Magical divinations point to the source, miles north under a mountain foretold by seers as a place of destruction.
    16. A lost relative or friend went missing recently, and the PCs are sent to investigate.
    17. One of you inherits a piece of land located above the Dungeon.
    18. Dead guardians of the Dungeon, unquiet since they failed in their duties, haunt the land. Their bodies lie in desecrated soil, so their spirits approach you, asking them to put their remains to rest.
    19. A Dungeon has appeared; how could you resist checking it out?
    20. You were fated to come here, long, long ago, and are brought here under a power you can't quite place.

On a smaller note, your character might be here for a year or two, or more. Please think about the fact that unlike normal Dungeoncrawls, you're in here for a while. Plan accordingly, or think about what your character might do to deal with this fact.
    Last edited by Cardea; 2014-11-23 at 09:14 AM.
    Avatar drawn by Oneris, many praises and prayers be to she.
    I am writing a post-love romance novel. Please ask me about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajadea View Post
    Your $0.02 is a very large $0.02, Cardea.
    Everyone: Have had internet issues for the past while. They are fixed now. Posting resumes.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Cardea-World's Largest Dungeon

Wow, a post every day!? HARDCORE!

Serie will speak in Orange as dark as her soul.
    Spoiler: GitP Games
    Show
    Playing:
    The Dead World IC OOC, with Prince Oliver

GMing:
    Reign of Winter AP: IC OOC
    Amazing White Mage Avatar by Shades of Gray

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I will claim my ever-favourite colour of 'Teal' as mine.

I would be perfectly fine with a requirement of few posts a day, but I understand not everyone has the kind of time to dedicate.
    Last edited by Dunkoro; 2014-09-14 at 01:38 PM.
    "You mean, more than those who believe stories of demons
    being summoned, and the ultimate war of good and evil,
    and barons who bathe in blood of virgins?"
    "Well, yes. Didn't quite buy that?"
    "I don't believe in virgins."

- Steven Brust, "Jheegala"

This sentence is false.

Thanks to Kymme for awesome avatar

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jötunn View Post
    Wow, a post every day!? HARDCORE!

Serie will speak in Orange as dark as her soul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunkoro View Post
    I will claim my ever-favourite colour of Teal as mine.

I would be perfectly fine with a requirement of few posts a day, but I understand not everyone has the kind of time to dedicate.
    To clarify, I'd like it if people would post that frequently. I can't imagine that it will be, in fact, happening, but its what I'd be after.

I'd be posting every day, provided at least one person posts with something for me to respond to.
    Everyone: Have had internet issues for the past while. They are fixed now. Posting resumes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I will use Fire Brick for Ross.
    Last edited by Simba; 2014-09-14 at 12:42 PM.
    Life's back to normal, more or less. The usual chaos.

Act well before thinking!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I will use Indigo, the most terrifying color for Exim.

I can definitely do once a day posting, and likely more frequently. I just hope our lack of a healer doesn't kill us in this place.

edit: Cardea, how would you like to handle prepared spells?
    Last edited by RustyVenture; 2014-09-14 at 03:18 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by RustyVenture View Post
    I will use Indigo, the most terrifying color for Exim.

I can definitely do once a day posting, and likely more frequently. I just hope our lack of a healer doesn't kill us in this place.
    Jotunn's character is somewhat a healer. It's even written in the table

If you need a dedicated healer go back to your World of Warcraft

This sentence is false.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkoro View Post
    Jotunn's character is somewhat a healer. It's even written in the table

If you need a dedicated healer go back to your World of Warcraft
    Indeed I missed that, I'm not at all familiar with the Stargazer class and didn't see the Healer role mentioned in the table.

9. - Top - End - #9

Howdy all, Shax'll be speaking in, hmmm... hows about Dark Green. I usually like some variation of red, but I was beaten to it.
    Just lost my job, posting will be sporadic for a bit. Sorry.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Waiting on TMS to show up, and then we'll get this show on the road.

