New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar And Other Oddities Questions Thread 5!

Quote Originally Posted by Larkas View Post
    Hmmmm... Could it be... The first exemplar to hold Talisid's post?
    I debated that one as well, hard to say based on the evidence but an interesting question.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

May as well finish. I'm here and await your final questions and guess.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Are erinyes capable of intercepting summoning/calling spells cast by mortals attempting to get a celestial (specifically an aasimon)? Are any other baatezu (or possibly yugoloths) capable of doing so, and also superficially appearing angelic?

I need the answer to help with speculation in the Fan Comics section.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Are erinyes capable of intercepting summoning/calling spells cast by mortals attempting to get a celestial (specifically an aasimon)? Are any other baatezu (or possibly yugoloths) capable of doing so, and also superficially appearing angelic?
    Not as a general rule, no. Someone might have figured out a way to jack a summons, but it would be a very individual thing. As a species they have no such power. It's more likely that they're on the prowl and looking for idiots who think they're casting a summoning spell.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

Is there anything we know in particular, or that you have in your headcanon, about the original creator(s) of the Codex of the Infinite Planes?

And what it does or represents beyond the rules? It grants powers to the owner if their minds can handle learning the knowledge without going crazy, so is it a repository of knowledge? What do we know is actually written there? Records of how the planes function, their scope and details, perhaps?

It's been referred to as "Yagrax's Tome" - who was Yagrax?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    May as well finish. I'm here and await your final questions and guess.
    Well, I've been starring at the computer for half an hour puzzling over all the questions and little hints and admit I'm at a loss. Sooo......

Q20 [The Guess]: The Queen of Law?

Yes, a complete throw out wild guess, because.

Sad thing is I think you basically brushed past what it is in a bid to figure out why
    Yeah, that's true. Probably because questions like "does it have scales" wouldn't be much help in figuring out which creature in Canon it was when the assumption was it existed in Canon.

Though the "does it have scales" 20 questions guess the monster version sounds like it would be fun as well.
    Last edited by Brookshw; 2014-09-24 at 07:13 AM.
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    Is there anything we know in particular, or that you have in your headcanon, about the original creator(s) of the Codex of the Infinite Planes?
    Haven't given it much thought yet for my own headcanon, but canonical sources give no information except to suggest that no mortal could have crafted the thing. Surprise surprise.

And what it does or represents beyond the rules? It grants powers to the owner if their minds can handle learning the knowledge without going crazy, so is it a repository of knowledge? What do we know is actually written there? Records of how the planes function, their scope and details, perhaps?
    If this is a topic of sufficient curiosity I may have to devote some time to creating content for it.

It's been referred to as "Yagrax's Tome" - who was Yagrax?
    The idiot wizard-priest who sank the Isles of Woe with the tome, and its earliest recorded "owner" from Oerth/general canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Well, I've been starring at the computer for half an hour puzzling over all the questions and little hints and admit I'm at a loss. Sooo......

Q20 [The Guess]: The Queen of Law?
    Snrk.

Yeah, that's true. Probably because questions like "does it have scales" wouldn't be much help in figuring out which creature in Canon it was when the assumption was it existed in Canon.
    Yeah, the problem is that you were looking for an identity rather than just trying to suss out the nature of the thing. You were doomed from the outset.

However, since you (and others) were such a good sport about the game, I'm going to give you the answer regardless. Spoilered for anyone who doesn't want to know:

Spoiler: The Prisoner of Elysium
    Show
    And once you know, you can't un-know.
    Spoiler: Yes I get it take me to the secret
    Show
    Are you sure?
    Spoiler: Yes I'm sure. Kick open the final gate!
    Show
    The First Fallen

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

BWAHAHAHA

I even considered that a while back and immediately discounted it. Ah well, fun game and I like your headcanon.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

