New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Googling for relevant maps

I'm starting a campaign soon, and want to limit the mapmaking I have to do. The problem is, Google Maps doesn't seem to have a strong indexing system to allow for filtered searches.

Can anybody advise me on finding maps of things like "a small settlement in the desert" or "a small lake in the mountains"? Note that these aren't my actual search terms (I know who's likely to read this!), so methodology is useful but links to such maps are not.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Googling for relevant maps

I'd suggest hitting up Wikipedia as a first starting point. There are categories at the bottom of articles which you can browse.
    For example, if you look up Las Vegas, it will have the category "Cities in the Mojave desert". If you click that and scroll to the bottom *there*, you will find it is a subcategory of "Populated places in the Mojave desert".
    You can also click the word "categories" itself to get a site with helpful advice for browsing categories.

From there, you have a name which you can google.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    But you, as DM, have to be prepared for the PCs to do something stupid and self-destructive, because they will. They can't help it. They're like adorable homicidal children with pennies near a light socket, except that the pennies are chainsaws and the light socket is your plot. Also, the chainsaws are on fire.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Googling for relevant maps

Loki has good stuff. It's also not a bad idea, if you have time to kill, to simply browse Maps or Earth and see what looks right in about the area you want.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.