11. - Top - End - #11

Indeed I missed that, I'm not at all familiar with the Stargazer class and didn't see the Healer role mentioned in the table.
    I can heal everyone (within 5ft of me, although that won't matter out of combat) for 1d6 hp every minute. The timer is per person, and it will heal an extra 1d6 per level when we level up plus other effects: larger aura, buffs etc.

EDIT: Also I was joking about the posting every other day being hardcore - I should be able to manage once a day most of the time.
    Last edited by Jötunn; 2014-09-15 at 12:10 AM.
    Show
    Playing:

GMing:

12. - Top - End - #12

I should also be good with once per day most of the time, and, depending on exactly when others wind up online, maybe even several times per day.

13. - Top - End - #13

Reposting sheet:

Rosheen Sigurdottir, Initiate of the Ordo Magos

Spoiler
    Show

Sheet

Personality: Knightly and courtly. As a member of the Ordo Magos, Rosheen is expected to be able to behave properly, whether dancing at the court and fighting on the battlefield. Professional without being too severe. Could probably stand to get a better sense of humor, though she's at least passingly familiar with the concept of a joke. Dedicated to becoming a knight and, until she's able to temper that with trust and camaraderie, is liable to come off as uptight.

Appearance: Tall by most standards, but especially for a woman. Darker skin, black hair, blue eyes. She's handsome because her features aren't gentle enough to be pretty. Physically fit, but the type of fitness that comes from long hours of repetitive work and not body building.

Background: The Ordo Magos is a well-respected but unusual knightly order. They're most known for teaching a philosophy of using magical and physical might in accord. As the youngest daughter of a minor baron and with no other hope for advancement, Rosheen Sigurdottir joined the Ordo to bring prestige and honor to herself and her family. Rosheen's aptitude and intuitive understanding of magical enchantments meant that she welcomed with open arms into the Ordo.

For the past 6 years, she has been training as a squire: seeing to the needs of the initiates, learning her duties, training her body and her mind, and delving deep into the secrets of magic. Dedicated and persistent as always, she achieved the rank of Initiate Magos during her 18th year. The Ordo Magos believes that experience is the best teacher and test. They require all of their initiates to complete a task worthy of recognition before they can be knighted. While most initiates wait several years before starting, Intitiate Magos Rosheen left on her quest as soon as possible. She joined up with the party with the hope that she will be find her grand quest.

She has no idea what she has gotten herself into.

Party Position: Big Stupid Fighter, Trapfinder, Support. Artificer is a pretty dang flexible class. However, it also takes a while for it to come into its own. Since I'm playing a theurge (Artificer and Incarnum) and I'm trying to make a melee character out of two classes which aren't normally melee characters, this goes doubly. Trapfinder abilities are almost always going to be level appropriate (since they're Artificer class skills), Support abilities are going to lag a bit before they suddenly become really good, and BSF abilities are going to be normal at first, then weakened a bit, and then start picking up when I can start crafting weapons around ECL 5 to 7. Greatly appreciates having somebody else in the party who can scout, so that I can buff properly. In short, Rosheen Siggurdottir can be an asset to any party — as long as she survives the early levels.

• Melee artificer, which means I'm going to be doing some weird stuff to make it work.
    • Eventually going into Soul Tinker.
    • Rosheen will speak in Azure.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, / Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit / Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line, / Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Jötunn View Post
    I can heal everyone (within 5ft of me, although that won't matter out of combat) for 1d6 hp every minute. The timer is per person, and it will heal an extra 1d6 per level when we level up plus other effects: larger aura, buffs etc.
    Very cool, I look forward to seeing it in play. Sounds like a very interesting build.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

We'll be starting in the morning, folks. Stay tuned.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

What's your time zone Cardea? It's 5:51 in the morning hereabouts :)
    Life's back to normal, more or less. The usual chaos.

Act well before thinking!

17. - Top - End - #17

It's 1:13AM where I am. That's the morning... technically.