BWAHAHAHA

I even considered that a while back and immediately discounted it. Ah well, fun game and I like your headcanon.
    I know you did. I watched it go zwooom as it passed. Ultimately, I think it's the best answer; it's certainly the most terrifying possibility that could reasonably be confined, and given what it is the embodiment of, it makes a ton of sense for them to keep it hidden. Also explains why Belierin sucks.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

I know you did. I watched it go zwooom as it passed. Ultimately, I think it's the best answer; it's certainly the most terrifying possibility that could reasonably be confined, and given what it is the embodiment of, it makes a ton of sense for them to keep it hidden.
    Yeah, I can certainly see the logic
    Also explains why Belierin sucks.
    there's a surprising amount of suckage on the plane in odd corners, like that funky graveyard a layer up. You'd think celestials might do something about that (or not, I can get why it is what it is).

Spoiler: things related to game/answer
    Show
    any headcanon on why it, ya know. Also what was up with InterrogativeXayide, I did a fair amount of poking around on that one but don't see much of a connection though I haven't read the story in quite a while.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

any headcanon on why
    Nope. Of course, I have a fondness for Wrath.

Also what was up with InterrogativeXayide
    Oh. I was trying to inveigle you into using up your questions and in doing so destroying yourself (figuratively). Like an interrogative version of Xayide.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Anyway, now that that's done with, let's have more questions!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

What's the most evil thing Iggwilv did?

(Thinking about doing a fanfic in which she's the protagonist, want to figure out just how much needs to be rationalized.)
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

What creatures are native to the reign of dreams? Is it any sleeping creature, since they exist in the world as they sleep? Do the creatures created as a part of a dream count as natives (I.e., you dream about an iron golem, does that both make your dream self and the iron golem natives, despite the golem not dreaming?).p

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    What's the most evil thing Iggwilv did?

(Thinking about doing a fanfic in which she's the protagonist, want to figure out just how much needs to be rationalized.)
    Ehh... honestly, she's not done much. I suppose supplying armies of fiends to Iuz or waging war on Perrenland would both be kind of evil.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If Fharlanghn were prevented from accessing the Prime Material Plane, What location(s) would he make his home? I know he sometimes wanders some of the Elemental Planes, but surely there would be some places hospitable to him in the Outer Planes such as the Outlands or limbo.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Barbarian in the Playground

Why is the Great Mother CE when her chosen race is LE? Not too mention, the Occular Adept requires NE or LE(which is 2 steps naway from her, thus should be unable to grab divine spells from).
    Last edited by *.*.*.*; 2014-09-25 at 10:38 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Do you know it there's any truth to the rumored character Center-of-All? I don't think I've seen any references outside of Faces of Sigil.

Speaking of that book, what's with the arcane's/mercane's avoidance of Sigil? Something to do with the Planar Consortium? Seems like a great market opportunity (though maybe not so much the spelljammer helm business). I guess later there's union for them and doing business under a certain shadow might be a concern, but still...

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    What creatures are native to the reign of dreams?
    None canonically, though you could certainly use dream element creatures (Dragon 287) and steal eidolons, hobs and spellshadows from Dal Quor easily enough (Dragon 324).

Quote Originally Posted by Asrrin View Post
    If Fharlanghn were prevented from accessing the Prime Material Plane, What location(s) would he make his home? I know he sometimes wanders some of the Elemental Planes, but surely there would be some places hospitable to him in the Outer Planes such as the Outlands or limbo.
    I would imagine he could wander just about everywhere, but I feel like the Outlands and Shurrock are both just really good places for him. Ysgard wouldn't be out of sorts either.

Quote Originally Posted by *.*.*.* View Post
    Why is the Great Mother CE when her chosen race is LE?
    She's an insane primal Abyssal entity and they don't usually worship her. No curing that level of crazy. A lot of her worship comes from beholder cults (i.e. cults based around beholders).

Not too mention, the Occular Adept requires NE or LE(which is 2 steps naway from her, thus should be unable to grab divine spells from).
    The ocular adept is venerating the beholder that is serving as a proxy for the Great Mother's powers. The beholder is probably Lawful Evil.

Do you know it there's any truth to the rumored character Center-of-All? I don't think I've seen any references outside of Faces of Sigil.
    Can't think of any other references offhand. Do you have the page number in Uncaged?

Speaking of that book, what's with the arcane's/mercane's avoidance of Sigil?
    Page citation on that?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Can't think of any other references offhand. Do you have the page number in Uncaged?
    Sure do, mentioned under Rule of Three (pg. 86) and Unity of Rings (pg. 105).

Page citation on that?
    You got it, under Torholt (pg. 100, brief mention on the right column). This ones in a bit of a grey area as I could see it being parsed as to indicate particular arcane's that won't enter but its strange to call out any race at all rather than just "customers" (or whatever) that won't enter Sigil. (Likewise the idea there's a suitable enough number that avoid it as to justify mention I imagine would be pointing to something deeper,.....or is simply wrong).

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Sure do, mentioned under Rule of Three (pg. 86) and Unity of Rings (pg. 105).
    Yeah, no other references.

You got it, under Torholt (pg. 100, brief mention on the right column). This ones in a bit of a grey area as I could see it being parsed as to indicate particular arcane's that won't enter but its strange to call out any race at all rather than just "customers" (or whatever) that won't enter Sigil. (Likewise the idea there's a suitable enough number that avoid it as to justify mention I imagine would be pointing to something deeper,.....or is simply wrong).
    No, it's quite correct. The arcane do not want to enter Sigil.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, no other references.
    Shame, sounded like a bit of flavorful fun.

No, it's quite correct. The arcane do not want to enter Sigil.
    Right, okay, so back to the "what's up with that"?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Shame, sounded like a bit of flavorful fun.
    Well, it is. It would be unfun to distinctly identify something rather than leaving it as a rumor and option for DMs. That's the Planescape way.

Right, okay, so back to the "what's up with that"?
    The arcane don't like setting up permanent shops, trading with exemplars (particularly fiends), being separated from their network, or the possibility of ending up stranded without a way back out. Sigil isn't a good environment for them.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Five pages and stagnating already. Sadness.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Bugbear in the Playground

Been busy recently but I don't want this thread to die!:

The Blood Queen doesn't really seem to lend herself well to being used in-game. She doesn't really do anything. Do you have any ideas for incorporating her into the plot of a game?

From the PM you replied to me with (I'm quoting it):

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma
    Quote Originally Posted by 123456789blaaa
    Quick question: By non-dumb fluff, which creature types have souls?

There's been some talk over on the MinMaxBoards about creating more incarnum classes based on the various creature types. There's already Magical Beast (Totemist), Aberrations (Warpsouls), and Plants (Green Man). While I'd love to see more based on Elementals, Fey, Constructs, and Oozes, I'm not sure if the fluff would fit. Incarnum is soul energy after all.
    Fey have souls. Elementals are "souls" = their essence is their body and vice versa. Constructs almost always do not have souls, but it's not impossible to install one. It wouldn't be native to the construct, though. Oozes also very rarely have souls; an ooze with a soul is more likely an aberration (such as a phasm).
    Given that nature/lack of souls of these creature types, do you think Totemist-equivalents would be inappropriate from a fluff perspective?

Do all mindless creatures not have souls? If you raise ones intelligence, does it gain a soul?

Do all souls come from from the Positive Energy Plane? Including elemental souls/Obyrith souls/etc?

You've said previously that the Plane of Shadow-similar to the Para-elemental Planes- is a mixture of the Positive and Negative Energy Planes. Now, before it was previously a demi-plane before becoming a full plane. Does this mean the Para/Quasi/etc Elemental Planes used to be demi-planes?

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Phirblas, dabus that know how to spell? How do they fit into things (conjecture is fine).