Oh, and I've been meaning to ask; how's the novel going Cardea?
    Last edited by Ishcumbeebeeda; 2014-09-16 at 12:14 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Sorry guys it's all my fault - 3 in the afternoon here.
    Show
    Playing:

GMing:

19. - Top - End - #19

Well, aren't we a diverse group, time-wise at least.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

If you haven't already, please have some sort of background for your character.

Here is an IC thread. There is a link in the first post as well.

Edit: Ish: Its coming along. Memory is weird, so it makes writing the book weird, but its coming along.
    Last edited by Cardea; 2014-09-16 at 07:13 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Here's my sheet w/ some background:

Exim Timidis
    M TN Human (Rashemi) Wizard, Level 1, Init +2, HP 6/6, Speed 30
    AC 12, Touch 12, Flat-footed 10, Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Light Crossbow (Bolts x10) (1d8, 19–20/×2)
    (+2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 15
    Condition None

Spoiler
    Show

Description:
    Exim is a small but somewhat imposing man. With dark eyes, sharp features and black disheveled hair, he strikes many as someone to avoid.Exim has no friends or family to speak of.
    After showing no interest or aptitude in the martial arts his family has practiced for centuries, he was cast out at the age of 12. He spent the next 7 years wandered the land, begging and stealing to survive. After robbing a young wizard of their books three years ago, he worked hard to master the knowledge within and sought to use the arcane arts to intimidate and overpower those who would stand in his way.

Personality:
    He is rather quiet, but his silence masks a calculating and rather cold view of the world. Exim believes power and fear are the keys to getting what you want, and that a someone who fears you is someone whom you control absolutely.

Background:
    Exim joined the party after he was impressed by their handling of a group of bandits. While he feels very little loyalty to the group as a whole, he feels strongly that power begets power and that in order to get stronger he needs to work with those who are also strong. He followed his new group mates to the base of a great mountain where he felt compelled to climb to the summit due to a feeling of great power. Climbing the mountain was the first time in many years he truly felt like he had a clear purpose and direction in his life. He has no idea what he has gotten himself into.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

My crop went poorly, but on the right hand side of the picture you should see a door in the wall.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I realize I never prepared spells. I will post them here unless you have a better system in mind:

Lvl 0: Touch of Fatigue, Daze, Acid Splash
    Lvl 1: Color Spray, Magic Missile (Bonus), Disguise Self (Domain)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I realize I never prepared spells. I will post them here unless you have a better system in mind:

Lvl 0: Touch of Fatigue, Daze, Acid Splash
    Lvl 1: Color Spray, Magic Missile (Bonus), Disguise Self (Domain)
    Typically, I see people having the spells they prepare on their spell lists near the bottom. If they're a class that has a spellbook, they have their spellbook spells listed separately on a post they made on the first page, or at the bottom of their sheet, underneath or above background. See here.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Sounds good. I will make that change later today. My prepared spells will go in the spells section while the spellbook will go into the Other Notes section.

26. - Top - End - #26

We probably want Rosheen searching rooms with Serie using aid another to boost the check. 'Course, that's assuming that Cardea is putting a limit on aid another - otherwise, everybody who can aids except for whoever is on watch.

The reason that I suggest that Rosheen be the searcher instead of Serie (even though Serie has a higher check by 1), is that artificers have trapfinding so she'll be able to find magical traps and traps with DC 20+. I think that the 5% chance of missing something is a fair trade for being able to find the harder traps, but that's just my opinion.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, / Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit / Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line, / Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

27. - Top - End - #27

But traps are fun!

...yes, Rosheen should search.

Spell-wise, the four illuminations I have prepared have dashes before them. I also always have my complex formula(s) prepared, although I can only use them 1/encounter, and I only have one at the moment.
    Show
    Playing:

GMing:

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

That works for me. Exim will likely stick to the middle of the group or the tail, as he definitely can't take much damage. It'll be a few levels before his better debuffing skills come into play.

29. - Top - End - #29

Camilla will also rather stick to the middle. Even though she could withstand some punishment, right now her main (read: only) source of damage is AEther Shard (read: Crystal Shard).

This sentence is false.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

So, what are you guys going to do?