Also from the same book, scile, how much rainbow bright were the authors watching? Murky and lurky must be so proud. What is life like when you're drained of color?

27. - Top - End - #147
    Colossus in the Playground

Hm. This is more a general sentiment and I don't really know how to put it into questions, but...

There was a thread about law and chaos in D&D that made me think about "weirdness". I sort of feel that all exemplars should be, to a degree, alien, but how even Planescape often does a bad job of showing them that way. Some come close, but in the end, all their motives feel remarkably human, sometimes, just bigger, grander. Which also makes sense, of course, given that they are born from human beliefs, but is also a bit disappointing sometimes.

So, I think a good starting question is: can you think of anything, preferably an exemplar, that is both good and utterly strange and alien in mindset?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    So, I think a good starting question is: can you think of anything, preferably an exemplar, that is both good and utterly strange and alien
    Well, there's the ancient equivalent to the eladrins, whatever they are...
    in mindset?
    ...possibly.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 123456789blaaa View Post
    Been busy recently but I don't want this thread to die!:

The Blood Queen doesn't really seem to lend herself well to being used in-game. She doesn't really do anything. Do you have any ideas for incorporating her into the plot of a game?
    In what capacity? I could see using her in a game.

Given that nature/lack of souls of these creature types, do you think Totemist-equivalents would be inappropriate from a fluff perspective?
    Yes.

Do all mindless creatures not have souls?
    A creature which is naturally mindless does not have a soul. It has an animus, which is the spiritual equivalent of basic clockwork.

If you raise ones intelligence, does it gain a soul?
    If I blast your Intelligence down to zero, your soul doesn't stop existing. A change in Intelligence is simply magic adding extra doodads to the functioning of the animus. Entities such as bacteria, protists, diatoms, microzooa, plankton, algae, hell even trees all have animi rather than souls. If a demon lord could just awaken a snack whenever desired, life would get quite silly. This is why awaken is transmutation rather than necromancy.

Do all souls come from from the Positive Energy Plane? Including elemental souls/Obyrith souls/etc?
    Yes and no. In the sense that the Outer Planes are constituted via the Inner Planes, yes - but the soul of an Obyrith forms from the Abyss itself; it is not preincarnate in the Positive Energy Plane. Similarly, while it's likely that the existence of the Positive and Negative Planes had some strange influence on the Inner Planes, an elemental isn't "one part Positive in an element shell."

Does this mean the Para/Quasi/etc Elemental Planes used to be demi-planes?
    No.

Phirblas, dabus that know how to spell? How do they fit into things (conjecture is fine).
    I really have no headcanon on them yet. In the meantime, they're there to add to the mystery.

Also from the same book, scile, how much rainbow bright were the authors watching? Murky and lurky must be so proud. What is life like when you're drained of color?
    Oh come on, how can you not like scile? Scile are awesome. And life sucks when they've had their way with you - you're not gray, you're transparent. Invisible. Light will not strike you. You can't even see yourself. Fortunately, if you have magic friends (you do, you went to the Plane of Radiance) it's fairly easily fixed, but until then you'll be fumbling around a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    So, I think a good starting question is: can you think of anything, preferably an exemplar, that is both good and utterly strange and alien in mindset?
    Mercurial. Not an exemplar, but definitely an outsider and definitely alien. If we're just going for "good-aligned but alien," silthilar.

But really, I agree with you, I feel like people are too reductivist when it comes to the mindsets of exemplars. Modrons and slaad aren't actually funny at all; devils, demons and yugoloths are all horrific on levels we fail to fathom; archons, guardinals and eladrins are basically putting on a veneer of approachability for the benefit of mortals.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2014-09-26 at 05:16 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The Tome of Magic's version of Dantalion may be the collective ancestral rulers of some cosmic empire that the Gods took down. Any indication of which gods were offended by this empire, and if it fit anywhere in the Spelljammer universe?
    Last edited by JohnnyCancer; 2014-09-27 at 12:03 AM.